What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roster for 2013 - Gains and Losses

Meth

Staff member
By 'recruitment move', I meant a change in our strategy and philosophy towards recruitment. It wasn't a mistake.

ozbash

Referee
mate, why change the most successful thing the club has ?

our junior recruitment is without equal, it is seconed to no other NRL club in the history of U20's.

Now they want to bring in 'maybe' poms who might turn out ok..

what does this offshore junior recruitment do for the game (f**k the club) in NZ ?

Meth

Staff member
mate, why change the most successful thing the club has ?

our junior recruitment is without equal, it is seconed to no other NRL club in the history of U20's.

Now they want to bring in 'maybe' poms who might turn out ok..

what does this offshore junior recruitment do for the game (f**k the club) in NZ ?

They're not changing it. They're adding to it.

One Warrior

Bench
Nathan Friend staying with Warriors for next year after agreeing to a one year extension. Great news, never wanted him to go.

NRL: Hooker Friend staying with Warriors
By Michael Brown @Lionsden08

Warriors Nathan Friend in action against the Sharks at Mt Smart Stadium. Photo / Richard Robinson
Nathan Friend is one of the most popular players at the Warriors and fans will see a bit more of him in the future with the hooker agreeing to stay at the club for another year.

It has been a difficult six weeks for the 32-year-old. He was initially told the club wouldn't be taking up their option for another season on him and that he was free to look elsewhere before they came back and said they might be able to offer him a new contract.

That was confirmed two weeks ago when they tabled a one-year extension but Friend asked for time to consider the offer given it was a reduction from his current deal.

He had a couple of offers to continue his career elsewhere but he has decided to stay in Auckland where his young family are well settled, the club confirming last night that he would stay for at least another year.

The Warriors have already signed Cronulla half Chad Townsend and are on the verge of adding England fullback Sam Tomkins, which will put serious pressure on the salary cap.

It had also been assumed Thomas Leuluai would move from five-eighth to hooker next season. That might still be the case, but Leuluai has been one of the Warriors' best players in recent weeks.

Friend is showing signs of wear and tear after 12 seasons in the NRL - he has nerve damage in his shoulder - but has played the last 17 games this season and is an 80-minute player.

He has also been a key player in the Warriors' resurgence and has averaged close to 47 tackles - he sits on 793 tackles for the season and could tip over 1000 tackles in the final four games - and 50m a game.

He's not the sort to break a game open (five offloads and no linebreaks this season) but he rarely makes mistakes (eight errors) or takes the wrong option.

"It's fantastic to have my future sorted out here with the Vodafone Warriors," said Friend.

"While we looked at other options, this is where I wanted to be all along. I couldn't be happier staying with this club."

Head coach Matthew Elliott said securing Friend was a significant boost. "He brings a lot to our club both on the field and off it," he said.

"From the outset our attitude was that we wanted to be able to keep Nathan and we've been able to achieve it. That's brilliant for him and for his family as well as us and also our members and fans.

"It's never easy at times when players are in contract discussions but it's a huge credit to Friendy the way he has handled this situation."

- APNZ

By Michael Brown @Lionsden08 Email Michael

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10912425

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Steve Rapira to Salford

Steve Rapira had hoped to make a big impact with the Warriors but the utility will now attempt to do that with Salford after signing a two-year deal with the UK Super League outfit.
Things haven't worked out as well as Rapira had planned with the Warriors and he's made just 14 appearances in three seasons with the club. This year he nearly had his ear ripped off playing against the Sharks and soon after his return his season was ended by a serious knee injury.
"That's football,'' said Rapira, who has played a total of 40 NRL games since his first-grade debut for the Cowboys in 2009. ``That's the way it works out sometimes.
"While I haven't played as much football as I would have liked here, I love it at this club. It's been a great experience but now I'm looking forward to testing myself in England, getting myself right and playing football again.''
Rapira at least achieved an ambition to play an NRL match alongside older brother Sam. Sam was in the starting line-up and Steve was on the bench for the season-opening encounter with Parramatta and the following week they both started in the first home game of the year against the Roosters at Eden Park.

With his 2013 campaign ruined, Steve Rapira immersed himself in the club's community work with a strong focus on the club's Breakfast Warriors initiative. It earned him a nomination for the NRL's prestigious Ken Stephen Medal, awarded annually to the player judged to have made the most outstanding contribution to the community.
"Steve has been a model professional throughout,'' Warriors general manager football operations Dean Bell said. "The bad luck he has had with injuries has been unbelievable but he has still had a fantastic attitude despite spending so long on the sideline.
"We would have loved things to turn out a lot better for Steve and wish him and his family all the best in England.''
- APNZ

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11116469