What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Robson’s chance of a lifetime

The Colonel

Immortal
Robson’s chance of a lifetime

http://parramatta-advertiser.whereilive.com.au/sport/list/category/rugby-league/
11 Sep 09 @ 07:00am by Steven Deare
cb4efdac6b75780f51dcec0c4947ba1a_resized.jpg

Eels half Jeff Robson at Parramatta Stadium. PICTURE: GREGG PORTEOUS

``JEFF Robson is the best thing that’s happened to me,’’ Daniel Mortimer says of his partnership with the more experienced Eels half.
Few of Robson’s teammates in recent years would be able to express similar sentiments.
By his own admission, the former Sea Eagle struggled to find a permanent place in first grade for much of his career.
``I had a few injuries early on in my career and was stuck behind some good players,’’ he said.
``But I hung in and waited for the opportunity, so it’s been great.’’
Robson was playing NSW Cup for Wentworthville this year when injuries gave him a chance with the Eels.
While many fans were less than impressed with his early showings in the blue-and-gold, he found form when partnered with rookie Mortimer.
The 27-year-old has noticed the synergies.
``I think we complement each other in style,’’ he said.
``I like to organise and give early ball, and he’s got great vision and a great kicking game.
``We can only get better with more games.’’
As the senior partner, Robson is prepared to look out for his young sidekick, too.
``I just try to take the pressure off him by organising the play,’’ he said.
``He doesn’t have to worry and can go ahead and do his thing.’’
He said Daniel Anderson’s tutelage also helped improve his game.
``He’s critiqued parts of my game, which I’ve worked on, and made me a better player. Things like positioning for passing and kicking . . . where I should be.’’
Come his NRL finals debut, Robson has another chance to use those lessons to slice the Dragons’ stingy defence.
``A lot of the (defensive) line speed is quicker and shuts your time down,’’ he said.
``So you’ve got to take a couple of steps back and give yourself more time and room.

http://parramatta-advertiser.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/robsons-chance-of-a-lifetime/

Gronk

Staff member
He's turned out great. I hope he gets a gig with us next year. Otherwise he'd look good in a similar role at the Tigers next to Benji methinks.

I honestly don't care if Robbo never plays another good game, he is a top bloke outside of the game and a bloody tough bugger on the field.

I think he should be a certainty for next year, its ironic we have looked forever for a half who could perform only to find a reserve grade half with little fanfare who somehow is the right man for the job.

parra pete

Referee
He'll do me for a player. I like the 'blue collar' workers who aren't afraid of tough work. Robson defence has enabled Hindmarsh to be more creative with the ball...Bewdy..

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
``JEFF Robson is the best thing that’s happened to me,’’ Daniel Mortimer says of his partnership with the more experienced Eels half.

heart! that is such a great quote!!

natheel

Coach
robbo is an absolute humble champion, he knows hes not the flashiest half in the comp but he still plugs away and gets the job done u can see his organisational skills have improved alot more with each game and he runs the ball more the past few weeks so too morts.

i remember the last time a reserve half took out the premiership it was in 2006 with Shane Perry for Brisbane.

just hope he stays coz hes a good asset on and off the field

mickdo

Coach
Was watching the game again last night and in one set in the second half I noticed Robbo make 4 tackles in a row up the middle. And it wasn't that he was being run at the whole time either... he was seeking out the tackles. How many halfbacks in the comp do that, and on a scorching hot day? Awesome.

JessEel

Was watching the game again last night and in one set in the second half I noticed Robbo make 4 tackles in a row up the middle. And it wasn't that he was being run at the whole time either... he was seeking out the tackles. How many halfbacks in the comp do that, and on a scorching hot day? Awesome.
and still have the energy to make good attacking plays afterwards as well.

natheel

Coach
i think robbo deserves at least one MOM from channel 9 lol i mean i cant believe for a halfback he didnt even get 1 dally m point this year....thats crazy even lowrie got 2 lol

junior009

Juniors
After his first game this year my mate texted me saying "The new half is gash"

Oh how wrong he turned out to be.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I really hope the rumours of re-signing are true, I can see him take over Kinga's role off the bench.

i also think he would suit anywhere around the wing or centre.. for injuries and those cases, but yeah he is a quality player that can only get better!

JessEel

27 years old - may as well keep him on the books for a few more years!