What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rookie of the year: Josh Dugan

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Why did he beat all those tackles and stuff ??

He was the most damaging Raider out there while the Knights targeted him. Did you really think it was a HOT TIP to try and smash him. He will come back better for it.

I love how you believe that the Knights were like some kind of tactical geniuses for targeting a player who had been destroying sides over the previous weeks and while he still made great metres against you, busted a few tackles, defended well and made at least one clean line break.... because he had to go off with an unlucky injury he has been worked out :lol:

One of your best.

gph

Juniors
Actually Skeepe, the knights ended his career on the weekend. The blue print is there, he will be battered into park football over the next few seasons, he isnt up to it physically. Sure he took the beating, but he went off didnt he.

Mullen did too. Is that the end of his career?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah the Raiders worked out Mullen I'm afraid. It will be park football for him in a few years time

Pete Cash

Post Whore
All jokes aside the big hits didn't really bother him. From memory he hurt his knee falling awkwardly in a tackle while the Raiders attacked the line.

The type of thing that happens every week.

Simple he was raised in Brisbane, attended St. Lawrence's College: the same high school as Cooper Cronk. With his family based around here, it's fair to see why he signed on with the Titans.

Raised in Brisbane, but was given a scholarship by the Raiders when no one else in QLD gave a squirt of piss about him. Trained him up, gave him his debut, nursed him through 2 knee reco's and then he pisses off halfway through the season. He could of played a part in the Raiders finals campaign in 08 as he had recouperated from the 2nd reco late last year, but he had allready pissed off back to mummy so he could build sand castles on the beach.

Maybe I'm harsh, but to me if you're an adult and you can't handle living in a different city from your family then you're mentally weak.

I was very happy to see the Canberra crowd giving him assholes every time he touched the ball. He's a slimy traitorous coward. They should move the Titans yellow stripes from the side of Zillman's jersey to his back.

He isn't gonna get the Rookie of the Year. He has only played 7 games so far and has now gotten injured, so I doubt it very much.

But man.......

He is a freak.

Actually Skeepe, the knights ended his career on the weekend. The blue print is there, he will be battered into park football over the next few seasons, he isnt up to it physically. Sure he took the beating, but he went off didnt he.

Oh dear. i'm calling for dumbest comment of the year.

macavity

Referee
Both tremendously talented, and my personal opinion is we've got 2 future rep staples in both. Croker's issues right now are his physicality, he makes good decisions in defense and makes good contact but he doesnt have the strength to complete the tackle, often bouncing away (as seen with the try McDougall set up on saturday night), give him an off season with a FG weights regime and he'll be much better

If i had to pick one or the other, dugan ever so slightly, i think he's got that touch more talent

to be fair there aren't many players that the old dog doesn't bounce off - he is in the form of his career and would have to be one of the hardest players in the NRL to tackle.

lifesgood

Juniors
I would put croker before dugan for rookie fo the year.

1. Idris
2. Locke
3. Mortimer
4. Croker
5. Mannah
6. Dugan
7. Ferguson

Liam

Juniors
Dugan will be an Australin, NSW and Country rep before he's 23, he will also have a fullback of the year Dally M and a Golden Boot.

Raider_69

Post Whore
anyone asking what he's done in first grade needs to watch his last 3 games. Dominated two top 4 sides and was the best raider by a long way on saturday. His talent is undeniable.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
i must have missed when Dugan did something worth noting in first grade.

In seven games he has carved up the Titans and the Storm, made great metres against the Knights and was by far the best Raider on the field, won us a game by himself against the Sharks, and played at worst solid every game he has played.

EDIT

I was just using Google news to see if there was a story on how bad his injury is because I am hearing conflicting reports and there was a bit about him on the foxsport the view page.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25779442-23214,00.html

One to watch: Canberra fullback Josh Dugan continues to turn heads with his assured performances. Fresh from a 17 run for 210 metres performance against the Titans, the 19-year-old was again the stand-out attacking force for the Raiders against the Knights. He made 25 runs for 276 metres, one line break and a team-leading six tackle busts.
Since his return to the team three weeks ago against the Storm, Dugan has made an amazing 64 runs for 759 metres. His season tally from just eight games is 158 runs for 1466 metres at an average of 184 metres per game. While slightly diminutive in stature, the youngster is still developing, and his 49 tackle busts are testament to his ability to brush off his older, more experienced opponents.

Yep nothing at all besides being brilliant.

Last edited:

jimmythehand

Juniors
Because the stats say he is. According to NRL stats, he averages 87 kick return metres per game. That's 20 metres more per game than Billy Slater, 30 more than Kurt Gidley and 40 more than Jarryd Hayne.

All that says to me is that teams kick the ball to him rather than the wingers or dead ball line. Possibly making him the worst kick returner out of your back 3.

Can't possibly see how that makes him the best kick returner in the league.

Maybe try a stat which shows the average number of metres per run. Even that is flawed, a fullback could pick up 10 grubbers in goal and get swamped each time which would ruin his average. And he could be the best kick returner in the league.

Interesting stat in that article about the tackle busts. What I watched he looked easy meat for the defence each and every time, obviously I need to watch him a bit more.

Last edited:

ianlovesparra

Juniors
Good player, but don't be getting ahead of yourselves canberra fans. He has alot of competition infront of him for ther nsw and australian fullback jerseys. Slater, Stewart, Hayne these 3 guys are still young and are way ahead of Dugan at the moment.

Lets just see him play a few good seasons of footy for the raiders first and if he is still playing well then start talking about rep teams.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Interesting stat in that article about the tackle busts. What I watched he looked easy meat for the defence each and every time, obviously I need to watch him a bit more.

He tends to always beat the first defender, he just isn't quite strong enough to turn them into full on linebreaks as of yet. He has broke the line on a few occasions though.

It isn't just his attack though. As I said earlier against Cronulla this year he basically won us the game on his own with his defence. He has superb positioning and great vision. He is just a smart player.

He needs to spend the off season packing on a bit of muscle for his first full year of senior football. Just put a bit of strength onto his frame and he is looking sharp.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Can i just say whilst i think if he won the award, he'd be a worthy winner, i dont think he's the guy yet.

This year has again led to some unbelievable talent debuting:

Jared Croker: Going great guns, played lots of games, had a few staring roles too, might be worth a show

Josh Dugan: If his injury doesnt keep him out too long, and he plays the season out in the same fashion he's started his career, he'll go close

Jamal Idris: Might not be eligable, but if he is, he'd have to be the favourite at this stage. Although i dont think he's nearly as skillful as the others, he's just a monster to try and tackle, knows how to use his size.

Scott Porter: Basically saved the Sharks season from being a complete embarrassment, he's become a little predictable lately but he's played some quality games, an older rookie and the years of lower grade footy show.

Daniel Mortimer: Classy player for Parra, imo, an outsider because he's playing in such a poor side, and Jarad Hayne usually rightfully steals the lime light but parra have got themselves a future star here.

Garth Ellis: To my knowledge not eligable, but cant leave him out, he's been great for the Tigers, they have a dire forward pack but he puts in every week. Very good player.

Kevin Locke: Sensational in an otherwise very ordinary warriors side, he's been brilliant, both offensively and defensively. Made some absolutely terrific plays. He's a future star.

Nathen Stapleton: Great hole runner, good pace, his positioning and defence could be improved, i think he's behind Dugan and Locke in this year's FB class but he's a damn good prospect none the less.

Antonio Winterstein: Very good finisher, he's dropped off abit in the back half of the season along with the Broncos but he's done enough in the first half to remain in contention.

Any of those would be worth winners imo... Asyford, Fergerson and Mannah (Sharks one) all worthy mentions too but not quite to the level of the above, IMO