What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters prime time axe, LOL@ROOSTERz

Penance

Juniors
Roosters prime time axe

Glenn Jackson and Brad Walter | April 3, 2007 | Sydney Morning Herald

Just a day after coach Chris Anderson predicted things couldn't get any lower for the Sydney Roosters, they did, with the club dumped from prime-time television billing this Friday night in favour of arch-rivals South Sydney.

In a clear case of contrasting fortunes for the two neighbouring clubs, Souths secured their first Friday night prime-time television game since 2002 - which officials believe will give the club and its backers $250,000 of exposure - along with the signature of Kiwi international back-rower David Fa'alogo on a new four-year deal.

As the Roosters went into damage control, with Anderson slapping a media ban on the team until further notice following its "capitulation" to Manly and his scathing assessment of its performance, Channel Nine was finalising plans to shift the Souths v Bulldogs clash from the second Friday night game into the live slot ahead of the Roosters v Brisbane match.

Nine had originally selected the traditional Roosters-Brisbane Good Friday clash to headline its coverage, however, after the Rabbitohs' shotgun start to the season and with the Roosters and Brisbane remaining winless after three rounds, a late change was made.

In a landmark day for Souths:

■ Executive chairman Peter Holmes a Court said the club would be about $250,000 better off through its Friday night coup and, despite the live coverage, said he was still hoping for a bumper crowd of 50,000 at Telstra Stadium;

■ Bulldogs enforcer Willie Mason admitted he was wrong in last season writing the Rabbitohs off as finals contenders;

■ Fa'alogo admitted the way co-owners Russell Crowe and Holmes a Court had turned the club around had helped him decide to stay.

The 26-year-old told the Herald: "It definitely made the decision a bit easier after Russell and Peter took ownership of the club. It's been a better place ever since. Everyone seems to be happy and it obviously shows on the field. The place is buzzing."

After originally seeking a three-year deal, his manager Gavin Orr said the Rabbitohs had been keen to have Fa'alogo come off contract at the same time as Test teammate Roy Asotasi - in 2011 - to keep a core group of leaders at the club long term.

"Hanging around with Roy and Kiddy [David Kidwell] and Nigel [Vagana] a bit longer is just a bonus," Fa'alogo said. "I'm just over the moon."

Fa'alogo will face the Bulldogs on Friday night in the Rabbitohs' first TV prime-time Friday game since round eight in 2002 - the year the club was readmitted to the premiership.

Sydney Morning Herald

OVP

Coach
A sensible decision. I cant find fault with that at all. Even I would rather watch Souths play the Dogs, than the Roosters get MAULED by the Broncos.

Well done Souths, you certainly deserve your success atm.

LRC

I would rather see the dogs v soutrhs game and Im as red white and blue as they come.

The Preacher

First Grade
They finally listened to Timmah. I knew he'd make an impact on the establishment one day. :lol:

Danish

Referee
You would have to think Brisbane's performances (remember, they are also winless) would have come into effect.

No one wants to see a cripple fight instead of watching 2 massive packs face off.

I wonder if we can petition the SFS to show the coverage on the big screen? Might make the Roosters loss easier to bear by watching either Souths or the Dogs go down, haha

Balmain_Boy

This anti-Roosters shyte by Souths' fans is hardly very endearing.

If Rabbitohs' fans aren't careful I can see them taking on the Roosters' mantle as most hated within the year.

The Preacher

First Grade
Especially when you find half of the Souths supporters that will trundle along on Friday night haven't been to the footy since Mario left the team.

Souths will have so many fans coming out of the woodwork now, they might as well call themselves the "Termites".

It'll be sickening for the rest of us.

Souths fans seem to think they have a mortgage on being hard done by, makes me laugh all the time.

Trentski

Juniors
At all the Roosters bashing the Bunnies fans are doing, what goes round comes round.

Lets go DOGGIES!!!!

bring them back to reality

Raider_69

Post Whore
OVP said:
A sensible decision. I cant find fault with that at all. Even I would rather watch Souths play the Dogs, than the Roosters get MAULED by the Broncos.

Well done Souths, you certainly deserve your success atm.

i disagree
i would get sheer enjoyment from seeing the chooks get mauled by the broncos

nqboy

First Grade
Newtown Jets fan said:
Souths will have so many fans coming out of the woodwork now, they might as well call themselves the "Termites".
As opposed to Piggins' Whiteants?

Tom Shines

First Grade
Trentski said:
At all the Roosters bashing the Bunnies fans are doing, what goes round comes round.
It's actually a case of what's been around is now coming back around. (?)
It's revenge for all the years of torment from Roosters fans, half of which weren't even Rooster fans until 2000.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Balmain_Boy said:
This anti-Roosters shyte by Souths' fans is hardly very endearing.

If Rabbitohs' fans aren't careful I can see them taking on the Roosters' mantle as most hated within the year.

Quite frankly we couldn't care less, this isn't a popularity contest.

Although some of you seem to have short memories re: the way in which we were harrassed by Roosters fans for the last 10-15 years. Every day there would be a Roosters fan popping onto a Souths forum and post 'soufs suck' or something to that effect. It's finally coming back to bite them on the arse.

brendothejet

First Grade
anyone else here who is a neutral fan thinking of going out to it?? Me and a couple of other dragons boys are...should be a crac ker an 50k isn't out of reach...

Muffdaddy

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
Quite frankly we couldn't care less, this isn't a popularity contest.

Although some of you seem to have short memories re: the way in which we were harrassed by Roosters fans for the last 10-15 years. Every day there would be a Roosters fan popping onto a Souths forum and post 'soufs suck' or something to that effect. It's finally coming back to bite them on the arse.

Soufs still suck. You've just bought yourselves a better team and are playing good footy. Funny how everyone thinks its so great you guys have thrown money around at anyone who can play but when any other team does it, there are cries of "Develop your own!!!!" "Stop stealing our players!!!". Everyone has their turn at the top of the tree. Enjoy it. Its fun.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
So on one hand we suck and on the other its 'enjoy your time at the top of the tree'?
Wanker.

m0j0

Bench
S.S.T.I.D said:
So on one hand we suck and on the other its 'enjoy your time at the top of the tree'?
Wanker.

Not really. You should enjoy your time at the top... but you still suck!

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Newtown Jets fan said:

It'll be sickening for the rest of us.

Souths fans seem to think they have a mortgage on being hard done by, makes me laugh all the time.

Sorry precious. Only 3 weeks of some needle and you are crying foul already?

How about the 15 years of stick we copped from the Rooster supporters? A kick here and there on your mob should be enough to remind you the next time you guys are on top of us. Then again, maybe we should place a few more boots into you, just to make sure. :p

In terms of the Jets, let me say that I love them as a League supporter, but you have clearly hitched your wagon onto the wrong train. C'est la vie.

NGR

Juniors
why are fans from other clubs having a go at souths fans for sticking it to rooster fans? you know they have done it to us for 17odd years now and half of you lot probably have too. Hypocrites

just search OVPs post history and im sure you will see where we are coming from