What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Knights...

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
I don't want to bag Lats as he was good for us last year in a good pack

This year he looks off the pace that's ok that happens to us all

I don't think we have anything to lose by giving Timm or Kerr a shot

Kerr's last match was a bit scrappy but that was nerves

You need to give the kids a crack

The good coaches drop underperforming players unless you're a young player in our club you need to be injured before being dropped

dwight12

Juniors
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
3. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
6. Jai Field – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham (c) – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13.Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
16. Jacob Host – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Mitch Allgood
19. Jonus Pearson
20. Josh Kerr
21. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)

sa1nt5

Juniors
Home truths- Dufty:won't put his body on the line and too small,good in the clear and support play due to speed factor but not looking like he'll be one of the top fb's at this stage.
Rava:still learning the game,bad hands,no footy smarts.
Lomax:needs time,not given enough of an opportunity.
Aitken:gone right off the boil,offers little.
Lafai:tries hard,lacks footy iq as well,too slow.
Jordy:tries hard,won't back himself,good finisher.
Halves-injury issues, Hunt trying but can't do it all himself.
Forwards-looking busted(already), starters giving their all but no back up from the bench due to poor rotation,injuries and certain players not given a chance(Kerr,Timm).
Bench:same as above,no proper utility,no energy from it,Lats is slower than a wet week.
Discipline,cohesion,and game control when in a lead has been very poor. Playing for half a game on a regular basis.
Coach:no need to bother....
We're in a whole heap of trouble now with injuries.The coach is stuffing everything around each game because he doesn't have a clue what to do.
Not looking good for this next game and the few weeks coming up after.
Agree with everything here except the Lafai bit once JP learns when to come inside him you will see just how good he is, there is not a better ball playing centre in the comp he attracts defenders like moths to a flame and should suggest other coaches know what he can do and they make certain he is shut down as a matter of urgency and still he gets his offloads, if he has a runner. Apart from Latrell there is no other centre I would want to replace him.

sa1nt5

Juniors
TEAM LISTS

TripADeal team announcement: Round 10 v Knights
Author
Dragons.com.audragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 14 May 2019, 04:00 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 10 clash against the Newcastle Knights at Mudgee's Glen Willow Stadium on Sunday, May 19.

The Dragons remain unchanged as far as 1-17 goes, but Korbin Sims (arm) has been named in the reserves in place of Lachlan Timm and may make his long-awaited return.

NRL squad for Round 10 v Newcastle Knights –

6. Jai Field – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader

Interchange:
16. Jacob Host – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Mitch Allgood
19. Jonus Pearson
20. Josh Kerr

sa1nt5

Juniors
any chance our coach is putting down bets against us ? Really the same team ? Ponga is pretty happy about it no doubt, this bloke is going to waste us as soon as Aitken comes on and Rava drops his confidence outside him

Gareth67

First Grade
Hi all you Dragons fanatics. I have recently signed up on the forum and I really appreciate reading the posts for the many threads covered by all the very astute members.

I have followed the Dragons for some 58 years from the age of about 14. Initially as a kid, I did not take the game too seriously and a win was just a win and a loss was just a loss - no big deal.
Nowadays as an extremely die hard tragic of the Dragons, a win is bloody fantastic and a loss is unbelievably dire. I do not want to dwell on the past as that period like in all sports, has good and bad moments, although of course for all of us, the good moments are the ones that are treasured.

I am writing to convey my thoughts of the future direction our club is heading towards and I believe it is how Possm depicts it in this post.

Unfortunately, this year has started off badly with JDB being the initial main cause of great concern affecting the structures that would have been instrumental in us winning more games if he played - his absence from playing is a huge loss. The other reasons are the injuries that we have accumulated to several of our high profile players. Moreover, while Paul McGregor remains coach we will not be premiership winners and while he says he now has the squad he wants, they are not effective enough to get us to the top 4 as the players have lost a lot of confidence and composure. We unfortunately have come up with some bad luck this year and as such I'm predicting that we will end up in the bottom four as Possm has predicted.

Sorry guys for my drivel and prediction. We do not have the cattle on and off the field from players to coaches to CEO and Board.

Cheers
Dragon David

To a tee , Dragon David , well put and you have certainly pinpointed the causes of what I would call ‘ The Fall of the Dragon Empire ‘ . Welcome to the forum G67 .

possm

Coach
Same starting line up and yes same bench.

Anyone expecting anything but the "same" result needs help.

3 losses on the trot, and no sense of urgency by Mary.
I'd say it is Mary who needs help. Make his day and sack him. Give him the golden handshake he craves and send him on his way.

sa1nt5

Juniors
Hi all you Dragons fanatics. I have recently signed up on the forum and I really appreciate reading the posts for the many threads covered by all the very astute members.

I have followed the Dragons for some 58 years from the age of about 14. Initially as a kid, I did not take the game too seriously and a win was just a win and a loss was just a loss - no big deal.
Nowadays as an extremely die hard tragic of the Dragons, a win is bloody fantastic and a loss is unbelievably dire. I do not want to dwell on the past as that period like in all sports, has good and bad moments, although of course for all of us, the good moments are the ones that are treasured.

I am writing to convey my thoughts of the future direction our club is heading towards and I believe it is how Possm depicts it in this post.

Unfortunately, this year has started off badly with JDB being the initial main cause of great concern affecting the structures that would have been instrumental in us winning more games if he played - his absence from playing is a huge loss. The other reasons are the injuries that we have accumulated to several of our high profile players. Moreover, while Paul McGregor remains coach we will not be premiership winners and while he says he now has the squad he wants, they are not effective enough to get us to the top 4 as the players have lost a lot of confidence and composure. We unfortunately have come up with some bad luck this year and as such I'm predicting that we will end up in the bottom four as Possm has predicted.

Sorry guys for my drivel and prediction. We do not have the cattle on and off the field from players to coaches to CEO and Board.

Cheers
Dragon David

denis preston

First Grade
I'd say it is Mary who needs help. Make his day and sack him. Give him the golden handshake he craves and send him on his way.
No way the board would do this 4 games after extending hid contract. They will look like the fools they Are ! Best hope is someone get him pissed and put him behind the wheel in a car and call the cops. Even then he would get off.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons v Knights: Round 10 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 14 May 2019, 04:02 PM

The Knights are starting to get on a roll now Kalyn Ponga has returned to fullback and a solid win over Canterbury will have them full of confidence as they head to Mudgee to take on St George Illawarra.

It's not a great time for the Dragons to draw the Knights after a demoralising loss to the Warriors last week. It was a game they had full control of in the first 20 minutes and looked set to cruise to victory but they faded as the minutes ticked by and lost it in the final stages.

Newcastle would almost consider Mudgee home territory heading due west from the Hunter and they'll be walking tall now they've turned a run of losses into three wins in a row.

Match: Dragons v Knights

Round 10 - Sunday 19th May

2:00pm

Home Team

Dragons

10th Position

Away Team

Knights

9th Position

Venue: Glen Willow Oval

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Team news
Dragons: Paul McGregor has opted against changes as the Dragons aim to snap a three-game losing slide. The only possible alteration will be Korbin Sims being elevated to the final 17-man team after he was named as a reserve, but the uncompromising prop has to prove he has recovered from a broken arm.

Knights: Three wins on the trot has given Nathan Brown the luxury of some stability and he has named the same 17 which took care of the Bulldogs in the Magic Round on the back of Ponga and Pearce's brilliance. The last time the Knights won four in a row was the opening four rounds of 2015.

Match: Dragons v Knights

Round 10 - Sunday 19th May

2:00pm

Home Team

Dragons

Away Team

Knights

Venue:Glen Willow Oval

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Dragons is number 1 Matthew Dufty

Fullback for Knights is number 1 Kalyn Ponga
  • Winger for Dragons is number 2 Jordan Pereira

Winger for Knights is number 2 Edrick Lee
  • Centre for Dragons is number 3 Zac Lomax

Centre for Knights is number 3 Hymel Hunt
  • Centre for Dragons is number 4 Timoteo Lafai

Centre for Knights is number 4 Jesse Ramien
  • Winger for Dragons is number 5 Mikaele Ravalawa

Winger for Knights is number 5 Shaun Kenny-Dowall
  • Five-Eighth for Dragons is number 6 Jai Field

Five-Eighth for Knights is number 6 Connor Watson
  • Halfback for Dragons is number 7 Ben Hunt

Halfback for Knights is number 7 Mitchell Pearce
Forwards
  • Prop for Dragons is number 8 James Graham

Prop for Knights is number 8 David Klemmer
  • Hooker for Dragons is number 9 Cameron McInnes

Hooker for Knights is number 9 Danny Levi
  • Prop for Dragons is number 10 Paul Vaughan

Prop for Knights is number 10 Daniel Saifiti
  • 2nd Row for Dragons is number 11 Tyson Frizell

2nd Row for Knights is number 11 Lachlan Fitzgibbon
  • 2nd Row for Dragons is number 12 Tariq Sims

2nd Row for Knights is number 12 Mitchell Barnett
  • Lock for Dragons is number 13 Blake Lawrie

Lock for Knights is number 13 Tim Glasby
Interchange
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 14 Jeremy Latimore

Interchange for Knights is number 14 Kurt Mann
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 15 Euan Aitken

Interchange for Knights is number 15 Herman Ese'ese
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 16 Jacob Host

Interchange for Knights is number 16 James Gavet
  • Interchange for Dragons is number 17 Luciano Leilua

Interchange for Knights is number 17 Sione Mata'utia
Reserves
  • Reserve for Dragons is number 18 Mitchell Allgood

Reserve for Knights is number 18 Josh King
  • Reserve for Dragons is number 19 Jonus Pearson

Reserve for Knights is number 19 Pasami Saulo
  • Reserve for Dragons is number 20 Josh Kerr

Reserve for Knights is number 20 Jamie Buhrer
  • Reserve for Dragons is number 21 Korbin Sims

Reserve for Knights is number 21 Mason Lino
Dragons Ins
  • Jonus Pearson
  • Josh Kerr
  • Korbin Sims
  • Mitchell Allgood
Ins
Knights Ins
  • Jamie Buhrer
  • Josh King
  • Mason Lino
  • Pasami Saulo
Dragons Outs

Outs
Knights Ins

Key match-up
The halfbacks have a lot to play for. The form of Nathan Cleary and James Maloney means Brad Fittler will be watching his other options closely and another big game from Mitchell Pearce could give him another shot at a Blues jersey. Ben Hunt had a moment to forget last week when he fumbled a crucial dropout that gave the Warriors the chance to go down-field and score. He'll want to redeem himself with Origin selection around the corner.

For the Dragons to win
Tighten up the middle. The Warriors had a lot of success in that area of the field, a number of breaks being made there leaving the Dragons' defence scrambling. Pearce and Ponga can easily exploit that kind of weakness. They'll want to push the Knights to the edges with them possibly without Connor Watson and Edrick Lee after injuries last week.

For the Knights to win
Keep doing what they're doing. Three wins in a row means something is working and it's about continuing to build on those combinations as the top eight comes within striking distance.

Brett Kimmorley says
How good is taking the game to regional areas? There should be a large crowd in Mudgee for this one. The Dragons need to get back to their winning ways, as without Corey Norman they've come back to the middle of the field. Newcastle have a big chance to cause an upset. Ponga, Pearce and Klemmer have been great for the Knights. They've changed their style, they've found some confidence, and big players can usually return to form pretty quickly and that's what the Knights are getting from those three stars. I like what they're offering up at the moment. Knights by 4.

Stat Attack
Kalyn Ponga sealed the win last week with a solo effort try, but don't discount the work he does in setting others up. He finished with two line-break assists and a try assist (as well as 116 run metres) in their win over the Bulldogs.

And another thing ...
Glen Willow Oval in Mudgee has hosted four games since 2012 (two City-Country, two NRL). It has been near-capacity (10,000) every time and is the second year in a row the Dragons have taken a game there, last year defeating Canberra 25-18.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/14/dragons-v-knights-round-10-preview/

Gareth67

First Grade
There was a tele show on yesterday that showed a baldy headed chap getting roasted by a Dragon , apparently he just didn’t live up to his end of the bargain , food for thought ?

getsmarty

Immortal

Interchange:
16. Jacob Host – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Mitch Allgood
19. Jonus Pearson
20. Josh Kerr

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/14/tripadeal-team-announcement-round-10-v-knights/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra players desperate to bounce back after confronting video session
Dragons Den
r0_316_5472_3405_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Monstered: Blake Lawrie. Picture: NRL Imagery/Jason O'Brien

St George Illawarra players have spoken of the confronting video session that followed Saturday night's capitulation to the Warriors as they vowed to ensure the side produces a much-improved performance against the Knights on Sunday.

While the Dragons' first half was filled with highlights, it was a second-half horror show that saw an 18-6 half-time lead turn into a 26-18 defeat.

Representative forward Tyson Frizell said those first-half highlights were missing from this week's video session, with coach Paul McGregor instead opting to focus on the defensive errors and lapses in concentration that occurred in the second half.

"We don't go into video sessions watching our highlights, watching film of how good we scored tries," Frizell said. "The past couple of weeks it certainly hasn't been many highlights.

"It's pretty confronting for the young blokes, being there and seeing how some video sessions can go. Sometimes you can go into the video session hoping your name doesn't get called up. But it is good, it makes boys accountable. Actions that you probably don't think you've done are there for everyone to see.

"We've all played a part in how we're performing the past couple of weeks and it's good to see footage of yourself not playing as well as you think you have been."

The second-half collapse was the second-straight week the Dragons had let slip a half-time lead, with the Eels blitzing the Dragons after half-time in round eight.

With the side desperate to ensure it doesn't happen for a third time, few players were spared in this week's video session. Winger Jordan Pereira revealed McGregor made use of a wide video angle that highlighted the effort of every player on the field.

"On TV you see the angle they want to show you," Pereira said. "When coach shows you the game, he shows you the angle that shows all players on the field at all times and you can see what everyone's doing. Some of the things you wish you didn't see, but then you realise that's my job, I need to be doing that.

"From the coach's perspective, he's coming from a good place and just wants us to be better. He pointed out the one per cent effort areas that personally I was lacking in, I'm definitely going to change those coming into next week and hopefully that will contribute to a better result."

McGregor may have been critical in his post-match analysis of Saturday's performance, however he has maintained his faith in the 17 that fell to the Warriors, with the Dragons coach naming an unchanged lineup for Sunday afternoon's game.

In positive news for the side, Korbin Sims has been named in jumper 21 and is an outside chance of making his return from injury.

Despite the recent setbacks, Frizell said the squad is determined to rebound this week, with the side placing extra focus on starting the second half well.

"Moment to moment is probably something we need to focus on, instead of worrying about what we need to do for that whole half," Frizell said. "We need to break it down into small increments throughout our halves.

"We've been focusing on the start of our games and that's been perfect. We thought two weeks ago that was a one-off with that second half, but now it's happened two weeks in a row, we need to shut it down straight away now."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-bounce-back-after-confronting-video-session/