What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robbie to Retire

stryker

First Grade
Robbie carried this club on his own for a couple of years when Marshal was forever injured and no one else was consistently having a go. He did this with a buggered back. He also took a paycut in the form of delayed payments to allow others to remain at the club. Added with his premiership, these are his legacies.

He wasnt blessed with the skill of Benj, who in my opinion pips him for our best, but there is no doubt in my mind that no other player comes close to his contributions for the club. Ellis was good for a couple of years as was Hodgo and Prince but they are far behind him. Certainly a Tigers legend.

Fordy20

Juniors
I'm proud that we've got to see Farah hit 300 games and that he was wearing the Tigers jersey when he did it. Robbie has always been the epitome of the underdog spirit inherent in our club. He played such a big part in delivering the only NSW series victory in an era of Queensland dominance, but this clip below would have to be mt favourite Farah moment.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I'm proud that we've got to see Farah hit 300 games and that he was wearing the Tigers jersey when he did it. Robbie has always been the epitome of the underdog spirit inherent in our club. He played such a big part in delivering the only NSW series victory in an era of Queensland dominance, but this clip below would have to be mt favourite Farah moment.

I was standing near the tunnel.Fabulous afternoon @ the 8th wonder & what a highlight when the champion Balmain junior gave the grub watts his just desserts.

Hopefully in RF’s final season we can sneak into the 8 & cause some havoc in September.The dogged no.9 with the spartan work ethic deserves to go out having played in another finals series.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
What an incredible player and man.

I think he could have pushed himself to go on another year but unfortunately his body could not go on. He needs pain killers for each game and can no longer sit in a chair for extended periods of time. On the team bus he legitimately lies down on the floor, such is the pain in his back.

Yet you never hear him complain or moan, he goes out every week and gives 100%.

In our lean years, when Benji was often hot and cold, there was one constant - the quality of Robbie Farah. An absolute legend of the game, in my opinion in the top 3 hookers of all time, that will be around our club forever.

When I think of the Wests Tigers, I think of Robbie Farah. There is nobody alive that loves the club more than this man. I am so happy for Robbie, our fans and our club that he got to spend his last seasons at home in such great form.

Now lets make the 8 for him and try give this comp a good shake.

Tigerm

First Grade

Yep, still makes me want to do my Laurie Nichols impression.

Tigerm

First Grade
Robbie Farah announces retirement

Wests Tigers Life Member Robbie Farah has today announced his retirement from the NRL with his 17-year career set to come to an end at the conclusion of the 2019 season.

The 35-year-old will retire as the most-capped player in Wests Tigers history, having begun his first-grade career with the club in 2003.

A Leichhardt junior, Farah played his first game for Wests Tigers as a teenager — making his first-grade debut at Leichhardt Oval against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. Following Darren Senter’s retirement, Farah became the club’s primary hooker in 2005, where he played 27 matches and helped the club to its maiden Premiership victory over the North Queensland Cowboys.

The crafty number nine would go on to play 274 first-grade games in total for Wests Tigers, including 149 as captain, while also playing 26 games for the South Sydney Rabbitohs as part of his 300-game NRL career.

In addition to his vast achievements at club level, Farah has also reached numerous representative honours including eight Tests for Australia, seven Tests for Lebanon and 16 games for the New South Wales State of Origin side.

He will retire as a Life Member of Wests Tigers, the highest try-scoring hooker of all-time and one of just 39 players in Telstra Premiership history to have played 300 games. Wests Tigers Chairman Barry O’Farrell paid credit to Farah’s long-standing service to Wests Tigers.

“On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I’d like to congratulate Robbie on an incredible and distinguished rugby league career,” O’Farrell said.

“Robbie has given so much to Wests Tigers in his unwavering commitment on and off the field, and it is wonderful to recognise his career and achievements.

“His loyalty to the club, determination and toughness will be a lasting inspiration for Wests Tigers players, and it is fantastic to see him finish his time in rugby league in the colours he is so passionate about.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe praised Farah’s unquestionable passion for Wests Tigers and his service to the club throughout his career.

“It is a special occasion today to honour what has been a stellar career,” Pascoe said.

“Robbie retires as not only the most capped player in Wests Tigers history but also our most experienced captain and inaugural Life Member. He has played such a big part in making Wests Tigers what it is today, and it has been a great pleasure to have a player of his calibre and character represent this club throughout his career.

“I have no doubts that Robbie will go down as not only a great of Wests Tigers, but the greats of the game as a whole, and it’s been a privilege to have him play such a large part of his career at this club.”

Wests Tigers Head Coach Michael Maguire recognised the key role that Farah has played for the side in 2019.

“Robbie has played an incredibly important part in the history of this club, but his role in setting the direction for our team this year has been just as important,” Maguire said.

“As a leader, his competitiveness and desire to win is as high as any player in the game.

“I’ve constantly been impressed by Robbie’s focus to ensure this team is moving forward and he is determined to keep delivering on-field,” he said.

“We’ve got a big chance to deliver as a team again on Thursday night, and Robbie will continue to play a key role for us each week as we do that for the rest of this season.”

Tiger05

First Grade
The club has handled this well. Congrats to Robbie. What a career and what a player.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Legend of the game and our club.

Inaugural premiership winner. Origin captain. Captain of his country. World Cup winner. Origin series winner.

Robbie did it all and the whole time adored our club. Let’s send him out a winner!

Rhyno

First Grade
Legend of the game and our club.

Inaugural premiership winner. Origin captain. Captain of his country. World Cup winner. Origin series winner.

Robbie did it all and the whole time adored our club. Let’s send him out a winner!

Rd25 vs sharks will be hard to send him out a winner on will also be Paul Gallen last match

Robbie,

I started following the Balmain tigers the year after Newtown got the flick. We had great early success culminating in 2 GF appearances. I'm not ashamed to admit I was crying my eyes out in 89 when we couldn't quite get there.

After 90 there were 15 long years when we didn't make the finals and even picked up a spoon. These were hard times for a tigers supporter.

The back of the 2005 GF DVD says something like "not even the most hardened supporter could imagine what was to come....." How true.

But in a magnificent run spanning 14 weeks we put something special together with a blend of exciting young and hard nosed experience we saluted. This is something I had wanted to see but had frankly given up on. You were an integral part of this. I'm again not afraid to admit I cried again that night. This time it was tears of jubilation.

The years since have been mixed but one thing no one can say is that you didn't put your body on the line and give your all every single week. You set the standard.

You will fittingly see out a great career at home.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Probably the toughest player to pull on our jersey yet. Never shirked the hard stuff.

Hopefully we are still in the hunt for the finals.

Das Hassler

Bench

The icing on the cake that day was that 5 Watt bulb strutting around like a rooster with that shiteating grin all over his freckled face after getting the first shot in. ...fast forward 30 seconds and he found himself in a whole other parallel universe....one for the ages

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/cf64fd9d201fab4d698d11686dd3879b

‘A lot of you I like, some of you I don’t’ — Robbie Farah’s blunt retirement announcement

Wests Tigers champion Robbie Farah will retire as the club’s most-capped player, ending his rollercoaster NRL career at the end of the season.
He took a ‘few nips of whisky’ to calm his nerves before fronting the media on Tuesday morning, where he acknowledged his nasty exit from the club in 2016, the Rabbitohs for offering him a chance to revive his career, and Ivan Cleary for bringing him home in 2018.

It was a typically blunt press conference from the 35-year-old, who also touched on his ‘running battle’ with the media over the course of his 17-year NRL career.

“A lot of you guys I like, some of you I don’t. For various reasons, but the one thing about me is if I don’t like you, you’ll know about it,” he said.

“I guess that’s the person I am and I hope you can respect me for that. If there’s something I’ve got to say you’ll hear it from me and not anyone else. Sometimes my passion spills over and I wear my heart on my sleeve. Thank you for all you’ve done for me over my career all you good ones. All you bad ones, I’m not sorry.”

Farah finished his career with the Rabbitohs playing reserve grade, and has revealed how close he came to calling it quits.

“I called [his manager Sam Ayoub] after a game one day and told him I was done. He and a lot of family and friends talked me out of it. Thankfully they did.”

Although it would have been ideal to finish his NRL career at the same time as club legend Benji Marshall, Farah said he needed to make the decision to retire on his own regardless of what his mate is doing next season.

The anxiety and stress of preparing his body each week has become too much, and he said the opportunity to retire on his own terms at the club he loves is a dream come true.

“I actually haven’t missed a game in about three years, but getting on the field every week takes a lot of effort and a lot of work,” he said.

“There’s days I’ll see Pete Moussa (physio) in the morning and then have to go see my chiro and then my brother (physiotherapist Eddie Farah) will bring the physio table to my dad’s house at night to treat me.

“I’m working around the clock and that just becomes draining and the anxiety and stress that comes with that becomes draining.

“I think it’s more the opportunity to go out on my terms. That hasn’t always been the case in my career, and I feel like I’m playing good footy. I wouldn’t want to go a year too long and my body to break down. I’m not in good enough form, we have a couple of young hookers at the club and they go past me, I just wouldn’t want that. I feel like now the time’s right, the club’s in good hands.

“I’m just ready.”

3 years not missing a game at hooker, not a bad effort.

gordsy

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/cf64fd9d201fab4d698d11686dd3879b

‘A lot of you I like, some of you I don’t’ — Robbie Farah’s blunt retirement announcement

Wests Tigers champion Robbie Farah will retire as the club’s most-capped player, ending his rollercoaster NRL career at the end of the season.
He took a ‘few nips of whisky’ to calm his nerves before fronting the media on Tuesday morning, where he acknowledged his nasty exit from the club in 2016, the Rabbitohs for offering him a chance to revive his career, and Ivan Cleary for bringing him home in 2018.

It was a typically blunt press conference from the 35-year-old, who also touched on his ‘running battle’ with the media over the course of his 17-year NRL career.

“A lot of you guys I like, some of you I don’t. For various reasons, but the one thing about me is if I don’t like you, you’ll know about it,” he said.

“I guess that’s the person I am and I hope you can respect me for that. If there’s something I’ve got to say you’ll hear it from me and not anyone else. Sometimes my passion spills over and I wear my heart on my sleeve. Thank you for all you’ve done for me over my career all you good ones. All you bad ones, I’m not sorry.”

Farah finished his career with the Rabbitohs playing reserve grade, and has revealed how close he came to calling it quits.

“I called [his manager Sam Ayoub] after a game one day and told him I was done. He and a lot of family and friends talked me out of it. Thankfully they did.”

Although it would have been ideal to finish his NRL career at the same time as club legend Benji Marshall, Farah said he needed to make the decision to retire on his own regardless of what his mate is doing next season.

The anxiety and stress of preparing his body each week has become too much, and he said the opportunity to retire on his own terms at the club he loves is a dream come true.

“I actually haven’t missed a game in about three years, but getting on the field every week takes a lot of effort and a lot of work,” he said.

“There’s days I’ll see Pete Moussa (physio) in the morning and then have to go see my chiro and then my brother (physiotherapist Eddie Farah) will bring the physio table to my dad’s house at night to treat me.

“I’m working around the clock and that just becomes draining and the anxiety and stress that comes with that becomes draining.

“I think it’s more the opportunity to go out on my terms. That hasn’t always been the case in my career, and I feel like I’m playing good footy. I wouldn’t want to go a year too long and my body to break down. I’m not in good enough form, we have a couple of young hookers at the club and they go past me, I just wouldn’t want that. I feel like now the time’s right, the club’s in good hands.

“I’m just ready.”
3 years not missing a game at hooker, not a bad effort.

Wonder if this applies to coaches or just journos. Mick Potter may not agree