What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Cowboys

Mark D

Juniors
Get ready for an up and down start to the season. I don’t see us starting like we did last year but instead start and hopefully finish like the Roosters did last year.. Like the chooks of 2018 it’s gonna take time for the combinations to settle but once they do I think we will be very potent...I also expect one or two of our young forwards to really break out this year...

possm

Coach
Get ready for an up and down start to the season. I don’t see us starting like we did last year but instead start and hopefully finish like the Roosters did last year.. Like the chooks of 2018 it’s gonna take time for the combinations to settle but once they do I think we will be very potent...I also expect one or two of our young forwards to really break out this year...

The difference is that the Chooks have a variety of game plans and are able to switch between them during a game. I believe Mary will use the same game plan he has used for the past few years. This means our forwards will be going flat out from round 1. So win or lose all will be the same. Unless we rotate the forwards and manage the bench properly, we will fade mid season because our forwards will be going flat out every game.

Mary needs to ensure our backs provide the least drag on the field. The more drag the more weight put on the shoulders of the forwards.

Crush

Coach
On last season's form, nobody doubts Dufty's talent in attack in broken play. It is other parts of his game that came into question. Now if he has built up his frame, gained confidence in defence and taking the high ball and improved his ability to go to ground when close to his try-line or touch-line, then he should be in the mix to play fullback.
Attack in broken play isn't Dufty's only strength. He is excellent in chiming into backline plays close to the line. He has great vision and can put the ball on the centre or wingers chest to put them in for a try. Because he has speed and elusiveness he attracts defense and creates overlaps.
He isn't a one trick pony as many suggest he is.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Attack in broken play isn't Dufty's only strength. He is excellent in chiming into backline plays close to the line. He has great vision and can put the ball on the centre or wingers chest to put them in for a try. Because he has speed and elusiveness he attracts defense and creates overlaps.
He isn't a one trick pony as many suggest he is.

14 games last season vs the Top 8 teams
Tries - 4 (2 in one game vs depleted sharks)
Line Breaks - 6 (3 in one game vs depleted sharks)
Try Assists - 3

He is ineffective against the good teams .. we need better.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Surely our brittle right edge defence and our compress defensive structure is common knowledge to all NRL clubs. We just don't have a chance if our right edge is Host, Hunt and Aitken.
Try Assists - 3

Semi final broncos first play of the game Dufty puts Periera over in the corner .Unfortunately Periera puts his foot into touch, not Dufty's fault. Later in same game to lafai .TRY. put on your glasses mate next game you watch

RufusRex

Post Whore
Lol - you are watching and rating the games he did something positive - I am looking at the ones where he didn’t.

You didn’t get to watch as many games as me

That was one of his 3 try assists against top 8 teams .. there were 2 more in 13 games but apparently he is great at putting the ball on our centre/wingers chest for a try

Robson has more upside as a bench utility ..

True_Believer

Juniors
Try Assists - 3

James Tedesco
13 games against top 8 teams

Tries - 5
Line Breaks - 7
Try Assists - 3

He's also ineffective against the good teams and Roosters could do better.

RufusRex

Post Whore
James Tedesco
13 games against top 8 teams

Tries - 5
Line Breaks - 7
Try Assists - 3

He's also ineffective against the good teams and Roosters could do better.

Did he get a game like the sharks where half his results came against a team losing 3 of their best forwards?

That shaks game flatters him ... the other 13 games are 2 tries/3 line breaks which compared to Tedesco is trash.

watatank

Coach
Try Assists - 3

any stats on runs, run metres and tackle breaks?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Lol - you are watching and rating the games he did something positive - I am looking at the ones where he didn’t.

You didn’t get to watch as many games as me

That was one of his 3 try assists against top 8 teams .. there were 2 more in 13 games but apparently he is great at putting the ball on our centre/wingers chest for a try

Robson has more upside as a bench utility ..
YOU made the comment about top teams REX. Spec savers seems appropriate ... . ........and I'm the first to say MATT needs to improve his takes ,his defence, and his kick returns. But as far as attack and his putting guys into a hole he's very good .. ..

True_Believer

Juniors
Did he get a game like the sharks where half his results came against a team losing 3 of their best forwards?

That shaks game flatters him ... the other 13 games are 2 tries/3 line breaks which compared to Tedesco is trash.

Lol. No, but a fair few of those stats came against us which I’m sure you’ll agree is nothing to brag about.

Doesn’t matter where or how they came, both fullbacks performed equally against top 8 sides. Much like possm, you’re willing to make allowances elsewhere but not for the team you support.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Lol. No, but a fair few of those stats came against us which I’m sure you’ll agree is nothing to brag about.

Doesn’t matter where or how they came, both fullbacks performed equally against top 8 sides. Much like possm, you’re willing to make allowances elsewhere but not for the team you support.

No I am saying that Dufty is not the attacking weapon that he is hyped to be .. Our attack for 20mintes a game would improve drastically with Robson not Dufty and have the benefit of spelling Mcinnes increasing his effectiveness too.

Mary is blinkered and pulling the absolute wrong reign.

Dufty should be back int he reggies working on tackling their big blokes head on, catching the ball on the full and getting into the right positions defensively. This will help for 2020 when he is back in the 1.

True_Believer

Juniors
No I am saying that Dufty is not the attacking weapon that he is hyped to be .. Our attack for 20mintes a game would improve drastically with Robson not Dufty and have the benefit of spelling Mcinnes increasing his effectiveness too.

Dufty should be back int he reggies working on tackling their big blokes head on, catching the ball on the full and getting into the right positions defensively. This will help for 2020 when he is back in the 1.

Ok - I understand where you are coming from. However, I don’t believe all of those things are an issue all of the time. It’s more about consistency than anything else. He’s shown to have those capabilities, he’s just not currently capable of maintaining them across the season.

Many point to the Canterbury game as a prime example of his limitations. He himself has stated that he wasn’t prepared for the length of the season and he was running on tired legs towards the end of it. I think those final games were more about fatigue than actual inability.

Crush

Coach
Try Assists - 3

What about his stats against the bottom 8 teams?
Would you mind posting those too?
Because if my memory serves me correctly he was instrumental in getting the 2 points on a number of occasions against the bottom 8 teams and without him playing those games the dragons wouldn't have played finals.

Crush

Coach

I completely agree that Robson is the better option off the bench, Dufty shouldn't be on the bench, he should start at fullback or play reserve grade.