What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robert Lui wants first shot at halfback

Front-Rower

First Grade
Bwahahahahahaaaa!!!!

Except for Moltz' size,kicking game,defense and passing game,Gallant has it all over him..........carn the maggies?????

Can you give examples of Moltzen's defence at fullback? Usually he just throws out the arm and watches them go past.

simon says

First Grade
Same as Shannon.

Sorry Magpie people.

Just pretend Moltz played for the birdies,and he will be magically transformed into the greatest player ever,and if said player doesnt get picked its an anti nest maker policy by Balmain Sheens you clowns.

Tweet tweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

simon says

First Grade
Yep ..in speed , in sidestep, in reading play, in contesting the ball, in kick returns, in support and in general he has more balls to be fullback.

I will admit Gallants balls were bigger for sure,Molts can watch it a bit.

But Molts has more tricks up his sleeve,is bigger and when he gets his hands on them can use his size to advantage.....Im thinking specifically of a trysaver against the roosters,and a shocker by Gallant on Watmough.....just not big enough to pull him down.

westie

Bench
Hang on. Why does our fullback need to be a ball-player if our halfback is competent - taking into account we'll play Farah, Benji and Fulton?

There are players who were blacklisted, this year even, from playing in the front line because they weren't ballsy enough or didn't have good enough reads in defence - yet we'll have the softest defender I've ever seen at Wests play in the most crucial position?

The bloke put Tuiaki out for 18 months because he didn't want to take a kick return FFS.

I'll take Gallant, playing fullback, any day over this bloke. I'll take anyone else I dislike - e.g Heighington instead. He's that bad.

simon says

First Grade
The bloke put Tuiaki out for 18 months because he didn't want to take a kick return FFS.

Riiiiiiiiiiight.Its not part of our game plan for the FB to give it to the winger and let the FB take the second hit up.

This proves what a student of the game you are ........not.

Cheers.

Vicious

Bench
I`m a very one eyed Magpie fan and still believe it was a terrible decision not to re-sign Shannon Gallant, but i`m also a fan of Tim Moltzen and think he will serve us well in whatever position he plays.

simon says

First Grade
Vicious......the bloke asked to leave cos he thought he was gonna have a better gig at the Cowboys.

Its no ones fault.......

macnaz

Staff member
Ive been tigers fan my whole life and actually hated wests until we merged so that one eyed magpie is BS and has FA to do with knowing Gallant was a better fullback. And as far as the whatmough tackles... Funny that the 100kg plus players in the pack he ran thru all that night didnt get a mention ?

Last edited:

westie

Bench
Riiiiiiiiiiight.Its not part of our game plan for the FB to give it to the winger and let the FB take the second hit up.

This proves what a student of the game you are ........not.

Cheers.

Watch it again. You'll see he dogs it at the last second which was why Tuiaki was bent over.

Vicious

Bench
Vicious......the bloke asked to leave cos he thought he was gonna have a better gig at the Cowboys.

Its no ones fault.......

That`s the feelgood story. I`ll admit this is only heresay, but my info is that he was offered a very minimal contract and when he questioned it was told it was because he`s only a fringe first grader. Now he may be a fringe first grader and the rumours are that he`s not gonna start the year in first grade for the Cowboys, but I thaught he done enough last season to warrant being our stand out first choice fullback.
As I`ve stated i`m a big fan of Tim Moltzen also, but in all honesty he hasn`t looked all that happy playing fullback, when moved to the halves his game went to another level. I think Moltzen is good enough to make the adjustments and turn himself into a very good fullback and I also think Robert Lui is potentially a top class first grade halve, so I can understand what Sheens is thinking in this situation, but personally I would`ve kept Shannon Gallant as our fullback and kept Moltzen at halfback.

Whatever the case, i`m more than happy with our current squad, I think we have plenty of depth and will be disappointed if we don`t make the top 4 !

simon says

First Grade
That`s the feelgood story. I`ll admit this is only heresay, but my info is that he was offered a very minimal contract and when he questioned it was told it was because he`s only a fringe first grader. Now he may be a fringe first grader and the rumours are that he`s not gonna start the year in first grade for the Cowboys, but I thaught he done enough last season to warrant being our stand out first choice fullback.
As I`ve stated i`m a big fan of Tim Moltzen also, but in all honesty he hasn`t looked all that happy playing fullback, when moved to the halves his game went to another level. I think Moltzen is good enough to make the adjustments and turn himself into a very good fullback and I also think Robert Lui is potentially a top class first grade halve, so I can understand what Sheens is thinking in this situation, but personally I would`ve kept Shannon Gallant as our fullback and kept Moltzen at halfback.

Whatever the case, i`m more than happy with our current squad, I think we have plenty of depth and will be disappointed if we don`t make the top 4 !

Hard pressed to disagree with any of that.

I will add that Sheens has really gone for a team with more size and I think Shannon has been shed as a result.

TBH,im looking forward to a beefier side too.

blackandwhite

Juniors

Sheens didn't want Gallant I think everyone knows that...I hope he stars for the cowboys..I hope he is the buy of the year !
You just have to admire a guy that small with that much guts.

As far as top 4 ..I can't see us finishing ahead of Parra Dogs Storm or Dragons...then throw in Manly Souths and Gold Coast it will be a big ask.....But.. But.. don't worry its all OK we have Robert Lui and they don't !