What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 Penrith V Brisvegas.

franklin2323

Immortal
Right. We just happened to create 500% more opportunities while Staines was on the field than we have with To'o. Staines is a bit faster and that tiny bit of extra pace can make a huge difference between scoring or not.

Kick returns are a stat that's largely out of the players hands... And it says more about the opposition than the player. They kick to the player they want returning the ball and/or the guy they don't want taking the next carry.

Charlie Staines IMO is most comparable to Ryan Papenhuyzen early on. You could apply the same concerns to him. Under a poor coach or in a poor team he could be a failure. Or his talent wasted. He could be severely limited in reaching his potential like Tedesco was at Tigers.

Under a good coach in a good team that is able to utilise his skills he has superstar potential. If Staines left us he would do well to choose Roosters or Storm. They're two teams that could fix or limit any flaws he has and make the most of what he does. Every player has flaws or atleast areas where others are better.

I dont expect Charlie to be in our top 17 this year. Or for him to bulk up that much in a short period of time without either juicing or sacrificing some pace. But youre deadset trying to nitpick potential flaws in a player. Do the same to Mansour for any player and no one is NRL ready.

Peak Josh Mansour wouldn't have been an NRL player if you nitpicked his flaws (like Souths did in saying he wasn't NRL quality)

He's slow for a winger. Has poor hands at times. He's hesitant to contest kicks. Good for an unforced error. He's on the shorter side and not overly athletic etc.

Didnt stop him being one of the best wingers in the NRL for a bit. Now he has more flaws or those ones have gotten worse and he's still an NRL winger in the team coming first.

No Kick returns aren't on him but if you pick him over a fit Mansour in a big game you have to be sure because he will get tested

Yes compare him to Papenhuyzen.

Papenhuyzen was a gun in juniors. Moved to Melbourne to develop his game instead of stay at Tigers for a certain start.

Papenhuyzen got his start due to injury. Drinkwater doesn't get injuried it is possible Papenhuyzen doesn't play. Even that debut was after a couple of years of developing

mxlegend99

Referee
No Kick returns aren't on him but if you pick him over a fit Mansour in a big game you have to be sure because he will get tested

Yes compare him to Papenhuyzen.

Papenhuyzen was a gun in juniors. Moved to Melbourne to develop his game instead of stay at Tigers for a certain start.

Papenhuyzen got his start due to injury. Drinkwater doesn't get injuried it is possible Papenhuyzen doesn't play. Even that debut was after a couple of years of developing
At the wrong club these guys could look like deadset flops. I think Papz will never be in the elite category of fullbacks. But will top the list of guys just below it as long as he stays at Storm.

If he stayed at Tigers though... i think he's no better than say Corey Thompson would have been. I just dont dont they could develop and play a style that works to his advantage. Madge expects his players to play a brand of footy they aren't suited to.

I’m not sure exactly what the To’o vs Staines discussion is about, but hopefully next year we have both of them on our wings. To’o I think can step in and do a lot of the work Mansour does. He already is that type of player.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m not sure exactly what the To’o vs Staines discussion is about, but hopefully next year we have both of them on our wings. To’o I think can step in and do a lot of the work Mansour does. He already is that type of player.

someone back a few pages suggested as of now Staines is in our top team. Atleast a year from that being true

mxlegend99

Referee
someone back a few pages suggested as of now Staines is in our top team. Atleast a year from that being true
At the expense of Mansour though. Surely? I never saw the post.

To'o is easily our best all rounder winger at the moment. Mansour is the one who will be replaced. Brian has a wing spot for the next decade.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Charlie is fit this week as well. I’d love to see him back in some how.

it’s a tough one, I really don’t want any injuries, I don’t think anyone deserves to be dropped, but I’d love to see him in the side.

deep down I know we are stronger side if he comes in for Sauce. But that’s so tough on Mansour.

@mxlegend99 here it is

franklin2323

Immortal
I reckon he might’ve given Mansour a run for his spot if he hadn’t of gotten injured, but it’s too late to change now.

I’d have him in the team for round 1 next year, though.

I won't say Round 1 because no idea what the pre season looks like. Less trials and shorter time to have possible end of season ops but by Round 10 certainly

WestyLife

First Grade
RIP whoever is on the other end of that finger.

20200902_180948.jpg

giphy.gif

Original Name

Juniors
Josh Mansour is having a terrific season. He is so consistent and while not a try scoring machine he is in my side for the rest of the season unless he gets injured. Charlie will just have to bide his time for mine.
According to NRL.com Mansour has the most post contact metres of any back in the NRL and he's missed a game too.
https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2020&stat=1000112
To'o does a good job doing similar stuff but he can't entirely replace the strengths Mansour brings that put us in a position to score tries.
Also for anyone that gets frustrated with the errors he makes according to the site Stephen Crichton has made 5 more, the same number as DWZ.
https://www.nrl.com/stats/players/?competition=111&season=2020&stat=37

MugaB

Coach
According to NRL.com Mansour has the most post contact metres of any back in the NRL and he's missed a game too.
To'o does a good job doing similar stuff but he can't entirely replace the strengths Mansour brings that put us in a position to score tries.
Also for anyone that gets frustrated with the errors he makes according to the site Stephen Crichton has made 5 more, the same number as DWZ.
Interesting, although i do get frustrated by where the errors occur from mansour, generally when its in our own 20m, errors aside the team in general are quick to get us back into the opponents end this year, so a complete turn around from last years efforts

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Staines looks a beast but we've only seen him downhill skiing atm which is what Franklin is saying.

If we were talking about FB I’d agree, but he’s more than capable of playing on the Wing.

The difference is that Crittas errors come when he’s trying to Catch a tough pass in traffic or trying to make pass in scoring position.

The frustrating errors are the ones made on first tackle plays, straight drops or errors in the play the ball.

maple_69

Bench
To'o is our best all round back and also seems to be the cultural heart of the religious crew in our side which seems to be half the side. He's relatively error free, makes good defensive decisions and contact, punches waaaay above his height under the high ball and is only slightly weaker than Mansour on kick returns/dummy half runs. He really hasn't been in the side since we actually started getting good ball out wide to the right. Can't wait to see his footwork and evasiveness come to the fore in some space. I doubt Naden or Sauce score the try he did last weekend. Maybe Staines burns them wide with pace and gets there.