What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs. Raiders Discussion + Voting

unbreaK

Juniors
4 current QLD Origin players
1 former QLD origin halfback
1 former blues origin halfback
2 Kiwi internationals

= a bottom 4 team (well not quite, F & A keeps us above the others. Equal in points)

What.....the.......hell

Quite pathetic really.

Had a couple of line breaks and there was no support at all! I think that says it all. It's like we don't expect to make a line break so no need to support. That's where players like Billy Slater, Hayne, Dugan are worth their weight in gold. They are ALWAYS backing up, sniffing for the offload.

When will change be made? When the crowd attendance drops below 20k? Losing money seems to be the only way they'll take notice.

Let's just go with 4 origin players and 13 club players.

Big Pete

Referee
Another nail in the coffin.

First half was unacceptable. The lack of support on the Wallace and Norman break was BS. Boys needed to fight and they gave up too easy allowing Canberra to take a 24 point lead.

We played better in the second half but I get the feeling the Raiders were coasting on their substantial lead. Regardless, it still ended up being a 12-6 second half to us and that's after a very suspect try to Dodds. Don't like the fact we won the penalty count and still lost, says a lot about how poor we're playing when that happens.

Not going to bother with a replay so will just give the votes now.

3. Corey Parker
2. Justin Hodges
1. Corey Norman

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Well, glad I slept through that bullshit. To be honest, I think this was the best possible result for us. Griffin must be walking on eggshells by now and to a lesser extent, Gee.

Eddy

Juniors
Unacceptable first half followed by a slightly better second. We have the talent to be a top 10 team but we don't seem to have a clue right now.

I thought our defense was actually ok for the most part but we had some absolute shocking brain fades that let the side down. 4 of the 5 tries we let in were pretty soft.

In attack we have no idea what to do once we get within 20 meters of the goal line. We have one set play which can be seen a mile away. Where are the forwards running into gaps? Hell, where are the forwards running onto the ball full stop? Someone needs to work with Macca on some set plays close to the line that don't involve a long, slow dummy and a dive at the line.

I know we don't have many options but surely Granville needs to be reconsidered off the bench. If Hannent is back then we should start with Benny & McGuire, move Thaiday to the backrow and Glenn off the bench.

I think what we're seeing is what many of use expected at the beginning of last year post-Locky. We look to really lack a leader to organise the troops and keep a level head when we let in a try or two.

Reidy87

Juniors
Honestly how is Gillett in the origin team..? Sure had a good game on Wed but at club level has been ordinary for a long time, missing tackles, letting in tries and standing flat footed. Tonight he let in two tries, rushed out of the line (presumably for a big shot) and slipped arse over, the missed a simple cover tackle on Canberra winger for another try.

Also, Thaiday is about as lazy and unfit as they come, should be playing 30mins as an impact bench forward, not captaining what is supposed to be the proudest side in the NRL. Still can't fathom his appointment over Parker (marketing and contractual reasons over performance obviously).

broncoman

Juniors
I'm not gonna bag the guys for their efforts I know they try their best every week but they fair dinkum look like they just met each other. I feel sorry for Parker and Hodges in particular, week after week they are a class above their sub standard team mates.

I don't know about anyone else but I feel this is going to get worse before it gets better, we hardly have a crop of good young players coming through and the ones that look ok are developing bad habits in this side.

Coz87

Juniors
I was at the game tonight and I feel we are not going forward we go sideways Crocker was all over Hodges however we kept going there. Parker was best for us then Prince and joshy mac. I really like Joel Edwards and also edrick Lee played great should be on our shopping list. Edwards would cheap and a big strong winger would be great.

beads6

First Grade
It is a shame that it has come to this. Feels like we have to get worse to get better.

Missed the game but from what I've heard, Norman whilst decent in attack was fairly soft in most other aspects? Play him at 6 or drop him to Qcup ffs and bring in whoever they have in mind for next year. The only reason I can think of that they haven't is because they are planning on buying someone...

unbreaK

Juniors
Also, what's the go with J Wallace? I was told he played something like 9 mins?

Excluding Gillett, our metres gained from our bigs wasn't bad last night, we certainly matched Canberra's go forward, the thing that seperated us from them was our defense being close to the worst in the NRL at the moment, and Campese and McCrone being 10 times better at executing 5th tackle plays than Prince and Wallace.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
9 mins? I didn't notice it was that short at the time. I did notice him, though. Strong runs and some good tackles. Made at least one good covering tackle to save a linebreak. Good player.

A lot of hate for Gillett. I thought he played well. Most young players are quiet in their club game straight after Origin. Bad decision on Campese but that'll happen from time to time.

69 mins
16 runs for 113m
4 tackle busts
22 tackles
2 offloads
No penalties or handling errors

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Also, what's the go with J Wallace? I was told he played something like 9 mins?

Very strange considering we aren't really fielding any true front rower. Shouldn't the coach be bringing on someone like Wallace - who has the physique of a classic front rower and giving him as much as time as possible?

One of my greatest frustrations at the moment is watching Sam Thaiday. He is NOT a front rower, and looks very, very ordinary at present. Last night he was almost embarrassing and was absolutely owned.

Very strange considering we aren't really fielding any true front rower. Shouldn't the coach be bringing on someone like Wallace - who has the physique of a classic front rower and giving him as much as time as possible?

One of my greatest frustrations at the moment is watching Sam Thaiday. He is NOT a front rower, and looks very, very ordinary at present. Last night he was almost embarrassing and was absolutely owned.

Exactly, we're complaining that we don't have enough "big bodies" but one of the ones that we do have, only plays 10mins...makes little sense.

Tera

Juniors
A lot of hate for Gillett. I thought he played well. Most young players are quiet in their club game straight after Origin. Bad decision on Campese but that'll happen from time to time.

Gillett has the most missed tackles in the NRL even ahead of Sandow and what do we do? Put him next to Prince in defence, genius.

Latest posts