What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16. vs the Titans. Game day thread.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Oh yep. Different situation, there is one significant ego/attitude in the squad, hard to know whether SJ is another.
However the issue is becoming clearer now we have a very stark comparison to what TMM and CHT did with barely any practice together.
Be that as it may, we shipped 66 points. Do we believe we wouldn't have if the attack fired earlier?

A lot of the focus seemed to be on Shaun, who flat out sucked yesterday. So did his defense. But I'm more worried about the attitude that let in 66 to the Titans. Even at 30-0 at halftime, a proud, unified team should bar up and arrest the momentum. We were one game off the bye. But we were worse in the 2nd half. Again, I could cop it if it was the B/C team we put out previously who didn't know each other, but it wasn't.

I honestly don't think any team has lost by 60 points as an aberration. Something must stink here. I read something on a social media site that a fan was behind the posts, and the finger pointing was shocking. I know, hardly a smoking gun, but you have to wonder.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah while I also note the SJ/TMM etc issue in the halves, that’s a fair way downstream (or up) from conceding 66, and without being unkind conceding 66 to the Titans…. ( who are not as bad as their ladder position, but (like us) they are a long way from Penrith

Big Marn

Bench

Table of NRL’s record losing margins​

PointsWinning TeamLosing TeamScoreVenueDate
74North Queensland CowboysWests Tigers74-0Queensland Country Bank Stadium1 July, 2023
70Parramatta EelsCronulla Sharks74-4Parramatta Stadium23 August, 2003
66NZ WarriorsSouth Sydney Rabbitohs66-0Sydney Football Stadium25 June, 2006
66Manly Sea EaglesCanterbury Bulldogs66-0BankWest Stadium3 July, 2021
66Newcastle KnightsCanterbury Bulldogs66-0Accor Stadium2 July, 2023
66Sydney RoostersWests Tigers72-6Sydney Cricket Ground28 August, 2022
66Brisbane BroncosNewcastle Knights71-6Suncorp Stadium27 May, 2007
64Melbourne StormWests Tigers64-0Colonial Stadium5 July, 2001
62Canberra RaidersPenrith Panthers74-12Canberra Stadium10 August, 2008
60Melbourne StormSt. George Illawarra Dragons70-10MCG3 March, 2000
60Penrith PanthersManly Sea Eagles72-12CUA Stadium7 August, 2004

Not sure if this will make anyone feel better but 5 of the teams above that got hidings, went on to subsequently win premierships.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Oh yep. Different situation, there is one significant ego/attitude in the squad, hard to know whether SJ is another.

Be that as it may, we shipped 66 points. Do we believe we wouldn't have if the attack fired earlier?

A lot of the focus seemed to be on Shaun, who flat out sucked yesterday. So did his defense. But I'm more worried about the attitude that let in 66 to the Titans. Even at 30-0 at halftime, a proud, unified team should bar up and arrest the momentum. We were one game off the bye. But we were worse in the 2nd half. Again, I could cop it if it was the B/C team we put out previously who didn't know each other, but it wasn't.

I honestly don't think any team has lost by 60 points as an aberration. Something must stink here. I read something on a social media site that a fan was behind the posts, and the finger pointing was shocking. I know, hardly a smoking gun, but you have to wonder.
There was talk a couple of weeks back that numerous in the playing group weren’t happy with how AFB has been acting, wonder if some sort of divide and dissent has been created, even though Webster handled it ok

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
There was talk a couple of weeks back that numerous in the playing group weren’t happy with how AFB has been acting, wonder if some sort of divide and dissent has been created, even though Webster handled it ok
That wouldn't surprise me a bit given that performance. Some of the brothers might've gone one way, some the other.

I've never played at that level in anything but I do know that the second half was indicative of something bigger at play. As I said, a proud team all drawing together would come out and play better after halftime, given they're capable of it. The strongest of teams draw together in all situations but on reflection, that performance looked like a team who felt they had an excuse or a reason to give up. No way that just comes as an out of the blue performance. 70-10 in Melbourne in 2022, was off the back of all the COVID fatigue while we were still based in Redcliffe. The 62-6 in Penrith was a below-par team under a shite coach. In both of those, we won the following week, and in the case of the 62-6 we won the next five. Will be very interesting to see how we go next week against Brisbane.

And funnily, that same team in 2024 had 'excuses' during the three-match winning run and didn't take them. So you add back in AFB, SJ, Roger and Tohu etc, and the attitude drops off. That suggests to me that there's issues with someone in that group.

That wouldn't surprise me a bit given that performance. Some of the brothers might've gone one way, some the other.

I've never played at that level in anything but I do know that the second half was indicative of something bigger at play. As I said, a proud team all drawing together would come out and play better after halftime, given they're capable of it. The strongest of teams draw together in all situations but on reflection, that performance looked like a team who felt they had an excuse or a reason to give up. No way that just comes as an out of the blue performance. 70-10 in Melbourne in 2022, was off the back of all the COVID fatigue while we were still based in Redcliffe. The 62-6 in Penrith was a below-par team under a shite coach. In both of those, we won the following week, and in the case of the 62-6 we won the next five. Will be very interesting to see how we go next week against Brisbane.

And funnily, that same team in 2024 had 'excuses' during the three-match winning run and didn't take them. So you add back in AFB, SJ, Roger and Tohu etc, and the attitude drops off. That suggests to me that there's issues with someone in that group.
They didn't trust each other in defense.
Watch players over chasing and creating gaps.
The lack of shoulder tackles is an attitude issue, why they don't want to put in for each other is a huge problem and shows a huge lack of professionalism.

sup42

Juniors
One plus of the loss is that it has sparked some good discussion in here.

All of it is on point too.

We should not have changed a winning team (hindsight).

There are serious communication issues in the team.

AFB started most of it.

Johnson is a problem, he does not communicate with TMM.

RTS is a problem, he plays outside of a ball beats man draw and pass to set up other people mode.

When we got rid of all three we played our best game of the season potentially.

AFB came back and put up a showing for the press and his employer.

None of that stuff is going to paper over the rotten communication issue at this club just now and that is the beginning of where your defence will fall apart.

The halves, Fullback, Centers and their back rowers direct your defence. Your defence will never find cohesion if you have stars that cannot even have a chat about passing a ball to the left.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
Silver linings time.

Our NSW cup side won their battle for a place in the top five over the 7th placed Dragons.

Moala Graham Taufa scoring two Try's, one from inside our half, the other a beast mode signature MGT out of Dummy half burn the markers then carry over the try line defenders.

Our defence continues to look solid for that level.

We will need to continue this improvement to have any chance against the three sides above us on the ladder (Bears, Jets, Raiders are all strong sides).

sup42

Juniors
I see the NSW cup side had a dominant win yesterday… probably would’ve done better than the FG team if they’d swapped.
Beat me to it.

Love seeing the defence we have been turning out of late.

I see we debuted a Center Nganaiaiafu Vake and he looked pretty comfortable straight off the bat.

I honestly cannot keep up with these guys, there are just too many good uns to post about.

Ben Far has been playing well hey for a wooden slow skinny rat of a kid, I have a soft spot for him, he tries his guts out on very limited talent.

sup42

Juniors
could have won by more in that game. There were a couple of absolutely topdraw trysaving tackles by st george in that game.

crazy how good the defence is becoming among the top half of the NSW cup.

Ok so it starts out pretty bad for everyone in round one apart from the defending champs and or the sides sitting on huge Nurseries, but when you compare some of the defence today, compared to when we used to watch the John Ackland Warriors run over everyone, the landscape has changed.

Last week was a real grinder of a first half vs the Magpies, and they are not even a top outfit.

The thing that surprises me most is that you expect lots of leaks and weak try line defence because of the musical chairs make up of NSW cup sides, they are populated by loads of guys in their first season together, they have SG ball kids etc bumped up mid season, and the NRL takes your best players off you at random just when the Coach has a system running.

I have to say that Dave Tangata Toa is doing a great job.

You also have to give kudos to Taine directing from the back and making try savers at his size.

I think the biggest change is the way players are scouted, clubs (especially us since McFadden came in) seem to be going after footballers over athletes....which in our case....because we are the athlete factory, means we are seeing kids who are both Athletes and footballers, just smarter big fast strong guys with a shimmy and a fend in their tool kits plus all round bigger engines.

I seriously doubt a Konrad Hurrell would last as long as he did under this new model.

A lot of fans just now are crying out for the club to pull the trigger and move away from our old stagers.

Not quite at the point of wishing we lose on the trot to get the future now....but if this crap continues.....

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Jesus would be good after the game for his wine and fish trick or some magic healing.
Moses is who you need to part the sea/defense. Think he's contract to Eels tho? :p
There'd be a few 'Peters' getting around after yesterday's game too. You know, deny they even know the Warriors 'three times before the rooster crows...'

This might be especially true of some fans leaving Robina. I don't blame them, and have done a 'Peter' myself (leaving Penrith Stadium for a long walk to the train station in 2017).