1. Round 5 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 5 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for is out now!

This week it's Penrith v Canberra so we look at the competition leaders with second rower Kurt Capewell, while we also share the story of the birth of the Glebe Dirty Reds, and as always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 5 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 1 v Sharks

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Dragonslayer, Mar 2, 2021.

1. thebigredv

thebigredv Bench

We are so used it that is just a given these days.

2. goldiesaintz

goldiesaintz Juniors

Thanks gents ..................... l live a sheltered life up here on the Coast.
    You know colour tv only came in last summer!

blacksafake, ALSGI, redv13 and 2 others like this.
  3. Eatons Hill Dragon

Eatons Hill Dragon Juniors

going back I think Marty Prior tried this tactic against Thurston one game :grin:

4. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

The dropped balls are our biggest concern, in every trial 6 again aside most of problems stemmed from a high error count. I would like to see us completely simplify our attack until we get in the red zone for now until we get our combos down.

5. kit66

kit66 Juniors

Poor defence and errors cost us any hope against the Bunnies. It resulted in them completing 15sets more than us not including the 6agains, that's massive. It would be hard to imagine us playing a worse game this year. Even so we still made 9 line breaks - many in the first half - scored 3 tries and bombed a couple more. I think we can put in a good showing next week. On paper us and the Sharkies are pretty evenly matched all things considered but Dufty's input will be the difference.

Saints by 8.

It's the second rowers and the hookers job to put pressure on the kickers and / or half back, if they're not then something's wrong.

6. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

No they are props leave them in the middle. If you want to experiment that is for the trials too late now. Ford or Tariq and Fuimaono or the bloke from Roosters although thought he was a prop.

blacksafake likes this.
  7. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

There's a name we should have enticed Matt Prior home he would still be good as a prop.

8. Nich

Nich Juniors

He would be a solid pick up. He is back living in the Northern Illawarra at the moment and I saw him at Austinmer pool the other day looking fit.

9. St Tangles

St Tangles Juniors

My comment was in response to suggesting Kerr remain in the backrow.
    I was suggesting if they are going to do that you might aswell try Vaughan.
    We currently only have 1 backrower of 1st grade standard in Sims and his form is questionable.

10. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

But why weaken one position especially when we need them in the guts. If we can't get the blokes I mentioned to fill the gaps in the edge we are well and truly screwed. Hooks will work out what we have and what we need this year. JDB will be back see how he goes.

11. St Tangles

St Tangles Juniors

Possibly re read my post it was if he was choosing to play Kerr in the second row I think Vaughan would be a better option due to his better lateral movement not that's what I would do.

Have a nice day

12. kit66

kit66 Juniors

I'd like to see Sullivan get a shot but I think Griffin will go with Clune for his consistency and defence.
    Lawrie's work rate in defence should see him get the 13 jersey - he was often 2nd for tackles after Cam last year ( 3rd when Hunt played 9 and Cam 13 ).

13. possm

possm Coach

I'd rather the following team for round 1:

Prop rotation
    Vaughan
    Kerr

Lock
    Lawrie

Edge Forwards
    Sims
    Ford

Hookers
    McCullough
    Wishart

Fullback
    Dufty

Wingers
    JP
    Ramsey

Centres
    Lomax
    Bird

Halves
    B. Hunt (c)
    Sullivan

Bench
    Ravalawa
    Alvaro
    Faamausili
    Hunt

blacksafake and Slippery Morris like this.
  14. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

Pretty good side...Rava adds little value from the bench...would rather Sullivan on the bench with Hunt and Clune starting...Rava to replace J.P...

Mjab, blacksafake, Gareth67 and 2 others like this.
  15. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

I reckon Sullivan will play 6 round 1 with Clune at 14. I don't think Macca is ready for 80 yet. Round 2 will be back to Norman/Hunt but lets hope Sullivan really kills it and makes that decision hard.

16. possm

possm Coach

I'd really like to see Ravalawa spend a little time on the right edge in place of Kerr.

We need our best props in the middle mainly because this is our biggest weakness. Give Ford and Ravalawa the task of puting all their aggression into the right edge. Ravalawa can also cover a wing or centre position if injury occurs in the backline.

At this stage in our team development, I feel we need big bodies on the bench.

17. Crush

Crush First Grade

Dufty always plays well against the Sharks, I reckon he'll be trying to impress in this game too!

kit66 and goldiesaintz like this.
  18. goldiesaintz

goldiesaintz Juniors

That's impressive!
    I'll be impressed if Dufty makes an impression to impress cause l'm not easily impressed.
    Ok, sorry, l'm going now ..........:)

This Year? and Banjo2014 like this.
  19. Crush

Crush First Grade

Drinking mid week?
    :wink:

20. 2218

2218 Juniors

I reckon due to our forward pack lacking punch we can’t afford to move rava away from the wing