What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 versus the Titans

After watching the replay more closely, now feel I have been a touch harsh on Junior. His ball skills are improving.. his neat interchanges with inside supports, plus his clever held up pass to put JBD into a gap for his try shows me that. OK Junior you are now a 5/8 work in progress and will likely have an extended run there with Bird finally moving to the forwards.

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Totally agree with your comment about Bird taking the player out. He had ample time to run on his inside shoulder and it would have been a try for us. Some might say the players aren't coached properly or whatever, but these are first grade players earning hundreds of thousands each year, even a first game rookie or park footballer with that much time that Bird had should not have gone anywhere near running straight at the defender and knocked him over. Just another example of our dumbarse team.

Some might not agree with this but the first try, as the ball was going to land 2 to 3 metres short of the tryline, Lomax should have let the Titans player catch it and just smashed him. The Titans player would not have had the momentum from that far out to score. By jumping and missing it, he took himself out of the play.

And the incident where Tyrell stuck his foot out from the bomb and it hit Hunt for accidental offside just sums up our team. That was comedy gold.
Yes exactly. Funny how Lomax has gone from almost looking like an AFL player (remember the catch against the bulldogs last year or the year before) to making lazy one handed efforts like that one last night, that was despicable.

Sloan trying to foot trap a bomb was a big concern as it shows he has some serious technical deficiencies that may impact his long term ability at fullback. You'd expect someone who has played their junior footy at fullback would be keen to get under the high ball at least. Mistakes happen but attitude is key and those errors he made show that may be the issue with him. Maybe he'd be better as a winger, centre or five eighth even.

Sloan trying to foot trap a bomb was a big concern as it shows he has some serious technical deficiencies that may impact his long term ability at fullback.
Yes he makes mistakes.. he is still a rookie but he did some good things too like his ball skills and footwork to put Suli in for the no try that Bird stuffed. He constantly took on the defense and half split the line several times. I reckon when he bulks up and works on his deficiencies we will have a seriously good player.

Last edited:

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Yes exactly. Funny how Lomax has gone from almost looking like an AFL player (remember the catch against the bulldogs last year or the year before) to making lazy one handed efforts like that one last night, that was despicable.

Sloan trying to foot trap a bomb was a big concern as it shows he has some serious technical deficiencies that may impact his long term ability at fullback. You'd expect someone who has played their junior footy at fullback would be keen to get under the high ball at least. Mistakes happen but attitude is key and those errors he made show that may be the issue with him. Maybe he'd be better as a winger, centre or five eighth even.
To me, it smacks of someone so petrified of making a mistake that it actually causes them to make one (or multiple).

It's the same as the constant high-percentage one-out runs. So afraid of making a mistake that they end up in a scoreboard position where they require an ultra low-percentage miracle play and it doesn't come off.

If they were allowed to make the 50/50 plays earlier in the game, then they might not end up in a position where they panic and go for the 10/90 play late in the game.

And that conservative, defeatist mindset is 100% on the coach.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Harsh about Sloan-not saying he doesn't have an issue with the high ball but unlike Hunt, Sexton's bombs were shallow and more like up and unders- and swirling and dipping viciously out of what was steady rain- an almost impossible catch running forward- and into traffic. He was damned if he tried to catch or let it bounce so I can understand why he went for the trap in the circs. Campbell often had more space and time from Hunt's bombs than Sloan from Sexton's.

Also, had big Tino running at him a couple of times after clean breaks but, unlike Dufty, didn't shirk- found a way to slow him down until the cavalry arrived. Those long legs of his are better suited to full-back and the wide open spaces where he can build up speed.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well I feel so much better now after reading all the positive feedback about our Dragons . Unfortunately they will be going no where this season, nor the next, nor the season after that .

As a number of our distinguished brethren have pointed out , we are rabble , a thoroughly disorganised rabble with little going for us other than the famous Big Red V jersey itself .

At the beginning of each season we are excited believing that this shall finally be the year that the Dragons climb out of the cellar and gain ourselves a semi berth only for our hopes to be crushed in no uncertain terms - poor attack - bad defence - countless errors and plain bluudy stupidity .

It has been said time and time again however - until we have players that are of true quality and put their all in each week and have that determination to win at all costs , plus a individual who can inspire his teammates on to greater heights .

And finally a coach who can get into the players heads that the team is there to win the competition , not there merely to make up the numbers and act accordingly by replacing those who do not perform , then unfortunately we shall be staying exactly where we are now , as the also - rans of the competition , the easybeats .

And we have been this way for a decade now with no end in sight , my , how the mighty Dragon has fallen .

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Harsh about Sloan-not saying he doesn't have an issue with the high ball but unlike Hunt, Sexton's bombs were shallow and more like up and unders- and swirling and dipping viciously out of what was steady rain- an almost impossible catch running forward- and into traffic. He was damned if he tried to catch or let it bounce so I can understand why he went for the trap in the circs. Campbell often had more space and time from Hunt's bombs than Sloan from Sexton's.

Also, had big Tino running at him a couple of times after clean breaks but, unlike Dufty, didn't shirk- found a way to slow him down until the cavalry arrived. Those long legs of his are better suited to full-back and the wide open spaces where he can build up speed.
I believe that any fullback letting a ball bounce in any situation is a cardinal sin. If they drop one of those bombs but are putting their body on the line, at least they're showing the attitude and commitment that is required of a fullback.

Letting a ball bounce to me is akin to being scared of the ball or the contact which is why I think it isn't a good sign that Tyrell who has played all his junior football in the position is another who lacks even the will or attitude to get under the ball.

Dufty was the same and for years us as supporters overlooked his glaring defensive issues because we thought what he added with the ball was better and now look at him, he will be either in ESL next year or won't be playing the game at NRL level anymore.

I don't want the same for Sloane and I hope we see this facet of his game improve but it's certainly worrying.

Cast your mind back to my namesake as a young fullback, he wasn't the biggest guy nor did he need to be. Every time a bomb went up he was willing to get under it and do his best to catch it, he didn't catch them all but at least he tried and that's all I for one want to see in a young up and coming fullback.

The ball skills can come second for mine, show that you're a natural fullback who wants to put their body on the line and isn't scared first.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Just watched the replay after listening to the 4bc call last night and reading the negative forum posts last night. That's why I wait before posting so that emotion and frustration doesn't get the better. I was surprised at what I thought was a pretty good effort by the team in appalling conditions.
We need to be realistic in that we will be lucky to be top 8 this season but the buds are there. Watching the 3 amigos play there is a feeling that something special is about to happen, especially Sloan mistakes and all. Training this week should be. Goal kicking practice for Lomax, and catching the high ball under pressure by Sloan and Rava but please leave them there to gain FG experience. The club needs to also look at boosting our prop forwards, this is our Achilles heel. Our back row and backs aren't bad but we need to spend some money on some big tough mobile middle forwards and then we might see the backs flourish. Pick and stick should be the motto for the time being

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting take by some about selections.

We have a squad currently at 28 to chose from, of those:
Max Feagai played his first game in Flegg after serious injury.
Billy Burns has been out injured maybe due back this week
Jayden Sua is out injured
Andrew McCollough was a withdrawal through injury

So there 4 less 'available' from the squad. That leaves 24 to choose from, of which:
George Burgess isnt fit enough for 1st grade
Jackson Ford is a fringe player at best
Poasa Faamasili well enough said
Josh Kerr just hasnt produced
Tautau Moga another who just hasnt produced on the field.

So, theres another 5 who shouldnt be seeing 1st grade unless something serious happens. I believe that leaves 19 to choose from, and we basically saw the 19 this week ie; the 17 who played, Cody Ramsey who was 18th man and Tyrell Fuimaono who was the last to be left out of this game.

Yes, we need a hooker, and from what I've been told the search is on on earnest. Obiously another forward wouldn't go astray either to complete the 30 requirement.

Mbye is not a starting hooker, ok as a bench replacement but not a starter. The same with Bud. Their defense is not 'seasoned' enough to withstand the constant demands of the role, and it was plainly and painfully evident yesterday.
Our young guns are so raw, and they will find it more and more difficult to gain confidence the more we lose like yesterday.

With Moose likely out for a while another forward is needed. Sims back to edge maybe.

So, basically, we are in a world of pain right now, no depth, no 'gun' shining bright in ressies either (consider they got absolutely smacked last game). What we have is what we have, that won't change in the short term either, and may get worse once origin rolls around (I said may!).

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Gee I hate the Presser after the game ..... Hook and Hunt look like two lost souls ...... Depressing , again Hook comes out and says he was proud of the boys on thier defensive effort , FMD they missed 54 tackles and he is happy , attack is non existing Hunt looks like he is ready to cry ..... Own up start throwing things around the room show your disappointment , tell everyone its not good enough , change your stuctures and the way they play yell scream at the presser so we know you both are not happy ...... But no we get I'm proud of the boy's .......
he might just be a worse coach than Mary, certainly no bloody better! We can sure pick the lemons to run the team and when we finally landed a decent coach we sent him packing after 3 years and a premiership. No more wallowing, change it up, there is a premiership coach hanging around the club already - just crying out for a shot.....surely its not that hard.

TruSaint

Referee
Just watched the replay after listening to the 4bc call last night and reading the negative forum posts last night. That's why I wait before posting so that emotion and frustration doesn't get the better. I was surprised at what I thought was a pretty good effort by the team in appalling conditions.
We need to be realistic in that we will be lucky to be top 8 this season but the buds are there. Watching the 3 amigos play there is a feeling that something special is about to happen, especially Sloan mistakes and all. Training this week should be. Goal kicking practice for Lomax, and catching the high ball under pressure by Sloan and Rava but please leave them there to gain FG experience. The club needs to also look at boosting our prop forwards, this is our Achilles heel. Our back row and backs aren't bad but we need to spend some money on some big tough mobile middle forwards and then we might see the backs flourish. Pick and stick should be the motto for the time being

Fair enough and Im not having a dig at you.

The conditions were the same for both sides. Just look at the game after ours and see how even in pouring rain, there are structures that involve more than hit up after hit up, and then kick.

Our props sadly don't cut it for the 2022 version of the NRL.

Apart from Suli and Rava, we offer no threat in our backline. I like Zac, but he hasn't thus far lived up to his hype.

Teams know that come tackle 5, its Hunt. No one else. He is a great worker and good overall half but he is not a clutch player and is overplaying his hand. That's on Hook.

Until we admit the overall squad and game plan are poor, we won't change the trajectory.

And finally a coach who can get into the players heads that the team is there to win the competition , not there merely to make up the numbers and act accordingly by replacing those who do not perform , then unfortunately we shall be staying exactly where we are now , as the also - rans of the competition , the easybeats .
Hook is a poor coach. Therein lies the root of our problems IMO. Mary may have had his faults but the bloke bled red and white, Griffin bleeds maroon and yellow.

Kolum Kid

Juniors

The conditions were the same for both sides. Just look at the game after ours and see how even in pouring rain, there are structures that involve more than hit up after hit up, and then kick.

Apart from Suli and Rava, we offer no threat in our backline. I like Zac, but he hasn't thus far lived up to his hype.

Teams know that come tackle 5, its Hunt. No one else. He is a great worker and good overall half but he is not a clutch player and is overplaying his hand. That's on Hook.

Until we admit the overall squad and game plan are poor, we won't change the trajectory.
I don't disagree with you. As I said our most needed upgrade are the props and a mobile 2nd rower. Bird needs to forget about anywhere in the backs and learn to run straight. Last night when he did that he made ground and this year he has scored from running hard and straight.Ben Hunt is hands down our best player but where should he play? Most of our backs are young and need game experience but given time will be good for us.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
Mate nothing will change, Hook was pretty happy with yesterday, proud of their effort blah blah. They’ll cough and splutter along, beat the warriors next week, lose to the dogs the following week, lose to cowboys, beat the raiders etc etc and on and on. Finish 10th, maybe, fans will say we are looking better next year, next year mate! And on and on…..
Sadly, this seems to be a very prescient analysis.

Yes, we need a hooker, and from what I've been told the search is on on earnest.
We looking outside the club you mean? Why not look within as we have one probably champing at the bit to get a firsts crack in Connor Muhleisen. And I believe he is a local junior. Pity lower tier footy is not covered as many of us dont get the chance to see the young up and comers actually playing to better determine their ability, like we do with young cricketers for instance.

Mojo

Bench
What we have needed from our expensive skipper all these years. Agree Sullo looks to have vision so does Tyrell for mine plus he has a good passing game. This duo may be rookies and still developing but they know each other's game so dont mind betting that by pairing them in the halves we will see results.
Anything is worth a try

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Good post bud, and just to add re Hunt, yes he works his butt off and your right hes a good overall half, but that aside hes also the captain out on the field and at times imo he just doesnt rally and point / guide the team in the right direction in particular as you say in tight situations....as Ive mentioned on several occasions we need someone else in the halves to do some of the kicking /grubbers chips or whatever....now whom that maybe whether its Amone, Sullivan, Mbye or Bird it has to be sorted and sorted quickly

I like Zac,
So do I. As I see it Zac lacks sufficient clean ball due to poor distribution and structureless footy by our so called playmakers. We also continue to play too flat with little room to swing the ball wide to players in space and which allows the defense easy pickings . We simply have to have a better attack coach than the present one. Hope Joey is heading our way.

Last edited:

Latest posts