What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 league viewing in Sydney city pubs- horror story

panthersballboy

Juniors
I went to the Rooty Hill RSL to watch it and they had all 3 super saturday games on the big screen. As someone suggested before Leauges clubs or RSL clubs will always show the great game.

sunny

At Wests Ashfield they dropped the league for the Super 12 final a couple of year back.

bazza

Immortal
Yes - this is a common problem

I like to meet some friends after work on a Friday for a drink and watch the game - but often get pissed off going to a venue and finding out they won't show it then trying to find somewhere that will.

On Fridays the problem seems to be that the union game starts at 7:30 so even if 1 person is watching it, they can't turn it over at 8:30.

I think we should start a name and shame campaign so that we know what pubs will and won't show the NRL as a priority.

From last week
Shame: Windsor
Good: City Bowlers Club

Paullyboy

Coach
The good old Mansfield Tavern always shows the footy on the big screen up here in Brisbane. Then again thats because me and my mates are pretty much the only one's there.

brook

First Grade
Balmain Leagues is just a 5 minute trip from town hall, always has league on and could use the funds - plus the drinks are cheap

So stop whinging and go to a club ;)

Nickeel

Juniors
As I said , most/all leagues clubs (e.g. Wentworthville) will have the league on the big screen as standard, and if another sport is on all you need do is ask at the bar and they will switch it. This has also been my experience at other pubs in the city (such as Strawberry Hills Hotel... ooh classy! $5 steaks!) - you just have to make your point known. :)

Nick

Pantherjim.

Referee
Choppies said:
At the rocks on Saturday they had the union on the big screen and League on the little screen. More people were facing the little screen than the big screen. I actually doubt anyone was watching the union.

And I think this is exactly the point that Ngunity was trying to make. Sydney is a RUGBY LEAGUE city, why do all these pubs who are run by clueless bartenders/maids and South African backpackers insist on putting Yawnion on the big screen to cater for a handfull of wankers as opposed to Rugby League, which would appeal to the majority, and would probably result in increasing their patronage??

The pub/club scene in Sydney obviously should re-examine their priorities! :roll:

CycloneSteve said:
I have great respect for Rugby Union. It is not as good as league but is still a great game. You have no right to rubbish it the way you did.

And yet...Union rates like a 1983 replay of Who's the Boss on FOX!!! :lol:

I played Union for 4 years - Years 8 thru 11 - at high school, as I had no choice if I wanted to play footy - no league team.

And it is a mugs 'n thugs game!

Skills/athleticism wise it cannot hold a candle to League. And the sheer THUGGERY!....I have played both codes extensively - and NEVER encountered even close to the foul play and sheer filthinness playing League, as in Union! the things that go on at the bottom of one of those rolling mauls, or in a scrum in Union - I can tell you, they simply beggar belief! :shock: Animals!!!

Young Elias

Juniors
We had super saturday at my local in Surry Hills last weekend. There were a few people around betting etc. The barman even came over and turned up the volume for us so we could listen to commentary.

That happened at my Local on Friday Night. All geared up to watch the Opening game of the season, and all I see around me is the Waratahs Cats Union game. I know the bar girls there and got a big telly changed to 9 right in front of my bar stool but was still peeved.

Most in the pub were semi- interested in the union, more getting on the sauce and talking sh!te. Was funny cause there was a gathering of about 3 dozen blokes around our TV, and hardly anyone was watching the big screen.

ibeme

First Grade
I've noticed it at a few pubs around the city also. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was some kind of financial arrangement in place to ensure that these venues to give RU priority. I don't know how else to explain it when the smaller telly with league on it so often has more people watching it than the big telly RU.

Some toff establishments clearly have a higher rate of RU supporters or wannabes, but most of the pubs aren't that way.

The Occidental will usually have the league on it's tellies

ngunity

Juniors
B-dos said:
You're going to a country that puts union well above league you idiot.

ahhh. sorry you've mis-understood me on that

I was saying I'm going to the UK for 2 years THEN coming back to Australia, and was saying in a 'tongue-in-cheek' scenario would Australian pubs be even showing Leauge by then and maybe even stop serving beer if this is the road they're heading down.....

it's re-assuring that despite the spread of this unacceptable problem, that in all scenarios the punters always surround the League TV and make it obvious to even blind freddy what the crowd wants to watch... surely some pubs will get the hint :cool:

ngunity

Juniors
Young Elias said:
We had super saturday at my local in Surry Hills last weekend. There were a few people around betting etc. The barman even came over and turned up the volume for us so we could listen to commentary.

which pub in Surry ? that's pretty darn close if take my girlfriend for dinner in crown st, and I'll know I've got a shoe in pub to sneak in some super saturday.... mwahahaha

bazza

Immortal
Bring back John Fifita said:
That happened at my Local on Friday Night. All geared up to watch the Opening game of the season, and all I see around me is the Waratahs Cats Union game. I know the bar girls there and got a big telly changed to 9 right in front of my bar stool but was still peeved.

Most in the pub were semi- interested in the union, more getting on the sauce and talking sh!te. Was funny cause there was a gathering of about 3 dozen blokes around our TV, and hardly anyone was watching the big screen.

Similar thing happened to some mates at the Slip Inn one Saturday

They were watching the league on the large television when the bar guy came over and switched it onto some union match. When they complained he said it was a "union pub".

They had to watch the rest of the league on a small screen. They had 20 blokes watching the small screen with 2 or 3 watching the large screen.

Also please people - don't be affraid to say who does and doesn't show the matches - as a community service to us here

ali

Bench
I usually just complain and get my way. It worked ok in England too. I remember getting the Super league on the screen in the walkabout in Brighton.

brooksy19

Bench
my local the bateau pub shows league over anything else.. they have a tiny little tv in the corner with the yawnion, it was funny one night there was about 40 people watching the big screen (league) and one nerdy looking guy on his pat malone in the corner facing the other way watching union drinking a vodka and orange..

Trollhammaren

Juniors
C'mon, name and shame these pubs. I don't normally run into this problem because pubs that prioritise union over league aren't my sort of place anyway (metro/snob/trendwhore joints).

But I did work briefly at the Royal Hotel in Ryde and the manager was a 'Tahs' fan and would only show the league on the small tv in the small room up the back. So I wouldn't go there.