What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs Sharks

j0nesy

Bench
I don’t mind these changes. Rav has made a lot of mistakes since round 1. Dufty, unfortunately has struggled with kick returns. I still think the coach has missed the root cause in failing to rest some of our clearly exhausted pack. Admittedly the bench looks better, so I’m happy to reserve my judgement on that if he uses the bench we’ll.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Really like the look of this team, it has more balance imo.

At last there is no back on the bench, finally the penny drops.

Now, in saying all that there has to be some warning that we need to accept:

1. Lomax first game at fullback, he will need time to adjust from playing everywhere from wing, centre and in the forwards.But his bigger body and stronger running will benefit our forwards more. expect him to be peppered with high balls. I hope he's been practicing this.
2. Pearson has very good pace and if in the clear would be put away the glasses, but, he is the leader in CC for errors made. His running back wont have the same impact of Rava but definitely smarter and quicker.
3. K. Sims will be tentative imo, needs to ease into the game, coming from the bench will allow that.

The bench looks so much better now.
K. Sims and Leilua as props looks good to me. Leilua has been a revelation in the middle since moving there imo, add the aggression of K. Sims and we hopefully wont lose momentum.
I still say Hosty is playing injured but he hasn't been dropped so maybe confidence down, but having go forward props will benefit his running game more.
Now that Robbo is on the bench it would give McInnes a rest or be able to move either to an edge forward role, again which better serves our type of game. McInnes could even move to lock to cover for Lawrie when he needs a spell with Robson at hooker.

So much more options and balance, well done to numb nuts for finally seeing the light, well at least for 1 game anyway.

Dragonslayer
Hopefully Mary will use the bench as you have suggested. You have nailed it. Lomax has been practicing a fullback during training for a lot of the year. Hopefully he will get a go at it for a few weeks

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Last year Dufty got badly manhandled in a couple of games ( that we lost ) and he was dropped for Lomax at fullback I think it was - that didn't go well if I remember, Lomax played poor positionally and made a few errors. We later reverted back to Dufty at 1 and Lomax 3 and that's the way I'd prefer it to stay. You can't blame Dufty for a poor team performance. Having Dufty and Field on the park together should be lethal if the forwards were firing and Hunt had more time and room to take advantage of it.
Great to see Pearson and Robson get a shot though, won't fix our problems but will give them some good experience.

getsmarty

Immortal
Behind enemy lines: Round 11
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 21 May 2019, 04:20 PM

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks coach John Morris has named his mandatory 21-man squad to face the St George Illawarra Dragons at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, May 26.

The Sharks remain unchanged from their last-start loss to the Sea Eagles, but Matt Moylan (hamstring) has been named in the reserves.

Sharks team: Round 11 v St George Illawarra Dragons –

1. Josh Dugan
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Josh Morris
5. Aaron Gray
6. Kyle Flanagan
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Briton Nikora
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Paul Gallen (c)

Interchange:

14. Blayke Brailey
15. Jayson Bukuya
16. Jack Williams
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele
18. Scott Sorenson
19. Sione Katoa
20. Billy Magoulias
21. Matt Moylan

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/21/behind-enemy-lines-round-11/

kit66

Bench
I don’t mind these changes. Rav has made a lot of mistakes since round 1. Dufty, unfortunately has struggled with kick returns. I still think the coach has missed the root cause in failing to rest some of our clearly exhausted pack. Admittedly the bench looks better, so I’m happy to reserve my judgement on that if he uses the bench we’ll.

Ravalawa was on the improve in some areas but still a few weeks in reserves could be good for him. One area he really needs to improve is coming in at the right time to give the forwards a break, he's a big boy and should be doing a lot more hit ups like Nightie and Nene did.

Crush

Coach
I like the fact that Mary has made changes. I am very happy to see the back of Ravalawa and Pearson is a good option.
Robson to the bench is the best of these new selections, excellent to see.
Now for the negative, Lomax to fullback is a worry. He doesn't have the skillset from what I have seen and there will be enormous pressure on him at 1.
He's been barely a passmark at centre.
I think once Norman comes back we move Field to fullback, Lomax back to centre and Aitken out.

since77

Juniors
Dragonslayer
Hopefully Mary will use the bench as you have suggested. You have nailed it. No Max has been practicing a fullback during training for a lot of the year. Hopefully you'll get a go at it for a few weeks

Fullback also happens to be Lomax’s preferred position. Should be his position for the rest of the year.

getsmarty

Immortal
indigenous.png

INDIGENOUS ROUND

Importance of Indigenous Round not lost on Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 21 May 2019, 04:49 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons look forward to celebrating the significance and importance of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and history, with National Reconciliation Week quickly approaching (May 27 to June 3).

The highlight of the Dragons' recognition will be the club's Round 11 Indigenous Round clash against the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at WIN Stadium on Sunday, May 26.

Players will wear a specially-designed jersey which carries meaning and significance to our traditional custodians.

The Dragons are excited about promoting and celebrating the significance of our national and local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples' culture.

The Dragons are excited because we will bring together many community groups and expose our fans, members, players, ex-players and staff to real experiences through many cultural activities.

We would like to share the poster below with our members, fans and schools ahead of this weekend's Indigenous Round and the forthcoming National Reconciliation Week.

indigenous.png

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/21/importance-of-indigenous-round-not-lost-on-dragons/

possm

Coach
I like the fact that Mary has made changes. I am very happy to see the back of Ravalawa and Pearson is a good option.
Robson to the bench is the best of these new selections, excellent to see.
Now for the negative, Lomax to fullback is a worry. He doesn't have the skillset from what I have seen and there will be enormous pressure on him at 1.
He's been barely a passmark at centre.
I think once Norman comes back we move Field to fullback, Lomax back to centre and Aitken out.
Lomax will do well at fullback. He will make fullback his own.
I've called for him to be at fullback for a while.
I've also called for Pearson and Robson to come into the side.
I just wish Mary would have given Timm a spot in the team, maybe in place of Graham who appears to be injured.

I look forward to see how the above players and our team in general perform next Sunday.

Crush

Coach
Lomax will do well at fullback. He will make fullback his own.
I've called for him to be at fullback for a while.
I've also called for Pearson and Robson to come into the side.
I just wish Mary would have given Timm a spot in the team, maybe in place of Graham who appears to be injured.

I look forward to see how the above players and our team in general perform next Sunday.
What about Lomax makes you think he's a fullback?

possm

Coach
What about Lomax makes you think he's a fullback?
I've seen him play fullback in the lower grades and he stood in for Dufty for some minutes a couple of times. To me Lomax seems to have the height and weight that suites the fullback position. He also has speed and the ability to take a high ball as well as a good pass. Lomax can kick in general play and kick goals.

I'm excited to seem him at fullback this week.

Crush

Coach
I've seen him play fullback in the lower grades and he stood in for Dufty for some minutes a couple of times. To me Lomax seems to have the height and weight that suites the fullback position. He also has speed and the ability to take a high ball as well as a good pass. Lomax can kick in general play and kick goals.

I'm excited to seem him at fullback this week.
I haven't seen him do any of those things (other than kick goals) but I will take your word for it.
Hope he possesses the skills you say he does.

George Dragon

Juniors
Last year Dufty got badly manhandled in a couple of games ( that we lost ) and he was dropped for Lomax at fullback I think it was - that didn't go well if I remember, Lomax played poor positionally and made a few errors. We later reverted back to Dufty at 1 and Lomax 3 and that's the way I'd prefer it to stay. You can't blame Dufty for a poor team performance. Having Dufty and Field on the park together should be lethal if the forwards were firing and Hunt had more time and room to take advantage of it.
Great to see Pearson and Robson get a shot though, won't fix our problems but will give them some good experience.
Dufty was never dropped last year, he played one game off the bench with Nighty starting.
Lomax never played FB, one 3min game on wing and 3 at centre.
Solid memory/

Saint Pedro

Juniors
Giving McInnes a break , who makes an Everest of tackles every game, with a nifty cheeky hooker in Robson will be the game changer for our attack. Broncos fans really rated Pearson so he will be interesting too. The bash brothers in the sims boys will be make both lift . Get The wingers to follow the edge forwards for an offload and field to trail Leilua, boom. Should I send this to Mary ?

Latest posts