What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 - v Manly

Old Timer

Coach
Lawrie could be playing some minutes because Flanno has him in the shop window and hoping some team will be impressed and somehow speak to his manager to get him over to them. The only issue with this theory is that you need the player to play well to get them interested. He would be great in the English Super League. Maybe that is where they are hoping will get some interest to get him over.
1718319634425.png

Harry Bath

Juniors
Unfortunately as most already know on here Lawrie hits the defensive line and just caves in...doesn't attract many defenders because they know he goes to ground quickly and has a very slow play the ball.....has zero leg drive and doesn't have an offload in him.....it's disappointing as it seems he's a very good club man but imo hasn't developed the way most thought he would.....the pace of club games today is almost Origin like and blokes like Lawrie are struggling to be effective...
He needs to do a Trent Merrin.

Old Timer

Coach
What has happened to Brown I thought he was our 14?
A complete dud buy.
Manly have huge 120 kg Props in Paseka and Sipley then throw in Olakau atu at Brooky, if dragons can win this one then they are on the right track
You are correct and if they get a roll on Lawrie will be a liability giving away penalties and 6 agains.
I rate Bullemor off their bench as well as he provides real impact.

Gardenia

Bench
I still think Flanno is playing with fire by not having a utility on the bench. We were dangerously close to losing Liddle mid-game last week and seeing Luciano in the halves all game long. As good as Luch is I think we could conceivably have lost that game in that case
Oh Absolutely.

Gardenia

Bench
Beating Manly at WIN doesn’t count, that’s 2 points every year. They are truly jinxed at WIN, did you see how Turbo played that day? Some little kid had a voodoo doll of him and stabbed it every time he got the ball.
What the actual BEEEP did I just read?

A little kid had a voodoo doll and was stabbing it?

That's seriously messed up

I didn't realise Chucky supported the Dragons.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Our path to final 8. Assuming we win all our home games except Penrith one and we lose all our away games except Eels, we end up with 32 points. Of course we have to fix our for and against.

vs Manly away (L)
Bye
vs Dolphins home (W)
vs Roosters away (L)
vs Broncos away (L)
Bye
vs Panthers home (L)
vs Storm away (L)
vs Bulldogs home (W)
vs Titans home (W)
vs Sharks home (W)
vs Eels away (W)
vs Raiders home (W)

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I wouldn't be surprised if Haumole is a late out since calf injuries can linger on for a few weeks.

Massive game considering the whacky season with a few teams bunched up on the ladder. We have a great opportunity to get into the top 8 with a win.

I like Luch off the bench, hope he reverts to the bench role once again.

since77

Juniors
Our path to final 8. Assuming we win all our home games except Penrith one and we lose all our away games except Eels, we end up with 32 points. Of course we have to fix our for and against.

vs Manly away (L)
Bye
vs Dolphins home (W)
vs Roosters away (L)
vs Broncos away (L)
Bye
vs Panthers home (L)
vs Storm away (L)
vs Bulldogs home (W)
vs Titans home (W)
vs Sharks home (W)
vs Eels away (W)
vs Raiders home (W)
tough run home!

I can see us at best winning 6 and at worst winning only 2.
The Manly game is must win IMO otherwise we're done.
If Flanno gets us to the finals in year one that would be a colossal achievement. Not sure we can get there this year.

maestro1

Bench
As much as I hate losing, Flanno has already achieved and surpassed my success marker for season 2024. I explain this with the words that I crave Penrith like dynasties, but with some reality and perspective, Flanno has done a fantastic job.
When you consider he came in with at least BHunt, Lomax, Bud Sullivan requesting numerous release requests. The team was way behind the 8 ball as far as fitness, strength, stamina, resilience, footy IQ, etc. He quickly got rid of the imposters posing as NRL 1st Graders. He told some players some home truths and improved every remaining squad member (Lawrie & Rav ... Probably not). He was able to bring in some quality signings in a terrible market. Has us at over 50% wins (7 wins and 6 losses) at the halfway mark. Taken our Origin representation from 1 player to 3 players. I don't know how it wasn't 4 players as Blake Lawrie proclaimed he wanted Origin selection for season 2024. I still can't believe he uttered those words. (Pink text). Our defence is arguably better, at least in the games we turn up for. Our attack is still clunky but vastly improved. The only regression I can see is with our kicking game. However, we have shown in some games it is quite good. We just need to make sure that KFlan and Hunt and Marske focus and don't let our kicking game falter in games.

maestro1

Bench
As much as Ricky Stuart is a perpetual winger, he highlighted in his presser what is the problem with the 6 again rule. He mentioned the inconsistencies from one period of the game to another and for one team or another.
In the past officials could make a contentious call in fewer areas of the game, like a try scoring moment or a forward pass or an obstruction, etc. These were minimal moments in games. Now, the 6-again rule means the officials are making calls on every play the ball. It has taken the officials mainly being a critical spectator if the game/play to potentially influencing every play. In the past they were more of a babysitter, now the officials should almost come into calculation for a teams 3, 2, 1 points and MVP calculations. Some of them could now almost feature in the Dally Ms

Dragon David

First Grade
As much as Ricky Stuart is a perpetual winger, he highlighted in his presser what is the problem with the 6 again rule. He mentioned the inconsistencies from one period of the game to another and for one team or another.
In the past officials could make a contentious call in fewer areas of the game, like a try scoring moment or a forward pass or an obstruction, etc. These were minimal moments in games. Now, the 6-again rule means the officials are making calls on every play the ball. It has taken the officials mainly being a critical spectator if the game/play to potentially influencing every play. In the past they were more of a babysitter, now the officials should almost come into calculation for a teams 3, 2, 1 points and MVP calculations. Some of them could now almost feature in the Dally Ms
Yes Ricky is a good whinger but his whinges carry weight most of the time.

I'd rather see penalties awarded rather than 6 bloody agains. You can sort of predict that the refs will give those extra tackles particularly when a team is defending close to the attacking teams line. It gets worse of course when they give multiple ones. I think they love 6 agains.

The refs can determine the outcomes of games with the rules that is for sure. Their role playing on the field should result in points being awarded and the winner wins the Ben Cummins Medallion.

TheRev

Coach
Already surpassed my expectations also, havent been rewarded with signings unfortunately.. but cant do much more.

No point stressing about Top 8 or whos playing who in 3 weeks time..and whos out for origin.. it is what it is.. if we pull off tomorrow we will deserve to be in the 8, but making finals is a long way off.