What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 Vs Broncos

Old Timer

Coach
It'll be interesting to see what people say if the Dragons fire and those players people want dropped play well.
It works both ways OT.
Indeed it does and I would be more than happy to say I got it wrong.

However I am not instantly going to change my opinion on those that I think can’t play and now say they can.

If I thought they deserved to be dropped before I am not going to give them an instant reprieve just because Young is now the coach.

Old Timer

Coach
Who "quoted mathematics"? What are the "fanciful scenarios"? Of those who disagree with your view I've only seen facts and realistic interpretations of the situation. Like Forbes, I've only seen people be realistic about the situation and look at it from Dean Youngs point of view.

So maybe just stop building straw men and labelling people in an attempt to create some sort of argument.
Some people saying it is mathematically possible to make the 8 and IMO that is fanciful and reminiscent of similar previous quotes by career coach.

You claim you and Forbes see it from Young’s view well quite frankly nobody really knows what that view is and thus far from a selection point of view that appears very familiar.

Re looking for arguments lol I am merely expressing a strong point of view after enduring a long period of aimless and mindless selections and football.

True_Believer

Juniors
Some people saying it is mathematically possible to make the 8 and IMO that is fanciful and reminiscent of similar previous quotes by career coach.

You claim you and Forbes see it from Young’s view well quite frankly nobody really knows what that view is and thus far from a selection point of view that appears very familiar.

Re looking for arguments lol I am merely expressing a strong point of view after enduring a long period of aimless and mindless selections and football.

But it is mathematically possible to make the 8. It's a stretch, but it's still possible. So nothing wrong with stating a fact.

You can make some pretty educated guesses on how Young is approaching the next 6 weeks given he has a chance to secure a coaching position. It would be suicide for his career if he were to select un-tried players in his team "just to see how they perform". I find it hard to believe you wouldn't do the same if you were in his shoes.

Anyway, the facts are that he hasn't gone down your preferred path of making wholesale changes to the team. And I can understand why.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I want to see if Young has a different flight path rather than the usual 5 hit ups and go for pot bomb.

We will then find out if Mary was the problem or he was a major part of the problem

Old Timer

Coach
But it is mathematically possible to make the 8. It's a stretch, but it's still possible. So nothing wrong with stating a fact.

You can make some pretty educated guesses on how Young is approaching the next 6 weeks given he has a chance to secure a coaching position. It would be suicide for his career if he were to select un-tried players in his team "just to see how they perform". I find it hard to believe you wouldn't do the same if you were in his shoes.

Anyway, the facts are that he hasn't gone down your preferred path of making wholesale changes to the team. And I can understand why.
So you are ok with Young being in the running?

I’m certainly not ok with that and find it staggering that anyone could be thus my consternation re what is potentially happening.

If he is coaching for his potential appointment then I do understand why he might (emphasis on might) do what he is doing but I am of the belief he isn’t in the running and wonder why knowledge of players in our ranks is such a bad thing.

IMO we have pissed such opportunities up against the wall many times over and suffered accordingly.

Re the technical accuracy of the raw mathematics I find it amazing that people hang onto it as some justification for doing very little and hoping that very little is now good enough.

True_Believer

Juniors
So you are ok with Young being in the running?

I’m certainly not ok with that and find it staggering that anyone could be thus my consternation re what is potentially happening.

If he is coaching for his potential appointment then I do understand why he might (emphasis on might) do what he is doing but I am of the belief he isn’t in the running and wonder why knowledge of players in our ranks is such a bad thing.

IMO we have pissed such opportunities up against the wall many times over and suffered accordingly.

Re the technical accuracy of the raw mathematics I find it amazing that people hang onto it as some justification for doing very little and hoping that very little is now good enough.

?

Not sure why you've asked that as I've already told you that I don't think Young should get the job. However I do understand why he's potentially in the running as all current temp coaches are considered for the head coach role (and historically that has been the case throughout the NRL).

However, and I'll dot point this in the hope it makes it clearer for you to understand:

• Young has been nominated caretaker for the next 6 weeks
  • Young is in the mix to be appointed the head coach role for next year (as Ryan Webb has stated in his interview that he can throw his hat in the ring when the time comes).
  • Irrespective of whether it for a career with us or someone else, it is an opportunity to impress
  • Young has not selected any new players - and given the above points I can understand why
You can be outraged all you want - it's not going to change these facts. What is your outrage/consternation/indignation going to achieve?

I'd say he already has knowledge of the players abilities - but if he doesn't get the position, what value does that add?

Old Timer

Coach
?

Not sure why you've asked that as I've already told you that I don't think Young should get the job. However I do understand why he's potentially in the running as all current temp coaches are considered for the head coach role (and historically that has been the case throughout the NRL).

However, and I'll dot point this in the hope it makes it clearer for you to understand:

• Young has been nominated caretaker for the next 6 weeks
  • Young is in the mix to be appointed the head coach role for next year (as Ryan Webb has stated in his interview that he can throw his hat in the ring when the time comes).
  • Irrespective of whether it for a career with us or someone else, it is an opportunity to impress
  • Young has not selected any new players - and given the above points I can understand why
You can be outraged all you want - it's not going to change these facts. What is your outrage/consternation/indignation going to achieve?

I'd say he already has knowledge of the players abilities - but if he doesn't get the position, what value does that add?
Why shouldn’t I be outraged?

The notion that he can “throw his hat in the ring” and reports now that Hornby will also throw his hat in the ring and that report saying he had now been part of a successful external system IMO is testimony to all that is wrong at our club and should be called out as was the last imposter we had.

Unlike others I am more than happy to vent my spleen and argue against the potential for more mediocrity and acceptance of it.

Re your last paragraph it relates to an earlier post where I said if Millward is going to be running the roster then much can be learnt and mistakes might be avoided.

SaintPauli

Juniors
No to Young or Hornby for now. Let them explore other clubs and systems like Ryles, Barret, Brown, Holbrook and Even Fitzgibbon. One day one of the above will return with the right experience and knowledge to win a comp. We need an experienced coach who can get these players up every week like the top sides do.

LINESPEED

Juniors
If

If I had a player on my books I needed to find out about as to whether he’s got it or not and whether we keep him or not then I wouldn’t even blink.

I’m not saying you have to blood these young blokes for the entire 6 weeks but some game time is imperative IMO.

Far better IMO to blood them against teams of similar ability / position on the ladder rather than Storm and Raiders.

Well put OT!

I think we old fellas end up with a penchant for youth
- what with all the grandkids scrumming us on the lounge

I’d reckon many players get their first taste of NRL at the tail end of seasons - and I think Deano (&The Board) will hopefully see the sense in this
.... as good for maybe not Deano, but certainly the Club’s future.

We certainly don’t need any more juniors asking for releases ATM.

Re selection (I thought I’d done with this Aitken theme FMD - but there’s still powerful resistance here to severing the umbilical)

In all honesty, I think Aitken’s been a roadblock for years, then finally deemed inessential, shopped around but nobody wanted him, & eventually flogged off to the Warriors.
So yeah, in his case it should be seeya later

Whereas Waterboy begged Friz to stay as recruitment more or less still deemed him essential to the team as far as I can tell - and he will be tonight.
Go Friz - (and get some offloads going!)

People deem Blacker not ready, but some junior backs are

- and sorry fellas, but I love ‘em - & I’ll back ‘em till the cows come home

One of our big, fast, creative & skilled juniors off the bench (or anybody for that matter) in Aitken’s place tonight would make no difference to the outcome.

He’s certainly lost far more games for us than he’s won (any?) over the years?
(My shrink - courtesy of McGregor - reckons my problem is that he constantly reminds me of how much I miss the Gasniers)

But I do get the drift on here that Deano’s shit scared of losing & doesn’t want to rock the boat or tread on too many toes first up.

Anyway OT
Go the Saints!

PS
Geez I hate seeing Langer on the paddock.Hey Josh, maybe he might accidentally get in your way tonight?

...Boys,show the little prick we CAN play
& smash ‘em

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
No to Young or Hornby for now. Let them explore other clubs and systems like Ryles, Barret, Brown, Holbrook and Even Fitzgibbon. One day one of the above will return with the right experience and knowledge to win a comp. We need an experienced coach who can get these players up every week like the top sides do.

I liked Ben Hornby.

Especially because he was always yelling ‘Linespeed’! to the juniors lol
He knew.

As a bus victim in now greener pastures, like Jason, he’ll thrive outside the Old Boys’ Club & return a better man.

So the mention of The Old Boys’ Club somehow brings me to you

Webby (I forget what Day it is now, but FMD
you’re lookin’ the goods mate)
Onya!
You did it!

Now while the momentum’s yours
And Andy’s got his tail between his legs
& Bruce’s given up his favourite

Have you pulled the broom out of that cupboard??
.... while The Fans wait with their pens poised over their Membership applications

You know, new blood on a discredited & wornout Board kinda stuff
.... something that great CEO’s have a think about in their vision of Club renewal.
Jeez ... is there NOONE taking responsibility on The Board for the million dollar fuc/kup??
Not even a couple of Mary-loving Illawarra heads?
A falling on their swords in tandem with their million$$
Mc I’m-4-Games-Into-a-2YR-contract favourite??

Got anything to say about that to The Fans??

We (well most of us I think) want the Full Monty

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
Can we get the Sack Mary thread back on track? The meandering blogs that have spilled out into every other thread were much easier to avoid when they only surfaced elsewhere occasionally.

Gareth67

First Grade
Anyhooooow - back to the game . I am quietly confident that the boys will build upon their win over the Eels . All I ask is that they improve each week regardless of the coaching situation .

For what it is worth we all realize that Dean Young is the new coach for the rest of the season and nothing will change that .

I do hope that the man is able to put some runs on the board , however in saying that the Dragons must look towards a far more experienced man to hold the coaching reins .

There is so much rebuilding to be done and only a most capable individual will truly get the job done - anyone else and it will merely be a rerun of the ‘ Mary ‘ years and nobody wants that .

Dragons by 8 . :innocent:

LINESPEED

Juniors
much easier to avoid when they only surfaced elsewhere occasionally.

Yes
.... reminders of the loss of the 3 amigos would’ve been quite palpable and unpalatable for some
- and the requiem should be more respected I say.

The worst part about tonight is that the Broncs must be getting closer to a win
....some might say

Last edited:

qld redvee

Juniors
Saint Pauli,
If the board hold true to the criteria of new coach being from a successful external system rules dean out and hornby ( who is in 1st year out from mary ) I think we need to seriously look at fitzgibbon who has so much defensive success behind him also .. young working beside fitzgibbon for a period would hopefully give dean the work experience to take over the reins down the track

SBD82

Coach
Yes
.... reminders of the loss of the 3 amigos would’ve been quite palpable in unpalatable for some
- and the requiem should be more respected I say.

The worst part about tonight is that the Broncs must be getting closer to a win
....some might say
You what now?

hazzbeen

Bench
Anyhooooow - back to the game . I am quietly confident that the boys will build upon their win over the Eels . All I ask is that they improve each week regardless of the coaching situation .

For what it is worth we all realize that Dean Young is the new coach for the rest of the season and nothing will change that .

I do hope that the man is able to put some runs on the board , however in saying that the Dragons must look towards a far more experienced man to hold the coaching reins .

There is so much rebuilding to be done and only a most capable individual will truly get the job done - anyone else and it will merely be a rerun of the ‘ Mary ‘ years and nobody wants that .

Dragons by 8 . :innocent:
Or they play the Broncos back to form ..... o_O

Dragon David

First Grade
Even though the Broncs are in all sorts and are seen as a basket case in 2020, we should not underestimate them. We will need to score more tries than them and our defence must be spot on like last week.

Keep errors, penalties and the damned 6 again restarts down to the absolute minimum if not none at all.

Dragons by 12.

Gareth67

First Grade
Or they play the Broncos back to form ..... o_O

Oh ye off little faith ! Hazz they played a very solid game against the Eels - for the full 80 mins. If they can repeat that effort then at the very least it will be a close game , but the broncs are teetering at the moment , right on the brink of oblivion.

May the Big Red V push them over !