What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roster for 2013 - Gains and Losses

playdaball

Bench
Mara to get another chance?
With class hookers in short supply, a couple of NRL clubs are looking towards forgotten Warrior Alehana Mara. A talented hooker who has had a series of injuries in recent seasons, Mara is back on the field for the Vulcans in the NSW Cup and playing decent footy.

www.sportal.com.au

One Warrior

Bench
Feleti Mateo re-signs until the end of the 2016 season. Massive re-signing for the club.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Mateo re-signs
Richard Becht
Thursday 16 May 2013 12:30 PM

Gifted back rower Feleti Mateo today signed a new three-year contract to remain with the Vodafone Warriors until the end of the 2016 NRL season.
The two-time NRL All Star, off-contract at the end of the season, was courted by several clubs but has rejected their advances to stretch his time with the Vodafone Warriors to at least six years.
His signing comes a little more than 48 hours ahead of a landmark moment in his career when he makes his 150th NRL appearance in the Vodafone Warriors’ 10th-round encounter with Penrith at Centrebet Stadium on Saturday (7.35pm kick-off; 9.30pm NZT).
“There were other offers but there’s so much more I want to achieve with the team and the coaching staff at the Vodafone Warriors,” he said today.
“Making the move to this club has helped me to develop as a player and I know there’s a lot more room for improvement, too. I’ve also grown as a person since joining the club.
“My wife Michele and I have our first baby due in September and that made the decision extremely difficult but I’m really excited about our future here.
“We’ve got a great group of players and there’s loads of tremendous young talent coming through. I’d also like to play a leadership role in their development.
“I like what (head coach) Matt (Elliott) has put in place, the staff he has around him and the plans he has.
“This is a great club and I want to make a big contribution to our future.”
Head coach Matthew Elliott said re-signing Mateo was a major step forward for the club.
“It’s a highly significant statement that Feleti has committed himself to us,” he said.
“He’s a quality player and knows what we’re trying to achieve here. I’m excited to know he’ll be with us for another three years as we strive to take the Vodafone Warriors forward.”
Vodafone Warriors general manager football operations Dean Bell said Mateo’s re-signing was a major recruitment success following Manu Vatuvei’s re-signing last week on a new two-year term and the announcement on Sunday that Cronulla back rower Jayson Bukuya would be joining the club next season on a two-year contract.
“It’s a good sign to have Feleti secured for another three years and to have Jayson coming over as well,” he said.
“We know there are challenges securing players out of Australia at times but Feleti and Jayson have shown there are players who are really keen to come to our club and be a part of the great things we have to offer.
“Feleti loves living here in New Zealand. It was a big factor in him staying.”
Mateo signed his first three-year deal with the club in May 2010, making his debut against his former Parramatta team-mates in the Vodafone Warriors’ opening game of the 2011 season at Eden Park.
Since then he has put together an unbroken run of 61 matches, the only player who has appeared in for the Vodafone Warriors in that period.

FELETI MATEO
Born: May 02, 1985
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Position: Loose forward/second row/standoff
Height: 194cm
Weight: 107kg
Junior Club: Lalor Park (New South Wales)
Other Clubs: London Broncos 2005, Parramatta 2004, 2007-2010
NRL Debut: Parramatta v Melbourne, Olympic Park, July 24, 2004 (Round 20)
Club Debut: v Parramatta, Eden Park, March 12, 2011 (Round 1)
Club Number: 164
NRL Career: 149 appearances 2004-2013
Parramatta: 88 appearances 2004-2010
Vodafone Warriors: 61 appearances 2011-2013
NRL Points: 116 (29 tries)
Representative:
8 Tests for Tonga 2007-2009 (including 2008 World Cup)
City Origin 2008, 2012, 2013
NRL All Stars 2011, 2013
Australian Prime Minister’s XIII 2012

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/ANNOUNCEMENT-Mateo-resigns/74824

Apparently - Contract extensions for Laumape, Bhana, Vete, Havili and Raymond Mariner.

2015 for Laumape and one year upgrades to the full time squad in 2014 for the others.

And it sounds like the Sam L rumour is a goodie

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Happy about the upgrades to Laumape, Vete and Mariner for sure.

Not overly happy about Louisi leaving, and Havili I'm really not sold on.

One Warrior

Bench
Confirmation of Laumape's re-signing and others.

Extended contracts for top prospects
Richard Becht
Wednesday 22 May 2013 7:01 PM

Five of the Vodafone Warriors’ most promising prospects – including NRL rookie Ngani Laumape (pictured) – have today had their contracts upgraded for the 2014 season. Photo: PhoTheFilthySpammersport.
Centre-winger Laumape has been signed until the end of the 2015 season while Vodafone Junior Warriors captain David Bhana, prop Albert Vete, second rower Raymond Faitala-Mariner and hooker Siliva Havili will all join the 2014 NRL squad on one-year fulltime contracts.
Laumape and Havili, while still NYC eligible, started the 2013 season playing for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup with Laumape going up another level by making his NRL debut against Cronulla in March when he was still 19. He strung together a sequence of five impressive appearances for the top side and has been named on an extended interchange bench for the club’s 11th-round NRL encounter with the Newcastle Knights at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday.
Loose forward Bhana, Vete and Faitala-Mariner have been key contributors in the club’s NYC team now running fifth in the competition after beating top of the table Penrith 38-32 last Saturday night.
“There are further opportunities for other NYC players to gain NRL contracts but we’re really pleased with the way all five of these players are progressing and wanted to give them a clear signal of where they figure in our plans,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football operations Dean Bell.
“We see them making further progress next year as they strive to succeed in the NRL.
“We’ve already seen how many of our players have benefited from the change (head coach) Matt (Elliott) has brought to the way we develop our players, especially with Ngani and Siliva being moved up a level to play for the Vulcans and Ngani then going on to make his NRL debut.”
Bell said Vodafone Warriors junior recruitment and pathways coach Stacey Jones was working closely with Vodafone Junior Warriors coach John Ackland and the five players in their on-going development to become established NRL players.
Two of the quintet – Laumape and Vete – are products of the Vodafone Warriors’ rugby union scouting operation. Laumape played for the Palmerston North Boys’ High School First XV and also made the New Zealand Secondary Schools team before signing with the Vodafone Warriors, scoring 16 tries in 20 NYC games last season.
Vete also switched to rugby league last year after captaining the St Kentigern College First XV, playing 17 games for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in 2012 and all 10 games so far this season. He was a standout performer in last Saturday night’s win against the Panthers with game-high stats for runs (21) and metres gained (176) as well as scoring a try. Vete is the team’s leading player this year for most runs, metres gained and offloads.
Bhana, a player with a huge work ethic, was the NYC’s leading tackler last year with 957 (an average of 40 a game) and is again high up the charts with 364 tackles in nine games this year. At the same time, he’s finishing off a science degree at the University of Auckland.
Faitala-Mariner has made a huge impact as a ball-playing, wide-running second rower. In his last three games his numbers have been outstanding – a try each game, four line breaks, 12 tackle breaks and two try assists while averaging 12 runs a game, 112 metres and 29 tackles.
Havili has been a Vulcans regular this year, making just one NYC appearance. In 52 career NYC games he has scored 24 tries.
DAVID BHANA
Date of Birth: January 10, 1993
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Junior Club: Northcote Tigers
Position: Loose Forward
Height: 183cm
Weight: 96kg
Rep Honours: Junior Kiwis 2012, NZ Residents 18s 2011
NYC Games: 33 (2012-2013), 36 points (9 tries)
Secondary School: Birkenhead College
RAYMOND FAITALA-MARINER
Date of Birth: July 26, 1993
Junior Club: Otahuhu Leopards
Position: Second Row/Loose Forward
Height: 186cm
Weight: 105kg
Rep Honours: Nil
NYC Games: 16 (2012-2013), 20 points (5 tries)
Secondary School: Edgewater College
SILIVA HAVILI
Date of Birth: February 18, 1993
Junior Club: Manurewa Marlins
Position: Hooker
Height: 175cm
Weight: 99kg
Rep Honours: Junior Kiwis 2011-2012, NZ Residents 18s 2011
NYC Games: 52 (2011-2013), 100 points (24 tries, 2 goals)
Secondary School: St Paul’s College
NGANI LAUMAPE
Date of Birth: April 22, 1993
Birthplace: Palmerston North, NZ
Junior Club: Feilding Falcons
Position: Centre/Wing
Height: 178cm
Weight: 97kg
Rep Honours: NZ Residents 18s 2011, NZ Secondary Schools (rugby union and rugby league) 2011
NYC Games: 20 (2012), 64 points (16 tries)
NRL Debut: v Cronulla, Sharks Stadium, March 24, 2013 (Round 3)
NRL Games: 5
NRL Points: 4 (1 try)
Vodafone Warriors No: 180
Secondary School: Palmerston North Boys’ High School
ALBERT VETE
Date of Birth: January 24, 1993
Junior Club: St Kentigern College (rugby union)
Position: Prop
Height: 188cm
Weight: 110kg
Rep Honours: NZ Barbarians (rugby union)
NYC Games: 27 (2012-2013), 28 points (7 tries)
Secondary School: St Kentigern College

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Extended contracts for top prospects/75357

One Warrior

Bench
Warriors take up option on Pita Godinet for 2014.

Warriors keeping back-up hooker Pita Godinet
DAVID LONG

Warriors hooker Pita Godinet would have been willing to leave the club next year in search of a starting spot.

The Christchurch-born 25-year-old is having his breakthrough season with the club and has played in all but one of their games this season.

With the way he's going and the short supply of quality No 9s in the NRL, he could be in demand, but the Warriors have an option on him for 2014, and the club intends to take it up.

Godinet told the Sunday Star-Times he was unaware of the club's intentions.

"I am just trying to stay consistent week in week out. This is the best season I've had in the NRL because I've been playing in the majority of games this year and it's been good exposure for myself.

"If we can do the job as a team, then there will be rewards for each individual.

"I am trying to work on all of the basic things in my game, trying to perfect every little aspect. I am looking for a starting spot even if it's not here. I wouldn't mind going overseas and my wife wants to move over there too because her family are from Australia."

While Godinet was in the dark about whether the Warriors would take up their option, coach Matt Elliott told Sunday Star-Times they would. "All of the options that we're going to take up have been taken up. Pita is here next year," Elliott said.

Godinet may get his desired starting spot with the Warriors next year, though, because it appears that 32-year-old Nathan Friend hasn't yet been offered a contract for 2014. Two of the club's other hookers, Alahana Mara and Trent Bishop, have already been told that they won't be wanted next year.

The Warriors are close to announcing a couple of signings for the 2014 season and it's believed an offer has been put on the table for Sharks stand-off Chad Townsend, Todd Carney's understudy at the south Sydney club.

The only signing announced so far for next year is Townsend's current team-mate, Jayson Bukuya. The second-rower got 80 minutes of action in the Sharks' last two games, and was a stand-out performer. There was little fuss made when it was announced he was coming to the Warriors, but recent evidence suggests Elliott has pulled off one of the best signings of the season.

"I am delighted for Jayson," Elliott said of Bukuya's recent run of hot form. "He has got some more field time and he's doing exactly what I knew he was capable of.

"I certainly did a lot of homework on him and hopefully some other announcements may indicate that we've done our homework pretty well on some other people too."

- © Fairfax NZ News

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8746639/Warriors-keeping-back-up-hooker-Pita-Godinet

Penrose11

Juniors
So if Friend isn't retained then I reckon it would be Luluei to hooker and a new standoff coming in wether Townsend or someone else. Only problem I guess is finding someone willing to come across. I cant see Godinet as a starting 9. Impact player at best on current form.

So if Friend isn't retained then I reckon it would be Luluei to hooker and a new standoff coming in wether Townsend or someone else. Only problem I guess is finding someone willing to come across. I cant see Godinet as a starting 9. Impact player at best on current form.

Well if the rumour mill is to be believed our incoming for 2014 in a 100% strike rate scenario may be:

Bukuya (Signed)
Townsend ('Done Deal')
Sam Tomkins ('Done Deal')
Logan Tomkins (Rumoured)
FPN ('Top of the hit list')
Another 'outside back'

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10889340

One Warrior

Bench
Warriors re-sign Sione Lousi, Pita Godinet, Charlie Gubb & Suaia Matagi for 2014 and Sam Lousi until end of 2015.

Vodafone Warriors re-sign quintet
Richard Becht
Tuesday 11 June 2013 1:39 PM

Five of the Vodafone Warriors’ younger NRL squad members have today been re-signed for at least another season. Photos: Photosport.
Props Sione Lousi, Suaia Matagi and Charlie Gubb plus utility Pita Godinet have had their contracts extended to the end of the 2014 season while giant forward Sam Lousi has been secured until the end of 2015.
Of the quintet only Gubb is yet to make his NRL debut but has filled the 18th man role this year.
The towering Lousi brothers and Gubb have all been developed by the Vodafone Warriors through the club’s NYC side while Godinet and Matagi have come through the Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup to earn fulltime contracts. Sam Lousi was in the NYC premiership-winning Vodafone Junior Warriors sides in 2010 and 2011 while Gubb was in the champion 2010 side; Sione Lousi was a Vodafone Junior Warrior in 2008 and 2009.
All five featured in the Vodafone Warriors’ preseason trials with Godinet going on to claim a regular interchange spot through most of the campaign so far while Matagi became Vodafone Warrior No 181 when he debuted against the Bulldogs at Westpac Stadium on May 11.
Vodafone Warriors head coach Matthew Elliott is excited about what all five players have to offer the club.
“They all prepared really well for the season and are perfect examples of the way we want to see players emerging and growing through our system,” he said.
“Pita has done a terrific job for us this year, Suaia has really earned his shot in the NRL and Charlie is pushing hard for his chance.
“It’s been a tough year for Sione and Sam. Sam is only just back from injury and Sione is in rehab after knee surgery but they’re both fantastic prospects.”
Today’s announcement follows the recent contract extensions for five of the club’s most promising prospects Ngani Laumape, David Bhana, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Siliva Havili and Albert Vete. They’ll all be in the NRL squad next season, Laumape having already made six NRL appearances this year while still being eligible to play in the NYC.
“The five NRL signings announced today and the extensions for the five young players three weeks ago are all critical to building depth and competition in our NRL squad,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football operations Dean Bell.
“They also underline our commitment to developing our players through all levels of our system and show the pathways available to them.”
Of this year’s NRL squad 19 came up after playing for the club’s NYC team after the competition was introduced in 2008. Others like Manu Vatuvei, Sam Rapira, Simon Mannering, Thomas Leuluai and Jerome Ropati are all products of the club’s development system.
PITA GODINET
Date of Birth: December 21, 1987
Birthplace: Christchurch, NZ
Junior Clubs: Sydenham Swans, Woolston Rovers
Position: Hooker/Halfback
Height: 174cm
Weight: 85kg
Previous Clubs: Richmond Rovers
Rep Honours: 1 Test for Samoa 2010
Vodafone Warrior No: 170
NRL Debut: v South Sydney, ANZ Stadium, July 24, 2010 (Round 20)
NRL Games: 18 (2011-13), 16 points (4 tries)
Secondary School: St Paul’s College
CHARLIE GUBB
Date of Birth: May 17, 1990
Birthplace: Wellington, NZ
Junior Club: University Hunters (Wellington)
Height: 188cm
Weight: 107kg
Previous Clubs: Wynnum-Manly (Brisbane)
Rep Honours: Queensland Residents 2012
NRL Debut: Yet to make debut
Secondary School: Wellington College (Wellington)
SAM LOUSI
Date of Birth: July 20, 1991
Junior Club: Richmond Rovers
Position: Prop/Second Row
Height: 198cm
Weight: 118kg
Rep Honours: Junior Kiwis 2010-11
Previous Clubs: Nil
Vodafone Warrior No: 175
NRL Debut: v Newcastle, Mount Smart Stadium, July 21, 2012 (Round 20)
NRL Games: 2 (2012), 0 points
Secondary School: St Paul’s College (Auckland)
SIONE LOUSI
Date of Birth: October 8, 1989
Junior Club: Richmond Rovers
Height: 191cm
Weight: 106kg
Previous Clubs: Bay Roskill Vikings
Rep Honours: 1 Test for Tonga 2010
Vodafone Warrior No: 159
NRL Debut: v Gold Coast, Skilled Park, March 14, 2010 (Round 1)
NRL Games: 31 (2010-12), 4 points (1 try)
Secondary School: St Paul’s College (Auckland)
SUAIA MATAGI
Date of Birth: March 23, 1988
Junior Club: Te Atatu Roosters
Height: 183cm
Weight: 105kg
Previous Clubs: Mount Albert Lions
Rep Honours: New Zealand Residents 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Vodafone Warrior No: 181
NRL Debut: v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Westpac Stadium, May 11, 2013
NRL Games: 2 (2013), 0 points
Secondary School: Kelston Boys’ High School (Auckland)

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Vodafone Warriors re-sign quintet/76831

One Warrior

Bench
Chad Townsend has signed with us for two years, he has announced it on his Facebook page, club announcement should be tomorrow.

Izz

Bench
Chad Townsend has signed with us for two years, he has announced it on his Facebook page, club announcement should be tomorrow.
Guess i don't mind that if it's a depth signing. Not sure i'd want him here as a first-choice half, though.

Izz

Bench
Didnt eveyone say that about malony
looks like reaction on here was mixed at the time, some excited, some really disappointed (i seem to recall that being the general reaction across the league fans i knew at the time, too): http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=334702 (i'm avoiding work, which is why i have time to dig through threads from 2009 :p)

I've watched Townsend run around for the Sharks a few times the last couple years and haven't been especially impressed, but then again i do reckon it'd be hard to be a young half in a team with Gallen.

but yeah, i hear what you're saying, murray. hopefully my team has unearthed another high carat uncut diamond.

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
One arrives and one goes. Chad Townsend has been officially confirmed by the Warriors as signing for 2014 and 2015. Harry Seijka on the other hand has been granted an immediate release by the club to return to Sydney because he is homesick.

Vodafone Warriors sign Townsend
Richard Becht
Wednesday 12 June 2013 3:03 PM

Cronulla halfback Chad Townsend will join the Vodafone Warriors on a two-year contract for the 2014 and 2015 NRL seasons. Photo: www.sharks,com.au
Townsend (22), who captained the Junior Kangaroos in 2011, had a glittering NYC career with the Sharks making his NRL debut two years ago.
He was also courted by Melbourne, St George Illawarra and Penrith before deciding the Vodafone Warriors presented the best career move for him.
Head coach Matthew Elliott said Townsend’s all-round playmaking qualities and his goal-kicking ability set him apart.
“He’s going to be of tremendous value to us from next season,” he said.
“We’ve been watching him closely for some time and couldn’t be happier to have secured his services for the next two years.”
Townsend said he welcomed the opportunity to join the Vodafone Warriors.
“It’s a huge move for me having spent all my life in the shire (Cronulla) but I was hugely impressed with the Warriors’ recruitment approach,” he said.
“They did a fantastic job showing me what the club has to offer and also what a great place Auckland is to live in.
“The Sharks have developed me but this is too good an opportunity to miss. I want to establish myself at NRL level and the Warriors will give me the best possible chance to do that.”
Townsend has made 16 NRL appearances for Cronulla having played 55 times for the club in the NYC scoring 332 points.
He’ll have a Cronulla team-mate in Auckland next year with the Vodafone Warriors recently signing Sharks back rower Jayson Bukuya.
While confirming Townsend’s signing today, Vodafone Warriors general manager football operations Dean Bell said halfback Harry Siejka had been granted an early release from his contract, effective immediately.
“Harry told us he’s been missing home and wants to return to Sydney,” he said.
“It’s disappointing it hasn’t worked out for him here but he has been a model professional and we’d like to wish him all the best for the future.”
Siejka has been a regular for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup this season.
CHAD TOWNSEND
Date of Birth: January 10, 1991
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Yarrawarrah Tigers
Position: Halfback/Standoff
Height: 181cm
Weight: 89kg
Rep Honours: Junior Kangaroos 2011
NRL Debut: Cronulla v Brisbane, Toyota Stadium, June 03, 2011 (Round 13)
NRL Games: 16 (2011-2013), 68 points (3 tries, 28 goals)

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news-display/Vodafone-Warriors-sign-Townsend/76941

Iafeta

Referee
looks like reaction on here was mixed at the time, some excited, some really disappointed (i seem to recall that being the general reaction across the league fans i knew at the time, too): http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=334702 (i'm avoiding work, which is why i have time to dig through threads from 2009 :p)

I've watched Townsend run around for the Sharks a few times the last couple years and haven't been especially impressed, but then again i do reckon it'd be hard to be a young half in a team with Gallen.

but yeah, i hear what you're saying, murray. hopefully my team has unearthed another high carat uncut diamond.

Go me (for once) :cool:

T.T

Juniors
Guess i don't mind that if it's a depth signing. Not sure i'd want him here as a first-choice half, though.

it's definitely not a depth signing.. they would have promised him first crack at the halves otherwise he wouldnt have left cronulla

playdaball

Bench
Sunday news story ...

Warriors sign prop, believed to be Glenn Riley (Warrington prop)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors have signed an English player for next year's season, but it's not Sam Tomkins, yet.
Despite Tomkins last week playing down suggestions that he has decided to move to the NRL, Sunday News understand that his representatives, Wigan and the Warriors are now very close to reaching an agreement.
Tellingly though Tomkins, who was the man of the match in the England's 30-10 win over the Exiles yesterday, has been following the Warriors' turnaround in form and has been telling the UK media that he likes Auckland.
"The Warriors have won their past three games," Tomkins said on Thursday. "Auckland is a nice part of the world and I went there with England in 2010."
In the meantime, the Warriors have signed a young prop from England for next season. It is believed it is Glenn Riley, who plays for Warrington in the Super League, but there were a couple of other props that Warriors general manager football Dean Bell and CEO Wayne Scurrah met with when they went to England a few months ago.
Meanwhile, the Warriors will soon know whether they will offer Nathan Friend a contract for next season. The hooker has been told the club aren't taking up their option on him for 2014 and as such he will become a free agent, with a couple of NRL clubs already expressing an interest in him.
The Warriors need to finalise what their salary costs will be next year before knowing if they can fit Friend inside the cap, but would be more of a nice luxury rather than a key player for them.
Thomas Leuluai is expected to move to hooker next season, the option was taken up on Pita Godinet and it's only a matter of time before the highly promising Siliva Havili makes his NRL debut.
The Warriors have their first bye of the season next week and Warriors coach Matt Elliott says he has told the players they don't need to turn up for training again until Friday, to prepare for the following week's game against the Broncos.
"The players have got a home programme to do but they'll have until Friday off," Elliott said.
"So that will give us five training sessions going into the next game. The NRL season is such an arduous battle, so we'll give them the opportunity to get away from footy.
"They're not getting away from training, the expectations are there and we've got some training protocols in place to ensure that that's adhered to.
"The key thing is to use that constructively. Most of the players I've spoken to individually about it and they've got plans, but what we've agreed to do is think about it on Monday, not prior."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8801612/Warriors-sign-English-Super-League-prop