What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 4Team vs Penrith

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fui used to hit all the time when he first came into the NRL (probably before then too). But a few suspensions slowed him right down.

IFR33K

Coach
Hopefully sandow proves us doubters wrong, and rips in.

Mentally, I think this is a must win.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This side has some serious try scoring ability, just needs to be able to defend. I cant remember another eels side with so many players that have the ability to come up with something special/have attacking ability. The following players all have the ability to do something special in attack/be game breakers:

Hayne
Semi
Tonga
Hoppa
Norman
Sandow
Paulo
Edwards
Manu

We have 9 players some sides struggle to have 2-3 game breakers

caylo

Bench
Wouldn't put Paulo or Edwards in that category but otherwise I agree that our backline is class and they need to continue to see early ball and Hayne needs to get more involved wider earlier in sets, ie like running and inside line of mau

Eelementary

Post Whore
Wouldn't put Paulo or Edwards in that category but otherwise I agree that our backline is class and they need to continue to see early ball and Hayne needs to get more involved wider earlier in sets, ie like running and inside line of mau

I dunno, mate - Paulo has many negatives to his game, but his attack (not in terms of hit ups) is good.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
This side has some serious try scoring ability, just needs to be able to defend. I cant remember another eels side with so many players that have the ability to come up with something special/have attacking ability. The following players all have the ability to do something special in attack/be game breakers:

Hayne
Semi
Tonga
Hoppa
Norman
Sandow
Paulo
Edwards
Manu

So many game breakers. We sure are lucky to have such a lineup.

#wegotdis

forward pass

Coach

Hayne
Semi
Tonga
Hoppa
Norman
Sandow
Paulo
Edwards
Manu

Which explains why we went two complete halves without scoring a try.

eel01s

Bench
To be fair we did butcher a few tries in the first half against Manly!

Seriously though I like how both Edwards and Mau use their footwork at the line. If Arthur can get runners to follow these guys we could be scoring a lot more.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
To be fair we did butcher a few tries in the first half against Manly!

Seriously though I like how both Edwards and Mau use their footwork at the line. If Arthur can get runners to follow these guys we could be scoring a lot more.

that's what players like paulo and kelly should be doing. kelly did demonstrate some ability to support when he first started, taking on more organisational responsibilities seemed to have diminished this in his game, then taking a backseat to norman with kicking and first receiver responsibilities rendered him completely useless.

if we have to play paulo, edwards and ma'u need to spend more time creating decoys and runners for him

phantom eel

First Grade
That's not a bad looking side. Surprised that Sio and Sandow both came into the team in the same week. The coach could have easily named the team as per last week but made the changes on the day, but he's got some balls and was open about dropping Kelly and Toutai after a close loss.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think this weeks side is the most potent attacking side assembled in years, the only problem is it's probably one of the worst defensive sides...

oldmancraigy

Coach
I disagree Staggs.

Just compare it to last years teams, and have a look at the 'worse' defenders by position:

1. Mullaney
3. Morgan
4. Loko
6. Roberts

Those guys were really bad defensively, or all-star bad (Mullaney/ Roberts).

Then in the pack we had powederpuffs like
11. Maitua
12. Ryan

I haven't seen a greater display of arm grabbing than those guys would offer up. Ryan was fine if they ran near him, but if they swerve away he'd plant his feet and snatch at them. Reni just didn't try on D all year.

Then you have bums like Patricia O'Hanlon off the bench.

I agree that Sandow ain't great defensively. But I personally think Sio is an upgrade over Toutai (bomb catching, speed off the mark to turn and chase to the winger/ kick in behind). And Hoppa/ Tonga aren't looking woeful in games against teams not named the Roosters.

And then think back further to any team containing the above blokes AND Nathan Smith. Oh my.

Last edited:

caylo

Bench
I dunno, mate - Paulo has many negatives to his game, but his attack (not in terms of hit ups) is good.

Just because the guy likes to stand at first receiver and shovel the ball along doesn't mean he attacks well. Comparing him to someone like Mateo lets say, Paulo is next to useless. He doesn't run to the line hard, he doesn't pass before the line, he rarely throws a decent offload. The guy just hold the ball in one hand, hops to the line and gets in the way. Not what I call a dangerous player by any means.

forward pass

Coach
I may be way behind the times, but do Wenty wear blue and gold now instead of black and white. I am guessing that is to align themselves more with us?

Latest posts