What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui wants first shot at halfback

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Im more worried about Moltzen at fullback that Lui at halfback. I watched a replay of our 2nd round game against Parra on saturday morning & my god he was awful. His positioning was abysmal. Hayne never should have scored that final try.

N.C.

Juniors
Im more worried about Moltzen at fullback that Lui at halfback. I watched a replay of our 2nd round game against Parra on saturday morning & my god he was awful. His positioning was abysmal. Hayne never should have scored that final try.

Agreed. Moltzen needs to have grown some balls over the off-season if he's to make a decent go of fullback this year.

macnaz

Staff member
I tend to agree , but i have seen him make some try savers as well. my main concern apart from positioning is his kick returns, generally he offers very little in attack and most sides wouldnt be scared to kick to him. If he is left there he well definatly improve because he seems to have football brains and a willingness to learn , but for the time being he is a fairly safe option i suppose.

Last edited:

macnaz

Staff member
what about lazzo at fullback
has he recovered yet?

what is his background ? Ive never seen him play but a lot here rate him very highly.... Is he better than Gallant, hodgo... Is he big small fast?

Front-Rower

First Grade
I tend to agree , but i have seen him make some try savers as well. my main concern apart from positioning is his kick returns, generally he offers very little in attack and most sides wouldnt be scared to kick to him. If he is left there he well definatly improve because he seems to have football brains and a willingness to learn , but for the time being he is a fairly safe option i suppose.

He had majority of last season to improve and hasn't. The trial against the roosters he was out of position on every kick, was afraid to take the ball up on the kick return and didn't really instruct the defence on where to send the troops in the line because he was too close to the defensive line.

The kid is a fine footballer no doubt and has a big future as a 7 not a 1.

macnaz

Staff member
He had majority of last season to improve and hasn't. The trial against the roosters he was out of position on every kick, was afraid to take the ball up on the kick return and didn't really instruct the defence on where to send the troops in the line because he was too close to the defensive line.

The kid is a fine footballer no doubt and has a big future as a 7 not a 1.
But Tim said he will make a great fullback lol. My concern tho is who else? Can we use.

Last edited:

richies

Juniors
lazzo was a half/5/8 turned into a fullback
has potential but was out last year due to injury

Front-Rower

First Grade
But Tim said he will make a great fullback lol. My concern tho is who else? Can we use.

Shannon Gallant, unfortunately for us he is gone, was the obvious choice. Now we really don't have any one who is a genuine fullback outside of probably Jake Mullaney. But in saying that he isn't ready for first grade.

I wish this "coach" of ours would stop trying to coach players in to positions rather coach them in the positions they are strong at.

As much as I admire Sheens for what he did to our club and drag it out of the dark ages of Wayne Pearce and Terry Lamb, it's time for change. A different direction. Personally I would retain Sheen's as a junior development officer/scout but that's it. His persistant perserverance with players who just under perform week after week but retain their spots because apparently there was/is no one else has to stop.

On the other hand I think we have to look at the fact are the players under performing because they haven't got the skill to play first grade OR they under perform because they are playing out of position? I think the latter is more of a feasable reason.

macnaz

Staff member
Mitch Brown or Daniel Fitzhenry.

Flip a coin...

Fitzhenry...NO NEVER EVER ! And Brown i dont know enuf about him to make a decision... I do know we did have a fantastic fullback who they offered free socks and shorts for a year then told the world we dont have a fullback ..... Then wondered why he told em to go f*ck themselves.

Vicious

Bench
I still think all of you that are bagging Lui are barking up the wrong tree. The kid has very good slight of hand and a very good ability to hold the ball up enabling the ball runners to hit a hole. On top of that he`s not afraid to take on the defence which puts them in two minds. He`s suspect in defence, but this will improve with age and experience much the same as it has with Chris Lawrence and his kicking game is a bit hot and cold at the moment, but does have the ability to create plenty of chances.
I`m not sure what more you can expect from a 19y.o very new to the first grade scene and i`m not sure what more he could have done to impress anyone in the Toyota Cup, he was far and away the best attacking halve in that competition last season.

I do agree that Moltzen`s best spot is also in the halves and I also agree that we have some other very good options in Blake Lazarus providing he regains full confidence after two full seasons out with injury and also AJ Taumata. Taumata is a brilliant ball runner, but is far less structured in his play than any of the others mentioned above, in my opinion Taumata is the one we should be transforming into a full back as he plays without much fear and has plenty of pace. I`ve got no idea how he goes under the high ball, but taking a high ball is a basic fundamental for a first grade back, therefore i`d expect he should be able too especially if he knows it might create him a permanent first grade spot. I also belive Rhys Pritchard would make a very good ball running fullback, I think we have an abundance of options this season and i`m surpremely confident we`ll win the comp !!!

Vicious

Bench
Beau Ryan would be the best fullback option we have for round one if I was selecting the team.

That wouldn`t be a bad option either as Beau plays with 100% committment.
I can understand why Sheens likes Moltzen at fullback as he`s as safe as a bank under the high ball, defends well as the last line of defence and he also has the pace and anticipation to turn half chances into tries. On the flipside he doesn`t look at all comfortable on the kick returns, but I know one thing, there`s quite a few worse fullbacks than him who will be wearing the number 1 for rival clubs this season. I`ve never been so confident of the Wests Tigers having a big season, I reckon we can play people out of position and still be good enough to beat most sides, I guess we`ll soon know !

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
Just before Hogo departed for greener pastures abroad he was asked who should take over his no1 spot and said something along the lines that he would give Ryan first crack. Anyway not going to happen Sheens wants Moltzen and as posted previously not the worst no1 in the nrl but I would have loved to see a few others given a crack just so we could have made the right choice

westie

Bench
Moltzen is mis-leading. When I first watched him, I thought he was brill under the high ball. The I realised that as soon as anyone contests the catch with him - he's a super chance of either not even trying or cocking it up. The same goes for any sort of kick or contact situation.

He's not fit to be mentioned with Gallant.

simon says

First Grade
Moltzen is mis-leading. When I first watched him, I thought he was brill under the high ball. The I realised that as soon as anyone contests the catch with him - he's a super chance of either not even trying or cocking it up. The same goes for any sort of kick or contact situation.

He's not fit to be mentioned with Gallant.

Bwahahahahahaaaa!!!!

Except for Moltz' size,kicking game,defense and passing game,Gallant has it all over him..........carn the maggies?????

macnaz

Staff member
Bwahahahahahaaaa!!!!

,Gallant has it all over him..........carn the maggies?????
Yep ..in speed , in sidestep, in reading play, in contesting the ball, in kick returns, in support and in general he has more balls to be fullback.