What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters name & logo

Robbie 12

Juniors
Were Maroubra originally Souths or Easts. Location-wise they're borderline... however I have no doubt that Coogee Dolphins, Coogee-Randwick Wombats, Kenso, Moore Park, and anyone else i've forgotten around here, should belong to Easts.

yes, some of these teams did belong to easts, but they all defected to the souths juniors, because of poor easts miss management and lack of funds in the 1950's, as souths were at the time were very successful, with 5 premierships 1950,1951,1953,1954,1955.....

melon....

Coach
yes, some of these teams did belong to easts, but they all defected to the souths juniors, because of poor easts miss management and lack of funds in the 1950's, as souths were at the time were very successful, with 5 premierships 1950,1951,1953,1954,1955.....
The fact remains Souffs conspired with teh NSWRL to change teh borders for good. Whilst Easts were down Souffs laid the boot in, thats their dirty style. Souffs are my most hated team and should be every Rooster supporter's most hated team.

Goddo

Bench
On logos, I don't see the need of teams to have its mascot name blazed across its logo. The Big F'in chook gives it away... Don't need to write Roosters on it like a baseball team. Looks stupid to me. Only words on a logo should be the Name of the city/location, or something historic or heritage, like foundation year, or a motto (eg Easts to Win).

Titans do the same thing. Looks spectacularily sh!t. At least the Warriors one isn't written over the top of the logo. How many of the really big quality sporting clubs in the world do it?

The fact remains Souffs conspired with teh NSWRL to change teh borders for good. Whilst Easts were down Souffs laid the boot in, thats their dirty style. Souffs are my most hated team and should be every Rooster supporter's most hated team.

It's just natural though. :lol:

Sparky 74

Juniors
Good luck to Easts if they can re-invent themselves as what they once were.

One thing though - the word Suburbs may not pass muster in the modern world. Too many conotations of the humdrum.

Either Eastern Sydney Roosters or East Sydney Roosters would be good solutions. A bit each way, best of both worlds scenario.

I'm not a Rooster support but I am a NRL support.

I do like the sound of East Sydney Roosters.

I do think when teams were merging that Easts, Souths & Newtown should of merged.

1 mega Sydney team South East Sydney Jets (est 1908)

As for the West Sydney Teams Parra,Penrith & West Tigers should of merged & be known as West City Panthers ( EELS playing strip)

lturner

Juniors
On logos, I don't see the need of teams to have its mascot name blazed across its logo. The Big F'in chook gives it away... Don't need to write Roosters on it like a baseball team. Looks stupid to me. Only words on a logo should be the Name of the city/location, or something historic or heritage, like foundation year, or a motto (eg Easts to Win).

Titans do the same thing. Looks spectacularily sh!t. At least the Warriors one isn't written over the top of the logo. How many of the really big quality sporting clubs in the world do it?

Well said about the logos.

Another thing is that the nicknames are better just left as nicknames, not as the official name of club. The problem for the Roosters is that no-one, not even our own supporters, ever refer to the club simply as Sydney. And I doubt anyone ever will, because it is too broad and doesn't have much historical legitimacy.

ByRd

First Grade
Yes you guys should. Our club finally listened to the fans and have changed our logo to a more traditional style and more importantly changed our name back to Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, just keep making noise about it and the club will eventually get the message.

Yes you guys should. Our club finally listened to the fans and have changed our logo to a more traditional style and more importantly changed our name back to Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, just keep making noise about it and the club will eventually get the message.

Well said. I've never had an issue with being called Eastern Suburbs (Easts) and I don't even live there. No one really identifies themselves being from Sydney accept maybe on a geo/political level. It's tribalism that makes the game so great. Easts to win!

dannlarusso

Juniors
I'd love for them to go back to the "Easts" Roosters emblem (or silhouette) currently emblazoned on most of the other merchandise they sell. Solid blue Rooster within the white or red of the Home jersey V, and whatever other colour works on the alt/away jerseys.

Yes it's very Souths, and to a lesser extent Panthers and Phins, but I think it would only serve to fuel the Rabbitohs rivalry even more when you see two traditional Sydney teams playing with the more traditional emblems.

Hell you could even trial run it as an alt-heritage jersey (perhaps a versus Rabbitohs only jersey) that they can gauge interest on for a more permanent change?

In terms of name: I think going back to adding the word "Suburbs" in the name is regressive in a sense it makes the team appear very small. Sure, you may bring some short lived joy to older die-hards that remember them before the Sydney City days, but a proper area qualifier akin to "Eastern Sydney" would be much better in that it bridges new fans with the old and gives the team a more accurate locale identifier.

What I think we should DEFINITELY steer clear of is the Wests Tigers solution. Unless you had some basic understanding of the NRL and it's teams and history, what "West" are you referring to? If I was new to the country, state or new fan generally, I would immediately assume "Wests Tigers" were on the West Coast. South Dragons (NBL) have the same problem, Western Force (RU, I think) and Western United FC (A-League)... it's all meaningless and can even drive a disconnect if you're not actively wanting to look into their location or a fan of the league already.

Sorry but I like the logo as it is, and hate the old Rooster one. To me it looks like something a talented child would draw - its bland in my opinion. The one we adopted in 2000 is more distinctive and the crest is done well so that it resembles the Opera House giving it a nice Sydney flavour. I'm tired of all the backwards looking stuff. We've had this logo for 23 years, and haven't been called Eastern Suburbs since 1994 which will be 30 years ago by next season.

p.s. I'm in my mid-50s so I've been following the Roosters for a long time. I respect our club's past and history.

Last edited:

Llangennech

Juniors
I'd love for them to go back to the "Easts" Roosters emblem (or silhouette) currently emblazoned on most of the other merchandise they sell. Solid blue Rooster within the white or red of the Home jersey V, and whatever other colour works on the alt/away jerseys.

Yes it's very Souths, and to a lesser extent Panthers and Phins, but I think it would only serve to fuel the Rabbitohs rivalry even more when you see two traditional Sydney teams playing with the more traditional emblems.

Hell you could even trial run it as an alt-heritage jersey (perhaps a versus Rabbitohs only jersey) that they can gauge interest on for a more permanent change?

In terms of name: I think going back to adding the word "Suburbs" in the name is regressive in a sense it makes the team appear very small. Sure, you may bring some short lived joy to older die-hards that remember them before the Sydney City days, but a proper area qualifier akin to "Eastern Sydney" would be much better in that it bridges new fans with the old and gives the team a more accurate locale identifier.

What I think we should DEFINITELY steer clear of is the Wests Tigers solution. Unless you had some basic understanding of the NRL and it's teams and history, what "West" are you referring to? If I was new to the country, state or new fan generally, I would immediately assume "Wests Tigers" were on the West Coast. South Dragons (NBL) have the same problem, Western Force (RU, I think) and Western United FC (A-League)... it's all meaningless and can even drive a disconnect if you're not actively wanting to look into their location or a fan of the league already.
That's up to the administrators to have a sport that people want to watch. People will usually pick a side due to colours, kit or a player or like me who's anti-monarchist, anti-capitalist and short who would then obviously go for Western Suburbs. I have Western Suburbs Tigers and Wests Tigers RL on my tops. There's no such place as Arsenal, Rangers, Celtic. Where's Ajax? Galatasaray? Zenit? Young Boys? Celta? Betis? Olympiacos? Feyenoord?

dannlarusso

Juniors
Sorry but I like the logo as it is, and hate the old Rooster one. To me it looks like something a talented child would draw - its bland in my opinion. The one we adopted in 2000 is more distinctive and the crest is done well so that it resembles the Opera House giving it a nice Sydney flavour. I'm tired of all the backwards looking stuff. We've had this logo for 23 years, and haven't been called Eastern Suburbs since 1994 which will be 30 years ago by next season.

p.s. I'm in my mid-50s so I've been following the Roosters for a long time. I respect our club's past and history.

My comment was more around why I WOULDN'T like to go back to "EASTERN SUBURBS" - but if it was a popular opinion to call back to some of that history in some sort of brand refresh, EAST SYDNEY would be my happy medium if they were to change at all.

Ideally i'd love to revert to the current EASTS Rooster silhouette as I stated, but would be reasonably fine with retaining the current Rooster head, without the "Sydney" or large "Roosters" script within it, much like they use on the social media accounts the club runs.

That's up to the administrators to have a sport that people want to watch. People will usually pick a side due to colours, kit or a player or like me who's anti-monarchist, anti-capitalist and short who would then obviously go for Western Suburbs. I have Western Suburbs Tigers and Wests Tigers RL on my tops. There's no such place as Arsenal, Rangers, Celtic. Where's Ajax? Galatasaray? Zenit? Young Boys? Celta? Betis? Olympiacos? Feyenoord?

I understand what you mean by the soccer comparison, and I agree, those you mentioned are a great argument for non-location specific names, just like Arsenal works much better for branding than "North FC" would ever be, as you're calling to a location most laymen or international fans wouldn't understand upon first learning of the teams in the league.

Happy with Sydney in our title. I prefer the silhouette but would like it sitting on a ball with the words ‘EASTS’ on it like it once did.

Llangennech

Juniors
I understand what you mean by the soccer comparison, and I agree, those you mentioned are a great argument for non-location specific names, just like Arsenal works much better for branding than "North FC" would ever be, as you're calling to a location most laymen or international fans wouldn't understand upon first learning of the teams in the league.
The Arsenal were formed in south London, but anyway, Wests, Souths, Norths etc. is culturally Aussie, I don't want every place on the planet to be the same and to think the same. We don't use the phrases 'News Ltd', 'rorting', 'fair dinkum', 'dunny', 'overs' etc. and I don't want you to stop using them. I want you to stop using the word Sydney, I didn't like Sydney City. Stop worrying about what ppl outside Australia think.

rightleftin

Juniors
Were Maroubra originally Souths or Easts. Location-wise they're borderline... however I have no doubt that Coogee Dolphins, Coogee-Randwick Wombats, Kenso, Moore Park, and anyone else i've forgotten around here, should belong to Easts.
No Maroubra team in Eastern suburbs until combined comps started in modern times. Maroubra Waratah first played in SSDJRL in 1922. Moore Park always Souths from 1910.

H.H

Juniors
The 2007/08 emblem is the best I have seen. It's perfect and I always wished that they'd adopt it permanently.

As for the name, they're still Easts to me and always will be. No one calls them Sydney and at the end of the day, I'm not sure it really matters anymore...I've definitely softened on that one over the years.