What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Who Wins and Why?

Nightstalker

Juniors
Tigers by 12
Knights by 16
Bulldogs by 14
Raiders by 8
Storm by 18 (why do I get the feeling though this may be an upset?)
Cowboys by 6
Rabbitohs by 4 (Yes I am tipping an upset here)

dannyboy

Juniors
Dragons by 18
Knights by 16
Bulldogs by 12
Eagles by 14
Storm by 4
Broncos by 26
Roosters by 40+

Danish

Referee
Tigers Vs Dragons

Dragons have lost both trials and not only that, have conceded a massive amount of penalties in both games. If those trials had been the season proper i've no doubt someone would have been sinbined.

So with that, tigers will get plenty of attacking chances and have the game wrapped up by half time.

Tigers 13+

Knights Vs Eels

My head says the Eels but the Knights backline is looking very interesting this year and if Carney is up to scratch along with Johns the Eels could be in for a surprise.

Knights 1-12.

Bulldogs Vs Panthers

Bulldogs have a new halves combo including a practical rookie. on top of that Gower has been absolutely carving up in the trials and appears to be fighting to get that captaincy back. The dogs have the edge in the forwards but without a solid backline they wont be able to take advantage of any field position they get.

Panthers 1-12

Sea Eagles Vs Raiders

This one is should be dead simple. Orford, Bell, Menzies, Kennedy. More than enough to see a comfortable win over the raiders. But with the raiders its never a comfortable win so it will no doubt be decided in the final 10 mins

Sea Eagles 1-12

Warriors have something to prove. But they had something to prove last season and the season before that and fell over in a heap. On top of that Cooper Cronc is shaping up great at halfback. Warriors will hold on till half time then the storm will run over the top of them.

Storm 13+

Broncos Vs Cowboys

The local derby between 2 teams 1000kms apart :D. Broncos always dominate the first half of the season. Broncos have the wood over the cowboys winning their last couple encounters. Thurston and lockyer going head to head. Toss of a coin gives it to the Broncos

Broncos 1-12

Rabbitohs Vs Roosters

About the most hate-riddled rivalry in the NRL. Rabbits won their first match over easts in 10 years. All their fans will assume its going to happen again. But with Souths best player now donning the Roosters No.13 its going to be all Easts by a cricket score

Roosters 13+

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
1999 said:
1 thing i'll assure you fella's of, melbourne by plenty, if we lose you boys can roast me til the cows come home...

Last year nobody beat the Warriors by plenty and it can't see it starting now when thy're pissed off with plenty to prove. The Storm could win but it won't be by much.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Nightstalker said:
Tigers by 12
Knights by 16
Bulldogs by 14
Raiders by 8
Storm by 18 (why do I get the feeling though this may be an upset?)
Cowboys by 6
Rabbitohs by 4 (Yes I am tipping an upset here)

Warriors are actually favourites for this match. The Storm are paying $2.20 or $2.05 somewhere in that area so those who are assured of a Storm victory probably won't get better odds than that for round 1.

Juniors
IanRitchie said:
Ah, that dopey arsed thread you started makes more sense now.

which one was that, the one that stated that you commited pretty much the same infringment as the bulldogs but copped a lesser fine, and im not just talking about the points deduction, why were they stung $1 million in fines and you only 400,000, oh thats right coz you're kiwis and you must have got the exchange rate mixed up, not to mention you's would proberbly go broke if they fined you another million, maybe if it wasnt in wiki and prices accounts you guys could afford it. Honestly, u think thats just and fair? the only reason it was 4 and not 37 is because gallop doesnt want to lose the NZ contingent in the NRL, if it was me i wouldnt really care, same fine for same crime, no big loss anyway, a team of spastics who are in an australian national comp from another country, pull your head out of your arse mate, melbourne by plenty ;-)

P.S i'm wondering how much was thrown at stacey to keep him there aslong as he was...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
This coming from a supporter of a team that has been flouting the cap for years.

Melbourne wouldn't be much of a loss on the NRL either. It wouldn't hurt nearly as much at losing the Warriors who rake in a lot of money for the NRL with a Sky TV deal and further interest in the NRL in New Zealand.

What has the Storm to offer?

By the way, how many points would you have lost if you'd kept Orford?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Oh yeah, and Melbourne should win by plenty.

But i still remember 2004 when they really should have won by 20 in Auckland and self destructed.

Stranger

Coach
Tigers Vs Dragons - Tigers by 10. Dragons just slow starters, and tigers still have alot to prove.
Knights Vs Eels - Knights by 16. Joey to come out fireing, Knights with alot to show and prove.
Bulldogs Vs Panthers - Bulldogs by 12. The Elliott-Lang saga to inflict heavily on Penneys this year
Sea Eagles Vs Raiders - Eagles by 24. Just to classy for Canberra, although Raiders could supprise.
Warriors Vs Storm - Storm by 8 - Classy attacking style, and always seem to start deacent.
Broncos Vs Cowboys - Broncs by 8 - Good start for the broncs, flexing their muscles early, with a deacent start.
Rabbitohs Vs Roosters - Roosters by 6 - They're attack is just to strong for the bunnies.

borat

Bench
Tigers Vs Dragons - Dragons by 8. Benji just coming back and the premiers factor will come against them.
Knights Vs Eels - Eels by 14. Knights still have a long way to go against a strong performer like the eels
Bulldogs Vs Panthers - Panthers by 10. Bulldogs will take sometime to adjust to new halves combo.
Sea Eagles Vs Raiders - Eagles by 16. Raiders are strong starters but the eagles will be to strong
Warriors Vs Storm - Storm by 20 - Disruptive start to the season will hurt the warriors.
Broncos Vs Cowboys - Cowboys 8 - Cowboys will be a clss act this year.
Rabbitohs Vs Roosters - Roosters by 6 - This will be a very close match.

lotti

Bench
Dragons by 10, their off the field turmoil won't hamper them plus the Tigers didn't play that well in the off season so they'll have a slow start to 2006
Knights by 10- anyone but the Eels
Panthers- the doggies don't have much of a hope this year plus there's the Gower factor
Sea Eagles by hmm by at least 35, a number of factors it's at Fort Brookvale, Manly's new recruits including Bell and Orford, they've got Monaghan, Kennedy, Menzies, Watmough, Mattai to name a few plus Manly will be out to give Orford a welcome home party he won't forget plus it's their 60th year and you know how they celebrated year 50
Melbourne by 20, the Warriors have had some off the field turmoil so moral is down and Melbourne have something to prove, they don't need Orford, Bell, Kearns and Chan to win games they've also got 3 players that will come out red hot in Billy Slater, Greg inglis and Cooper Cronk the secret weapon that Melbourne have been hiding since he joined the club
Cowboys by 2 - it should be a close game but the Cowboys should get up(plus they're the local team I have to tip them)
Bunnies by 10 - the Bunnies might be under new ownership by the end of round 2 so they'll want to show them that they'll have a sound investment but of course they don't need to convince Russell Crowe of that he's a fan of the club which is one of the reasons he wants to buy the club.

Eddie.

Bench
Paullyboy said:
Saints by 8 - Dragons have just too much class, Tigers will be shown up here now that the adrenalin of finals football has passed

quote]

Im not having a shot at you for tipping the Saints but too much class??

Hodgson > Greenshields
Marshall > Barrett
Prince > Hornby
Farah > Young

Saints fans will argue for Barrett and thats fair enough. Saints have us in the centres and the forwards but our boys held their opwn their last season and left it up to 1,6,7,9 to cause havoc.

The adrenalin of finals football??

I suppose we could also be charged with having the adrenalin of Rounds 14-26. If there is such a thing. Where i think we won about 6 or 7 games by more then 13 points. Make no mistake, our form was as good in the second half of the competition as the finals.

I just don't know why everyone has this belief that the Saints have more class across the park. Thier 2 finals performances last season were painfully average. I do not think they are the complete team everyone makes out

lotti

Bench
Eddie. said:
Paullyboy said:
Saints by 8 - Dragons have just too much class, Tigers will be shown up here now that the adrenalin of finals football has passed

quote]

Hodgson > Greenshields
Marshall > Barrett
Prince > Hornby
Farah > Young

Saints fans will argue for Barrett and thats fair enough. Saints have us in the centres and the forwards but our boys held their opwn their last season and left it up to 1,6,7,9 to cause havoc.

I suppose we could also be charged with having the adrenalin of Rounds 14-26. If there is such a thing. Where i think we won about 6 or 7 games by more then 13 points. Make no mistake, our form was as good in the second half of the competition as the finals.

I just don't know why everyone has this belief that the Saints have more class across the park. Thier 2 finals performances last season were painfully average. I do not think they are the complete team everyone makes out
Yeah but your performance in the Manly and Bradford games didn't look like the reigning NRL premiers the Tigers got thrashed by both teams witht he Bradford game I guess you can blame jet lag but the Manly one sorry no excuse.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Eddie. said:
Paullyboy said:

quote]

Hodgson > Greenshields
Marshall > Barrett
Prince > Hornby
Farah > Young

I hate the Dragons and even i can see you are very wrong.
Marshall = Barret
Young>Farah
Hornby>>>>Prince

Eddie.

Bench
Harold Bishop said:
I hate the Dragons and even i can see you are very wrong.
Marshall = Barret
Young>Farah
Hornby>>>>Prince

I said the Marshall one was debatable. I think if you put it to most league fans though Benji would come out on top. As for Dean Young being a better rake then Rob farah... LMFAO

Ben Hornby filled in admirably for Head. Prince has played for OZ and QLD as a halfback. Please...

I suppose Greenshileds has the edge on Hodgson..