What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 - Cowboys vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 15th August 5:30pm @Queensland Country Bank Stadium

Yes, I am referring to you.

Paulo, clearly is not first grade material, if he is not ready at this stage of his career he won't ever be, the way he got turned around by the opposition winger speaks volumes about where he currently is in his development. That was school boy stuff I'm afraid.

After tonight performance I'm a Gagai fan. He's strung some good games together, unfortunately Souths start playing some good teams now so.....bye bye bunnies after tonights performance I don't think Souths can progress any further.
I think you're referring to me.
Though it wasn't necessarily that I'd prefer to see Paulo at centre.
I would prefer to see Gagai on a wing where i believe he's better and would have more influence on a game with his kick returns and finishing ability.
I've always been in the same camp as Trav that Gagai should be seen nowhere near the centres and banished to the wing for life. However, I must admit he has impressed me in his most recent stint there and hasn't done a lot wrong in my opinion.

My biggest problem with him in the centres has always been his defensive reads and efforts, he used to make at least a couple of bad reads and an arm slap or too a game but he seems to have improved these dramatically recently.

Also he seems to be offering a lot more in attack there these days. 7 tries in 7 games is something he has never done for us either at wing or centre. Plus he has also been involved in setting AJ up for quite a few tries recently as well.

Like you assess5 I believe he's starting to win me over as a centre and I hope his improvement continues.

I wouldn't write Paulo off yet, he is only 20 and still has a lot of development in him. He was apparently very dominant in our premiership winning Jersey Flegg side last year, but it is a big jump to first grade and he is obviously not quite ready. It's a shame that there is no NSW Cup this year because I believe he could really benefit with a few weeks back in the lower grade.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Haha how funny.. i turned it off after the Cows scored go make it 30-24 and thought yeah itll be 36-24 or something by the end, here we go. That's when I made that comment.
My mate who was watching on Kayo actually informed me that Souths had won. Like I said, will love the team until I die, have a tattoo and all the merch etc.. but God its frustrating to watch. We can blame it on whatever we want but the fact is we won't beat the top teams in the competition to win the premiership. Idk if its brown paper bag stuff getting around to the officials and the whole thing is rigged or we just aren't all performing to our potential.. is it coaching strategy, tactics, over coaching, under coaching, diet, fitness... experience? Idk... farout its frustrating.
Ill admit we have a new fullback which in the modern game is one of the most if not the most important position to play, but still.

I hate when Burgess runs the ball.. he has been good, but everytime he runs it i just wince. If he got a head of steam up and ran hard and fast he would absolutely skittle blokes. In saying that he was solid. But still, I don't like him as our frontrower but that's just my opinion.

Sorry if all that didn't sound logical or rational again it was just my opinion. Just frustrated at the team I love, I just want them to be #1 like we all do lol
Well at least they realised that the left side shift is the way to go, and all their tries they scored, they easily broke down the defense. Problem tonight was we kept making dumb stupid unforced mistakes.
The refereeing didn't help either, he was smashing us in the first half, and then wouldn't call any set restarts in the second

Yeah it was him. Actually he had 2 big carries in that last set, the second he made 10-15, then another 10 post contact metres and then offloaded and they got another 10. He got Adam into field goal range. He was probably Souths best forward.

We kept shooting ourselves in the foot with all the mistakes. Almost all their tries were from our mistakes, but we were easily able to break them down when we had the ball, so at least that was something to be encouraged about.

Not wanting to pile on but man Cook is playing BAD, it's the worst I've seen him

Yep, I just rewatched that last set and they were 2 massive carries, both 15 plus metres with more than 10 of those post contact. Plus the offload on the second which led to another 10 to 15 metres.

Stepped up and delivered when the game was there to be one. This kid is gonna be a good one.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Yep, I just rewatched that last set and they were 2 massive carries, both 15 plus metres with more than 10 of those post contact. Plus the offload on the second which led to another 10 to 15 metres.

Stepped up and delivered when the game was there to be one. This kid is gonna be a good one.
Definitely.
How old is he? 21 or 22? He's not even fully developed or hardened yet.

callmack1

Staff member
Woweee that was a nail biter!! An absolute rollercoaster of a game but I'm so stoked to get the win in such a crucial game. getting the two points there was really, really important at this stage of the Season. Not happy with how we played though and to be completely honest, I don't think we deserved to win that game. However, you have to give full credit to the boys and I am so friggin proud of the boys for the way they never gave up and through everything, somehow found a way to get the win. There is no give up in this team and to come away with the two points in that scenario is certainly something to be happy about.

Our attacking play was great tonight I thought. The boys had no problem making meters, we were able to roll up the field relatively well and put ourselves in good field position time after time which was pleasing. The offence close to the line was impressive too, we looked super dangerous, asked plenty of questions of the Cowboys defence and scored some brilliant tries. I'd almost say that when we got up that end and put ourselves in a good position, we were almost able to score at will, thus was the potency of our attacking plays. Some beautiful tries scored down that left edge in particular. So yea, these parts of the attack were certainly on.

What was not on was our ball handling and this is what almost cost us the game once again. We slipped into old habits and started dropping balls all over the place again, seeing a poor completion rate and huge pressure coming our way at times. It seemed that we would do everything we could to let the Cowboys back in after we scored because we'd just start to get on top and then we'd make a really poor error to let them back in. This made tonight's game a real rollercoaster because our errors made it so up and down. If we had a good completion rate tonight and we didn't keep letting them in with mistakes, I feel that with the way we were attacking, we could have steamrolled them. It's simply not good enough that handling and I'm sick of it.

We were found wanting on defence tonight. The boys were doing really well with that run of possession North Queensland had in that first half, we went about 15 minutes without barely tounching the ball but yet we were still able to turn them away. Apart from that little period, I thought defence on our own line was very poor, we cracked far too easily, far too often. Some of their tries were very soft and some of the defence I saw out there was simply not good enough. Again though, I feel this comes back to our errors. I feel that the Cowboys should have never been in some of the positions they were but we just kept letting them in and we couldn't defend our errors, hence the see-saw game.

Mitchell: Latrell had an off night tonight. Was far less involved and struggled to inject himself. He did have some nice touches in attack in the lead up to a few of our tries but that was about it from him tonight. He really struggled under the high ball too. Latrell is always going to have the odd game like this but I just hope he can bounce back next week to prove that it does only happen in the odd game.

Johnston: Scored two tries through two beautiful finishes so credit to him there but apart from that, I thought he was average tonight. Just a really low involvement as he didn't do a lot to help the forwards through taking hit ups. Also, really poor defence for Morgan's first try. Morgan should have never have scored that with the amount of players we had to cover but it was some real arm grabbing stuff from AJ. He also made an error which lead to Dunn's try. Certainly a tough catch but a try cause none the less.

Graham: Cammy was pretty solid I thought. He had some really nice runs and looked pretty dangerous, he also did the hard yards well coming out of our own end. Scored a great try through a nice hole run off a crash ball from Cookie and I remember him making a brilliant try saving tackle in the second half (can't remember who it was on). An error and a poor effort to compete for the ball on one of the Cowboys tries were the only real blemish on his performance tonight.

Gagai: Gags was a little quiet in this one too actually. He did score brilliant team try and had some pretty solid hit ups but his output wasn't where it has been in the past this year. Along with AJ, he also contributed to Michael Morgan's first try due to some poor arm grabbing defence.

Paulo: It's hard to be harsh on inexperienced kids but yet another member of the backline who was off tonight. He just barely got involved, hardly even came in to take a hit up. Was also bamboozled by the Hammer for his try. Jaxson is a better player than what he showed tonight.

Walker: Wasn't his best game but I thought he was still pretty good. Was trying really hard and was creating plenty of opportunities out there. Combined well with Reyno and he had a pivitol hand in many of our tries, most noteably a brilliant try assist for AJ's first four pointer. I thought he was great on defence too, coming up hard and being aggressive which was good to see. He did have two poor handling errors but that was the only times he put a foot wrong all night.

Reyno: Brilliant game from the ice man, our skipper, certainly our best tonight. Outstanding play for his try to recognise that no one was home at the back, chip over the top, get there and then put it down for a great try, that was awesome. He controlled our attack really well all game too. Reyno was often the one to get the move started and he played really direct and played really square which helped to draw the Cowboys defence in. His kicking game (goal kicking included) was on song and he was good in defence. When we really needed him to step up in the dying moments, he delivered big time but slotting that penalty goal from a difficult position to draw us level and then to win the game in a clutch moment.... That field goal was incredible, he has ice in his veins our Reyno! Great game skipper!

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Pretty solid game from Junior as he just kept on with the things he's been doing consistently well all year. Ran hard, tackled hard, no errors. He helped to march us up the field through a strong running game and that's all you can really ask from a front rower I guess. What's more, he played a crucial role in icing the game too as it was Junior who provided the quick play-the-ball to give Reyno time to slot the field goal.

Cook: I'm actually not too sure how to feel about Cookie's game tonight. Part of me thinks he played really bad because he didn't do much except make a couple of really stupid errors, kill a few of our attacking raids through hesitation and fail to stop Morgan for his second try. But then I take a step back and realise that he wasn't actually too bad. Cookie was once again great on defence, super busy there. His service as a whole was pretty good and he provided a brilliant pass for Graham to score. So yea, I'm not really sure what to make of his performance but me being unsure like that is probably not good as we obviously need more from him.

Burgess: Not a standout game for Tom but that doesn't mean he was bad. He was very solid in fact. Didn't seem to play as many minutes by my reckoning but in the minutes he did play he did a great job. Just charged on forward in every run and he bent the line everytime. Just a good, consistent performance from Tommy tonight.

Su'A: Jaydn was also pretty solid in his return game and he didn't put a foot wrong. Ran with purpose, was safe defensively and tried his guts out.

Murray: Cam was pretty good. With the way our forwards have stepped up this year, we saw tonight that it now works quite well to have Murray start on an edge and then shift to the middle. We didn't lose anything with Cam starting on the edge. Anyway, Cam was good. He wad some great runs where he almost poked his nose through and he was then able to generate momentum through that quick play-the-ball of his. The high work rate continued all game. Love his link play in that middle third too.

Knight: I was unsure as to how Knighty was gonna go at lock again but he really stepped it up and played pretty good. He was really aggressive with his running and he was busy all night. Just kept going and going in both his stints. Some nice offloads on show again too, I really think Knighty did a great job to help our pack lay the platform. I do feel his defensive dicipline could have been better though. It was his crusher tackle (which wasn't that bad) which changed the whole momentum in the game the Cowboys way and we never fully recovered from that.

Nicholls: Compared to his recent form, Nicho was quiet tonight. I can only remember one of his runs to be honest.

Sironen: Had a few good runs but was mainly quiet as well. Rushed up out of the line unnecessarily and missed the tackle in the lead up to Morgan's second try.

Mago: Limited minutes for big Pati tonight but he was just as effective as always. Provided some great go-forward off the bench.

Koloamatangi: What a great performance from Keon!! He was a beast out there! In every one of his hit ups, he seemed to simply carry defenders with him or swat them away like it was nothing and he did that all night too. Super effort in both attack and defence. His run in that final set is a massive reason why we won. It looked like Reyno was going to have to take a tough long range shot but then Keon stepped up and make a massive 15 meter run as well as coming up with a brilliant offload to give us more meters and a quick play-the-ball which eventually lead to a seamless field goal. That is one of the runs of the year from Keon there.

So yea, tough game for us that's for sure. So friggin stoked to get the win, especially to win the way we did when it looked like the result would slip away from us. The boys have to be given massive credit for getting that win in the circumstances they did but I hope we also know that overall, it wasn't a great performance from us tonight. A lot to work on and hopefully improve moving forward.

truthslayer

Juniors
Tatola: Pretty solid game from Junior as he just kept on with the things he's been doing consistently well all year. Ran hard, tackled hard, no errors. He helped to march us up the field through a strong running game and that's all you can really ask from a front rower I guess. What's more, he played a crucial role in icing the game too as it was Junior who provided the quick play-the-ball to give Reyno time to slot the field goal.

Cook: I'm actually not too sure how to feel about Cookie's game tonight. Part of me thinks he played really bad because he didn't do much except make a couple of really stupid errors, kill a few of our attacking raids through hesitation and fail to stop Morgan for his second try. But then I take a step back and realise that he wasn't actually too bad. Cookie was once again great on defence, super busy there. His service as a whole was pretty good and he provided a brilliant pass for Graham to score. So yea, I'm not really sure what to make of his performance but me being unsure like that is probably not good as we obviously need more from him.

Burgess: Not a standout game for Tom but that doesn't mean he was bad. He was very solid in fact. Didn't seem to play as many minutes by my reckoning but in the minutes he did play he did a great job. Just charged on forward in every run and he bent the line everytime. Just a good, consistent performance from Tommy tonight.

Su'A: Jaydn was also pretty solid in his return game and he didn't put a foot wrong. Ran with purpose, was safe defensively and tried his guts out.

Murray: Cam was pretty good. With the way our forwards have stepped up this year, we saw tonight that it now works quite well to have Murray start on an edge and then shift to the middle. We didn't lose anything with Cam starting on the edge. Anyway, Cam was good. He wad some great runs where he almost poked his nose through and he was then able to generate momentum through that quick play-the-ball of his. The high work rate continued all game. Love his link play in that middle third too.

Knight: I was unsure as to how Knighty was gonna go at lock again but he really stepped it up and played pretty good. He was really aggressive with his running and he was busy all night. Just kept going and going in both his stints. Some nice offloads on show again too, I really think Knighty did a great job to help our pack lay the platform. I do feel his defensive dicipline could have been better though. It was his crusher tackle (which wasn't that bad) which changed the whole momentum in the game the Cowboys way and we never fully recovered from that.

Nicholls: Compared to his recent form, Nicho was quiet tonight. I can only remember one of his runs to be honest.

Sironen: Had a few good runs but was mainly quiet as well. Rushed up out of the line unnecessarily and missed the tackle in the lead up to Morgan's second try.

Mago: Limited minutes for big Pati tonight but he was just as effective as always. Provided some great go-forward off the bench.

Koloamatangi: What a great performance from Keon!! He was a beast out there! In every one of his hit ups, he seemed to simply carry defenders with him or swat them away like it was nothing and he did that all night too. Super effort in both attack and defence. His run in that final set is a massive reason why we won. It looked like Reyno was going to have to take a tough long range shot but then Keon stepped up and make a massive 15 meter run as well as coming up with a brilliant offload to give us more meters and a quick play-the-ball which eventually lead to a seamless field goal. That is one of the runs of the year from Keon there.

So yea, tough game for us that's for sure. So friggin stoked to get the win, especially to win the way we did when it looked like the result would slip away from us. The boys have to be given massive credit for getting that win in the circumstances they did but I hope we also know that overall, it wasn't a great performance from us tonight. A lot to work on and hopefully improve moving forward.
It was a game you kept throwing things at the tv. I thought the referee was terrible, as was souths.
Cook is just not doing it some very bad basic errors from him in the game. And Latrell every time he has a highball to contend with sends you into panic , terrible game from him, Koala was great, Reynolds also, it was a game I never want to watch again. Nicholls was showing improvement but his game was average as for that clumsy effort to regather. A few players that need to re focus on their job.

handyman2190

Bench
Cook knocks on at base of scrum with 7 1/2 mins to go, I was so frustrated that I went for a walk.
You did better than me, my heart rate doubled and i was cursing big time,the wife said careful youll give yourself a heart attack, going for a walk is the better option, yes we didnt deserve to win, they played better, it was like watching a cat playing with a mouse, we gave them trys.

assess5

Juniors
There's a foundation there to built on. Still needs a bit of polish but definitely some talent.

AJ 5 years ago could've become elite. Finishing has never been an issue for him.

Alerts are to notify you that someone has reacted to your post, like me replying here.

Similar to when someone sends you a message on your phone and you get a notification to let you know.

When you quote someones response, that is you replying to them.

Does that help?

Yep, thanks

assess5

Juniors
I've always been in the same camp as Trav that Gagai should be seen nowhere near the centres and banished to the wing for life. However, I must admit he has impressed me in his most recent stint there and hasn't done a lot wrong in my opinion.

My biggest problem with him in the centres has always been his defensive reads and efforts, he used to make at least a couple of bad reads and an arm slap or too a game but he seems to have improved these dramatically recently.

Also he seems to be offering a lot more in attack there these days. 7 tries in 7 games is something he has never done for us either at wing or centre. Plus he has also been involved in setting AJ up for quite a few tries recently as well.

Like you assess5 I believe he's starting to win me over as a centre and I hope his improvement continues.

I wouldn't write Paulo off yet, he is only 20 and still has a lot of development in him. He was apparently very dominant in our premiership winning Jersey Flegg side last year, but it is a big jump to first grade and he is obviously not quite ready. It's a shame that there is no NSW Cup this year because I believe he could really benefit with a few weeks back in the lower grade.

In the last silly season I started a post in which I stated playing centre to be the most difficult of all position, for a number of reasons. I can only refer you to that. I agree with your comments regarding Gagai's improvement.

I am of the opinion that you learn all the basics of rugby league when playing as a child, that is, for example, a boy learns to tackle properly as a boy, thrusting your head into somebodies pounding legs can be frightening and best learned at that age when perhaps the legs aren't so fast and the sidestep so wide. We all know there is only three ways of tackling.
When Paulo missed that opportunity to stop the opposition winger from scoring that try were Paulo got turned inside out, that showed a glaring hole in Paulo's defensive technique, I think it's to late to train an improvement into his technique.

Hey, I've been wrong before so lets wait and see, lets talk again this time next year and see if Paulo is still in firsts, somewhere.

callmack1

Staff member
Player of the Game - Round 14: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/08/16/player-of-the-game-round-14/

Couldn't go past Reyno here. Captain's knock!

Liam Knight charged by Match Review Committee: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/08/16/liam-knight-charged-by-match-review-committee/

Tough call for Knighty but at the same time, I guess it's fair enough. We almost always see those tackles charged and if he didn't have loading, he'd be okay. Should take the early plea and cop a week. The way he's been playing that's a pretty big blow.

Also, after watching the replay I just sat there in awe of that last set we had leading up to the field goal, it was incredible work from our forwards. I really thought Cookie killed it with some hesitation but thank god for a couple of big runs from Tatola and Koloamatangi. Fantastic work!!