What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rogers will he play Origin 2007?

Will Rogers play origin in 2007

• Yes at fullback for certain

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Yes on the wing for certain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe if his form is awesome

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • Yes, but only if there are injuires

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • No chance.

Votes: 63 54.8%

• Total voters

Ant

Juniors
Just wondering what you thought now he is officially back in the fold. Will he make league rep sides.

He was qld regular when he left, and although he is getting on, he is still a pretty good player.

I assume he will play fullback for the titans, he will face pretty stiff competition from the likes of Hunt, Inglis, Bowen, Wesser, Slater etc. But I would rate his rugby union form not far off any of those guys.

What about his old spot wing, well currently the 2 aussie wingers are both qlders, Tate and Inglis, but one or both of them could be played in other positions centre for tate, centre or fullback for Inglis. The other guys who played wing for qld this year were Mogg (gone), Wesser (who was poor) and Bell who is more of a centre.

For mine what is qld's best backline, without considering Rogers, well for mine taking into account left and right side preferences, maybe this if the guys are playing their best footy.
1. Hunt
2. Inglis
3. Hodges
4. Tonga
5. Tate

So for mine unless there are injuries or poor form for any of the above, which is very possible, I wouldn't have rogers. If a tate or inglis couldn't play wing, and rogers is playing well at this stage I would have him, because I think there are very few other options on the wing for qld, and the experiments of bowen, wesser, slater etc on the wing have not gone well.

What do you guys think?

Charlie124

First Grade
I think the only way he would make it into the QLD side is through a combination of absolutly brialliant form at club level AND injuries to key backs in the QLD ranks, i cant see it happen.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah i just cant see it happening. He is way too old to play wing, also too small I think. Would get hammered by NSWs outside backs. In addition as you have already mentioned, to much quality in the backline to fit him in. NO chance.

shaggy

Juniors
i think hes a chance, if he performs well enough & other players rnt performing hed be in prob at center,

Canard

Immortal
Id say much like Jason Smith and Canberra a couple of years ago, the Titans will lean pretty heavily on Matty to "retire" from rep footy.

Barring a plane crash or an outbreak of ebola in the QLD camp Id say he was 1000's anyways. All those names listed above would be ahead of him, then Id say they would switch hodges to fullback after those guys.

Parraboy

Juniors
Not a chance! Too many guys ahead of him now. His skill level won't be up to scratch with the likes of Inglis, Hunt and Hodges. At this stage even Tate is better and thats saying something.

steeden.

Juniors
He won't have a chance breaking into the backline imo - although if it is like 2006 come game 3 he may be required. The Qld backline come Origin will probably read: Hunt, Tate, Bell Hodges, Inglis, Lockyer, Thurston. That's a deadly combination even if they are all "in form"

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
cant see it happening myself

Queensland have a good backline atm and depth as well

Politically it wouldnt be a bad idea for show to all the other union defectors if they saw that if he does come back that he wont ostracised, on a fair level though.

Zero chance he should play origin.

I lean the other way SK82, if players are given the clear message that players who defect to Union won't be allowed to play rep footy in Rugby League ever again, they'll think harder about going in the first place.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Nothing to do with his conversion to Union... he simply won't play unless the billions ahead of him get injured.

aids

Bench
i voted no, becuase i think there are too many younger-long term backs looking for queensland jerseys.

i think the qld selectors would be wise taking a gamble on an untested player like mogg rather than a player who is a bit past it.