What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roebuck - Arrogant Ponting must be fired

mickdo

Coach
What we are seeing on these boards for the last few days (and for some time) is classic tall poppy syndrome. The Australian cricket team is one of the most successful sporting teams in recent history, having won the last 3 world cups in succession, 16 tests in succession twice, and dominating the sport for almost 2 decades.

In response, 'haters' find anything they can to denegrate the side, in particular focusing on team behaviour that is common to most sides around the world. 'Australia has to be held to a higher standard they say'. Well folks, this is for you...

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

Moffo

Referee
geez mick is that the best you can do? can't address the issues so go for the sweeping statement

well done

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
brooksy19 said:
Doesn't change the face he's correct though MOffo.

It's ignorant to suggest anybody who offers an opposing view is automatically jealous/suffering from tall poppy syndrome.

I didn't have a problem with the Aussies behaviour as such, it's no different to all the other nations. My problem comes when the Aussies (Ponting especially) talk to the media about the spirit of the game and set themselves up as some sort of morale pinacle for where everyone should be.

Azkatro

First Grade
The world according to India and its sympathisers.

Ungentlemanly behaviour (Australia):
- Standing your ground until the umpire raises his finger (Symonds, Clarke, Ponting)
- Taking a difficult catch and claiming it (Clarke, Ponting)
- Not quite getting to a difficult catch and not claiming it (Ponting)
- Celebrating in a huddle with your teammates upon claiming a dramatic victory
- Complaining that an opposition player racially abused one of your own

Gentlemanly behaviour (India):
- Standing your ground until the umpire raises his finger (Ganguly, Sharma)
- Ignoring a pre-agreed notion that batsmen will accept the word of fielders on difficult catches, and insulting the integrity of the opposition in the process (Ganguly)
- Celebrating taking a wicket by running almost to the fence and rolling around (Singh)
- Racially abusing an opposition player (Singh)
- Threatening to call off an entire tour, potentially costing the host country millions in lost revenue
- Insulting the success and integrity of the winning side by suggesting they're not playing in the spirit of the game and labelling them arrogant
- Insulting the umpires by suggesting they have conspired against your team

I could go on and on. Australia, pick up your act and start selecting options from the gentlemanly conduct list, as is being so imperiously demonstrated by this regal Indian team.

JJ

Immortal
:lol: and Roebuck's accused of bias

Clearly the rest of the world is wrong, and the Australian players are noble gentleman who take great care to act according to the true spirit of the game.

:lol: :lol: @ Michael Clarke "taking" a difficult catch

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Azkatro said:
The world according to India and its sympathisers.

Ungentlemanly behaviour (Australia):
- Standing your ground until the umpire raises his finger (Symonds, Clarke, Ponting)
- Taking a difficult catch and claiming it (Clarke, Ponting)
- Not quite getting to a difficult catch and not claiming it (Ponting)
- Celebrating in a huddle with your teammates upon claiming a dramatic victory
- Complaining that an opposition player racially abused one of your own

Gentlemanly behaviour (India):
- Standing your ground until the umpire raises his finger (Ganguly, Sharma)
- Ignoring a pre-agreed notion that batsmen will accept the word of fielders on difficult catches, and insulting the integrity of the opposition in the process (Ganguly)
- Celebrating taking a wicket by running almost to the fence and rolling around (Singh)
- Racially abusing an opposition player (Singh)
- Threatening to call off an entire tour, potentially costing the host country millions in lost revenue
- Insulting the success and integrity of the winning side by suggesting they're not playing in the spirit of the game and labelling them arrogant
- Insulting the umpires by suggesting they have conspired against your team

I could go on and on. Australia, pick up your act and start selecting options from the gentlemanly conduct list, as is being so imperiously demonstrated by this regal Indian team.

Please add in there: Appealing for a catch, when the bat is entirely behind the pad, because we are running out of time to win the match (Gilchrist et al).

HevyDevy

Coach
Ziggy the God said:
Please add in there: Appealing for a catch, when the bat is entirely behind the pad, because we are running out of time to win the match (Gilchrist et al).

Yeah, imagine a side appealing for something? I'm stunned.

Terrible, terrible Aussies

JW

Coach
63637.1.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/20/nroe20.xml

In a statement, the victim said Roebuck told him: "I'm going to cane you now. Then it will be over and I will forgive you and, if I don't cane you, I will feel differently about you."

Roebuck asked the boy to bend over and delivered three "forceful strokes" over his clothing.

Mr Fenny said: "Roebuck then pulled the boy towards him, in what appeared to be an act of affection. He then asked if he could look at the marks on the boy's buttocks, something which he in fact did."

Clearly a true benchmark for gentlemanly behaviour himself.

JJ

Immortal
HevyDevy said:
So JJ, do you agree with Roebuck's article?

Parts of it yeah - in general I think their behaviour has a lot to be desired, and I am puzzled as to why Ponting, senior players and CA aren't more concerned about how the team will be viewed long term - certainly Steve Waugh was very conscious of that. Like it or not, when you're this dominant there are extra responsibilities.

I don't really think Ponting is the right man to lead the team, or indeed the best captain. I've been critical of aspects of Hayden and Gilcrist's behaviour for a long time, and Michael Clarke's recent efforts speak for themselves.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
oh dear JJ

you were happy enough to defend Bharji when he ran around like a chook with no head and did his roll on the ground when he got Punter out

but how dare an Aussie celebrate

exactly

HevyDevy

Coach
JJ said:
Parts of it yeah - in general I think their behaviour has a lot to be desired, and I am puzzled as to why Ponting, senior players and CA aren't more concerned about how the team will be viewed long term - certainly Steve Waugh was very conscious of that. Like it or not, when you're this dominant there are extra responsibilities.

I don't really think Ponting is the right man to lead the team, or indeed the best captain. I've been critical of aspects of Hayden and Gilcrist's behaviour for a long time, and Michael Clarke's recent efforts speak for themselves.

Can you explain his comments on Hayden to me then? Seems like a desperate attempt to have a go at him to me ...

Ziggy the God

First Grade
HevyDevy said:
Yeah, imagine a side appealing for something? I'm stunned.

Terrible, terrible Aussies

Yeah, I will remind you when your team is dudded out of a win by cheating. After all, it is part of the game right?

JJ

Immortal
HevyDevy said:
Can you explain his comments on Hayden to me then? Seems like a desperate attempt to have a go at him to me ...

I can only assume Roebuck's referring to the obvious inconsistency between Hayden's behaviour in the field, and being such a fine upstanding Chritian. Not too sure what he's on about with the crossing...

There have been whole threads in here on the hypocrisy that Hayden and Gilchrist show - I don't get the selective application of honesty and indeed christianity - in my understanding mindlessly hurling abuse at an opponent is neither a very mature thing to do, nor a very christian thing to do (but then I find the whole sledging thing childish and boorish)

JJ

Immortal
Ziggy the God said:
Yeah, I will remind you when your team is dudded out of a win by cheating. After all, it is part of the game right?

Hevy - are you one of the Raiders fans endlessly going on about cheating by the opposition and officials?

HevyDevy

Coach
JJ said:
I can only assume Roebuck's referring to the obvious inconsistency between Hayden's behaviour in the field, and being such a fine upstanding Chritian. Not too sure what he's on about with the crossing...

There have been whole threads in here on the hypocrisy that Hayden and Gilchrist show - I don't get the selective application of honesty and indeed christianity - in my understanding mindlessly hurling abuse at an opponent is neither a very mature thing to do, nor a very christian thing to do (but then I find the whole sledging thing childish and boorish)

But that's my point, he goes out of his way with the crossing thing to have a go at Hayden and that straight away says to me that his article was written with an agenda to push.

Latest posts