What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roster for 2013 - Gains and Losses

One Warrior

Bench
Two new young signings for the Under 20s from England.

Vodafone Warriors sign young Leeds duo

Richard Becht

Saturday 13 July 2013 9:50 PM

The Vodafone Warriors have today signalled a new direction in their recruitment strategy by announcing they’ve signed two elite junior players from England for the club’s NYC squad next season.

General manager football operations Dean Bell said snaring highly-rated 18-year-old Leeds forwards Jordan Baldwinson and Mason Tonks underlined the club’s aim to promote and develop young players from not only New Zealand but also other parts of world.

The signings are a direct result of a reconnaissance trip Bell and chief executive Wayne Scurrah made to England recently where they met up with leading player agents including Craig Harrison, who manages both players.

“We’re really excited about signing Jordan and Mason. For us, this is the start of something new and something we see working very well for our club and for the game generally,” he said.

“Jordan has already made his Super League debut this year and Mason is highly regarded as well. While they’re only very young they’ve both got the qualities needed to become NRL players of the future.

“We’re seeing more and more evidence of players from Super League clubs having success in the NRL. Adrian Morley, Gareth Ellis and Sam Burgess have led the way while South Sydney is doing a great job developing the other Burgess boys into NRL players as well.”

Vodafone Warriors junior recruitment and pathways coach Stacey Jones, who will coach the club’s NYC side next season, welcomed the signings.

“They’re two young boys with big reputations and I’m sure they’re going to make a real difference to our squad,” he said.

“We’re committed to developing New Zealand players but we’re also keen to have the best players in our system wherever they come from.

“Like Dean, I’ve seen firsthand what sort of talent there is in England. It’s going to be of real benefit to us having strong relationships in the United Kingdom.”

Baldwinson, a Hunslet Hawks amateur, has been in the Leeds system since 2007. He captained the England Under-18s against France this year.

“I’m so excited about the opportunity to join the Warriors,” he said.

“I recently made my Super League debut for Leeds and the club wanted to keep me but I’ve always admired the NRL. It’s such a tough competition and I believe it will make me a better player being exposed to the intense competition week in, week out.”

Castleford-born and raised Tonks joined the Leeds academy in 2011, played for the club’s Under-20 in 2012 and has been involved with the first team squad this year.

“It’s a big move leaving home to come down to New Zealand but I really look forward to the challenge,” he said.

“I spent some time in Australia three years ago as part of a school exchange programme and enjoyed that and the profile rugby league enjoys in the southern hemisphere.”

The signings come at a time when the Vodafone Warriors have established a sister club partnership with Wigan, Bell’s long-time club during his playing career and later in a coaching and management role when he returned to England after the 1995 season as the Warriors’ foundation captain.

In a reciprocal gesture, Wigan general manager Kris Radlinski was in Auckland to spend time at the Vodafone Warriors just last month.

Vodafone Warriors assistant coach Ricky Henry is further strengthening the club’s relationships in England this week. He flew to the United Kingdom from Perth after the Vodafone Warriors’ clash against South Sydney and has visited Wigan and Warrington rugby league clubs plus Everton and Manchester City football clubs.

JORDAN BALDWINSON
Date of Birth: November 10, 1994
Birthplace: Leeds, England
Height: 188cm
Weight: 101kg
Position: Prop/Second Row
Junior Club: Hunslet Hawks
Club: Leeds Rhinos
Rep Honours England Under18 and Under-15

MASON TONKS
Date of Birth: October 11, 1994
Birthplace: Castleford, England
Height: 188cm
Weight: 100kg
Position: Second Row
Junior Clubs: Smawthorne Panthers, Normanton Knights
Club: Leeds Rhinos

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Vodafone-Warriors-sign-young-Leeds-duo/79378

Last edited:

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I guess NRL 20's is better than Leeds Rhinos U19's, yeah.

Mentioned in the article one of the players already made their first grade ESL debut, isn't it a bit of a step back to come to another country to essentially play reserve grade? Not complaining stoked that my club is branching out like this just seems a bit odd for someone on the fringes of first grade over there to come here and play 20's for us with pretty much no chance of NRL footy. IMO of course.

According to baldwinsons twitter he'll be playing Toyota cup at the start of the season, has
Signed for two seasons but can return home at the end of season 1.

What's the bet he leaves after a year in the Toyota cup and never makes first grade?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
According to baldwinsons twitter he'll be playing Toyota cup at the start of the season, has
Signed for two seasons but can return home at the end of season 1.

What's the bet he leaves after a year in the Toyota cup and never makes first grade?

I imagine they are both on two year deal with player or club options.
Whats the bet - I like those odd tbh - it is clearly worth the gamble.

He is in the same position that George Burgess was in two years ago.
Rated the best english forward in his age group - came out to NRL land to chance his arm...

Remember the UK dont have any reserve grade ..... they only have 19s..both players are too old for that..so smart move by them.

At least they can play plenty of football in NYC or NSW cup.
If they kick on - the club probably has an option to keep them for nothing.

Also all these clowns like Ozbash & co - who have or will complain about the lack of options for kiwis boys etc.

Thats rubbish - signing 2 non-kiwis would make only 3 (including kata) out of a squad of like 36 for nyc next year. No different to us signing Konrad Hurell or Solomone Kata - two born and bred tongans.

Actually the warriors seem to be investing more in the Vulcans and contract & play more boys in Vulcans. Meaning there are more spots available for genuine NRL potential players.

Thats what its all about.

They wont be stopping our genuine talent being promoted - it will only stop fill-in juniors or Fox veterans from getting called up to the vulcans.

Not every junior has potential to kickon - as long as they identify the best Nz players they will be fine.

Plus, they also got rid of Ackland...so im sure Jones will be directed to play genuine talent in their genuine positions lol

Skinner

Coach
Those two non-kiwis from tonga have gone well in the NYC.

Remember the warriors have huge squads and effectively have three teams now too.

Vulcans is made up of entirely Warriors contracted players now.

So, will the Auckland Clubs stop bleating now ?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
So, will the Auckland Clubs stop bleating now ?

They can stop bleating about vulcans stealing players ...which was a little absurd anyway
I think it is laughable these clubs think they own players any way.

I think they can still bleat to ARL about spending club money.... or selling carlaw park etc and having nothing to show for it.

Then ARL drip feed to the clubs and expect them to be happy.

ozbash

Referee
absolutely ridiculous !

in fact, f**king dumb !

It makes a joke of junior development here in NZ.

He is in the same position that George Burgess was in two years ago.
Rated the best english forward in his age group - came out to NRL land to chance his arm...

wow, impressive fact there, Crunchy...
pity it means sfa

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Excellent work by management. Hopefully we get a couple going the other way to experience the game over there. Can only see benefits out of this.

Iafeta

Referee
in fact, f**king dumb !

It makes a joke of junior development here in NZ.

wow, impressive fact there, Crunchy...
pity it means sfa

Based on what - I don't understand. As in the players will come to SFA? TBH, I thought that of the other Burgess brothers. I thought it was just an enticement to ensure they got Sam. But frankly, George has been awesome and his other brothers look good too. Baldwinson in particular is very highly rated.

And then, if it doesn't work out... so what? Neither of them will be on that much. If it does, then the return on the investment will be significant

I would agree it would make a mockery of development in NZ if there was a whole stack of them coming over. But there's 2. They usually play about 30-35 players in NYC per year. That's hardly going to shoot a stack of kiwis offshore. The other thing that may come from this whole English arrangement is something similar to what worked for Feleti Mateo - early on, Parramatta allowed Feleti to go to the Broncos in the ESL to get him first grade time to iron out some of his flaws. Then he returned to Parramatta and has gone on to have an excellent first grade career. We have suggested in the past players have been fast-tracked to the NRL too quickly and we've missed a step, this could potentially open up another channel to get prepared for first grade.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
I came on here expecting to see Ozbash glowing about this recruitment move. Imagine my surprise to find him whinging about it.