What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 V Dragons

Puntastic

Juniors
We've played good enough, which is the important thing.

Discipline has been a tad low. I suspect a bit of complacency.

Segs has been fantastic, but is the comp leader for penalties against and should be addressed going forward.

Our forwards should have steamrolled the queens. Again, could be complacency/possession, but isn't ideal. Their pack was awful light (creagh was prop). To be fair, Peachy, Segeyaro and Taylor probably stole a fair bit of thunder.

Carty's touch in a real critical moment shows he's really up to grade in attack (not enough to be sure about defence).

We should sue newcastle fans for false advertising re: Naiqama. Nabuli isn't in the long term interests of this club (the feel good media stories were nice enough), so I hope the DWZ charge is contested. I hope that when he's available he is our #1 priority.

I'm perplexed by the decision to take Carty off when we're ahead... yet bring him on in the first place while the game was in the balance.

But, all in all, a win is a win and we've played okay. Complacency was an obvious issue, our forwards didn't dominate a pack that had Creagh as a prop, and we altogether didn't dominate a rather ordinary side. I hope this is a bit of an anomaly, otherwise we're in for a wake up call in 2 weeks time.

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
That was f**king awful, in my opinion. We should have f**king trounced them. 60 per cent completions? Get f**ked.

How about we get our head in the game and actually respect the opposition every week?

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
We've played well.

Like hell we did.

Moylan, Mansour, Naiqama, Segeyaro, Yeo all dropping the ball cold. Moylan with the chance to wind the game down gets stripped of the ball. Segeyaro with a bunch of penalties. So many crappy shallow bombs in moderately dangerous positions. Wallace with a few missed tackles etc.

It was woeful. And Cartwright comes on, does everything right, and gets taken off again almost immediately.

Last edited:

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Ivan will have to be very careful to not damage Cartwright's confidence

That's what I don't get; he throws him on at 12-10, a very sensitive time of the game, he sets up what is ultimately the game-winning bust, doesn't make an error, looks totally the part, and then he gets taken off and we plod to a shitty finish.

Pomoz

Bench
That's what I don't get; he throws him on at 12-10, a very sensitive time of the game, he sets up what is ultimately the game-winning bust, doesn't make an error, looks totally the part, and then he gets taken off and we plod to a shitty finish.
Ivan gets paid to make the big calls and it's his job on the line, not us armchair warriors. We won, his decisions are vindicated. Young Carty looks like he is the business. After watching Blake in NSW cup and taking into consideration DZW, Yeo, Jennings and Regan Campell Gillard, we have a brilliant future ahead of us. We were poor tonight, but we still rolled the sleeves up and did the tough stuff to get across the line. We looked flat (trip to Gold Coast probably doesn't help) and a bit complacent, but our defence and toughness got us across the line.

Good teams win ugly. Last year we would have lost that game.

Last edited:

Puntastic

Juniors
Like hell we did.

:lol: sorry, I fixed my comment to read "good enough".

Also cant understand the timing of Carty's appearance (despite it paying off in attack) - the minutes per interchange seem wasted (his 15ish minutes cost 2 interchanges after all).

I'm chalking up a lot of errors to complacency, but hoping we can fix a lot in two weeks.

Still, we glide into a bye as #1, and I'm happy with that :)

Pomoz

Bench
Ivan will have to be very careful to not damage Cartwright's confidence
Cartwright has so many people pumping his tyres and peeing in his pocket, he has a permanently wet leg and a monster truck. Confidence is not his problem, he is a Macleans boy.

What about his offload? He made the try taking two players out with one pass. The kid will be a star as long as he doesn't get over confident and start slacking.

forby

Juniors
Yeeha! 9 from 13, 5 straight, top of the table, NSW Cup first, and NYC in the eight!
Great to be a Panther fan!
(Although one would never know it from reading this forum!)
I think IC knows what he is doing with Bryce, and we'll reap the rewards in the future.

Gong Panther - I am in Shanghai for work! This is the one home game I miss this year. Always try to listen to the games when away, last week I listened from Tainan.

chrisD

Coach
Saints were decent in the first half and we had little luck a few mistakes and penalties and came in handily in front. The second half was a blur of wtf.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Ivan gets paid to make the big calls and its his job on the line, not us armchair warriors. We won, his decisions are vindicated. .

I think we can just take it as read that your response to any criticism of anything Cleary does is going to be alone the lines of "He is the coach and he knows what he is doing" so that you don't need to waste your time repeating yourself.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Yeo continues his magic touch. 6 from 6 when he plays.
We Maintain our no.1 position.
Good cameo from Bryce. Bought on to win the game then taken off till next week.

Puntastic

Juniors
Still stumped re: Carty.

i thought he was brought on far too early, when the game was in the lurch, only for him to prove that he can peform (in attack, tbf he wasn't tested in defence enough) under pressure. Then Cleary hooked him when we were far more comfortably ahead - i.e. exactly when you'd be confident and want a junior introduced.