What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Titans

This Year?

Immortal
After watching the Titans v Canberra match this afternoon we will be in big trouble next week if our defence waits for the attack to come to them. Titans will definitely be no pushover & have some cleaver players if let run.
I'm with you on this one. I have a feeling we will pay the price of complacency this week. They've been building for a month and are due. Our game against the Broncos didn't give me much confidence, especially our defence.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I'm with you on this one. I have a feeling we will pay the price of complacency this week. They've been building for a month and are due. Our game against the Broncos didn't give memuch confidence, especially our defence.
After our first two tries against the Broncos, I thought we were really going to hammer them. Then before you knew it, the scores were even and we were struggling to match it with the Broncos.

The Titans can beat us if we don't play to our full potential.

dino1

Juniors
Time will tell but the way we played against the bronks was a replication of the matches previously. We go hard for the first half and then fade to the point of not playing well enough to be plying park football. Why?

Maybe the fitness level. Maybe there are egos there.

possm

Coach
Time will tell but the way we played against the bronks was a replication of the matches previously. We go hard for the first half and then fade to the point of not playing well enough to be plying park football. Why?

Maybe if Young selects only fit players and rotates the bench in a way that relieves fatigue, we may just see a better performance by our team.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I dont expect to see too much change in the team list today.
One forced will bring Ford in, the other possibly Blacker.
Actually cant foresee too many changes until we are definitly ruled out of making the finals (8th spot still a possibility) and games won against the Titans and Cowboys will get us closer.

I think this is the reality we have to face atm.
Unfortunately, we are not at training, we dont know how these youngsters are progressing and most havent played for nearly on a year.
Plus Young is in audition for the top job.

If we lose against one (or both) of Titans and Cows, then we'll see some change.

Old Timer

Coach

Our team look leg weary as they run out for the 1st half

Our players look overly muscled and bulky even our backs except Clune.

You watch JAC, The Morris twins, The Hammer at the Cowboys, AJ at Souths, Tommy Turbo, Gutherson and many others and they have suppleness and fluidity when they run where we look like muscle bound oafs that bullock their way around the paddock.

Most of our lot look robotic and cumbersome and probably why not a lot of footwork on display.

They need some freshening up and yoga stretching exercises more than more weights IMO.

LINESPEED

Juniors

You watch JAC, The Morris twins, The Hammer at the Cowboys, AJ at Souths, Tommy Turbo, Gutherson and many others and they have suppleness and fluidity when they run where we look like muscle bound oafs that bullock their way around the paddock.

Most of our lot look robotic and cumbersome and probably why not a lot of footwork on display.

They need some freshening up and yoga stretching exercises more than more weights IMO.

There’s no substitute for natural skill, speed, power and most importantly, footy IQ.

I’d certainly ‘freshen’ 4 of our backs up with a one way ticket to Siberia

Of course, at our Club, incumbency rules absolute
....unless some poor bugger gets injured.

Rotation, renewal & experimentation are absent from our lexicon.

ATM many Clubs are still winning with 8 or so regulars out - which keeps their rosters healthy and match ready?

Imagine if we had 8 or so unavailable?

‘Contingencies’ is the other key word missing from our strategists’ handbook?

ALSGI

Bench
There’s no substitute for natural skill, speed, power and most importantly, footy IQ.

ATM many Clubs are still winning with 8 or so regulars out - which keeps their rosters healthy and match ready?

Great points, especially the ‘Rotation, renewal & experimentation are absent‘ and ‘healthy rosters’.

As for our contingencies Career Coach had a book of excuses for 7 years.

ALSGI

Bench

Great observation, agree 100%.

Friz is a great example of this plenty of muscle, no suppleness or footwork.

Norman is probably the only exception, he seems to be in a yoga session during most games.

Mjab

Juniors

Contingencies under Mary

Power game not working

more power game

and more power game after that

redv13

Bench
Contingencies under Mary

Power game not working

more power game

and more power game after that
Plus you forgot that the 17th man if lucky will get no more than 8 mins of game time ( if he’s very lucky )

TruSaint

Referee
NRL squad for Round 16 v Gold Coast Titans –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Jacob Host – sponsored by Fox Property
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
14 Kaide Ellis – sponsored by TripADeal
15. Trent Merrin – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual16. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness
17. Billy Brittain – sponsored by St.George Bank
18. Eddie Blacker
19. Tristan Sailor
20. Jayden Sullivan
21. Max Feagai

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/08/25/nrl-team-round-16-v-gold-coast-titans/

possm

Coach
Well, Aitken remains in and so does Norman. The only changes have to do with players not available for selection. All I can say is that we are lucky we are playing the Titans.

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Jacob Host – sponsored by Fox Property
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
14 Kaide Ellis – sponsored by TripADeal
15. Trent Merrin – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
16. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness
17. Billy Brittain – sponsored by St.George Bank

18. Eddie Blacker
19. Tristan Sailor
20. Jayden Sullivan
21. Max Feagai

Dragon David

First Grade
What Dean Young is doing by basically having the same 17 (excepting for suspensions and injuries) is to maintain discipline and consistency. He cannot have consistency and discipline if he chops and changes the players too much. These are just a couple of things that are part of what he wants to achieve as the coach for the rest of the year in my opinion.