What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 V Dragons

Doomednow

Bench
With this team named and the drag queens missing the players they are we have no excuse to not win this. Not saying it will necessarily be easy, but by all indications it should be in the bag.

In the past this would mean we were certain for a loss, but this year I'm starting to develop some confidence, god help me.

Looking forward to playing a full strength opposition with this side and seeing how we do.

TheFrog

Coach
I cannot recall when we were ever quoted at $1.20 to win any game, let alone against the Dragons.

Panther Pete

Juniors
In the past this would mean we were certain for a loss, but this year I'm starting to develop some confidence, god help me.

I am with you on this, normally this weekend would have alarm bells ringing for me however I am also confident we have turned a corner and will win. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

soc123_au

Staff member
Our forwards really need to make a statement this week. Benchi & Widdop are getting better each game. Give them no platform to work with & we should be fine. Dragons will need to be at their best to win, but the game has the potential to be tight.

Pomoz

Bench
We will be tired from travelling to the Gold Coast and enduring a tough forward battle against the Titans. I expect us to be a bit flat. The loss of Dugan and Merrin helps us though.

thommo4pm

Coach
We'll be competitive for the first 20 minutes and then slowly fade away.

Dugan, Merrin, Morris, Stockwell, Farrell all out....too much of our strike power not available.
Dan Hunt not being available is a bonus, but we have Harrison on the bench which works for you guys.

I think you'll probably get us by 14-16 in the end.

Sime_11

Juniors
cmon 5 straight plz!!!!

anyone know how many tickets have been sold for this game or what kind of crowd we can expect?

Panther Pete

Juniors
Does anyone know how long it's been since we've won 5 in a row? Not counting chickens before they've hatched, just curious....

murraymob

Coach
normally it wopuld be a game of huge concern given penrith always lose when expected to win.But with Soward being hungry against his old team.Cartwright hungry to play first grade i think there will be enough to get us over the line

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
nervous for this one.. think you boys will put a number on us..

hopefully not, but given respective spots on the ladder, origin commitments & the fact soward will be out to show us up (i shudder thinking about what he did to the roosters on anzac day 2009)..

but.. lets hope its a good game overall, with the chocolates going to us :)

maple_69

Bench
If you exclude Round 1 of this year, which doesn't count for much, this is the first time we have led the competition since Round 5 2004. Over a decade.

If you exclude Round 1 of this year, which doesn't count for much, this is the first time we have led the competition since Round 5 2004. Over a decade.

I remember that game. We beat Melbourne at home. We smashed the Roosters the week before.

We then got toweled up in Round 6. Guess who smashed us??

Dragons.......

Kilkenny

Coach
Looking forward to all three games this weekend. I love it when all three grades our at home even more so when we are travelling well in all three.

TheFrog

Coach
I remember that game. We beat Melbourne at home. We smashed the Roosters the week before.

We then got toweled up in Round 6. Guess who smashed us??

Dragons.......

In 1967 we played the Dragons at Penrith. It was our 4th game in the premiership, our 2nd home game. They had Raper, Gasnier, Langlands, Clay, King, Smith, etc etc. They had won the last 11 premierships. We were a side that had been put together mostly from discards. The scoreline of Penrith 24-12, 4 tries to 2, flattered the Dragons. I remember, I was there, in (on) the original uncovered grandstand. The Dragons had won 7 premierships since the last time a team had scored that many tries against them. It was a major, major embarrassment for the great St George club. One they would not forget in a hurry.

From then on, they regularly thrashed us. 25-2 later the same season. 37-8 in '68. 31-7 in '69, 31-7 in '72, 37-15 in '79, 36-12 in '80, 40-6 in '84 (breaking a 6 game winning streak) and on they went.

It was not until our 22nd season that we finished a season ahead of them on the ladder. But it hasn't all been bad. A 25-19 win after trailing 19-0 after halftime in 1975 was a highlight, as was the first meeting between the teams in a finals match at Penrith in 2004. A red hot and rather complacent Dragons side didn't decide to play until 15 minutes before halftime, already behind 24-0, but nonetheless looked certain to win midway through the second half, in the end a monumental defensive effort gave us a 1 point win 31-30. I maintain that the '04 Dragons were among the best teams to be eliminated in one game in a finals series, they just had trouble getting their minds on the job early on.

When I'm watching this game on Saturday, I'll be thinking of all those hidings they gave us when we were in a position similar to what they are in now, and hoping we can return the favour in the most emphatic manner.

Last edited: