What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Storm

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
If players like Lawrie, Host, Latimore and Leilua created opportunities and then off-loaded to the likes of Field, Dufty, Ravalawa and Pearson we would have won that game last night. Very little second phase play and too much one out running up the middle without a though of off-loading costed us this game.

Successful off-loads brings good gains in territory and the confidence to try even harder to score.

Last night showed me that Aitken, Field, Dufty and Lawrie should be in reserve grade or gone at the end of the season. Lafai just back from injury had better lift his form fast or he will be in the same category.

Although they both made a mistake or two, Pearson and Ravalawa are showing signs of improvement and by end of season may be our best options on the wing for 2020. Nicholls is not a first grade halfback and so I'd say we should be promoting a young junior to fill this position in CC.

We need a decent cleanout at the end of 2019 but more importantly we need a new coaching staff as it was clear that they fell short again last night in the game against the Storm. Would someone tell me why C Smith was not targeted all night and not shut down by our markers or edge backrowers.

Possum. I think Mary's game plan given it was wet ( Actually its the same game plan no matter) was to hold onto the ball and not make mistakes.

For some bright reason, it seems Mary had the halves running on the last and handing over the ball within Melbourne's 10 metre line. How hard would it have been for Melbourne to take a bomb given its wet and a strong cross field breeze with attackers competing? Poor game plan - Mary needs to go.

Gareth67

First Grade
Have only just listen to the maestros press conference and as already said by others it is indeed quite embarrassing. Mary , dear Mary your - YOUR team lost and it doesn’t matter if it was by 1 point or by 50 , a loss is a loss in any other coaches book .

Nothing to be enthused about at all , our season is over and now we will have an extended off season as a result. Getting all of our troops back most unfortunately just will not be enough to get the Dragons in to this years semis .

You should at the very least make amends by tearing strips of the referees poor performance yet again - cop the $10,000 fine but let the NRL know that St.George Illawarra are no longer the bully-boys playthings. :innocent:

Mickthedragon

Juniors
The rot started with Merrin’s departure.

At the time, I wrote elsewhere that his absence would be “catastrophic”. In hindsight, this may be hyperbolic, but it’s not too far away from the truth either.
Are you serious? It goes way beyond that. I'll start with the coach, management and board. And that will do....

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Are you serious? It goes way beyond that. I'll start with the coach, management and board. And that will do....

Perhaps you should revisit the sequence of posts between myself and OT? Clearly, I was referring to the dearth of offloading capability from the Dragons’ forward pack.

Bench
I watched the game without any expectations. Win or Lose didn’t really matter, maybe because I was expecting a blow out.
I must praise McInnes, Rava, Dufty and my man Latimore.
I would have thought that McIdiot’s plan would have Field and Dufty at the back of the forwards and get some second phase attack going. Lucky has the skill set to get the ball away.
Our fifth tackle option was unbelievable, how many times did we die in the Storm’s quarter, at least a kick could have led to something.
From that game Aitken is a waste of space, still rushes out of the line and one try they scored he just stood there like a shag on a rock then had the nerve to berate another player.
Field was a disappointment once again, I believe he is talented but he needs a decent coach with the ability to bring him to the next level.
There has to be some hard decisions before next year to get rid of the players that are playing CC and that is an insult to our juniors.
How many players at other clubs who are 18 and 19 getting a run in first grade.
It is indeed dark days ahead for us, I really thought that this year would have been one of our best seasons.

The playing conditions were atrocious, but let us face it, McGenius would have rolled out the same game plan whether the track was wet or dry.

One out running then bang the ball down the other end of the park.

The effort was excellent.

Our execution was poor at times particularly last tackle options.

41yearsaint

Juniors
The playing conditions were atrocious, but let us face it, McGenius would have rolled out the same game plan whether the track was wet or dry.

One out running then bang the ball down the other end of the park.

The effort was excellent.

Our execution was poor at times particularly last tackle options.
I have a sneaking suspicion that our last tackle options down there end came from the brains trust.

getsmarty

Immortal
Play of the week: Round 16 v Storm
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 6 Jul 2019, 08:50 AM

The Dragons couldn't trump the Melbourne Storm at WIN Stadium on Friday going down to the competition leaders by two points.

But the tight contest still produced some memorable moments from the Dragons and now it's time to vote for your favourite.

Option A. Jeremy Latimore or 'the goat' doesn't see too much of the try line. Across 178 matches the forward had only scored six tries, be he added one more on Friday night. Running out onto the field in the starting line-up, Latimore got the Dragons off to the perfect start charging towards the Melbourne line and spinning his way over for the opening points.

Options B. With both sides only scoring one try a piece midway through the second half, the Dragons turned to the kicking boot of Jai Field to level the scores. From 35 metres out and 10 metres in from the sideline, Field guided the ball over the posts despite heavy wind and rain making things difficult in the impressive kick.

Option C. Mikaele Ravalawa showed just how damaging he can be with this barnstorming try. The Storm looked to have the Dragons covered as they shifted the ball out wide. But when the ball came into the hands of Ravalawa the big Fijian exploded through the Storm line to once again level the scores.

Vote for your favourite moment from the match below!

Play of the week
Vote for your favourite play

Play of the week Vote for your favourite play
  • A. Jeremy Latimore
    0%
  • B. Jai Field
    0%
  • C. Mikaele Ravalawa
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/06/play-of-the-week-round-16-v-storm/

Should there be a D option......LOL

jeffdragon

Bench
Play of the week: Round 16 v Storm
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 6 Jul 2019, 08:50 AM

The Dragons couldn't trump the Melbourne Storm at WIN Stadium on Friday going down to the competition leaders by two points.

But the tight contest still produced some memorable moments from the Dragons and now it's time to vote for your favourite.

Option A. Jeremy Latimore or 'the goat' doesn't see too much of the try line. Across 178 matches the forward had only scored six tries, be he added one more on Friday night. Running out onto the field in the starting line-up, Latimore got the Dragons off to the perfect start charging towards the Melbourne line and spinning his way over for the opening points.

Options B. With both sides only scoring one try a piece midway through the second half, the Dragons turned to the kicking boot of Jai Field to level the scores. From 35 metres out and 10 metres in from the sideline, Field guided the ball over the posts despite heavy wind and rain making things difficult in the impressive kick.

Option C. Mikaele Ravalawa showed just how damaging he can be with this barnstorming try. The Storm looked to have the Dragons covered as they shifted the ball out wide. But when the ball came into the hands of Ravalawa the big Fijian exploded through the Storm line to once again level the scores.

Vote for your favourite moment from the match below!

Play of the week
Vote for your favourite play

Play of the week Vote for your favourite play
  • A. Jeremy Latimore
    0%
  • B. Jai Field
    0%
  • C. Mikaele Ravalawa
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/06/play-of-the-week-round-16-v-storm/

Should there be a D option......LOL
Ben Cummins corrupt refereeing
100%.

getsmarty

Immortal
Sometimes don't even bother wasting my wi-fi to watch press conference..

Yep...Your not missing much....same old excuses dressed up differently....its always someone else's fault..eg players need to step up etc....The small loss within a loss comment...If I remember correctly....

The man talks in riddles.............

hazzbeen

Bench
Yep...Your missing much....same old excuses dressed up differently....its always someone else's fault..eg players need to step up etc....The small loss within a loss comment...If I remember correctly....

The man talks in riddles.............
Yep like a couple of weeks ago we got smashed by someone , and come out and said he is excited, the bloke has lost it...... Hang on my mistake he never had it to lose it ......

Ted bartolo

Juniors
Ben Cummins corrupt refereeing
100%.
What I noticed in the dragons storm game and magpies roosters game was the winners were laying over the tackled players twice as long..Good coaching or referees getting influenced.only my opinion.And sack McGregor

Last edited: