1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 15 Vs Broncos

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Gold_Coast Dragon, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

What's worse is they never gave him any game time so how would they ever find out how he would best serve the Team?
    The number of times he was left pondering his future on the bench was terrible.
    Often came on for less than 10 minutes and a few times (if I am not mistaken) did not get to play at all.

2. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

Getting rid of McGregor after nearly 7 years is akin to "shutting the gate after the horse has bolted".
    The damage has already been done on so many fronts.
    I agree that Young has no qualifications as a head coach and has shown very little potential as an assistant coach as well.
    Still don't understand why Hornby was singled out and turfed and not Young as well and yet here we are.
    His one and only point of reference in terms of mentoring has been McGregor and the coaching philosophy which has failed so spectacularly.
    So membership on hold until a top line coach is installed with a clear and uninterrupted mandate to lead the team forward.

Gareth67, Mjab, blacksafake and 3 others like this.
  3. Crush

Crush First Grade

I think Young is trying to win games of football.
    It is what it is. Surely we can look at it and all say that we would do the same in his position.
    "Blooding" new players for 2021 and beyond now is high risk if winning is your objective.
    Its obviously less affected in a normal comp with reserve grade competitions being played.
    Do you think we should leave Tyson Frizell out for the rest of the year now because he has signed on with another club for next season?
    Should all bottom 6 teams now throw in their juniors, drop anyone leaving the club and look purely to next year?
    Its professional sport and is about winning. Win more games get more sponsorship etc.
    I just think Dean should get a few weeks to do his thing before criticism is thrown around.
    You never know, maybe he gets the best out of Norman, Aitken? Maybe he doesn't. We will know in a few weeks.

Gareth67, SBD82, Dragon David and 4 others like this.
  4. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

Let’s see if we can do the work for their new coaches by unlocking the key to Aitken & Frizzell being better players and whilst doing that try and convince / fool ourselves again over the value / potential of Norman and all the while learn absolutely nothing about their prospective replacements.

No need to worry about Dragon footy when Dragon philosophy is alive and well and of course the rest will look after itself.

LINESPEED likes this.
  5. Crush

Crush First Grade

So would you drop Frizell for the rest of this season?
    Should the Broncos drop David Fafita seeing as he wont be there next season?

6. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

If
    If I had a player on my books I needed to find out about as to whether he’s got it or not and whether we keep him or not then I wouldn’t even blink.

I’m not saying you have to blood these young blokes for the entire 6 weeks but some game time is imperative IMO.

Far better IMO to blood them against teams of similar ability / position on the ladder rather than Storm and Raiders.

Mjab and LINESPEED like this.
  7. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

We want to win so you put your best side on the field. If those that are leaving don't want to perform drop them. We need to give Blacker and Sailor some game time if we are wanting to keep them. I MO
    Young wants to win he will try to get his side on the field.

8. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

I actually cant wait for the game. I will never tire of beating the Broncs after St George can't play. Lets hope we absolutely flog them.

Gareth67, blacksafake, Runner and 5 others like this.
  9. Forbes Creek Dragons

Maybe if we had a coach with a few years on his contract or even if Mary minus the selection panel was there, maybe they would try a few players but in the current situation its never going to happen. Especially given we are still a mathematical chance of the 8 albeit would pretty much need to win every game and have other results go our way. With three very winnable games coming up I would be pissed off if we didn't at least go down swinging.

blacksafake and Dragon David like this.
  10. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

It will be interesting to see what people say if we run conservatively and lose a game or 2?

All of a sudden the conservatives will ark up and say why didn’t we do this.

Many here criticise the club, coach, game plan etc when we continually lose and underperform but when given the opportunity to change that become conservative and quote mathematics and scenarios as fanciful as those of the coach they wanted sacked.

11. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

ALSGI and blacksafake like this.
  12. SAP58

SAP58 Juniors

Will be interesting to see how Dean Young uses his bench. Will he only use 3 of the 4 like McFool did constantly.

Gareth67 likes this.
  13. Forbes Creek Dragons

People will always find something to whinge about. Im not stating my opinion of what I think should happen I'm just putting myself in Dean Young's shoes.

Gareth67 likes this.
  14. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

Vaughan flies straight in from bio breach
    • NRL
      [​IMG]
      Paul Vaughan will return for St George Illawarra against Brisbane after an NRL biosecurity breach.
      Dean Young will bring Paul Vaughan straight back into St George Illawarra's NRL side against Brisbane despite not seeing him since his biosecurity breach.

Vaughan did not train with the Dragons on Thursday as he awaited the results of his COVID-19 test, before being granted approval to return to their bubble.

It means the first time he will see teammates since his cafe breakfast breach two weeks ago will be at the airport on Friday, ahead of the team's flight to Brisbane.

But interim coach Young said he would have no hesitation in bringing him back off the bench and confirmed he will be in the team.

"I have been in contact with him a fair bit," Young said.

"He has been hooked up on zoom (teleconferences) so he hasn't missed any video sessions or meetings we have had this week.

"He's going to come off the interchange.

"I don't want to set him up to fail by starting in a game where he has been away from the team for the past two weeks.

"Our performance staff have done an incredible job working with him this week and I will see him at the airport."

It mean youngsters Blake Lawrie and Josh Kerr will keep their starting spots after impressing Young in last week's win over Parramatta.

Jacob Host will also start in the back row with Tyrell Fuimaono losing his case at the NRL judiciary, while Trent Merrin comes onto the bench.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6888266/vaughan-flies-straight-in-from-bio-breach/?cs=7486

blacksafake likes this.
  15. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

24-hour warning: Round 15 v Broncos
    Author
    Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
    Timestamp
    Thu 20 Aug 2020, 07:55 PM

St George Illawarra interim coach Dean Young has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 15 clash against the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Friday, August 21.

Tyrell Fuimaono's suspension has seen Jacob Host elevated to the starting team and Trent Merrin come on to the bench. Eddie Blacker will be the other player to make way from Tuesday's initial 21-man squad.

Friday night will be Young's first outing as coach of the Dragons following Paul McGregor's final game in charge of the club, a 14-12 win over the Parramatta Eels.

"I consider the opportunity to coach the St George Illawarra Dragons for the remainder of our 2020 campaign as an absolute honour," Young said.

"There were many positives to take out of the Parramatta win last weekend but it's important now that we compete against the Broncos as we did the Eels.

"As a whole, I'm really looking forward to finishing the year strongly, with the process beginning this week to ensure we reach a level of consistency that will make our Red V members, partners and fans proud."

NRL squad for Round 15 v Brisbane Broncos –
    1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
    2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
    3. Euan Aitken– sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
    4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
    5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
    6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
    7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
    8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
    9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
    10. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
    11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
    14 Jacob Host – sponsored by St.George Bank
    13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
    15. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness
    16. Korbin Sims – sponsored by TripADeal
    17. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
    18. Trent Merrin – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
    19. Tristan Sailor
    20. Brayden Wiliame

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/20/nrl-team-announcement-round-15-v-broncos/

ALSGI likes this.
  16. True_Believer

True_Believer Juniors

Who "quoted mathematics"? What are the "fanciful scenarios"? Of those who disagree with your view I've only seen facts and realistic interpretations of the situation. Like Forbes, I've only seen people be realistic about the situation and look at it from Dean Youngs point of view.

So maybe just stop building straw men and labelling people in an attempt to create some sort of argument.

Gareth67 and SBD82 like this.
  17. Crush

Crush First Grade

It'll be interesting to see what people say if the Dragons fire and those players people want dropped play well.
    It works both ways OT.

SBD82, blacksafake and True_Believer like this.
  18. Dragon_psa

Dragon_psa First Grade

Daddy.

Dennis Papaioannou likes this.
  19. Eatons Hill Dragon

Eatons Hill Dragon Juniors

Four middle forwards now on the bench, doesn’t make sense.
    McInnes plays 80 minutes so that means we have 6 other middle forwards all trying to fit into 160 minutes of footy.
    If Vaughan plays 55 minutes which he normally does that’s down to just over 100 minutes by 5 now.
    20 minutes each.
    Will there be a late change.

harryzaco likes this.
  20. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

Good enough 17 to towel up the Broncos in their current state. 4 forwards on the bench is probably right for this game given the dirth of forwards the opposition has to deal with.
    Should be very interesting.

blacksafake and getsmarty like this.