What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 vs the Dragons

The Realist

Juniors
I have just got home from the game. We won that game by dominating St George physically. After about 20 minutes our forwards got on top, and by the end of the game St George were absolutely crushed. I struggle to remember us ever having such a physical side across the park, but especially in the forwards - every single one of one of our forwards is excellent. Our team in 2003 didn't have what this side has in the forwards. It is really a sight to behold.

I disagree here. The 2003 pack was outstanding. Whilst not many of that pack where 'Elite' over the course of their entire careers they were all in peak form at the same time that year. Lang hit the ball up like RCG late last year, Big T and Go Joe terrorised the edges much like Billy Kikau. Waterhouse had an absolute break out year better than the best we have seen from Yeo so far. Clinton and especially Ross had outstanding seasons and could easily match it with this years Merrin and Tamou. Nearly every member of that entire forward averaged somewhere between 100-145m per game the entire season. Offensively that pack was a step or two ahead.

The biggest difference is the defence. 2003 defence was at times indifferent but they muscled up when they needed to. This 2018 team SCARES the shit out of the opposition.

betcats

Referee
I disagree here. The 2003 pack was outstanding. Whilst not many of that pack where 'Elite' over the course of their entire careers they were all in peak form at the same time that year. Lang hit the ball up like RCG late last year, Big T and Go Joe terrorised the edges much like Billy Kikau. Waterhouse had an absolute break out year better than the best we have seen from Yeo so far. Clinton and especially Ross had outstanding seasons and could easily match it with this years Merrin and Tamou. Nearly every member of that entire forward averaged somewhere between 100-145m per game the entire season. Offensively that pack was a step or two ahead.

The biggest difference is the defence. 2003 defence was at times indifferent but they muscled up when they needed to. This 2018 team SCARES the shit out of the opposition.

Give this current pack a year they will get there. Take out Merrin and Tamou and it is a very young forward pack.

Anyway I really like seeing Yeo spend time in the middle, he handles it really well physically and adds a bit of speed and skill. Also Dallin went for like 260m again lol he has an error in him but he is brilliant at the back covering ground and getting to kicks on the full, I love watching him run the ball.

Cleary and Maloney looked good out there the are meshing well.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
I just watched the match replay (love rewatching a good win). Certainly better than watching the Knights being flogged.

One thing that was interesting - often the case when watching replays rather than live games - is how you don’t get the same sense of the game on TV.

In particular, watching the TV the extent of our physical dominance didn’t shine through in the same way.

Anyone who wasn’t fortunate enough to see last night’s game live at the ground - rest assured that it wasn’t just a good win, we crushed St George physically.

tripster

Juniors

Don’t get me wrong - our 2003 pack was immense (you don’t win GFs otherwise) and could make yards. That’s a huge part of the reason why our attack was so good.

However I don’t think that pack had the same physicality and attitude in defense as what we now have. We managed to muscle up for the GF, but our defense always had my heart in my mouth the whole season.

We conceded 527 points, had the worst defense of the top 4 by a mile and the 2nd worst defence of the top 8. We finished first that season on the back of our attack.

Last edited:

TeamSatan

Juniors
We were good.

Nobody seems to mention Egan playing dummy half better than any fullback ever has. Great kick to gift RCG a try.

Yeo playing backrow better than any centre ever has killing them in the middle.
Why we didnt put peach on the bench and leave Yeo in the centre amazes me.

Even if the Dragons brought Jason Robinson out of retirement and cloned him as the pocket ref we still would have won. Maybe???

We are brutal.

Pomoz

Bench
We were good.

Nobody seems to mention Egan playing dummy half better than any fullback ever has. Great kick to gift RCG a try.

Even if the Dragons brought Jason Robinson out of retirement and cloned him as the pocket ref we still would have won. Maybe???

We are brutal.
Brutal. I like that. We really do smash the crap out of teams, win, lose or draw. Merrin, RCG and JFH set the tone and Kikau and Hethrington keep the aggression going when they come on. I notice if we have kept the tempo up, Tamou seems to lift. He feeds off the energy.

Kilkenny

Coach
We were good.

We are brutal.

Who could forget Jason Robinson a local Cambridge Park boy.

Jason would have done the business for the Dragons assured. Don’t quite know what his problems were with the Panthers just sort of felt because he was a local he felt the need to ensure he wasn’t seen as having a local bias. If this was the issue he went way over the top because he generally caned in the penalty count each and every time he officiated one of our games.

franklin2323

Immortal
Give this current pack a year they will get there. Take out Merrin and Tamou and it is a very young forward pack.

Anyway I really like seeing Yeo spend time in the middle, he handles it really well physically and adds a bit of speed and skill. Also Dallin went for like 260m again lol he has an error in him but he is brilliant at the back covering ground and getting to kicks on the full, I love watching him run the ball.

Cleary and Maloney looked good out there the are meshing well.

The 03 team was very young too. All our old guys got hurt and never returned. Had 3 20 year olds a couple of 22 year olds. Had the experience in the right positions though

tripster

Juniors
The incident was quite different. Team mates already had hold of the other leg, and the player suffered a groin injury as a result. The club should fight this charge.

I completely agree. I paid attention to it on the replay and there was absolutely nothing in it. It is bizzare he was charged. Someone at the MRC has their eyes on Hetherington as a result of his existing record with the judiciary. Seems to me a biased charge.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
I completely agree. I paid attention to it on the replay and there was absolutely nothing in it. It is bizzare he was charged. Someone at the MRC has their eyes on Hetherington as a result of his existing record with the judiciary. Seems to me a biased charge.

People here are being biased because he plays for us. If this was against us you'd all be blowing up. He randomly pulls the guys leg up to his ear after the held call. He deserves a charge for it and it's only different to the Cameron Smith one in result.