What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui wants first shot at halfback

DanOz

Juniors
Thanks scarcev.....A mate of mine went to the Foundation Cup game last night...told me Lui looks unfit .........what a surprise !

I hope Lui proves me wrong and good luck to him but I just don't think he has anywhere near the fitness level or skill required to play NRL at this stage ....but then he is only 18 or 19 or something.

Lui was appalling - he has no kicking game, his defense needs alot of work, when he takes on the line he is predictable and about as threatening as one of Fitzhenry's 2m runs, frankly John Morris offered more in attack. It will be a long year if Sheens tries to persist with him because he can't accept being wrong...

RoMo

Juniors
Lui was not appalling at all.
He wasn't that good and that is an insult to appalling players everywhere
Morris looks like Sterlo beside this gimp

RoMo

Juniors
Supercoach will persist with him until we beat melbourne 48-4 when melbourne have 37 origin players out and then justify it

Vicious

Bench
Supercoach will persist with him until we beat melbourne 48-4 when melbourne have 37 origin players out and then justify it

Give yourself a triple uppercut. Lui is a class act, but it will take a bit of time until he gets confident enough to play his natural game. At the end of the day, we are vert capable of winning the `2010 Premiership with either Lui or Moltzen at halfback, remember where you heard this first !!!

People are going into cardiac arrest over a trial. Fair dinkum you`d get more common sense watching Play School !!!

DanOz

Juniors
Give yourself a triple uppercut. Lui is a class act, but it will take a bit of time until he gets confident enough to play his natural game. At the end of the day, we are vert capable of winning the `2010 Premiership with either Lui or Moltzen at halfback, remember where you heard this first !!!

People are going into cardiac arrest over a trial. Fair dinkum you`d get more common sense watching Play School !!!

On the flip side you could say that you are pulling yourself over someones potential from Toyota Cup...

I agree with RoMo and think the uppercut is headed your way. :D

Vicious

Bench
On the flip side you could say that you are pulling yourself over someones potential from Toyota Cup...

I agree with RoMo and think the uppercut is headed your way. :D

Many top class footballers had a slow start to their first grade careers. Did you watch Scott Prince in his first 5-6 first grade games for the Cowboys by any chance ???
I can tell you I watched him with interest after reading he was an up and coming superstar and I can also tell you he done very little in his first half a dozen games, including one shocker against the Tigers in a night game at Leichhardt.
He wasn`t the only one, plenty of others have followed the same path, not too many burst onto the first grade scene and are superstars from the very start.
Give the kid atleast 10 games before making a critical judgement.

DanOz

Juniors
Many top class footballers had a slow start to their first grade careers. Did you watch Scott Prince in his first 5-6 first grade games for the Cowboys by any chance ???
I can tell you I watched him with interest after reading he was an up and coming superstar and I can also tell you he done very little in his first half a dozen games, including one shocker against the Tigers in a night game at Leichhardt.
He wasn`t the only one, plenty of others have followed the same path, not too many burst onto the first grade scene and are superstars from the very start.
Give the kid atleast 10 games before making a critical judgement.

Here is the problem though - Lui gets 10 games and I turn out to be right - the season is over. If you are right, good and well, but 5 consecutive years of failure will be hard to stomach, and that's the direction we are headed with Lui imo. You will get a chance to find out though as Sheens will never admit a mistake and Lui will get the chance at halfback that Moltzen never did.

westie

Bench
Is Lui better than Taumata? No he's not. Thus. Taumata should be our halfback. The same question and answer should be applied to Moltzen imo.

Vicious

Bench
Is Lui better than Taumata? No he's not. Thus. Taumata should be our halfback. The same question and answer should be applied to Moltzen imo.

AJ Taumata would be lucky to organise a chook raffle let alone run a side from halfback. He is a brilliant ball runner though, possibly a better ball runner than Benji. I`d definately try and get him in the side somewhere, but Taumata at 7 and Benji at 6 wouldn`t work.

DanOz

Juniors
AJ Taumata would be lucky to organise a chook raffle let alone run a side from halfback. He is a brilliant ball runner though, possibly a better ball runner than Benji. I`d definately try and get him in the side somewhere, but Taumata at 7 and Benji at 6 wouldn`t work.

So put Taumata at fullback - he can't be worse than Moltzen. Either that or run him off the interchange and inject him in the last 20 mins of each half when the forwards are tiring. Moltzen to 7 and Lui out of the team would put a smile on my dial.

Bench
So put Taumata at fullback - he can't be worse than Moltzen. Either that or run him off the interchange and inject him in the last 20 mins of each half when the forwards are tiring. Moltzen to 7 and Lui out of the team would put a smile on my dial.
Yep,Lui and Fitzy outa there,Timmy to 7 and AJ at 1,might just work.

westie

Bench

Possibly better than Benji? The dudes' recent try-scoring strike rate is out of this world compared with Benji.

I know he can't organise. But neither can anyone else in our team. So, you pick the player who is far and away better than the other options.

N.C.

Juniors
Leaner, keener Lui carves up Sharks to secure halfback spot
GREG PRICHARD
February 28, 2010
Wests Tigers 36 Sharks 12

ROOKIE halfback Robert Lui confirmed his starting place in the Wests Tigers side for the opening round of the premiership with a stand-out performance in last night's emphatic trial win against Cronulla at Gosford.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens said after the game he would be going with Tim Moltzen at fullback, Lui at halfback, and, of course, Benji Marshall at five-eighth for the game against Manly at the Sydney Football Stadium on Monday, March 15.

Marshall missed last night's game to get over an ankle injury, while Lui played five-eighth, Moltzen halfback and Mitch Brown fullback.

The Tigers are still waiting to see how early Lote Tuqiri will be able to leave English rugby to join them, but when he does get here Sheens said he would probably start on the wing to get used to the NRL again, before being considered as fullback. Tigers hooker Robbie Farah was the only player who outshone Lui last night, and their understanding was a joy for Tigers supporters to see.

Lui, who played four first-grade games late last season and only turned 20 on Tuesday, was limping with a foot injury after the game, but said he would be fit for round one. It was clear he had lost weight since last season, and was sharper as a result.

''I'm fitter and really keen,'' Lui said. ''Folkesy [the Tigers' high-performance manager, Steve Folkes] has trained us hard and I really like what it's done for me. I wasn't certain about anything as far as the first round goes before I came here tonight, so I'm really happy to have played well.''

The game was over as a contest by half-time, when the Tigers led 18-0. Farah took control of the ruck early in the game and he and Lui combined to carve up the Cronulla defence.

Farah said he been determined to get more involved in the game than he had been against the Roosters, and was happy with the result.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ks-to-secure-halfback-spot-20100227-pae3.html

gronkathon

First Grade
He has another good game against a f**king hopeless Sharks side just like last year and now all of a sudden he is super spade

westie

Bench
We'll beat Manly (who at $42 dollars I think could be great value for the spoon with an injury or two, maybe even an incarceration) and some other sh*t teams early, and he'll get some wraps. It'll be a bit like the end of last season. Then we'll hit the middle of the season, play some good teams, get done over, Sheens and some niff nuffs will cite beating wooden spooners as a reason to keep him there and we'll end up too far behind the 8 ball. Again.