What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs Warriors

Illusion

Bench
I agree
With some of the go forward we had I expected a lot more from Hunt

He tended to be flat footed and just shovel the ball off to others.

He had one good crack and almost scored and that was about it in attack

Did make some critical tackles
It was like he didn't know what he should do with the forwards getting over the advantage line pass or run ...... Anyway they got there and hope that was Bens not so good game out of the way .......

denis preston

First Grade
There were only a few times I noticed the ref/video ref in the game. The first was the no penalty to Lawrie for the shoulder to the face after the video review. The second was the charge down with Curran in front of the bloke who charged it down. The third was the video ref finally remembering the rules about contact to the head and awarding a penalty against Sloan for a try saving tackle. Probably a fourth but he never blew a penalty for Jazz being offside at every play the ball.
Wasn't it Lawrie who shouted out to a player "I've lost respect for you " for staying down for a penalty last year ?

since77

Juniors
I thought Sua was fantastic - my man of the match. Rava is an immovable object - he scores tries not many other wingers would get. Ramsey was very good. Sloan is very busy and very classy and I’m sure he’ll learn from the brain snap that gifted the Warriors a try. He’s a massive upgrade on Dufty. Suli also a huge improvement over the centre options we had last year, he looked threatening all night.
Would like to see a more confident Amone next game, he was very subservient to Hunt last night.
Lots to improve upon of course but an ugly win in round one will do for now.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hunt has a lot on his shoulders, apart from being captain he's virtually carrying the spine until the young blokes settle in and McC either improves or is replaced. He's also had to take on most of the kicking responsibilities. Norman was a dud but Hunt will miss his kicking game. I hope the coaches are working hard with Bud and Amone on developing their kicking real fast because it was one of the areas we could have done better in today.
McC was very disappointing today but I think it may have been just an off game, his tackle count was way down and his awareness was down too, maybe he got a knock early. One run for 1 metre ? Something was off. Mbye ( or later Bud ) coming on to give McC a break will become the norm. Logically though you need an 80 minute hooker, save the bench spots for others.
Hopefully it was just one of those days for McC but if he continues in the next 2-3 weeks like he did last night then we need a proper full-time hooker to replace him and ensure the bench has the players that are the best. Mbye and Sullivan I would prefer not to use - Mbye is too valuable as a utility bench player. Sullivan should be the half so I'm leaning towards Hunt moving to hooker full-time when Sullivan is fit. That would give us a greater spine in my opinion.

Dragon David

First Grade
I thought Sua was fantastic - my man of the match. Rava is an immovable object - he scores tries not many other wingers would get. Ramsey was very good. Sloan is very busy and very classy and I’m sure he’ll learn from the brain snap that gifted the Warriors a try. He’s a massive upgrade on Dufty. Suli also a huge improvement over the centre options we had last year, he looked threatening all night.
Would like to see a more confident Amone next game, he was very subservient to Hunt last night.
Lots to improve upon of course but an ugly win in round one will do for now.
Amone would be much better with Sullivan being the half back. Clune would have been great if we had him.

ALSGI

Bench
Hopefully it was just one of those days for McC but if he continues in the next 2-3 weeks like he did last night then we need a proper full-time hooker to replace him and ensure the bench has the players that are the best. Mbye and Sullivan I would prefer not to use - Mbye is too valuable as a utility bench player. Sullivan should be the half so I'm leaning towards Hunt moving to hooker full-time when Sullivan is fit. That would give us a greater spine in my opinion.
Agree.
There is an argument that you don't move our best half to another position but the fact is he is also be our best hooker and the team may be better served by Sullivan at half than AM at hooker.
MYBE at 14 looked great last night, fresh, quick, purposeful and dangerous. That’s where he needs to stay.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree.
There is an argument that you don't move our best half to another position but the fact is he is also be our best hooker and the team may be better served by Sullivan at half than AM at hooker.
MYBE at 14 looked great last night, fresh, quick, purposeful and dangerous. That’s where he needs to stay.
When we had McInnes as our fulltime hooker, he added spark in our attack besides being a great defender and he was able to kick strategically. Hunt is able to do these things so it makes sense to move Hunt to hooker once Sullivan has had a stint in reserves for some match fitness and the pairing of Sulli with Amone will be very classy. Sullivan has a kicking game and his combinations with Amone and Sloan we know work.

BLM01

First Grade
When we had McInnes as our fulltime hooker, he added spark in our attack besides being a great defender and he was able to kick strategically. Hunt is able to do these things so it makes sense to move Hunt to hooker once Sullivan has had a stint in reserves for some match fitness and the pairing of Sulli with Amone will be very classy. Sullivan has a kicking game and his combinations with Amone and Sloan we know work.
That is the future, but 3 rookies together in a NRL spine for this year in a full season wont work and will lead to an error-a-thon at this level.
Work towards that next year.
Defences will have a field day with those 3 so early.
Amone especially & Sloane are already well marked men

be55

Juniors
Wasn't it Lawrie who shouted out to a player "I've lost respect for you " for staying down for a penalty last year ?
FMD...You think he stayed down just to get a penalty?

What...do you think the red on his lips after the tackle was just the shade of lipstick he chose for the game?

He was still spitting blood and clearing his head as they were taking him off. 🙄

Spazer

Juniors
Bird was very good again, I would be disappointed if we let him go honestly. He looks bigger and stronger this year and is doing a fine job on the left edge with suli.

Another thing I've noticed some players overrun/obstruct amone whenever he gets into the sharp step causing him to stop and surrender, Kerr yesterday and I think it was sloan in the trials. Something we need to work on if we want to unlock amone's potential, keep the support play but give junior more space on the inside.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
BLM01 wrote:
Kerr was good when he got on in the middle, a step forward today I thought.

I have read all the comments in this thread and this was the only one to mention Kerr. This surprised me because before the game so many posts pointed to Josh as a weak link. He was certainly not a weak link yesterday. He always runs straight but yesterday I thought he was running harder and more often. I admit to a bias - I have met him a few times and he's a good, humble, likeable guy to chat to. I have felt for some time that his "niceness" has been a problem, a lack of aggression in his game, but also a lack of involvement. Perhaps he was better yesterday because there is now more talent around him. Perhaps too he was told not to concern himself with offloads.

BBTB

Juniors
BLM01 wrote:

I have read all the comments in this thread and this was the only one to mention Kerr. This surprised me because before the game so many posts pointed to Josh as a weak link. He was certainly not a weak link yesterday. He always runs straight but yesterday I thought he was running harder and more often. I admit to a bias - I have met him a few times and he's a good, humble, likeable guy to chat to. I have felt for some time that his "niceness" has been a problem, a lack of aggression in his game, but also a lack of involvement. Perhaps he was better yesterday because there is now more talent around him. Perhaps too he was told not to concern himself with offloads.
Yes,I think Kerr, makes for a mediocre reserve grader.

Old Timer

Coach
Take aways from Rd .

Team spirit, camaraderie & commitment looked fabulous.

We won with our 1 & 9 having less than their average best games and despite falling into the doldrums for a few minutes here and there i.e "we found a way"

We won despite the very obvious poor quality refereeing that favoured the Warriors style of lazy and disruptive play.

We scored 5 tries so obviously that is a big plus and some enterprising plays that showcase the difference in style and game plans from previous years.

They scored 3 tries 1 from our own stupidity and 1 from an intentional forward pass that should have been penalised.

All the new recruits had good games with some evidence of their best plays which is something to look forward to and of course there are some things to work on re combinations etc which is totally understandable.

Our previously highly vulnerable right side defence looked very solid.

Kerr was given a simple role and excelled at it.

Mybe has a lot of critics who might for the moment be just be a little less critical.

In all a good 1st up win with plenty more positives than negatives.

since77

Juniors
BLM01 wrote:

Kerr was better last night but based on his form over the last few years he’s not in my top 17 when all are fit and available for selection. I think he needs a change of scenery. If I was him I‘d be talking to Uncle Wayne in Redcliffe or Bellamy in Melbourne. I think he needs a re-boot.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Judging by some of the comments I'm glad we won, I can only imagine what a loss would have produced.
After last year's end to the season, this year 2 trial wins and a scrappy 1st round, I'll take that every day.
My observation title contenders Rorters and South's , poor trial form and first up loss, wooden spoon contenders Dragons 3 from 3. Of course we can get better but 2 points is 2 points no matter how you get them.

Dragon David

First Grade
Judging by some of the comments I'm glad we won, I can only imagine what a loss would have produced.
After last year's end to the season, this year 2 trial wins and a scrappy 1st round, I'll take that every day.
My observation title contenders Rorters and South's , poor trial form and first up loss, wooden spoon contenders Dragons 3 from 3. Of course we can get better but 2 points is 2 points no matter how you get them.

....and we still have a lot of improvement and gelling with each other. There also appears to be a lot more belief and confidence in the individual player and these will help with their work ethic and anticipations. The more belief in themselves, the better the outcomes.

There were only a few times I noticed the ref/video ref in the game. The first was the no penalty to Lawrie for the shoulder to the face after the video review.
Yeah what the hell was that all about?That’s a penalty every other day.
Commentators were saying Lawrie fell into it. Kind of like Tedesco does all the time?

Rav or McGuire or Fui would get 6 weeks for that.

Latest posts