What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Sharks

slippery5

Juniors
I like the fact that Mary has made changes. I am very happy to see the back of Ravalawa and Pearson is a good option.
Robson to the bench is the best of these new selections, excellent to see.
Now for the negative, Lomax to fullback is a worry. He doesn't have the skillset from what I have seen and there will be enormous pressure on him at 1.
He's been barely a passmark at centre.
I think once Norman comes back we move Field to fullback, Lomax back to centre and Aitken out.
Your last sentence is correct but will McNoidea drop Aitken again for Lomax???

blacksafake

First Grade
Yep people have plenty of ideas regarding who to drop but not many solutions about who to promote. Presumably one ‘solution’ would be to pair Norman, provided he is fit, with Field. Seem to remember the Knights targeting Field all game and while Jai tried hard, he made no line breaks, seldom ran and did not direct the team round the park. If Hunt is to go who exactly will replace him as halfback?
Bingo.
I know It’s only been a couple of games but Field imo has a long way to go. Besides his try against the warriors which you’d expect someone with his speed to score in open space he’s done very little. Has provided no help to Hunt in the kicking & organising dept.It’s premature to suggest Field replaces Hunt. Ones a rep quality player & one is nowhere near it.

Paddles

Juniors
Like most, I am excited to see these new players.

My main concern is Mary flipping this switch now in a way that looks a bit panicked. His philosophy for years has been to make no changes unless absolutely forced (see for example Dufty and Lomax's belated chances, not using Field over McCrone and Mann, not giving any fringe forwards much of a go for seasons at a time etc).

I hope it's not panic, and it doesn't affect the team focus too much. It would just be a bit more comforting to see the team working towards something, with incremental changes as they appear needed and competition for positions rather than moving from one extreme to the other.

Anyway, something needed to be done and maybe he's just seen the light and will be hailed as a genius in a week's time. And I like Lomax at fullback, Robson on the bench and Korbin back. OTOH Aitken and Pearson will be tested in defence, and Taz and Friz look like they need a rest.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

My main concern is Mary flipping this switch now in a way that looks a bit panicked. His philosophy for years has been to make no changes unless absolutely forced (see for example Dufty and Lomax's belated chances, not using Field over McCrone and Mann, not giving any fringe forwards much of a go for seasons at a time etc).

I hope it's not panic, and it doesn't affect the team focus too much. It would just be a bit more comforting to see the team working towards something, with incremental changes as they appear needed and competition for positions rather than moving from one extreme to the other.

Anyway, something needed to be done and maybe he's just seen the light and will be hailed as a genius in a week's time. And I like Lomax at fullback, Robson on the bench and Korbin back. OTOH Aitken and Pearson will be tested in defence, and Taz and Friz look like they need a rest.

Don't know about panicked but seems like he got a note under his office door "make changes or we will!"

Agree 100% with the second point, but we needed to change it up and whilst I'm not thrilled about Aitken being back maybe the spell on the bench may have switched his very dim light on. Also Taz and Friz look ragged, but simply we have no-one else to fill in at present. Yes, we could promote one or more of the DS players such as Ford, but our focus has to be on filling the right spots now we have available. Ford, I'm sure will get his promotion to the top 30 next year.

After the last 3 losses, he actually had no choice.
We gave up 2 big leads to not only lose but get beaten easily in the end.
Followed by a 45 - 12 flogging by the Knights with a half time score line of 28-0.
If it was a boxing match, the ref would've stopped the fight.
So making changes was absolutely necessary even if they don't work out.
I'm not expecting miracles but would be happy to at least see some grit and determination.
The problem I see is that our forwards are already cactus.
They are tired and fatigued and they play like they are.
The way McGregor has consistently used the bench has now come home to roost.
The opposition has no fear of our forward pack any more and that is just a consequence of what we have been conjuring up over the last 10 weeks.
So JDB not being there is a convenient excuse but it doesn't explain what is going on.
It's amazing to me how teams like Melbourne can find new guys who fire up and play like their lives depend on it when called up to FG.
We just don't have that any more at St.George.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra to move past de Belin saga as McGregor wields the axe
Dragons Den
r0_179_3500_2155_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Welcome return: Korbin Sims. Picture: Anna Warr.

The St George Illawarra Dragons are determined to put the Jack de Belin drama behind them as they prepare to play out the remainder of the regular season without the representative forward.

St George Illawarra had hoped to rush de Belin back into the team for last Sunday's clash with the Knights, however those plans were dashed when Justice Melissa Perry ruled in the NRL's favour in de Belin's challenge of the no-fault stand down policy.

Dragons players have conceded the ruling was a major blow and played a role in the team's poor performance in the 45-12 drubbing, however they accept it's time to move forward.

"It was a real unknown," Injured forward Jeremy Latimore said. "Everyone was hoping he was going to get off and get back out on the field, because he was a massive part of why we played so well last year and we're missing him out on the field.

"But the court ruled in the NRLs favour, which I don't agree with the stand down policy, he's not going to be there now, we have to move on from that. Now other people get opportunities, we need to step up and take the slack from what Jack's not doing because he's not out there and really own our season."

St George Illawarra will have their first opportunity to put last week's disappointment behind them when they host the Sharks at WIN Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

After promising to make changes following the loss in Mudgee, Dragons coach Paul McGregor has named a rejigged backline for the clash.

Zac Lomax has moved to fullback, with Euan Aitken promoted from the bench to the starting centre position. Fullback Matt Dufty was named in the reserves in jumper No.21 alongside winger Mikaele Ravalawa in No.20. Ravalawa has been replaced by Jonus Pearson.

Promising hooker Reece Robson comes on to the bench, while, in perhaps the biggest gain for the side, Korbin Sims will make his return from injury, replacing Josh Kerr on the bench.

St George Illawarra have lacked grunt through the middle of the field in recent weeks, with starting props James Graham and Paul Vaughan asked to play extended minutes to help cover for the absence of de Belin and Sims.

For Graham, Sims' inclusion will provide the side a major boost against the Sharks.

"I've seen what he can do first hand playing against him," Graham said.

"He has a high aggression rate, he's a very tough sub and hopefully he can get himself back this weekend and do the things that everyone's so excited to see him do."

While some have labelled Sunday's loss as the Dragons hitting rock bottom, Graham prefers to look at this situation as a fork in the road, it will either get better or it will get worse.

Graham is confident the team will take the first of those two options.

"We've got two choices really, you can try and make things better or try and make things worse. There's a lot worse you can go. Individually and as a group, we can try and make things better or try and make things worse.

"What I'm seeing is that I know that we're pretty hurt from the performance how we performed on Sunday. We finished our first training session today and everyone's pretty determined to turn it around."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...elin-saga-as-mcgregor-wields-the-axe/?cs=3713

This Year?

Immortal
Am I dreaming? I cannot believe that team list. No backs on the bench. Good luck to Pearson and I hope Field has a better partnership with Hunt. Interesting to see how Robson gets used. I still think we have too many holes in our defence though.

gitano

Juniors
Mary mother of Dragons finally applying some common sense in calling time on the Lomax centre thing.
But fullback? Please...

Frank Facer

First Grade
you've completely missed the point I'm not suggesting Hunt should be dropped at all.

I'm merely pointing out that Mary clearly has his favourites and won't drop them regardless of how they perform.

A good coach would drop/replace players no matter there marquee if they are not performing I remember when Bellamy dropped Slater to reserve grade. Again I am not suggesting Hunt be dropped not at all but assuring players they will get picked regardless is very silly and creates complacency.
I wasn't even replying to you.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'd say Field will play at 6 again this week.
Lomax will replace Dufty.
Aitken will return to 3 but show us again/still how unsuitable he is for that position.
Pereira is a left winger 2 and Pearson will play at 5.
Timm, Kerr and Ford should come into the side along with K Sims and Robson.
T Sims is injured and needs to recover.
McInnes and James needs a rest.
1. Lomax
2. Pereira
3. Masters
4. Lafai
5. Pearson
6. Field
7. Hunt
8. Timm
9. Robson
10. Vaughan
11. Leilua
12. K Sims
13. Frizell

14. Kerr
15. Lawrie
16. Ford
17. Aitken.
You predicted the backline Mary would pick, before you picked your team. lol

possm

Coach
Bingo.
I know It’s only been a couple of games but Field imo has a long way to go. Besides his try against the warriors which you’d expect someone with his speed to score in open space he’s done very little. Has provided no help to Hunt in the kicking & organising dept.It’s premature to suggest Field replaces Hunt. Ones a rep quality player & one is nowhere near it.
We've seen this before; new man in playing very bland. Don't discount the instructions from Mary.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Origin excuses are just around the corner.

Unlike previous years, I doubt SOO will be an issue. Personally, I feel only Frizzy and Hunt will get a look in.

(And, Tyson will only get selected on reputation only...he is way down on form).’

Sims and Vaughan won’t be picked.

kit66

Bench
Dufty was never dropped last year, he played one game off the bench with Nighty starting.
Lomax never played FB, one 3min game on wing and 3 at centre.
Solid memory/

Yeah, my memory's not great, that's why I qualify with " I think " and " if I remember ", sorry.
OK, dropped to the bench with Nightie to 1 and Lomax to 3, something along those lines. Didn't make the team better. Seems the worse we play the more Dufty gets rag-dolled, doesn't look good, makes him an easy target for fans and coach alike. I can't see that dropping him though is going to improve the team.

jeffdragon

Bench
Noticed that friz was found wanting in defence next to hunt where ponga went through .
Big gaps.
Friz down on form.

Crush

Coach
Don't know about panicked but seems like he got a note under his office door "make changes or we will!"

Agree 100% with the second point, but we needed to change it up and whilst I'm not thrilled about Aitken being back maybe the spell on the bench may have switched his very dim light on. Also Taz and Friz look ragged, but simply we have no-one else to fill in at present. Yes, we could promote one or more of the DS players such as Ford, but our focus has to be on filling the right spots now we have available. Ford, I'm sure will get his promotion to the top 30 next year.
Why is it that we make excuses for players when they are not playing well?
Frizz and Taz look injured or buggered or need a break?
Maybe they are just not playing at 100% because they are playing in a team down on confidence on a losing streak vs a bunch of bottom 8 teams?

George Dragon

Juniors
Yeah, my memory's not great, that's why I qualify with " I think " and " if I remember ", sorry.
OK, dropped to the bench with Nightie to 1 and Lomax to 3, something along those lines. Didn't make the team better. Seems the worse we play the more Dufty gets rag-dolled, doesn't look good, makes him an easy target for fans and coach alike. I can't see that dropping him though is going to improve the team.
Agree it's dosent matter who your backs are if your forwards are getting dominated.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Behind enemy lines: Round 11
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 21 May 2019, 04:20 PM

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks coach John Morris has named his mandatory 21-man squad to face the St George Illawarra Dragons at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, May 26.

The Sharks remain unchanged from their last-start loss to the Sea Eagles, but Matt Moylan (hamstring) has been named in the reserves.

Sharks team: Round 11 v St George Illawarra Dragons –

1. Josh Dugan
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Josh Morris
5. Aaron Gray
6. Kyle Flanagan
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Briton Nikora
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Paul Gallen (c)

Interchange:

14. Blayke Brailey
15. Jayson Bukuya
16. Jack Williams
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele
18. Scott Sorenson
19. Sione Katoa
20. Billy Magoulias
21. Matt Moylan

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/21/behind-enemy-lines-round-11/
thats sure to go well josh morris and bronson xerri versus lafai and aitkin goodnight