What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters looking to kill rugby league in Australia

Anonymous

Juniors
Roosters challenge salary cap
By Barry Toohey
December 21, 2003

GRAND finalists Sydney Roosters have threatened to sue the National Rugby League over the salary cap, arguing that it breaches national competition laws.

In a letter sent to the NRL two weeks ago and obtained by The Sunday Telegraph, lawyers acting for the Roosters say the team will be forced to take legal action in the Federal Court if the NRL fails to increase the salary cap for 2005.

If successful, the legal action could end the $3.25 million salary cap, threatening the viability of struggling smaller clubs.

The cap limits how much clubs can pay their top 25 players.

It is championed by the NRL as a means of providing a better competition by ensuring less successful clubs are able to hire top-drawer players.

The letter, drafted by Sydney law firm Teakle Ormsby Conn, was prompted by a decision not to increase the cap in 2005. It was sent to NRL chief executive David Gallop on December 11.

"We have formed the view that the Sydney Roosters have a cause of action under Section 45 and Section 46 of the Trade Practices Act, together with a common law action for restraint of trade," the letter says.

"We are instructed that over the past few months, you have indicated to our chairman (Nick Politis) that there will be an increase in the salary cap for the 2005 playing season.

"Now, it appears there will be no increase in 2005, therefore the NRL leaves the Sydney Roosters with no choice than to commence legal action in the Federal Court of Australia in early 2004."

Sections 45 and 46 of the Trade Practices Act cover contracts that restrict competition and the misuse of market power.

Mr Gallop told The Sunday Telegraph yesterday the NRL would defend any action, calling the salary cap "the foundation stone of the game's success".

"We've just had the best season ever, and I'd be surprised if one of our clubs is seriously suggesting we do away with the cap," he said.

"We haven't made a final decision on an increase, but the indications from 14 of the 15 clubs at the annual conference a few weeks ago was that the game couldn't afford it."

Newcastle Knights chairman Michael Hill said he was stunned by the Roosters' threat.

"I'm amazed, because I don't think the issue of there being no increase has been fully resolved," Mr Hill said.

Sources said there was a real possibility the cap could be found to be illegal, forcing the NRL to abandon it.

The Sunday Telegraph

Anonymous

Juniors
So.... looks like everyone's most hated team is looking to step it up a notch. Can't wait til the poor teams die and its Roosters vs Bulldogs vs Brisbane vs Warriors for the NRL premiership.

izzo

Juniors
We got them Round 1 so I'll be paying out

1. Walker
2. Wing
3. Ricketson
4. Freddy
5. Ricky
6. and the Salary Cap

t-ba

Post Whore
What sickens me is that the blokes in the lower grades won't recieve any benefits.

AFAIC, terminate their involvement with the NRL when their license comes up for review if they wish to pursue this ludicrous manner further.

Anonymous

Juniors
AFAIC, terminate their involvement with the NRL when their license comes up for review if they wish to pursue this ludicrous manner further.

I agree. Surely the NRL is within its rights to not extend an invitation to any club who doesn't wish to play by the rules that it has set? It has finally been determined that the Souths exclusion was legal, so does this set a precedent? Can the NRL now just say bugger off if it doesn't want a team competing?

t-ba

Post Whore
I don't see why not. As soon as their agreement is up, the NRL doesn't have to be involved with them. They don't need a 'criteria' to justify exclusions these days.

Crippler

Juniors
get rid of the roo$ters.

Give there couple of hundred juniors to souths sydney and bring in central coast and gold coast :)

rastus

Juniors
Crippler said:
get rid of the roo$ters.

Give there couple of hundred juniors to souths sydney and bring in central coast and gold coast :)

That's the best idea yet. Who really wants to see a competition comprising four teams :lol: :lol: . Pi$$ the roosters off and bring in another team, at least we won't have to put up with their whinging ad infinitum. Besides, they'll only be missed by a few thousand fans, nothing compared to what another team will bring with them.

ozzie

Bench
just remind me again - what was your crowd average again this year?? just over 9,000 wasn't - says a lot for Souths fickled supporters

bubs

Juniors
HAH.
Just remind me again, what was YOUR crowd average over the last 10 years or so.!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

bubs

Juniors
And I mean REAL FIGURES. Not the made up ones.
To get the real figures, just take the number of homes broken into at Bondi Jct during each Roosters game played over the past 10 years, and multiply by 20!!!!!!!
About 3000 a game, if memory serves.

ozzie

Bench
bubs said:
HAH.
Just remind me again, what was YOUR crowd average over the last 10 years or so.!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
more than yours thats for sure..

ozzie

Bench
bubs said:
And I mean REAL FIGURES. Not the made up ones.
To get the real figures, just take the number of homes broken into at Bondi Jct during each Roosters game played over the past 10 years, and multiply by 20!!!!!!!
About 3000 a game, if memory serves.

yeah righto - funny that the crowds figures are published by the controllers of the SFS not the club...

bubs

Juniors
ozzie said:
more than yours thats for sure..

I seriously doubt THAT.
The Sharks have averaged out somewhere in the order of 12000 or so over the past decade or so. Where were your supporters when your team was in the doldrums?. Going to the AFL next door, thats where.
Your team was struggling to get 8,000 to their games. And THAT was a highly inflated figure, as anyone who actually WENT to the games knows full well.
Including yourself, no doubt.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
If I was a rooster supporter, I would shut the f@#$ up, your team has illustrated it is a selfish club that has no respect for the game or fans.

innsaneink

Referee
If I was a rooster supporter, I would shut the f@#$ up, your team has illustrated it is a selfish club that has no respect for the game or fans.

No respect...no sense of fair play...win at all costs...if we cant win then we wanna change the rules to suit us....throw money at juniors.

What will happen in furure when they can keep theyre rep players?? They will come back to the other clubs, their bandwagon supporters will go back to follow the Swans...and middle of the road or worse will be calling.

Look at the game as a whole Roosters....its more fun playing with friends that on your own...though you seem to have mastered that 'playing with yourselves' bit quite well...........Wa*k*rs!!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
In the defence of the roosters :oops: they did have more "cardboard cutouts" in the last 10 years than any other club in the league. They also made the rent-a-crowd company the most lucrative in the business world.

So congratulations roosters!!....WE LOVE YOU!!!

Vaucluse Vulchures!! by name and by nature. :p

thickos

First Grade
a shameless attempt to kill the game. this smacks of murdering the competition while you're on top to preserve your position.

I agree, give em the boot

Latest posts