What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Eels

Parramatta Eels dreams all but shattered after heartbreaking last minute loss to South Sydney Rabbitohs

Date May 13, 2016 - 10:08PM 64 reading now

s
Michael Chammas

Sports reporter

South Sydney's nightmare has finally ended at the likely expense of Parramatta's semi-final dreams after an Adam Reynolds sideline conversion sealed their come-from-behind victory on Friday night.

One down, eleven to go, they were chanting in the stands early in the second half when Semi Radradra crossed for his third try of the night to give his side a 14-point buffer. The chant was a reference to the Eels improbable mission to make the finals: 12 wins from 15 games before tonight's clash.

But just when it looked like South Sydney would slump to a fifth straight loss at the hands of the now salary cap compliant Eels, Luke Keary came off the bench and turned the game on its head.

While Sam Burgess was the real hero for the Bunnies with his trademark commitment both with and without the ball, it was Adam Reynolds' sideline conversion of a Luke Keary try in the 78th minute that sealed the 22-20 win at Pirtek Stadium.

Greg Inglis' shift to five-eighth wasn't as effective as Michael Maguire would have hoped, but there was no doubting his contribution in the centres, laying on the miracle pass that led to the match winner.

Beau Scott of the Eels is tackled by the Rabbitohs defence.
Beau Scott of the Eels is tackled by the Rabbitohs defence. Photo: Cameron Spencer

You'd be hardpressed finding a better player in a losing team than Semi Radradra.

Just a few days after his name was linked to a possible exit from the club, the Australian Test winger showed his value to the team with a hat-trick of tries.

For all the conjecture last week over the legitimacy of his selection in the Kangaroos team, there's no doubting his place at the very top of the tree when it comes to wingers in the NRL, producing a barnstorming performance that drew the ultimate praise from club legend Peter Sterling.

"I never thought I'd see another winger excite the crowd here like Eric Grothe did," Sterling said of Radradra during Channel Nine's call.

"But that man is something special."

The Rabbitohs thwarted an emotion-charged opening to the match to register first points through Michael Oldfield, before Reynolds' penalty goal extended the lead to six points soon after.

The Eels hit back through Fijian flyer Radradra, who outleapt Oldfield to latch on to a Corey Norman cross-field kick and reduce the deficit to just two points despite a protest from the home crowd for an eight point try following an accidental knee to the head from Paul Carter.

The Eels winger bagged a double on the stroke of half time when Manu Ma'u put Michael Jennings into open space, who in turn drew the fullback to set up his outside man for a 10-6 lead.

Fellow Eels winger Vai Toutai joined in on the action just seconds out from half time, crashing his way over three South Sydney defenders to give the Eels an eight point lead at the break.

The Eels onslaught didn't stop after the break with Radradra picking up his hat-trick, before the Rabbitohs hit back through Kirisome Auva'a.

They looked to have grabbed another when Adam Reynolds dived over the ball, however the bunker intervened to rule he had knocked it on with the inside of his left arm before grounding it with the torso - a decision Andrew Johns described as a "dud call".

Luke Keary found his way into the contest mid-way through the second half and set up a try for Bryson Goodwin to reduce the deficit to four with eight minutes remaining before scoring the match winner.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-rabbitohs-20160513-gouz3a.html#ixzz48aGC4tG0
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Inglis five-eighth move pays dividends

Sat 14 May, 2016, 7:30am
By Chris Kennedy *, National Correspondent , NRL.com

Email
Print

image.ashx

Virtually all season, Souths coach Michael Maguire has been deflecting questions about why his star fullback is so down on form but after starring at centre for the Kangaroos and now five-eighth for the Rabbitohs, Inglis suddenly looks near-unstoppable.
Certainly Maguire's decision to punt on a major overhaul, bringing Alex Johnston back at fullback, shifting Luke Keary to the bench and dropping Damien Cook to accommodate Inglis's shift to the halves at this stage looks a masterstroke.
Inglis lit up the second half of his side's heart-stopping 22-20 win over Parramatta at Pirtek Stadium on Friday night, with much of that contribution coming from the centres once Luke Keary was injected off the bench at five-eighth – and Keary himself was the other dominant player in Souths' late surge, scoring one try and laying on another.
Two line breaks, a line break assist, five tackle breaks and 158 metres are a fair return in anyone's language but even those numbers don't capture the influence Inglis had late in the game.
With his team down 20-12 and running out of chances, Inglis launched a brutal long-range run down the left edge in the 69th minute to set panic among the Eels and though they hung on that time Souths scored from Keary's quality cut-out the next set.
Then with two minutes to go and the team still four in arrears Inglis repeated the effort but this time found a miracle offload to Bryson Goodwin to create a two-on-one from where Goodwin easily set up Luke Keary's match-winning try.
After the game, Maguire was pleased with the way the players responded to the changes in the attacking structure.
"[The win] came down to various things, obviously Greg moving to five-eighth, then he goes out to centre and Luke Keary comes on and provides a lot of energy," Maguire said.
"The changes were made to spark a few different things inside our attack. In that first half we had two sets where we went down there and we nearly came away with two tries.
"One where we probably get a tip-on pass from our left edge then on our right side we went across and got a great try. The first half I think we completed at 53 or 54 per cent so you make it tough for yourself but the boys defended really well and that's the character of what this club's always worked hard at and we have to make sure we take that forward."
Halfback Adam Reynolds praised the efforts of his new halves partner, as well as the contribution of his former halves partner Keary off the bench.
"I thought [Inglis] was good. He controlled that left side of the field," Reynolds told NRL.com.
"We linked up a few times there which was a part of the game plan and I think he's only going to get better in that position if Madge pursues it, but I thought Luke Keary was great tonight as well. He really came on and controlled things.
"He had fresh legs out there and he was moving around really quick. It was a pleasure having him there."
Inglis said he felt comfortable in his first match back at five-eighth and didn't rule out staying there for an extended spell.
"I was comfortable. What makes it so easy and so comfortable is everyone around me doing their job. We just went back and had a good look at ourselves and narrowed down what our jobs were on the field," Inglis said.
"Going back there, I really enjoyed it, it's just weighing up the options throughout the week and we'll go from there."

http://www.nrl.com/inglis-five-eighth-move-pays-dividends/tabid/10874/newsid/95895/default.aspx

DiegoNT

First Grade
Was it a case of Inglis at 5-8/centre working or was it more of a case of finally having a forward pack putting in and allowing him to play a more natural game?

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors
Was it a case of Inglis at 5-8/centre working or was it more of a case of finally having a forward pack putting in and allowing him to play a more natural game?
Its funny you mentioned this because I just posted about it in the "Baby Steps" thread. I think the move to five-eight suited him because it allowed him to get his hands on the ball more, hence increasing his involvement. After what happened at the back end of the game, people are going to be calling for him to be played in the centres but that would be a mistake. It is kind of ironical because Inglis could have done those sorts of things and made those sorts of breaks if he played at fullback; I just think he needs to position himself in a similar way to what Tedesco does, where you hang out the back and then insert yourself outside your half/five-eight in order to make breaks and draw players in.

Another unexpected benefit of playing Inglis at five-eight is that it has forced Adam Reynolds to play on both sides of the field like a traditional half back and shoulder more responsibility; Inglis slotted in at second receiver on both sides of the field. I think this is a good thing because it will give him the opportunity to stamp his authority of games and ultimately could see him become one of the premier halves in the competition. All in all, I would keep Inglis at five-eight because a) we have stumbled upon a winning formula and the last thing you want to do after this last month of hardship is change it and b) I'm not convinced by Keary just yet; he needs to produce more match winning performances if he wants to start.

Rabbits20

Immortal
some people reckon the refs favoured us o_O

Well they are uneducated moronic and foolish trolls.

There were quite a few dud calls against us.

Parra were slowing us down and getting away with lots in the ruck too.

Parra played like sooks and were milking penalties.

They stripped the ball on Sam and Clark and Cummins let them get away with it.

They were constantly offside Parra.

Knock on by them in the air and Cummins says drop out the fool.

Brown tackling a player and getting penalised for head high when he was nowhere near the head.

Reyno should have been given that try.

I could write a novel.

What a joke. The bias was so obvious.

The Merge better not get all the calls next week.

I got drenched in Round 3 and watched the worst refing performance I've seen in my life from Maxwell. It's so obvious he hates us. We had better not get this bloody merkin next week.

Geez I'm firing up. I can't stand the Merge.

It's time it fire up under adversity. Let's rise. Cmmmmooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
That is a classic Newc, they must have been giving Reyno heaps as he was lining up the shot. :lol:

It's the first time in how many appearances that Souths have come away with the points from parra stadium?

I had a long day at work. But I love that image:)

I'm still laughing at it:lol:

I'm firing right up for the Merge. I hate them.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I'm not convinced by Auva'a. I thought he really should have done better in preventing the Ma'u offload. In saying that, I do think he came back well and put in a solid shift without being spectacular. Many people on these forums have been calling for a more potent option in the centres and I think before too long we may see Robert Jennings partner Goodwin in there.

One area of concern for me that hasn't been mentioned yet is the amount of times we failed to defuse bombs and catch the ball cleanly. I thought Neilson was shocking in this regards tonight despite playing well in recent weeks and Alex Johnston spilled a couple as well. Say what you will about Greg Inglis at fullback but one thing that he always did well was catch the ball cleanly in the air.

Whenever AJ plays fullback he seems to struggle under the high ball more than he does on the wing. AJ has to wrk hard on it this week as the Merge will test him.

Nielsen must improve too under the high ball and be on defensively as the Merge will look to target him.

Correct re Auva'a. Goodwin is a much better option at centre this season.

Goodwin was once again very good last night. He always plays with the right attitude and he scored that try with 9mins left and timed it right passing to Keary to put him over. That flick pass from GI to Bryson wasn't easy Souths Pride. There was lots of pressure on Bryson catching that. If it was Auva'a I reckon he would have knocked on. He is knocking on far too much lately and not committing in defence and just slapping into thin air. I'm disappointed with Auva'a. With our injuries in the backs we have to keep Auva'a in the side and he must lift.

In the paper today Goodwin was rated our best back and it said what a safe first grader he is and what consistency plus effort he brings.

I'm not convinced re Keary at all. He is just too inconsistent and can turn it on and off like a tap. He probably just played well as he has realised he needs to, to raise his asking price for a contract. Imo Keary is all for himself and has the wrong attitude. Just the way I see it SOUTHS Pride.

Brown at prop is a good choice. Brown is a lot better than Tyrrell and Clark at prop and he runs with purpose and energy with offloads which helps build momentum.

I was impressed with Gosiewski too. Imo he played better than what Turner. He was so composed for his debut.

With Oldfield out we have 4 options:

1. Bring in Murphy onto the wing (he normally plays centre for the Bears and centre is his position)
2. Move GI to centre and start Keary at 6.
3. Move GI to fullback and AJ to the wing
4. Play Turner at centre with Auva'a on the wing (I strongly dislike this option though for obvious reasons)

souths_pride

Juniors
Whenever AJ plays fullback he seems to struggle under the high ball more than he does on the wing. AJ has to wrk hard on it this week as the Merge will test him.

Nielsen must improve too under the high ball and be on defensively as the Merge will look to target him.

Correct re Auva'a. Goodwin is a much better option at centre this season.

Goodwin was once again very good last night. He always plays with the right attitude and he scored that try with 9mins left and timed it right passing to Keary to put him over. That flick pass from GI to Bryson wasn't easy Souths Pride. There was lots of pressure on Bryson catching that. If it was Auva'a I reckon he would have knocked on. He is knocking on far too much lately and not committing in defence and just slapping into thin air. I'm disappointed with Auva'a. With our injuries in the backs we have to keep Auva'a in the side and he must lift.

In the paper today Goodwin was rated our best back and it said what a safe first grader he is and what consistency plus effort he brings.

I'm not convinced re Keary at all. He is just too inconsistent and can turn it on and off like a tap. He probably just played well as he has realised he needs to, to raise his asking price for a contract. Imo Keary is all for himself and has the wrong attitude. Just the way I see it SOUTHS Pride.

Brown at prop is a good choice. Brown is a lot better than Tyrrell and Clark at prop and he runs with purpose and energy with offloads which helps build momentum.

I was impressed with Gosiewski too. Imo he played better than what Turner. He was so composed for his debut.

With Oldfield out we have 4 options:

1. Bring in Murphy onto the wing (he normally plays centre for the Bears and centre is his position)
2. Move GI to centre and start Keary at 6.
3. Move GI to fullback and AJ to the wing
4. Play Turner at centre with Auva'a on the wing (I strongly dislike this option though for obvious reasons)
I wouldn't be moving Inglis anywhere in a hurry. We've stumbled upon a winning combination, the last thing that you want to do is cause disruption and instability by changing things again. Hence, I would keep Inglis at five-eight. For starters, do we even know what is wrong with Oldfield? I thought he went off with a concussion? If he is injured, I'd be simply looking to bring in another winger. That position is easy enough to cover without having to change the internal structures and combinations within the team to accommodate a new player. I've noticed that both Tom Hughes and Ed Murphy are listed as part of our first grade squad as being three quarters. Does anyone know how they are going and whether or not they are ready for first grade?