What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1

kit66

Bench
Pretty similar to the WCC team TBH...was skeptical about playing Aitken because I still think he needs a bit of time in NSW Cup to get used to playing above NYC, but if he goes well then great. Mata'utia definitely to left centre though. Forwards are a bit tricky, however.

Dugan
Nabuli
Mata'utia
Farrel/Aitken
Nightingale
Widdop
Marshall
Ah Mau
Le'Strange
Creagh
Thompson
Frizzell
DeBelin

Merrin
O'Brien
Cooper/Rose
Garvey/Crook/Hutchison

Merrin comes on after 20 and plays the rest of the game, a la James Graham circa 2012. Thompson and Friz can play 80mins, but at a stretch there are plenty who can fill in on the edge for injury. Rein has had 2 years uncontested and failed to lift his game to the next level, needs a kick up the bum and a trip to NSW Cup acheives this, as well as giving the youngsters much needed exposure to top grade.

Since you just had a little giggle at the team I picked, I thought I'd check out your effort. Mate you can't be serious. Do you want us to lose. Did you miss 2014 ? I'm surprised you didn't make JDB a starting prop with Creagh.

BennyV

Referee
Since you just had a little giggle at the team I picked, I thought I'd check out your effort. Mate you can't be serious. Do you want us to lose. Did you miss 2014 ? I'm surprised you didn't make JDB a starting prop with Creagh.

Thompson is an edge player. Creagh is a middle player. If you watched football in 2014 you would know that - although it helps to have some knowledge about Rugby League! DeBelin is a lock and based on his impact in defense, his offloading (set up 2 line breaks today) and his positioning as first receiver, he should start there. Farrell didnt really play 2014, didnt disgrace himself today but at this point I'd prob look to Aitken.

Based on last years form, Rein didnt deserve a spot. He made me eat my words today, so would give him the start based on that. I still think he needs a spell either side of halftime, so Le'strange should be looked at, although I still want to see some of the youngsters get a jump off the bench during the season. Would also need to find a spot for Marketo, based on trial form.

7Seven7

Juniors
Thompson had a good game. About time. Same with Rein... finally.
JDB, either lock, second row or prop, needs to pick it up. And soon. All the promises have come to naught.

O'Brien needs to learn the trade... he was dominated big time.
I think this will be Creaghs last year. Great Captain and club man, but he looked busted.

If we cant remedy the 3 and 4 spot, plus add some grunt up front, top 8 is delusional.
Without an ex Tiger and ex Stormer, we lose by a long shot.

Tough year ahead... Very

Cagey Mac

Bench
The Dugan
Nabuli
Aitken
Mata'utia
Widdop
Marshall
Au Mau
Rein
Cooper
Thompson
Frizell
Creagh
Merrin
Rose
O'Brien
Marketo

Sub De Belin for O'Brien if you like but size matters and failed to clearly define that he's the better option

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
My heart won't be broken if Farrell and/or Neilsen aren't picked ahead of the young blokes. I just can't see McGregor doing it. I can't see him adjusting the combos on both sides. We'll see.

kit66

Bench
Thompson is an edge player. Creagh is a middle player. If you watched football in 2014 you would know that - although it helps to have some knowledge about Rugby League! DeBelin is a lock and based on his impact in defense, his offloading (set up 2 line breaks today) and his positioning as first receiver, he should start there. Farrell didnt really play 2014, didnt disgrace himself today but at this point I'd prob look to Aitken.

Based on last years form, Rein didnt deserve a spot. He made me eat my words today, so would give him the start based on that. I still think he needs a spell either side of halftime, so Le'strange should be looked at, although I still want to see some of the youngsters get a jump off the bench during the season. Would also need to find a spot for Marketo, based on trial form.

Crikey, you're not much of a wank*r are ya mate, much.

I never suggested playing Thompson in the middle or Creagh out wide so I'm not sure what you're on about there.
DeBelin shouldn't start at lock or prop ever and I must have missed these two line breaks, I'll be sure to review the tape for those.
Rein is our hooker. I said he'd improve countless times and he has and with a decent pack will get even better.

BennyV

Referee
I never suggested playing Thompson in the middle or Creagh out wide so I'm not sure what you're on about there.
DeBelin shouldn't start at lock or prop ever and I must have missed these two line breaks, I'll be sure to review the tape for those.
Rein is our hooker. I said he'd improve countless times and he has and with a decent pack will get even better.

You've losted Creagh at 11 and Thompson (in place of Merrin) at 13. Again, for those who watch Rugby League, they would know those numbers correspond to second row (on the edge in the modern game) and lock (in the middle) respectively.
Check out the game again and let me know. Also pay attention to JDBs defense when he get onto the field.
I admitted Rein had improved and am happy to concede that. HoWever, his challenge will be doing it consistently. If he can play like that week in, week out, then I'll eat the humble pie I'm currently preparing.

Crikey, you're not much of a wank*r are ya mate, much

Yes, yes i am.

mickeylane

Bench
Round 1 team will be

Dugan
Nabuli
Aitken
Farell
Nighty

Widdup
Marshall

Merrin
Frizzell
Thompson
Creagh
Rein
Cooper

Rose
Ah Mau
Marketo
L Estrange

kit66

Bench
You've losted Creagh at 11 and Thompson (in place of Merrin) at 13. Again, for those who watch Rugby League, they would know those numbers correspond to second row (on the edge in the modern game) and lock (in the middle) respectively.
Check out the game again and let me know. Also pay attention to JDBs defense when he get onto the field.
I admitted Rein had improved and am happy to concede that. HoWever, his challenge will be doing it consistently. If he can play like that week in, week out, then I'll eat the humble pie I'm currently preparing.

Yes, yes i am.

Yes we all know where our forwards play thanks. Just because I changed my team and suggested starting with Merrin on the bench and Thompson on the field doesn't mean I expected them to play in each others positions - no-one would expect to see Thompson in the middle because he'd be a f*cking door mat.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the team picked for round 1, will it be closer to the team I picked ( yes with Creagh in 13 ) or the starting side you have, which is our smallest possible pack with an unfamiliar hooker and a bench that seems to be whoever your whimsy leans toward on any given day. Nice to see you've re-instated Rein as a possible contender as well though. You've managed to pick a pretty sh*t team really for someone who obviously thinks they know more about footy than anyone else.

BennyV

Referee
Yes we all know where our forwards play thanks. Just because I changed my team and suggested starting with Merrin on the bench and Thompson on the field doesn't mean I expected them to play in each others positions - no-one would expect to see Thompson in the middle because he'd be a f*cking door mat.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing the team picked for round 1, will it be closer to the team I picked ( yes with Creagh in 13 ) or the starting side you have, which is our smallest possible pack with an unfamiliar hooker and a bench that seems to be whoever your whimsy leans toward on any given day. Nice to see you've re-instated Rein as a possible contender as well though. You've managed to pick a pretty sh*t team really for someone who obviously thinks they know more about footy than anyone else.

There's a difference between the team named (likely the same as the WCS with different centres) and the team I think should start. I can admit that.

That being said, I think Creagh will be back at prop by end of season, as his running, defense and general leadership are far more effective at prop.

someone who obviously thinks they know more about footy than anyone else

Well thats not true at all, I never big noted my knowledge of football. I simply played yours down! There's a difference ;-)

kit66

Bench
Well thats not true at all, I never big noted my knowledge of football. I simply played yours down! There's a difference ;-)

Oh it's true, you are a condescending pr*ck. To start a reply to someones post with a "lol" and finish with " you silly boy" has more than a touch of superiority about it, not to mention winking f*cking emoticons fmd. Should just admit it like you did about being a wanker, first step to recovery and all.

If we go into games this year with Creagh, Frizell or DeBelin starting at prop it will be a backwards step and we'll continue on our losing way.

Dragon66

Juniors
After watching the CS and the WCC this is my take on Rd 1.

Most of the backline is straightforward but what to do in the forwards,which has been our standout weakness the past couple of years, even though the backs also had issues which are almost resolved for this season.

So here I go:

1. Dugan
2. Nabuli
3. Aiken
4. Mata-Utai / Farrell
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Marshall
8. O'Brian
9. Rein
10. AuMau
11. Frizzell
12. Thompson
13. Creagh

14. L'Estrange
15. Merrin
16. DeBelin
17. Rose

One thing we heard all last year was that we lacked size upfront, on this forum as well as the coaching staff.
Well we have addressed that and now we have to use them and hope they continue to improve as the season unfolds.
On form O'Brian and Rose deserve to be picked. Rein deserves,and wil,to start in Rd1.
I'm not sold on AhMau but he is a workhorse.
The bench picks itself, provides experience, variety and impact.

Makes no sense to start with the same pack that most believe could not compete with the top eight sides from last season.

In the backs most pick themselves but it is in the centres that is the issue. Do we go for size and experience or youth and flair. I think to not pick Aitken is to take a step backwards. Only with experience will he get better and only by playing FG will he get experience.
I thought Mata-Utai was great in the back end of the season last year, but so far Farrell has impressed me with his defence, and we know he can run the ball from his time at Souths. So either/or any of the three centres is OK with me.

Just following what Mary has been saying about the squad I think this team won't be far off the mark.

Last edited:

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

Most of the backline is straightforward but what to do in the forwards,which has been our standout weakness the past couple of years, even though the backs also had issues which are almost resolved for this season.

So here I go:

1. Dugan
2. Nabuli
3. Aiken
4. Mata-Utai / Farrell
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Marshall
8. O'Brian
9. Rein
10. AuMau
11. Frizzell
12. Thompson
13. Creagh

14. L'Estrange
15. Merrin
16. DeBelin
17. Rose

One thing we heard all last year was that we lacked size upfront, on this forum as well as the coaching staff.
Well we have addressed that and now we have to use them and hope they continue to improve as the season unfolds.
On form O'Brian and Rose deserve to be picked. Rein deserves,and wil,to start in Rd1.

Makes no sense to start with the same pack that most believe could not compete with the top eight sides from last season.

In the backs most pick themselves but it is in the centres that is the issue. Do we go for size and experience or youth and flair. I think to not pick Aitken is to take a step backwards. Only with experience will he get better and only by playing FG will he get experience.
I thought Mata-Utai was great in the back end of the season last year, but so far Farrell has impressed me with his defence, and we know he can run the ball from his time at Souths. So either/or any of the three centres is OK with me.

Just following what Mary has been saying about the squad I think this team won't be far off the mark.

I'd say that is the team he will pick and a good one at that. Marketo might be 18th man based on trial form.

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors

So here I go:

1. Dugan
2. Nabuli
3. Aiken
4. Mata-Utai / Farrell
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop
7. Marshall
8. O'Brian
9. Rein
10. AuMau
11. Frizzell
12. Thompson
13. Creagh

14. L'Estrange
15. Merrin
16. DeBelin
17. Rose

Yeah, I would like to see that team selected. I reckon it would do a good job too. My personal preference would be to start Ah Mau on the bench, put Creagh in the front row and De Belin at lock. But that is out of bias... Haha

BennyV

Referee
If we go into games this year with Creagh, Frizell or DeBelin starting at prop it will be a backwards step and we'll continue on our losing way.

Agree about Friz and DeBelin not starting (or otherwise playing) at prop, because that is not their position. Friz is an edge backrower and JDB is a lock. Creagh, however, played his best football last year in the 10 jumper and he plays like a prop - ie, he runs hard with the sole purpose of getting over the advantage line and getting a quick play-the-ball. He doesnt look to offload too much and he doesnt take on any ball playing. The ONLY advantage of having him at lock is that its synonymous with long minutes, but given the short, impact stints of Rose, Creagh can afford to be on for longer. Size alone isnt everything, Creagh is a leader who PLAYS big.

Oh it's true, you are a condescending pr*ck. To start a reply to someones post with a "lol" and finish with " you silly boy" has more than a touch of superiority about it, not to mention winking f*cking emoticons fmd. Should just admit it like you did about being a wanker, first step to recovery and all.

Guilty as charged. Although 'first step to recovery' implies that I have a problem that needs to be fixed! When in reality, its you with the problem...

Cagey Mac

Bench
I'd put Marketo in front of L'etrange
Rein played 80 minutes in the WCCand finished strong
This early in the season IMO the big boys will be short of a gallop and by keeping Rein on Mary gets one or two additional interchanges. Marketo is a better utility than L'estrange

BankstownDragon

Juniors
I'd put Marketo in front of L'etrange
Rein played 80 minutes in the WCCand finished strong
This early in the season IMO the big boys will be short of a gallop and by keeping Rein on Mary gets one or two additional interchanges. Marketo is a better utility than L'estrange

I think you are right in that we need an 80 min rake, which will give us Marketing as an extra utility.

Only that IMHO believe that short or long term, Rien is not our answer. Lestarnge has better service and does not get run over even when making a tackle.

Cheers.