What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui to Fullback

gordsy

Juniors
I can't believe people want to support a maggot who assaulted, robbed and choked his pregnant girlfriend, and not just a one off after a mad monday even though a one off is still inexcusable, he has been charged for assaulting her on more than one occasion.

The club brought him down when he was 15 boo hoo, he is responsible for his own actions and anyone that shows this grub sympathy is in my opinion at some level saying domestic violence may not have been his fault because of this or that, which is simply disgusting to me. Only a person of poor character hits a woman, let along a pregnant woman, let alone on more than one occasion. I hope he goes to jail and I hope his pregnant girlfriend escapes this cycle of abuse and finds someone who knows how to treat a lady. To show this grub support disgusts me, but I suppose that is part of the reason why he thought it was okay to smack her around, because there are people out there who want to reduce his responsibility for his own actions. Imagine this was your mother or sister he smacked around and then come out and support him. Unbelievable.

+1

N.C.

Juniors
Madunit - fair enough. Can't see anyone trying to justify his actions though.

Westie - well said.

DanOz - where are you getting your information from, mate? You seem to know an awful lot about what happened on Sunday night...

R2Coupe

Juniors
I can't believe people want to support a maggot who assaulted, robbed and choked his pregnant girlfriend, and not just a one off after a mad monday even though a one off is still inexcusable, he has been charged for assaulting her on more than one occasion.

The club brought him down when he was 15 boo hoo, he is responsible for his own actions and anyone that shows this grub sympathy is in my opinion at some level saying domestic violence may not have been his fault because of this or that, which is simply disgusting to me. Only a person of poor character hits a woman, let along a pregnant woman, let alone on more than one occasion. I hope he goes to jail and I hope his pregnant girlfriend escapes this cycle of abuse and finds someone who knows how to treat a lady. To show this grub support disgusts me, but I suppose that is part of the reason why he thought it was okay to smack her around, because there are people out there who want to reduce his responsibility for his own actions. Imagine this was your mother or sister he smacked around and then come out and support him. Unbelievable.

If you are referring to me, demonstrating compassion is far from supporting his actions.

I don't believe I have ever stated I support his actions. However, there is a need for compassion to be shown to both Robert and his girlfriend.

I find the whole situation to be very sad for both parties.

westie

Bench

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11414736

What he is alleged to have done is wrong, but the day has come when football clubs and the RL need to stand by players until they are picked up by other support systems.

shorepatrol

Juniors
What if she is a Dragons supporter?

Just relax. You don't the know the whole story. Would you say the same thing if Rhino or Fulton or Benji or any of your favourite players did that? Probably not.

could be the best player at the club by a country mile but if he is found guilty he goes and thats it.what if it was your daughter,mother sister this happened to.also wests said they have stood him down. from what?:crazy:

holman

Juniors
They have stood him down from all Wests Tigers functions, presentation night, end of season trip also I presume.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
For all those who want Lui sacked from the club.

What do yo think of Wayne Carey, Greg Bird, Bret Stewart, Matthew Johns, Daine Tilse, Ben Cousisn and all these other sportsmen who have commited far worse crimes? Why have they been given a 2nd chance?

Rugby League is a tough sport. You can't expect these guys to be brutal on the weekends with their club side and then switch off. If Lui was that bad, his girlie friend would have left him earlier and/or he would have been locked up.

As I said, all those wanting him gone were those who said he can't play, can't tackle and have eaten humble pie over the last few weeks.

westie

Bench
Why does Matt Johns still cop such a bad wrap? He cheated on his missus... that's got nothing to do with us.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
He instigated a gang rape didn't he? He was the ring leader wasn't he? If he wasn't a sportsman or an anglo saxon, he'd get time behind bars, a very long time.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

What do yo think of Wayne Carey, Greg Bird, Bret Stewart, Matthew Johns, Daine Tilse, Ben Cousisn and all these other sportsmen who have commited far worse crimes? Why have they been given a 2nd chance?

Rugby League is a tough sport. You can't expect these guys to be brutal on the weekends with their club side and then switch off. If Lui was that bad, his girlie friend would have left him earlier and/or he would have been locked up.

As I said, all those wanting him gone were those who said he can't play, can't tackle and have eaten humble pie over the last few weeks.
Wayne Carey didn't break any laws until after he retired.
Greg Bird wasn't found guilty of any wrong doing
Brett Stewart hasn't been found guilty of any wrong doing
Matthew Johns also didn't break the law
Dane Tilse was sacked by his club on the spot
Ben Cousins is an AFL idiot who only survived because the AFL has the stupid 3 strikes policy against substance abuse/useage. He's still a moron, but at the end of the day, he was only hurting himself.

Some women, especially pregnant ones, stay with the father of their child, despite all of the punishment they cop, because they think it will be all ok once the baby is born, and that having the dad around will be best for the child. Don't scoff, my missus deals with hundreds of women in a same situation every year in her job.

Also, if she is not working and she decided to leave Lui, how is she going to get home?

The victim here is the woman who has been harmed, and by reports, it's been going on over a period of time now.

This has nothing to do with Lui's performances onfield.

He has definitely improved his play over the past month, but beating a pregnant woman in any way is a gutless cowardly dog act and he doesn't deserve the compassion of anyone, especially this club.

He should be sacked. If found guilty, part of his sentence will be rehabilitation anyway, so it's not like he'll be thrown to the wolves and forgotten.

skeepe

Immortal

You're pretty loose with your definition of committing a crime, especially since many listed were never charged and others have been found not guilty.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Is that you O.J ??

Oh f**k me, just because these sportsman get off doesn't mean they are innocent.

Inglis beat his girl...Wes Naiqama beat Paulini....alot of sportsman get away with "murder" so to speak....wake up sunshine. They're not all Saints ( pardon the pun)

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Wayne Carey didn't break any laws until after he retired.
Greg Bird wasn't found guilty of any wrong doing
Brett Stewart hasn't been found guilty of any wrong doing
Matthew Johns also didn't break the law
Dane Tilse was sacked by his club on the spot
Ben Cousins is an AFL idiot who only survived because the AFL has the stupid 3 strikes policy against substance abuse/useage. He's still a moron, but at the end of the day, he was only hurting himself.

Some women, especially pregnant ones, stay with the father of their child, despite all of the punishment they cop, because they think it will be all ok once the baby is born, and that having the dad around will be best for the child. Don't scoff, my missus deals with hundreds of women in a same situation every year in her job.

Also, if she is not working and she decided to leave Lui, how is she going to get home?

The victim here is the woman who has been harmed, and by reports, it's been going on over a period of time now.

This has nothing to do with Lui's performances onfield.

He has definitely improved his play over the past month, but beating a pregnant woman in any way is a gutless cowardly dog act and he doesn't deserve the compassion of anyone, especially this club.

He should be sacked. If found guilty, part of his sentence will be rehabilitation anyway, so it's not like he'll be thrown to the wolves and forgotten.

Forget what the courts have said, what is your honest opinion on these guys mentioned? Are they innocent ?

It's funny how you say that the courts have found all these guys innocent and when it comes to Lui......"hang the bloke".......without a hearing. Hypocrite??

Brett Stewart is gonna get off for obvious reasons the same happened to Matty Johns and the likes. These are just the cases that have been reported. Imagine the ones that haven't been reported.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forget what the courts have said?

They are what defines guilty from innocent. How can you ignore that information?

Try as I might, all of the above were hit with one charge (3 at the most). Lui has 9 charges.

All were first offenders (except Cousins, but the AFL's policy allows you to be a two time repeat offender before they sack you for taking drugs)

According to news reports, this allegedly, isn't the first time Lui has lashed out at his girlfriend.

None of the above hit a pregnant woman.

None of the above tried to choke anyone, let alone a pregnant woman.

Surely, with this in mind you can see just how much more severe this case is. I'm certain he won't go to prison. I'm almost certain though that this will cost him his place in the Tigers side, and I doubt he'll get a run in another NRL side's starting 17.

As far as being a hypocrite, 9 serious charges, yes 9, allegedly for incidents over a period of time, not all at once. It's painting a picture that Lui does in fact have a problem.

No such history had followed the others. So by that, it was out of character (and all were found not guilty anyway).

It can't be out of character though if you commit similar crimes more than once in a short period of time. That's called consistency in crime circles.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a different and far more serious case.

Personal opinion of the player on the field has absolutely nothing to do with it in my case.

N.C.

Juniors

Very shaky ground there, Reek...

As for most of those others, they've either gotten away with it or they've had a period in the woods and then come good with another team.

Lui may be a total arsehole, and he may need a bit of time to figure out what kind of person he wants to be. But I doubt he'll reach too many positive conclusions if the world totally shuts down on him... On the other hand, he wont learn anything if he doesn't get hung out for as long as it takes - just as long as he's got an exit strategy, so to speak.

At this point, I reckon the club is taking the right approach. I notice there hasn't been a whole lot of media for the Tigers since the story broke - despite their relative success on the field this year and their usual media frenzy. Seems to me they are being very senstive to the issue at hand.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Forget what the courts have said?

They are what defines guilty from innocent. How can you ignore that information?

Try as I might, all of the above were hit with one charge (3 at the most). Lui has 9 charges.

All were first offenders (except Cousins, but the AFL's policy allows you to be a two time repeat offender before they sack you for taking drugs)

According to news reports, this allegedly, isn't the first time Lui has lashed out at his girlfriend.

None of the above hit a pregnant woman.

None of the above tried to choke anyone, let alone a pregnant woman.

Surely, with this in mind you can see just how much more severe this case is. I'm certain he won't go to prison. I'm almost certain though that this will cost him his place in the Tigers side, and I doubt he'll get a run in another NRL side's starting 17.

As far as being a hypocrite, 9 serious charges, yes 9, allegedly for incidents over a period of time, not all at once. It's painting a picture that Lui does in fact have a problem.

No such history had followed the others. So by that, it was out of character (and all were found not guilty anyway).

It can't be out of character though if you commit similar crimes more than once in a short period of time. That's called consistency in crime circles.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a different and far more serious case.

Personal opinion of the player on the field has absolutely nothing to do with it in my case.

I should charge you for bad posting and avoiding my questions. 10 charges for you MU

Once again, do you think that these other guys are innocent? Simple question. Simple question for a simple maarn.

*Delves into my psychic realm and crystal ball*
MU's response......."ah...the courts have found them not guilty"

Give me an contrasted answer. Yes or No.

jasonl

Juniors
Greg Bird attacked his girlfriend with a broken glass and nearly took her eye out. He was charged with Grievous Bodily Harm which is a far more serious charge than Lui's and yet was running around playing finals football with the Titans last week.

Untill we know more it is premature to make sweeping judgements as to the man's future.

It is a police matter and will go before the courts.

If found guilty, so be it.

Until such a time, under Australian law he has the right to presumption of innocence.

Personally, I think the clubs should take a greater duty of care in relation to Mad Mondays. Young, not too bright, fit kids who have been off the sauce for months and are dealing with the emotional upheaval of finals footaball suddenly are let of the leash to get an utter skinfull and run amok.

And sh*t like this happens.

My guess is that the girlfriend will testify in his defence Greg Bird style and a susspended sentence will be handed down.

Given that this will all take place in the off season and out of the media spotlight is also significant.

Sheens' input has to be considered also and given Lui is one of his favorites, fully expect him to run out in 7 next season.

macnaz

Staff member
One thing Lui has done is provide us something to talk about in the off season at least.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I should charge you for bad posting and avoiding my questions. 10 charges for you MU

Once again, do you think that these other guys are innocent? Simple question. Simple question for a simple maarn.

*Delves into my psychic realm and crystal ball*
MU's response......."ah...the courts have found them not guilty"

Give me an contrasted answer. Yes or No.
It's hard to comment on a past case which has deemed someone innocent, as to whether I think he's innocent.

The fact they were charged with such crimes, whether guilty or not, caused me to lose all respect for them. And even though they've been found not guilty, that respect hasn't magically reappeared.

We can only go on the information we have. There are more charges against Lui than there were against all the others you listed. That alone makes it a more convincing case against him imo.