What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters, NRL have failed Todd Carney

CC_Roosters

First Grade
"If he'd engaged in anti-social behaviour, if he'd brought himself to the attention of the people that are running these establishments for behaving poorly, then he'd have a target on his back that we wouldn't miss," Gallop said.

"Our own investigations indicate he didn't behave badly in those establishments, but there's a big question mark over what he was doing there, and what his mental state was to find himself there in such a public place.

"This is a guy with a history, a guy who gave some pretty big undertakings to the world a couple of weeks ago and I think it's his reckless disregard for those undertakings that's perhaps the most alarming aspect of where he's at.

"... to go to (Kings) Cross, where he was bound to be seen, to me shows that he is very much a troubled person at the moment, and that makes me sad for him."

Gallop said the NRL and the Roosters would be guided by the advice of medical experts.

Sounds as though Gallop understands the seriousness of Carney's problems though. Perhaps that accounts for his serious tone?

The bit in bold was fairly assertive, but yes he definitly understands how serious it is. Loz made some good points just there about the consequences about de-registering players like carney with mental/alcohol problems, possible suicide et.....

I'm all for the guys re-habilitation and playing again.

Broncomum

Juniors
Alcohoilc? Maybe.

Personality disorder? Definitely.

The guy needs serious help.

Roosters coach Brian Smith applauded the club's decision to stand by Carney, admitting it had been obvious to all at the club that something was amiss with the wonderfully talented playmaker, who battled injury and poor form over the opening month of the season.

"We've all known that there have been issues for him and he's not been quite the same guy with us this year as what he was when he was at his best during the course of last year," Smith told AAP.

"We've all tried to work with him and understand him but we've reached the point where even Todd realises he needs expert help - he doesn't need a footy coach, he doesn't need a CEO ... he needs professional assistance."

I think everyone has reached that conclusion now. Maybe this is a wake up call for the whole of the League, that these things can no longer (in this day & age) be put in the 'boys will be boys' basket?

There's this 'excess epidemic' these days. Everything has to be bigger and bolder; the good and the bad. The wins are big, the money is big, the pressure is big, the problems are big.

Could be time for a reality check.

adamkungl

Immortal
Alcohoilc? Maybe.

Personality disorder? Definitely.

The guy needs serious help.

Why does their have to be a disorder or disease? He's had a difficult month or two on and off the field, isn't the brightest bloke going around and is probably just feeling down and making poor decisions.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Why does their have to be a disorder or disease? He's had a difficult month or two on and off the field, isn't the brightest bloke going around and is probably just feeling down and making poor decisions.

A troubling month or two? :lol:

Wake up!

That's like saying the Bunnies miss one or two tackles every game.

Carney's problems with alcohol run much deeper than "yeah...having a bad month" :roll:

Sudhir

Juniors
Carney would probably be eligible for the Paralympics wouldn't he? His IQ wouldn't be more than 70

Gives him some more careers options if this saga ends badly

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Youre a good bloke and I respect your opinions, but mate, seriously, you have to look at the bigger picture.

He's "troubled" beyond the point of help IMO. He just doesn't get it. It doesn't compute for him how things he does effect others.

He's an idiot. And he always will be.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I agree with Ronnie about Toddy possibly having a personality disorder, and part of that disorder is his compulsion to get on the drink.

Its fairly obvious that the roosters signed Carney from Atherton way too early when his problems were papered over rather than fully fixed.

The question is, will the roosters be fair dinkum in getting him help because they give a damn about him or will they help him because they give a damn about their season going pear shaped?

CMUX

I agree with Ronnie about Toddy possibly having a personality disorder, and part of that disorder is his compulsion to get on the drink.

Its fairly obvious that the roosters signed Carney from Atherton way too early when his problems were papered over rather than fully fixed.

The question is, will the roosters be fair dinkum in getting him help because they give a damn about him or will they help him because they give a damn about their season going pear shaped?

I don’t know if anybody saw the back page last night (The TV show) but Paul Kent mentioned that Carney was off the booze the whole of last year (under the watchful eye of Brian Smith) until the moment he went into the Australian camp and he and the rest of the “fringe” players went on a month long bender.

Now I fully agree that Todd has to learn to say no to alcohol on his own but surely the NRL have to seriously look at the environment/culture of the rep sides.

Lambretta

First Grade
Souffs fans are the scum of the league, forcing Carney onto the drink with their repulsive appearances

That and a combination of having to watch Jason Ryles give away penalties is enough to put anyone on the drink.

I skulled a bottle of single malt and four bottles of wine watching my last Roosters game - and then I offered out everyone to a fight, threw up down myself and got arrested trying to steal a car so I could take 15 prostitutes home to bathe me.

By my reckoning Carney is doing well just having a few Vodka and Soda's.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Say what you will about the bloke, but doesn't he have great taste in alcohol. Vodka and OJ, Vodka and lemonade, that's BunniesMan's style of drink! If Carney likes to drink what BunniesMan likes to drink, he must be awesome!

Latest posts