What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 Penrith V Brisvegas.

tripster

Juniors
I think we all need counselling.

My only comfort is I've been feeling like this pretty much every game since like round 8. "Surely this will be the week things return to normal" I tell myself. Over and over.

I'm starting to believe and it terrifies me.

I feel exactly the same way. Every now and then I have this strange feeling, which is the belief that our team really could take it out this year. Then I shudder and go back to fretting about playing the Broncos [or whomever else it is that week].

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It’s definitely true, it can be hard at times to be a Panthers fan.

I’ve said it before, in other posts. We’re all - even the “smug” ones - waiting for the wheels to fall off, the players to go back to the tried and true practice of falling apart at crucial moments, and for the inevitable capitulation that will lead to yet another “rebuild” (calling to arms all the trolls with their 5-Year-Plan chant).

There’s a definite 2003 feel to the season, I’ll admit, but the Panthers fan in me just can’t let myself be confident. I’ve tried, believe me. Bantering with Raiders fans at work, acting as though I already have my 2020 Premiers t-shirt on pre-order, but it’s all an act. Secretly (although I’m sure they suspect it) I’m riddled with fear and uncertainty. A deep and almost evolutionary belief that it can’t continue. At some point soon, the reality of disappointment will come crashing down upon us, leaving our trust in shatters yet again...

Who knows though? Maybe this year will be different. I certainly hope so. But until that final siren sounds, to signal the end of a victorious Grand Final for the Penrith Panthers, I’ll always hold a little bit of doubt, just a little bit, that it’ll all come to end in a spectacularly humiliating fashion.

/End rant :)

I so agree with your thoughts.

I'm more than a bit like John Lang who after 2003 grand final win was worried that the alarm was going to go off, and this is (was) a wonderful dream.

MugaB

Coach
Parramatta play 12 games at Bankwest this year.
The Cowboys play 10 games at their ground.
The whiners from ACT play 8 at GIO.
Penrith play just 6 at home.
We also get a fi
A am the same. My angina plays up something fierce during games. (I have to watch games back numerous times, because I am hiding my face and eyes with finger)

I can hardly drink without slopping it everywhere too. My hands are shaking so badly. This is what following Penrith has done to me.
I was worse when we were the last 20min comeback kings in 2018

MugaB

Coach
Bria To'o and Mitch Kenny played OK without the match fitness.

Good time for Capewell to compliment our squad. Also, give Mansour a rest and bring back the Forbes Farrarri for the excitement, and give Luai a rest and slot Burton in.

BTW TAB Bris $10 Pen $1.05. :)
Nope if you want to rest someome its nathan cleary, burton on the bench at 14, nate plays first 20mins, then burto for 60.
Yeo is out, fish has to play, May at 13.
And yes Staines in for ManSauce.
This should rest only a little bit of nathan and mansour for the Eels game, which we cannot, AND SHOULD NOT lose to our rivals again this year, last thing we want is to be labeled chokers to the chockers

Jane Murray

Bench
We are giving away 20.5 start.long time since a Penrith team has been this heavily favoured by the bookies

I am leaving myself open here, and I am not a gambling lady, can you, please, explain to my what this means? Thanks in advance.

soc123_au

Staff member
It’s definitely true, it can be hard at times to be a Panthers fan.

I’ve said it before, in other posts. We’re all - even the “smug” ones - waiting for the wheels to fall off, the players to go back to the tried and true practice of falling apart at crucial moments, and for the inevitable capitulation that will lead to yet another “rebuild” (calling to arms all the trolls with their 5-Year-Plan chant).

There’s a definite 2003 feel to the season, I’ll admit, but the Panthers fan in me just can’t let myself be confident. I’ve tried, believe me. Bantering with Raiders fans at work, acting as though I already have my 2020 Premiers t-shirt on pre-order, but it’s all an act. Secretly (although I’m sure they suspect it) I’m riddled with fear and uncertainty. A deep and almost evolutionary belief that it can’t continue. At some point soon, the reality of disappointment will come crashing down upon us, leaving our trust in shatters yet again...

Who knows though? Maybe this year will be different. I certainly hope so. But until that final siren sounds, to signal the end of a victorious Grand Final for the Penrith Panthers, I’ll always hold a little bit of doubt, just a little bit, that it’ll all come to end in a spectacularly humiliating fashion.

/End rant :)

It's almost like you typed exactly how I feel. Spooky, ha ha.
Going by other posts in the same vein, we have all been die hards for a long long time.
How good would it be to be smug & actually believe it?

Now I'm off to order my premiers shirt & Nathan Cleary bobble head. That f**ker is a work of art, how they managed to balance it all & still do justice to that magnificent chin is an engineering masterpiece.

Might grab a limited edition Tyrone May endorsed "The Ratbag" pleasure device for the Mrs while I'm at it....

murraymob

Coach
I am leaving myself open here, and I am not a gambling lady, can you, please, explain to my what this means? Thanks in advance.
When you place a bet on this the broncos get 20.5 start .So to win Penrith must win by more than 20.5 .If Penrith win by less than that you lose your bet regardless if Penrith win or not

WestyLife

First Grade
When you place a bet on this the broncos get 20.5 start .So to win Penrith must win by more than 20.5 .If Penrith win by less than that you lose your bet regardless if Penrith win or not

Funny the Broncos are at $10 to our $1.05. Embarrassing.

ACTPanthers

Bench
It's almost like you typed exactly how I feel. Spooky, ha ha.
Going by other posts in the same vein, we have all been die hards for a long long time.
How good would it be to be smug & actually believe it?

Now I'm off to order my premiers shirt & Nathan Cleary bobble head. That f**ker is a work of art, how they managed to balance it all & still do justice to that magnificent chin is an engineering masterpiece.

Might grab a limited edition Tyrone May endorsed "The Ratbag" pleasure device for the Mrs while I'm at it....
To be fair, we've never been seen in the same room now have we... Just sayin.

I've tried to get a Ratbag here in Canberra, but they've all sold out. She'll just have to be happy with the bobble head I suppose...

The_Frog

First Grade
When I was a kid this was the only RL betting you could do, it was on a printed card and you had to pick winners with starts in all games. The purpose of the start is to make it an even bet and the purpose of the half point is so that it cannot be a draw. If you won you got 50-1 (actually 49-1) from memory, the true chance of winning being 1 in 64 with 6 games.

At some point the TAB took it over and they gradually introduced more betting options.

They also had first try scorer cards you could buy at the game. You didn't get to pick them though, they were random, all possible combinations were printed. This was a 1 in 169 (13 x 13) chance (actually higher since there was a chance one or both sides might not score a try, then there would be no winner). I won one of these once at Penrith Park, as kids were allowed to buy them, I received $16 for 20 cents.

Last edited:

tripster

Juniors
They also had first try scorer cards you could buy at the game. You didn't get to pick them though, they were random, all possible combinations were printed. This was a 1 in 169 (13 x 13) chance (actually higher since there was a chance one or both sides might not score a try, then there would be no winner). I won one of these once at Penrith Park, as kids were allowed to buy them, I received $16 for 20 cents.

I used to buy these too. I think they still do them now? They were / are called “footy doubles” if I remember correctly? They were printed on raffle ticket books. When I first bought them I think they were $1.

I am pretty sure I heard a guy last season wandering around the ground yelling out “get your doubles here!” and still handing them out.

GongPanther

Referee
Nope if you want to rest someome its nathan cleary, burton on the bench at 14, nate plays first 20mins, then burto for 60.
Yeo is out, fish has to play, May at 13.
And yes Staines in for ManSauce.
This should rest only a little bit of nathan and mansour for the Eels game, which we cannot, AND SHOULD NOT lose to our rivals again this year, last thing we want is to be labeled chokers to the chockers
The only time we want to be resting Cleary is when we have that Minor Premiership wrapped up. Hopefully the Bulldogs game will be that week we can rest Clez and a few others.

The_Frog

First Grade
Funny the Broncos are at $10 to our $1.05. Embarrassing.
That's a different bet of course. The bet with start is meant to be even money, that is the purpose of the start. Usually the margin odds are $1.90 each side, but they can change it if they get a lot of bets on one side, or they can change the margin.

WestyLife

First Grade
That's a different bet of course. The bet with start is meant to be even money, that is the purpose of the start. Usually the margin odds are $1.90 each side, but they can change it if they get a lot of bets on one side, or they can change the margin.

Yeah I get that. Just interesting since betting was mentioned. We are favourites by $9. I've never personally seen it and imagine it's pretty rare.