What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Vs The Roosters

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
He hasn’t trialled. Likely starts on the bench so yes would be with the non starters

Mate, your straw clutching. Todays photos look to me like an opposed session.

We all will be waiting until 4pm Tuesday next week to know whose a chance for the team.

Claiming to know 'for sure' who's in and who's out is just plain silly.

franklin2323

Immortal
Mate, your straw clutching. Todays photos look to me like an opposed session.

We all will be waiting until 4pm Tuesday next week to know whose a chance for the team.

Claiming to know 'for sure' who's in and who's out is just plain silly.

I merely answered your question. Those in Green bibs would be NSW Cup/Bench

you don’t think they would do the likely side when doing ball work?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I merely answered your question. Those in Green bibs would be NSW Cup/Bench

you don’t think they would do the likely side when doing ball work?

Yep I agree. The original statement with the photo said 'the green bibs were the left right out crew'.

We as plebs know little about the make up of the team. Yep the're are players in the squad who are walk up starters in the team. (those players are known)

But to make a claim that player X or Y is in the team at a particular position (over a week out from the game) to me seems a little out there.

Yep it's fun to speculate.

I know from watching the game for many decades. At times there are suprises.

I will wait to 1 hour before kick off before claiming to know the make up of the team.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep I agree. The original statement with the photo said 'the green bibs were the left right out crew'.

We as plebs know little about the make up of the team. Yep the're are players in the squad who are walk up starters in the team. (those players are known)

But to make a claim that player X or Y is in the team at a particular position (over a week out from the game) to me seems a little out there.

Yep it's fun to speculate.

I know from watching the game for many decades. At times there are suprises.

I will wait to 1 hour before kick off before claiming to know the make up of the team.

300 odd games of Ivan has shown him to be cautious probably too cautious. As a result the side picks itself

MugaB

Coach
This Just in, MugaB's picks for Round 1
1.Aekins.
2.Naden.
3.Whare.
4.Crichton.
5.To'o.
6.Luai.
7.Cleary.
8.Tamou.
9.Koroisau.
10.Tetevano.
11.Kikau.
12.Capewell.
13.Yeo.

14.Burton.
15.Fisher-Harris.
16.Leota.
17.Martin.

18.Burns. for last minute injuries

Thats my prediction, Ivan would reward Crichton, and most probably drop Mansour, and push Naden to the wing, and as predicted Luai will shift to dummy half, at the 50min mark to give Api a rest, leaving Burton to cover 5/8th for a 15min spell, JFH will need to ease back into the side coming off the pectoral injury late last year but is certain to play.
You heard it first here folks

OldPanther

Coach
From my perspective we pay over $2 million dollars a season on a coaching team who are involved with the playing group day in day out. They are far better placed to make decisions around our best 17 as opposed to the keyboard warriors on here myself included. I’m happy to put my faith in which ever way coach Cleary goes. I didn’t want him back as coach but he is the coach so happy to run with what he sees as our best 17.

My thoughts exactly.

There was a comment on this forum some days ago where the poster stated 'I watch more games on the weekend than the coach does, so my ideas are more valid.'

I hope the person in question was joking. :eek:

I did reply in a 'joking manner'.

The coach and staffs are paid big bucks to make the right decisions, they see the players day in day out. They have computers which measure all types of things about their training.

Coaching staffs know a heck of a lot more than I do about which player is best suited to a particular position.

(I know it's fun to speculate, but to believe you know more as a neville nobody than the combined wisdom of the coaching group......well I have a bridge you might like to buy.'

I hope I haven't offended our Lord and saviour Ivan the conqueror, Bane of Wests Tigers, winner of less than 50% of games, father of chins, king of Penrith and country NSW, first of his name.

Seriously though working in the NRL is more who you know not what you know just ask dragons fans or even look our own coach. His personal friend poached him while he was contracted to another club.

I also love how my left right out joke got taken so seriously. Looks like fish is being eased back and Burton likely starts on the bench to cover 6 and Luai will move to 9 if Api needs cover while May is out.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
1.Aekins.
2.Naden.
3.Whare.
4.Crichton.
5.To'o.
6.Luai.
7.Cleary.
8.Tamou.
9.Koroisau.
10.Tetevano.
11.Kikau.
12.Capewell.
13.Yeo.

14.Burton.
15.Fisher-Harris.
16.Leota.
17.Martin.

Thats my prediction, Ivan would reward Crichton, and most probably drop Mansour, and push Naden to the wing, and as predicted Luai will shift to dummy half, at the 50min mark to give Api a rest, leaving Burton to cover 5/8th for a 15min spell, JFH will need to ease back into the side coming off the pectoral injury late last year but is certain to play.
I like it. But Ivan hasnt considered Nado anywhere other than centre and he's looking like he will be first picked.

Looks spot on otherwise. But that's how I would run. Well I might swap Luai and Burton around.

OldPanther

Coach
1.Aekins.
2.Naden.
3.Whare.
4.Crichton.
5.To'o.
6.Luai.
7.Cleary.
8.Tamou.
9.Koroisau.
10.Tetevano.
11.Kikau.
12.Capewell.
13.Yeo.

14.Burton.
15.Fisher-Harris.
16.Leota.
17.Martin.

I really like that. Gives us Crichton still and Whare can just be a defender and Naden to the wing is a big win.

franklin2323

Immortal
I hope I haven't offended our Lord and saviour Ivan the conqueror, Bane of Wests Tigers, winner of less than 50% of games, father of chins, king of Penrith and country NSW, first of his name.

Seriously though working in the NRL is more who you know not what you know just ask dragons fans or even look our own coach. His personal friend poached him while he was contracted to another club.

I also love how my left right out joke got taken so seriously. Looks like fish is being eased back and Burton likely starts on the bench to cover 6 and Luai will move to 9 if Api needs cover while May is out.

Exactly how it goes. Coaching is a cut throat business so you go with who you can trust not who should do a good job for you. It is just how it works

I think Fish will get named in the 8 and then Ivan does that thing he thinks fools everyone. Switching the bench around

OldPanther

Coach
Exactly how it goes. Coaching is a cut throat business so you go with who you can trust not who should do a good job for you. It is just how it works

I think Fish will get named in the 8 and then Ivan does that thing he thinks fools everyone. Switching the bench around

I don't know why so many coaches do that. It's not the epic mind games they think it is.

age.s

First Grade
Kilkenny's take on Naden is basically the same as mine. That said he had a barnstorming game in the first trial and I think you have to reward that. I'd have him in over Whare.

Can't believe it's only a week away. Pumped.

MugaB

Coach
Kilkenny's take on Naden is basically the same as mine. That said he had a barnstorming game in the first trial and I think you have to reward that. I'd have him in over Whare.

Can't believe it's only a week away. Pumped.
I wouldnt trade either whare or naden, they both should play, 1st trial was up against an inexperienced tigers outfit, 2nd trial was a close to 1st grade parramatta, atleast for the 1st half, and Whare defended well, and set up To'o a bunch of times, Not to mention taking out a key play maker in dylan brown. I'd say Naden played well against the tigers, But Whare did his role better against parra.
Crichton deserves a 1st grade spot, and Mansour didn't stack up compared to those 3. All 3 of them should be in the backline, and its safer to have a rookie centre in Crichton than have him at wing, and have a somewhat experienced outside back beside him in Naden

Flashstep

Juniors
Wouldn't happen but my round 1 team would be:

1. Burton
2. To'o
3. Chrichton
4. Whare
5. Naden
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Tamou
9. Api
10. JFH
11. Kikau
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Capewell
15. Tetevano
16. Leota
17. Burns

My line of thinking for Burton at fullback is that it is obviously a risk especially defensively, but like a lot of people here I am on the Burton train I think the kid has serious potential. I think he would be able to handle fullback quite well and I think if he can outperform Luai playing out of position I say he deserves to be starting 5/8 once Edwards returns. It's also possible both Luai and Burton play really well and having both players on the field at the same time could be the spark in attack we desperately need going forward, it can take pressure off Cleary and Burton turning into a good fullback gives us a ball player which is something a lot of us desperately want. Obviously it's a big risk but in our situation I think it could reap great reward.

GongPanther

Referee
With all this talk it's obvious that the team is going to need a few weeks to find it's feet before it can power ahead. Like I've stated in the site's main game forum, I'm opting for an 8 point loss to the Roosters. And if it's only by that much, I'd call it a half-loss.

John Hamblin

Juniors
With all this talk it's obvious that the team is going to need a few weeks to find it's feet before it can power ahead. Like I've stated in the site's main game forum, I'm opting for an 8 point loss to the Roosters. And if it's only by that much, I'd call it a half-loss.

Show some confidence we beat them the last time we played. I am very confident that our defence will be much better this season. Our attack with Korisau at hooker looks a lot sharper, A big home crowd and a little luck we will give it a genuine shake!!

franklin2323

Immortal

A few weeks for changes to happen

GongPanther

Referee
Show some confidence we beat them the last time we played. I am very confident that our defence will be much better this season. Our attack with Korisau at hooker looks a lot sharper, A big home crowd and a little luck we will give it a genuine shake!!
We are notorious slow starters. If we won our first 3, it would shake the comp to the point that the TAB would have us as $1.01 for the comp.

Until we shake these historical bad starts, there is no reason to go the other way. Even the TAB for this game has the Roosters $1.40 V Panthers $3.00. As a rule of thumb, the weight of money is far too much.

GongPanther

Referee
A few weeks for changes to happen
Yea...maybe a few tweaks here and there. But we also have to be mindful that this first 5 weeks of the comp is going to be more than challenging for our squad. A couple of losses in that time won't seriously affect us, providing our players come through relatively unscathed.

Panfa

Juniors
We can't make t'oo many changes against chooks they will want to start the season with a win as they try and go for a 3 peat.We need experience it's gonna be a grinding game not much in it.The team will most likely be aekins mansour whare naden t'oo luai Cleary Martin kikau yeo tamou koroisau tetevano leota capewell Fisher Harris Burton

Latest posts