What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters looking to kill rugby league in Australia

Once Dead

Bench
So the Roosters are going to be wearing a familiar 'S' logo on their jerseys next year i take it?

Whoever is dreaming this up at this time is an idiot.....the clubs are already under fire when it comes to the pokie tax..........and remember what happened to the Olympic Sharks in the NSL???? There were some very high profile backers who spent a hell of a lot of money trying to build a successful team and win a premiership, then bailed.......whats to say the same wont happen to the Sydney Roosters - btw - Easts are dead.....name wise

izzo

Juniors
Crippler said:
get rid of the roo$ters.

Give there couple of hundred juniors to souths sydney and bring in central coast and gold coast :)

they only have 25 juniors and they normaly end up in playing in the South Juniors comp.

izzo

Juniors
ozzie said:
just remind me again - what was your crowd average again this year?? just over 9,000 wasn't - says a lot for Souths fickled supporters

Funny that since ive seen on some TV Games where the roosters couldnt get 6 thousand in the gate but the figures read 20,000. Also remember a few years ago those pictures taken of the rooster crowds and how they jacked up the crowd figures?.

Also at least South Fans are coverd by Poofs and Bandwagon supporters who will prolly hop off onto the Panthers now.

izzo

Juniors
Penelope Pittstop said:
Does anyone know how much the proposed increase to the Salary Cap is?

Well Gussy and Stewy want $32m to keep freddy , wingy , ricko and all them gafs.

gr8_1

Juniors
Impellitteri said:
So the Roosters are going to be wearing a familiar 'S' logo on their jerseys next year i take it?

Whoever is dreaming this up at this time is an idiot.....the clubs are already under fire when it comes to the pokie tax..........and remember what happened to the Olympic Sharks in the NSL???? There were some very high profile backers who spent a hell of a lot of money trying to build a successful team and win a premiership, then bailed.......whats to say the same wont happen to the Sydney Roosters - btw - Easts are dead.....name wise

Yes, the same backer as the Rooters

izzo

Juniors
Good old Nick Politius and the Boys down Bondi Way have a very Merry Red and Green X-Mas.

I can't believe how stupid you all are. If you lot are a guide to how intelligent the average Australian is then we as a nation are in a lot of trouble.

Anonymous

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
I can't believe how stupid you all are. If you lot are a guide to how intelligent the average Australian is then we as a nation are in a lot of trouble.

So we should all be happy to see the Roosters pushing their own cause at the expense of other clubs? :shock:

bubs

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:
THIS coming from a person that has a questionable intelligence capability in 99.99% of all the posts HE starts.

Eelectrica

Referee
We're all stupid for for not wanting to see the Roosters destroy the great game of Rugby League? I hardly think so.
Defending the Roosters actions though? That's just plain dumb.

izzo

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn. said:

its a higher figure than a Roosters Crowd

ibeme

First Grade
This approach has absolutely no forethought. It doesn't look at the consequences beyond NOW.

My guess is that the Roosters have already exceeded the cap for next year, speculating on heresay that the cap was going to be increased, and are now facing the stark reality of counting their chooks before they were hatched. The are now making the entire NRL competition pay for their arrogance.

As a Bulldogs supporter, I am too familiar with the fallout that comes from greed. Fortunately, the Bulldogs have had the sense to right their wrongs. The Roosters obviously didn't learn from the Bulldogs' mistakes, and the consequences of their actions extend to the future of the entire the competition, rather than being isolated to the season of one club.

Dominating the next two seasons isn't going to be much of a victory if there is no competition beyond then.

If the Roosters don't like the rules of the NRL they should bugger off to the Sydney Rugby Union competition.

They deserve each other.

Hurriflatch

Referee
The total lack of any real defence from the Rooster fans who have posted in this topic shows, just how little plausable defence there is for what this action will do to the game.

So far the only posts I've seen from Rooster fans have been two posts talking about Souths & Cronulla's crowd averages last year and one saying Souths fans are stupid (ok I'll give them that one :) )

seriously though

Lets examine this from both points of view

1) Roosters

RL is now a big business and in all business you need to look after #1. Get as many advantages as possible for your club/company while disadvantaging your rivals as much as possible.

Yep the Roosters achieve this by this action. By them getting thecap scraped then the comp will be reduced to I'd say no more then 10 teams all of the sudden about 250+ players/juniors come onto the markert to help make those 10 clubs one of which being the Roosters stronger. It also removes commercial rivals from the game meaning if a company wants to sponser a team then are only 10 to chose from not 15.

It also means that all of the sudden the Roosters only need to beat 10 teams to win the comp not 15.

2) NRL, Fans and 90% of other clubs
NRL - They want to have a successfull competition with as many viable clubs as possible.

Fans - They want to be able to support thier local area team not the West Parramatta Catdogs or the South Shire Dragsharks Raider Storms.

90% of other clubs - They obviously want to be able to continue to compete in the competition thus getting more money. THrough ticket sales, merchandise, sponsorship etc.

Looking at these arguments. How are they effected by the Roosters actions. Well the abolishment of the salary cap WILL repete WILL result in clubs forced to fold or merge. The NRL will llose clubs form the competition this will open some areas for this likes of RU, Soccer and AFL to swoop, that will mean there will not be as many kids playing Leauge which will result in less players coming through which will see more clubs forced to fold or merge.

For the fans with teams forced to merge that will be sides they have followed will no longer be part of the NRL which will see at least some of these fans stop supporting the merged side and start to support RU, Soccer or AFL clubs. This will see less money come into the game which leads to

Other Clubs - With less money comeing in due to fans leaving. Clubs may no longer be able to afford to keep their team afloat even if they have already merged due to issues stated earlier. Over time even these JV may be forced to again merge with any club.

All of these things combined could theoretically see about 8 clubs remain in the comp. Then maybe one year a team will win both the Wooden Spoon and the Competition.

Hey, Bulldogs fans. Would you press for another court case if the Salary cap is found to be illegal? I'm sure the NRL would have heaps of legs to stand on if they're found to have enforced an illegal rule to help the Roosters win their only title of the last 25 years.

Either way, I'm waiting for a Gallop/NRL back down on their hard-line on increasing the salary cap. The Roosters get what the Roosters want.

Eelectrica

Referee
Either way, I'm waiting for a Gallop/NRL back down on their hard-line on increasing the salary cap. The Roosters get what the Roosters want.

It's a tough call. On the one hand the last thing the NRL needs is another court case, but if all club has to do too get what they want is threaten the NRL with legal action against the salary cap, that's going to be an unmanageable situation.

The NRL will be shit scared that the courts will rule it illegal. Butterfield's player Union will back the Roosters cause it'll mean more money NOW, not caring for the future and the Roosters will get up like the player draft being declared illegal. With the NRL's stance on the Bulldogs being so harsh they'll stand to lose just about everything if they let the courts decide.

Anyone got any ideas as to why the cap is so evil this year apart from last year when it helped them get rid of the year's most winning team?

strider

Post Whore
ibeme said:
My guess is that the Roosters have already exceeded the cap for next year, speculating on heresay that the cap was going to be increased, and are now facing the stark reality of counting their chooks before they were hatched. The are now making the entire NRL competition pay for their arrogance.

Spot on the money there!!!

I used to kinda like the Roosters (as a 2nd/3rd team type thing)...but over the last couple of seasons I think they have proven themselves to be one of the sh_ttiest clubs in the comp....they have some great players that I like (Freddy, Ricko, Wing - I even think Morley is good entertainment value), but the club itself is turning into a complete joke!...as soon as they realise they have cap trouble, they want to change the rules....talk about a stuck up pack of whinging arsewipes!!!

And I am sick of all this "restraint of trade" bull!!!...yes rugby league revolves around business, but its different - its based on sport - the NRL should have EVERY right to dictate how the league operates (what the rules are, who plays in it, etc etc) - if you don't like playing by the rules, then piss off and play with yourselves!!! (oh, you roosters are already doing that eh!)

Latest posts