What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Bulldogs

TruSaint

Referee
Guys it's not about Clune getting more involved, it's actually whether Norman and Hunt let Clune get involved. There's a difference.

Very glad he showed his quality in the 2nd half nonetheless.

Agree with this.
But also acknowledge that he needs to slowly take control. He did so late into 2nd half.
To me he seems composed and understated. 2 qualities I like in a 7.

Old Timer

Coach
Now the media crawling up Norman’s arse
FMD I wish anyone but Norman had won the game for us
Samy, I thought there was definite improvement in Saab today. I have enjoyed Jordan's whole-hearted efforts and love his humility but that shoulder charge coming back from suspension was really disappointing. I would give Saab a protracted run at the position to gain confidence and prove himself. Look at what has happened to players like Lomax, Clune and Kerr once given a regular spot.
Intelligent assessment of the facts on your part.

Saab is a big gangly kid who no doubt has some issues due to his sheer size and expectations that come with that and is no doubt also suffering because of the press articles about him looking for a release and that unfortunately very often transfers into the attitude of the hard nuts in the team who will isolate him.

It takes some time to get accepted into the ranks and that was very evident with the the likes of Host, Sele, Herbert, Garrick and a few others who rather than being embraced were almost lepers due to the old stagers wanting their mates to be selected.

Even now young Host is still like a "fringe player" rather than an accepted part of the group.

Saab looked engaged today and did some very good things and was jubilant with team mates at key moments.

He just needs game time and for some clean early ball (good luck with EA inside him) then he can show what he can do in the clear which is what we all want to see.

Hanging around getting a cold on the wing doesn't exactly help you in key moments in defence and you can easily make a mistake or 2 and then get down on yourself.

I see plenty of upside in the kid and just as Clune got some opportunities today and he took them with both hands so will it be for Saab.

Thanks JP for all your effort but the reserve bench awaits you if I were coach.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
My takeaways from today
  • Anyone thinking to positive about future chances needs to be careful of disappointment.
  • Spewing that Norman got the winning play as he will dine out on that for many weeks to come but should be more remembered for his very ordinary FG attempt.
  • Clune looking much better each week and will keep improving if he is allowed more control. Showed good vision and a bit of pace to round out a nice game.
  • Kerr is going ahead least and bounds and needs more game time IMO and if players get on his shoulder he could be huge for us.
  • Dufty is Dufty and comes with +/- but is the key to lighting things up in attack.
  • Mc Innes is trying really hard at 13 and showing more ability at the line than Frizz, Sims, Merrin which is quite sad in many ways. Big motor and we must accept a mistake or 2 in his game as his workload is increasing.
  • IMO TF is a bit of a myth however no doubt he is being used very poorly. Maybe needs to be on 10 before until 10 after HT as he is supposed to be a strike weapon not a workhorse.
  • Norman is still a good time Charlie and does just enough to keep his position because the coach is a softcock.
  • Hunt is a complete enigma. He does some really good things intermingled with some real shit. He seems to do a fair bit of running across the field and ends up just "dishing" the ball off to a flat footed player for no gain and probably loss of the advantage line. When he does engage the line we look all the better for it but he is very clunky and is more than capable of the Rein pass anywhere between neck and feet.
  • Lomax is just growing into 1st grade nicely and his strength in defence is a real bonus. I posted elsewhere that I think he might become a very good 13 (modern day Brad Clyde type) in a year or so especially if we lose JDB.
  • Aitken is getting more confident and with that come reliability. He probably erred once in defence which aided then Dogs scoring and he possibly had a chance to put Saab into the clear but fair tho say that the LHS suits him much better and he is contributing nicely.
  • Sims is a meat head, Frizz doesn't have a pass in him, Vaughan not getting enough game time for mine, BL is going OK with his limited ability although I though he tackled much harder today.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My takeaways from today
  • Anyone thinking to positive about future chances needs to be careful of disappointment.
  • Spewing that Norman got the winning play as he will dine out on that for many weeks to come but should be more remembered for his very ordinary FG attempt.
  • Clune looking much better each week and will keep improving if he is allowed more control. Showed good vision and a bit of pace to round out a nice game.
  • Kerr is going ahead least and bounds and needs more game time IMO and if players get on his shoulder he could be huge for us.
  • Dufty is Dufty and comes with +/- but is the key to lighting things up in attack.
  • Mc Innes is trying really hard at 13 and showing more ability at the line than Frizz, Sims, Merrin which is quite sad in many ways. Big motor and we must accept a mistake or 2 in his game as his workload is increasing.
  • IMO TF is a bit of a myth however no doubt he is being used very poorly. Maybe needs to be on 10 before until 10 after HT as he is supposed to be a strike weapon not a workhorse.
  • Norman is still a good time Charlie and does just enough to keep his position because the coach is a softcock.
  • Hunt is a complete enigma. He does some really good things intermingled with some real shit. He seems to do a fair bit of running across the field and ends up just "dishing" the ball off to a flat footed player for no gain and probably loss of the advantage line. When he does engage the line we look all the better for it but he is very clunky and is more than capable of the Rein pass anywhere between neck and feet.
  • Lomax is just growing into 1st grade nicely and his strength in defence is a real bonus. I posted elsewhere that I think he might become a very good 13 (modern day Brad Clyde type) in a year or so especially if we lose JDB.
  • Aitken is getting more confident and with that come reliability. He probably erred once in defence which aided then Dogs scoring and he possibly had a chance to put Saab into the clear but fair tho say that the LHS suits him much better and he is contributing nicely.
  • Sims is a meat head, Frizz doesn't have a pass in him, Vaughan not getting enough game time for mine, BL is going OK with his limited ability although I though he tackled much harder today.
I got pizza.

It was delicious.

The calm one

Juniors
My takeaways from today
Just give Sims a bit more time. Lot better than last week and just needs a bit more match fitness. Aitken is getting better and gaining confidence every week, especially now he hasn't got that other clown standing beside him.
Why we are on the subject of him, can someone who lives a bit closer please inform when he has cleaned his locker out and what home ground I have to drive him to. I don't care if it is Red Hill. Thanks, Appreciate it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I wasn't comparing him at all. Use what little brain you have to read, before you get someone to type a reply for you
Well, yes you were, actually.

Someone said we don’t win that without Clune.

In reply to that, you asked how many Melbourne win without Smith.

If that’s not a comparison, Mary is a good coach.

No need to start throwing around insults as clearly out of the two of us, I’m not the one with a small brain.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
God I hate these merkins! Let's kick them while they are down, they are coming off 5 straight losses and have Knights, Eels and then Storm after is so this is probably there most winnable game but I really hope we don't take them lightly and give them a hiding.
Spoken like a St George supporter. Canterbury can join Cronulla on the 'B' ark.

George Sancti

Juniors
Saints started the game against the Bulldogs similarly to how they finished against the Manly. They threw the ball around, scored points and expected the opposition to roll over, and it worked until they needed to defend. When the Bulldogs came back at them much harder than what the Sea Eagles did, Saints were too slow to react.

I was happy that Saints adjusted their defence after half time did not concede another try, and still managed to play enterprising football in attack. I also saw some subtle improvements such as Lomax and Ravawala occasionally switching between Centre and Wing in defence which shows someone on the coaching panel is helping them play to their strengths.

Overall, I believe they are still improving.

The calm one

Juniors
Well, yes you were, actually.

Someone said we don’t win that without Clune.

In reply to that, you asked how many Melbourne win without Smith.

If that’s not a comparison, Mary is a good coach.

No need to start throwing around insults as clearly out of the two of us, I’m not the one with a small brain.
Go get you're friend a dictionary and get them to look up the word, compare for you. It means when you are judging a person with another person. If I did not mention either players ability to play the game how am I judging or comparing them????? genius

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Go get you're friend a dictionary and get them to look up the word, compare for you. It means when you are judging a person with another person. If I did not mention either players ability to play the game how am I judging or comparing them????? genius
Ahh..

Irony..

So delicious..