What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Sharks

SaintPeter

Juniors
I support the changes and look forward to watching us with a full back who will at least try to tackle.
The thrashing by the Knights was interesting in that from memory we only had the ball for two sets in the first twenty two minutes! And, in one of those Zac dropped the ball in the play the ball.
Rugby League is about possession and we didn't have any.
Any team that has the ball for that long will more than likely win the game.
Keep the errors low boys and I think we can beat the Sharks.
PS, still don't want Aitken in the centers (or anywhere really).

getsmarty

Immortal
Cmon Getsmarty!
Fire up!
The Dragons will own the sharks this weekend.
Its a given. We win four we lose four.
Now we begin the resurgence.

Like your positivity...personally just can't see it...although stranger things have happened....maybe the embarrassing performance last week will cause the players to lift..because McGregor has no clue.

Crush

Coach
Like your positivity...personally just can't see it...although stranger things have happened....maybe the embarrassing performance last week will cause the players to lift..because McGregor has no clue.
I think it will.
They are at home and were embarrassed last week.
New guys getting their shot.
Origin spots up for grabs for the experienced blokes.
Local derby!
I'm sticking with them for one more week. If they get flogged again this week I'll be surprised.

possm

Coach
I support the changes and look forward to watching us with a full back who will at least try to tackle.
The thrashing by the Knights was interesting in that from memory we only had the ball for two sets in the first twenty two minutes! And, in one of those Zac dropped the ball in the play the ball.
Rugby League is about possession and we didn't have any.
Any team that has the ball for that long will more than likely win the game.
Keep the errors low boys and I think we can beat the Sharks.
PS, still don't want Aitken in the centers (or anywhere really).
I feel sure Lomax won't use that hand spray this week. It showed on the replay that the ball stuck to his hand when he was trying to play it.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
He'd better be ready to cover all Aitkens misreads in defence,because that's where the sharks will be heading.
For this game, we need to have one of the Sims boys on the right edge. Hunts defence has greatly improved.

Mary needs to instruct Aitken not to run in to cut off play; just mark your man and Hunt and Sims will take care of those inside you. Pearson will be an improvement on the right wing.

Yes and Lomax will cover the last line of defence.

watatank

Coach
Development players can NOT play FG until after June 30.

Yeah but if we really wanted one of our development players in first grade we could just promote them to the top 30. We have a couple of open spots and it's already happened a couple of times this year at other clubs already.

denis preston

First Grade
For this game, we need to have one of the Sims boys on the right edge. Hunts defence has greatly improved.

Mary needs to instruct Aitken not to run in to cut off play; just mark your man and Hunt and Sims will take care of those inside you. Pearson will be an improvement on the right wing.

Yes and Lomax will cover the last line of defence.
Remember why Bennett first took over he took the squad to a camp and they did all sorts of teamwork exercises based on trusting their team mates.These drills stop players from thinking they have to make the glamour play and rush up in defence etc. Trust your inside man to do his job and you do yours. Rav, Aitkin & Pereria should have been there !

George Dragon

Juniors
Yeah but if we really wanted one of our development players in first grade we could just promote them to the top 30. We have a couple of open spots and it's already happened a couple of times this year at other clubs already.
But until that is done it is pointless picking them in your team.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I like the look of this squad. Glad Pearson is on the wing. They loose the speed in Dufty but get it with Pearson as he is just as quick. About time Lomax got a run at Fullback. Robson on the bench is also another great move. I bet an back gets injured early and Saints have no cover and resort to a backrower playing in the backs and gets exploited......Knowing our luck. Mary will then justify this move and revert back to having a back on the bench.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra 2019: Graham finds silver lining to Newcastle thumping
Dragons Den
r0_0_4114_2840_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IT was the low point of their season but Dragons veteran James Graham says his side can take a slither of inspiration from their disappointing loss to Newcastle - ironically in the performance of the Knights.

The 33-point win over the Dragons at Mudgee was the Knights fourth on the trot. It was barely a month ago that Nathan Brown's head was on the chopping block after five straight losses.

One of those defeats came by a single point to the Dragons in golden-point. That victory was the second in a four-game winning streak for Paul McGregor's side.

They've followed it up with four consecutive defeats ahead of Sunday's clash with Cronulla but Graham said Newcastle's run is a reminder of how quickly things can change.

"I think on the positive spin, we know we can go and win four games in a row, because we've done it, we know what we're capable of," Graham said.

"You look for inspiration from other teams, you look at Newcastle.

"Yeah we played them five weeks ago, we knew they were a good team then. They played well, it was 13-12, look where they've got to now.

"I don't see any reason why we can't do something similar. Obviously we're not looking five weeks down the track, we're focusing on this weekend's game."

Graham admits he was left baffled by the performance against Newcastle, one that prompted McGregor to wield the big stick in the selection room.

It's certainly put the side on notice ahead of the clash with the Sharks, with Graham saying he's not complacent about his own place in the 17.

"I'm all in, even myself," he said.

"If [McGregor] for whatever reason doesn't think I'm performing to the standard that he expects for the team, if he was to drop me, than i'll have to take that like a man.

"There's probably a number of reasons as to why. Probably the reason why everyone's so frustrated and so down about the performance is we know we're a lot better.

"We know that we were way better than what we dished up on the weekend. That's probably the main reason why people are down, why the criticism is coming.

"Even externally, we know we're a lot better with the players and the squad and coaching staff, we're a lot better than that.

``What I'm seeing is that we're pretty hurt from the performance and everybody's pretty determined to turn it around."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-silver-lining-to-newcastle-thumping/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
KICKOFF: Off-field dramas a different kettle of fish for NRL players and coaches
Dragons Den
r0_0_3916_2611_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STORMY WEATHER: Dealing with matters like the ongoing Jack de Belin saga takes a different toll on players and coaches like Paul McGregor, than the other hurdles NRL seasons typically toss up. Picture: Adam McLean

LAST week Dragons coach Paul McGregor said his squad and his club were looking for some "closure" on the Jack de Belin saga.

He wasn't the only one. We in the media had asked about the issue more than we ever wanted to.

The Dragons have backed de Belin to the hilt but, like the rest of us, had no idea which way the federal court verdict would fall on Friday.

When it did, fairly emphatically in the NRL's favour, it wasn't the outcome the Dragons were looking for. Looking at their performance against Newcastle on Sunday, it didn't bring a whole lot of closure.

People took a very literal view of McGregor's post-match comments that his side had "expected" de Belin to play against the Knights. In reality it was more a hope then an expectation.

There certainly wasn't a game plan based around his return. McGregor and his staff have spent a lot more time this season making plans around not having de Belin then having him.

The players have all spun the "no excuses" line. They have to, but James Graham did admit that the verdict "probably did knock the wind out of a couple of people's sails."

It was all too apparent that it did. The desired outcome would have been a morale boost. It stands to reason the opposite put a dent in it. It also illustrates the different challenge such matters pose for coaches and players compared to injuries all clubs deal with each each season.

The Dragons have dealt with their fair share. Gareth Widdop has been out since round three and won't be back until the finals - if they get there.

They've also been without Tyson Frizell, Korbin Sims and now Corey Norman, at different stages. It's creeping up on half the club's cap.

Still, Manly have been without Daly Cherry-Evans and Tom Trbojevic for a large chunk of the year and are still 6-4 and running fifth.

Sure, they had to deal with Dylan Walker's stand-down. Walker's "I'm back baby" carry-on in front of watching media at training last week suggests he still doesn't realise the gravity of the situation he found himself in, but he was never facing the sort of long-term uncertainty de Belin and the Dragons are dealing with.

Cronulla have been without a host of stars and have still pulled off some big against-the-odds victories. None have seemingly derailed their season to extent the de Belin drama has the Dragons.

A look to the past shows players accept injuries are part and parcel of their profession. However, when players perceive injustice - rightly or wrongly - it's a much different battle.

It's one the Roosters and coach Trent Robinson learned back in 2016, a year that began without their skipper and No. 7 Mitchell Pearce after his infamous drunken Australia-Day shenanigans.

Todd Greenberg admitted last weekend that the NRL "overcooked" it's sanctions of an eight-week suspension and $120,000 fine.

You can bet Robinson and Pearce's teammates felt the same. With James Maloney the obvious exception, their roster that season was very similar to the one that took the Roosters the three previous minor premierships.

They started the season not just missing their halfback, but with the whole saga, and everything it brought, hanging over them. They ended up up in a 1-7 hole and couldn't climb back out.

2016 now seems an aberration in an otherwise five-year period of excellence. It just shows the toll such matters take. The added scrutiny, the questions his teammates faced week after week about something they had no say in or certainty about.

It wasn't just de Belin's on-field return his teammates were hoping for, it was an end to all that. They'll be hoping the questions Graham fielded on Tuesday prove their last lap around that course.

Korbin Sims returns this weekend, while the eventual return of Norman and hopefully Widdop are other morale-boosters the club has in the holster.

They just need to stay in finals battle long enough to make sure they're not bullets ultimately fired from a popgun.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-of-fish-for-nrl-players-and-coaches/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Former St Helens prop James Graham to hit appearance milestone
image.jpg

James Graham
John Yates
Email
Published: 10:51 Wednesday 22 May 2019
Share this article
Few Rugby League players have made as big an impact Down Under as former Saints' ace James Graham.

It was a calculated gamble when the 33-year-old Maghull-born prop opted to forgo the chance to play in St Helens' new multi-million pound state-of-the-art stadium and take on a new and daunting challenge.

Graham, who had come through the Knowsley Road junior ranks, was only in his mid-twenties when he signed for Canterbury Bulldogs.

But he took what at the time was a massive and life-changing decision and has never looked back since, becoming a cult figure during his time in the NRL and a hero to thousands of Australian fans who took him to their hearts from day one.

Now he is on the threshold of making his 400th domestic career appearance in the colours of his latest club, St George Illawarra Dragons - 225 of which were totted up as a St Helens player between 2003 and 2011 and the remainder in Oz.

Saints' skipper James Roby who, like Graham started his rise to the top at Blackbrook ARLC, said: ''Jammer has had a fantastic career and I loved playing along side him at Saints.''

Barring injury or suspension, he will bring up his 400th game at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium against North Queensland in round 15, pipping Melbourne's Cameron Smith to that milestone.

Told he was set to beat Smith to the 400 club, in typical Graham fashion, he played down the achievement.

“I’m not in a race with anyone,” he said

Of more pressing concern for Graham is breaking the Dragons’ recent poor spell of form.

The England and Great Britain international said: “The frustrating thing from our perspective is we know we’re better, we know we’re capable of more,”

“We’ve showed that. If we were deadbeats and no-hopers we’d just accept it and move on and play next week and not really care.

“We are hurting and we want to do something about it.”

Graham is off contract at the end of next year and is still highly respected by his teammates.

Dragons' flyer Matt Dufty said Jammer had earned enough respect that he always listened to what he had to say and his work ethic and passion had rubbed off on him.

“I look up to James, he’s been everywhere and done everything,” Dufty said.

“If he says something, I’ll listen. It is a bit like big brother/little brother. He gets angry at me for stuff when he knows I can be better. I listen because that’s just the respect I have for him.”

https://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/...-graham-to-hit-appearance-milestone-1-9782233