What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 V Warriors

betcats

Referee
That's the thing pushing an Origin player out because a guy carved up a woeful Warriors seems abit premature.

Maybe for 2020 but need a bigger sample size than one great game

Rest Maloney next week and have another look. He’s been in our system forever they must have a decent idea about him.

I’m sure jimmy is the best option for next year but I’d love to see the st Mary’s junior succeed at penrith.

I know it’s early in his fg career but Jerome reminds me of Cameron Munster a bit, playing style that is.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
After last night everyone seems to know, but lately this board has been filled with expert opinion that he wasn't up to first grade.

It happens with all our kids, they go from highly rated nyc players to not immediately having an impact at the next level so people start question how much potential they really have.

Luai has been earmarked as a future FGer since he hit nyc. Anyway the club in my memory has never consistently produced talented kids with great attitudes like we are now, they just keep coming. We even take guys like Katoa and heathro(hopefully...)and turn them into leaders.

Kev07

Juniors
Yeah I know I’m not knocking may at all I rate him highly but Luai is a better halves prospect and was clearys partner in that team.

A big part of what helped may achieve all those remarkable stats is the fact he played everywhere, he likely wouldn’t have done it just playing 6. He is a fantastic player I’m not taking anything away from him.
To lead try assists and linebreak assists over Cleary/Luai who only played in the halves that year shows his ability to ball play.
His reason for being moved was only his size.

betcats

Referee
I’d take a Mitchell Pearce level half if that’s the not good timeline. With our talent around him, NSWs talent around him in Origin and he has a very good career.

Would you take pearce level as the highest paid half in the game?

betcats

Referee
If it wins us comps yes.

Getting Pearce level for what it’s worth gives us a much better chance than getting Pearce level by overpaying for it. Nath will be better than that but the point is we don’t have to overpay, we clearly have options in the halves and to be honest we have a young forward pack that will make good halves look great.

betcats

Referee
Well he's worth more than Ben Hunt. Its just what you have to pay for halves atm

I don’t think he’s worth what Ben hunt is reportedly being paid, I think it would be a mistake for us to pay him that much.

Edit: I’m not comparing them as players, just Ben hunts hugely overpaid.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Cheers, We came to play for sure. You started well but really looked cooked by the 60th minute.

I thought we looked pretty inept and bereft of ideas from the beginning and cooked by about the 20th minute, but that's generous of you.

Luai pushed May out of the spine in that team, he and Cleary were the halves. May played everywhere else. Besides the fact it could hurt our chances for 2019 it would almost be to perfect if we could offload Maloney next season and put Luai in. He is the perfect partner for Cleary and they already know each other well having dominated nyc together.

Yep. If a guy has the talent to be playing in the halves or fullback, he should be in the halves. There’s a lack of creative talent around, why would you put him at FB unless there’s no other option?!

Having left foot & right foot kickers in the halves would also be great.

I’m talking in the future here, not in 2018.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
TheFrog's Player Ratings

Watene-Zelezniak 7
Crichton 6
Blake 8
Whare 7
Phillips 7
May 8
Luai 9
Merrin 7
Katoa 7
Tamou 7
Kikau 8
Yeo 8
Fisher-Harris 8

Egan 6
Harawira-Naera 7
Hetherington 8
Leota 7

Referee Rating Cummins (4)

chrisD

Coach
Beast performance. JFH animal. It is like there is no rhyme or reason to anything, just whatever the f**k on game day.

The club should also be mindful that Cleary will need someone with a bit of flair to play beside him, I don’t think we’re ever going to see Cleary as flashy half, his main skills are his running game, organisation & defence. The comparisons to Pearce make a lot of sense, but I’d say Cleary has a stronger running game. Something I’d like to see him do more.

OldPanther

Coach
Getting Pearce level for what it’s worth gives us a much better chance than getting Pearce level by overpaying for it. Nath will be better than that but the point is we don’t have to overpay, we clearly have options in the halves and to be honest we have a young forward pack that will make good halves look great.

That's a big if. The Roosters won one premiership and one spoon with him in 11 years. The premiership was more down to SBW and Jennings than Pearce IMHO.

And jimmy.

We have our version of those players(including the real BBQ) to compliment Cleary locked up long term with Luai being the the next in line for Maloney. I think whatever we pay Nathan will be worth it because we will be 2013 Roosters but more long term due to the efforts of Gus.

OldPanther

Coach
The club should also be mindful that Cleary will need someone with a bit of flair to play beside him, I don’t think we’re ever going to see Cleary as flashy half, his main skills are his running game, organisation & defence. The comparisons to Pearce make a lot of sense, but I’d say Cleary has a stronger running game. Something I’d like to see him do more.

Luai in 2 years.