What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 - v Dolphins

denis preston

First Grade
Yes, good post. The refereeing is at a real low point and the endless rule changes/interpretations/wholly new rules are killing the game. They introduce new rules to speed up the game but then a ref will allow one team in some matches to blatantly slow down the play the ball and give particular players far too much leeway. DCE for example lays on players forever and is always the last to peel off, there's a number of others who do the same and are never pulled up for it. My pet hate recently is refs allowing oppositions to hold down a player, lay there or push them back down, crowd then or have hands on the ball far too long then when that player or his team mates protest the ref yells "he's milking" when obviously that's not the case. I've had my suspicions over the years that refs judicate some very dubious and dodgy games - everyone has I guess, especially against "your team" but since Abdo took over it's been even more of a worry, he loves a rule change - actually since Murdoch got involved but that's another story.
The biggest worries are the Six Agains - a ref can dictate the whole dynamic of a game with that little gem - and the fact that the bunker, with all that technology can still get it so wrong while the commentators and fans get it right. There's also the fact that the refs get away with it, no repercussions, literally a law unto themselves.

AFL on the other hand is currently undergoing a renaissance, with crowd and viewing numbers booming if the reports are true. We need to be better to keep pace.
The umpiring in AFL is another kettle of fish, their interpretations would send NRL fans mad.

BLM01

First Grade
I think many of the reffing issues are caused by pressure surrounding media scrutiny and fuzzy rules. Where there's room for interpretation, there's always going to be issues. And where you have commentators pushing their own views and agendas, then you are increasing the risk of this going wrong. The game is super messy at the moment in my opinion.
Based on super slo-mo

BLM01

First Grade
I'm predicting a big game from Frankie Molo this weekend. With Queensland getting consistently steamrolled through thr middle on Wednesday I reckon Mo Fotuaika or Cotter or both are at risk of getting dropped, which would put Molo in the frame for a recall. I reckon Flanno will be in his ear about this all week
Cotter dropped no chance
Sua yes Mo yes Capewell yes Tualsgi Yes

BLM01

First Grade
Cotter dropped no chance
Sua yes Mo yes Capewell yes Tualsgi Yes
Cotter I would also put into that category
NSW and the media need to be a bit more humble about that win and how good the side is.
Momentum and fatigue, penalties got then in the first half and poor defence mainly on Val Homes side after Deardon / Sua slackened off to let the 1st try in
The first 5-10 I thought NSW forwards or backs did not put a dent in except for both Crichtons Even Lomax was getting pushed back

TheRev

First Grade
Cotter I would also put into that category
NSW and the media need to be a bit more humble about that win and how good the side is.
Momentum and fatigue, penalties got then in the first half and poor defence mainly on Val Homes side after Deardon / Sua slackened off to let the 1st try in
The first 5-10 I thought NSW forwards or backs did not put a dent in except for both Crichtons Even Lomax was getting pushed back
Yep this script played out in 2021.. we belted them 26-0 in game 2 (after losing game 1), and went on to lose Game 3.

Like you said, early in that game they were stopping us dead with their defence, I was quite surprised.. but it fell away quickly.. hoping we can do that again, but itll be a very different qld side.. then throw in hometown reffing.

I will say Lomax for all his strengths, his carries are pretty soft, he sits upright to be hit.. and he doesnt accelerate into the gap between players like most professional backs do.. even To'o who is nuggety, he darts much faster.. and hes also a line-break threat.

Latest posts