What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 - v Dolphins

Dragon David

First Grade

kit66

Bench
The timing is just right for our game against the Dolphins with Bennett putting in his 2 cents worth about the refs, bunker and rules. I bet the Dolphins get a lot of the rub of the green on Sunday.

It could have the opposite effect if the refs take his criticism personally. And anyway, we've had some of the worst bunker decisions in recent weeks with our legit tries disallowed and opposition obvious no-try's awarded.
I'm hoping for our continued run of no sin bins or suspensions and hopefully a little home ground love from the ref on Sunday.
I watched the Fox bit in that link, Buzz has lost the red alchy blotches on his face, must be off the grog, looks almost human, we'll have to call him Buzz Lightbeer.

kit66

Bench
I don't get all of this talk of losing Tamale as a big issue.
Finau is the one I think the Dragons identified a while back as a player who could progress to first grade.
Yes, being brought along slowly, but definitely in the mix for the future.

I was actually worried that we were losing them both - not Tamale in particular. But if people are concerned we've let Tamale go it's probably because we don't have much in the way of decent backline options - the cupboard's pretty bare. If you had to pick candidates for our 2025 backline it would be a pretty dire line up right now. Hopefully we sign a couple of young gun speedsters asap.

justadragon

Bench
I was actually worried that we were losing them both - not Tamale in particular. But if people are concerned we've let Tamale go it's probably because we don't have much in the way of decent backline options - the cupboard's pretty bare. If you had to pick candidates for our 2025 backline it would be a pretty dire line up right now. Hopefully we sign a couple of young gun speedsters asap.
All our good ones are a couple of years away, unfortunately.

Parko1310

Juniors
It could have the opposite effect if the refs take his criticism personally. And anyway, we've had some of the worst bunker decisions in recent weeks with our legit tries disallowed and opposition obvious no-try's awarded.
I'm hoping for our continued run of no sin bins or suspensions and hopefully a little home ground love from the ref on Sunday.
I watched the Fox bit in that link, Buzz has lost the red alchy blotches on his face, must be off the grog, looks almost human, we'll have to call him Buzz Lightbeer.
I agree with some and disagree with some of his comments. I particularly agree with his feelings that the NRL like to push off complaints about match officials and simply label it as whinging. In reality, the standard of refereeing is unbelievably poor. As a fan, it is so frustrating. These referees have genuinely been the sole or main reason some fans have turned away from the game. It tells you a lot that the standard is that poor that people are willing to walk away all together. They'll point to higher crowd numbers and TV ratings as evidence they're bringing fans in, but they're losing a lot of the rusted on fans. Higher population in general obviously equals higher numbers, but how long until those new fans get fed up and walk away from the game as well?

A lot of the time, the standard of officiating brings into question a lot about the referee's and bunker's personal biases towards some teams, and at times it very much looks like they're attempting to manufacture results. Let us not forget late last year we had 4 or 5 games in a row where we were playing teams still in finals contention, almost all of those games were decided by very contentious calls which Annesley later admitted to being the wrong calls against the Dragons. But it kept happening, and surprise surprise the teams in finals contention got those two points against us and made the race for the finals tighter than it otherwise would have been. Ryan Carr was livid in almost every press conference for a month straight because the game had been decided by the referees, and the better team on the day had lost. Now, obviously the Dragons had to be better to overcome these contentious calls, but when the opposition is given a massive leg up against a team not travelling very well, it makes it hard and to my main point, it kept the competition open. The NRL itself had an interest in keeping these teams alive in the finals race. The refereeing is very, very dodgy

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree with some and disagree with some of his comments. I particularly agree with his feelings that the NRL like to push off complaints about match officials and simply label it as whinging. In reality, the standard of refereeing is unbelievably poor. As a fan, it is so frustrating. These referees have genuinely been the sole or main reason some fans have turned away from the game. It tells you a lot that the standard is that poor that people are willing to walk away all together. They'll point to higher crowd numbers and TV ratings as evidence they're bringing fans in, but they're losing a lot of the rusted on fans. Higher population in general obviously equals higher numbers, but how long until those new fans get fed up and walk away from the game as well?

A lot of the time, the standard of officiating brings into question a lot about the referee's and bunker's personal biases towards some teams, and at times it very much looks like they're attempting to manufacture results. Let us not forget late last year we had 4 or 5 games in a row where we were playing teams still in finals contention, almost all of those games were decided by very contentious calls which Annesley later admitted to being the wrong calls against the Dragons. But it kept happening, and surprise surprise the teams in finals contention got those two points against us and made the race for the finals tighter than it otherwise would have been. Ryan Carr was livid in almost every press conference for a month straight because the game had been decided by the referees, and the better team on the day had lost. Now, obviously the Dragons had to be better to overcome these contentious calls, but when the opposition is given a massive leg up against a team not travelling very well, it makes it hard and to my main point, it kept the competition open. The NRL itself had an interest in keeping these teams alive in the finals race. The refereeing is very, very dodgy
I know that this might be crazy and stupid but I reckon all of the officials who do the officiating at games (I know most have turns at refereeing on field, in the bunker and on the sidelines) should be asked to honestly name which club they follow (if in fact they have a preference) so that for instance if the game is between the Dragons and the Dogs then none of the officials appointed to officiate at that game should be a fan of either team. Yes I know a stupid idea but it could help to eliminate any bias.

kit66

Bench

Yes, good post. The refereeing is at a real low point and the endless rule changes/interpretations/wholly new rules are killing the game. They introduce new rules to speed up the game but then a ref will allow one team in some matches to blatantly slow down the play the ball and give particular players far too much leeway. DCE for example lays on players forever and is always the last to peel off, there's a number of others who do the same and are never pulled up for it. My pet hate recently is refs allowing oppositions to hold down a player, lay there or push them back down, crowd then or have hands on the ball far too long then when that player or his team mates protest the ref yells "he's milking" when obviously that's not the case. I've had my suspicions over the years that refs judicate some very dubious and dodgy games - everyone has I guess, especially against "your team" but since Abdo took over it's been even more of a worry, he loves a rule change - actually since Murdoch got involved but that's another story.
The biggest worries are the Six Agains - a ref can dictate the whole dynamic of a game with that little gem - and the fact that the bunker, with all that technology can still get it so wrong while the commentators and fans get it right. There's also the fact that the refs get away with it, no repercussions, literally a law unto themselves.

AFL on the other hand is currently undergoing a renaissance, with crowd and viewing numbers booming if the reports are true. We need to be better to keep pace.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I know that this might be crazy and stupid but I reckon all of the officials who do the officiating at games (I know most have turns at refereeing on field, in the bunker and on the sidelines) should be asked to honestly name which club they follow (if in fact they have a preference) so that for instance if the game is between the Dragons and the Dogs then none of the officials appointed to officiate at that game should be a fan of either team. Yes I know a stupid idea but it could help to eliminate any bias.
Also they should ask each ref which team they hate or which player.

Actually they can't do that because they will also say they hate Saints as that what it appears to be and there will be no ref for any Saints game. Every week Annesley has to apologise for a bad decision against Saints. He had a break this week thanks to the Bye but I am sure he will have one for a bad call against Saints next week.

They need to get rid of an ex-ref looking after Refs. He will only look at situations from a refs perspective and not a players. They must appoint an ex-coach or player to do that role.

Also when Annesley comer out an apologises for a blatant bad call that official should be stood down depending how big the blunder is. The guy in the bunker for Flanno's double movement no try was a pretty obvious stuff up and the Ben Trbjoevic obstruction. Annesley admitted those were pretty bad calls and Saints were screwed.

Dragon David

First Grade
How can I say this. If Bellamy has the wood over Bennett, Bennett has the wood over Flanagan. Please don't shoot me!

That is all I want to say :(.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
its a super reliable pack that the Dolphins have especially with their strong experienced bench to compliment

I must say thought we need to evolve our aspirations.........We truly do have impact in our forwards and some crafty ones also but we need to fix that advantage line and kicking to hold minimum equal field position.

Its just too much pressure to bear being stuck in our half more than theirs.

Victoire

Juniors
its a super reliable pack that the Dolphins have especially with their strong experienced bench to compliment

I must say thought we need to evolve our aspirations.........We truly do have impact in our forwards and some crafty ones also but we need to fix that advantage line and kicking to hold minimum equal field position.

Its just too much pressure to bear being stuck in our half more than theirs.
I'm predicting a big game from Frankie Molo this weekend. With Queensland getting consistently steamrolled through thr middle on Wednesday I reckon Mo Fotuaika or Cotter or both are at risk of getting dropped, which would put Molo in the frame for a recall. I reckon Flanno will be in his ear about this all week

RedVee

First Grade
Or at least, the appearance of bias

True_Believer

Juniors
I understand what you are saying DD but it doesn't matter in the end. Purely because if they like a team, they can still influence other games to benefit that team. They don't have to be reffing that game directly.

True_Believer

Juniors
I think many of the reffing issues are caused by pressure surrounding media scrutiny and fuzzy rules. Where there's room for interpretation, there's always going to be issues. And where you have commentators pushing their own views and agendas, then you are increasing the risk of this going wrong. The game is super messy at the moment in my opinion.

Latest posts