What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs. Eels Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
Why is my post about Beale being the quickest being deleted? At least I can't see it. Big Pete can't hack being wrong?

You're not sourcing the article, that's against the rules.

You weren't proving me wrong either, just proving that you're a desperate gibberer who bases 100m sprints on 40m results.

no_try

Juniors
Anyone else think Glenn is more a leader of men than Parker?
Don't get me wrong, Parker play his guts out..but to me the younger players in the team really seem to look up to Glenn.

no_try

Juniors
Beale came from 10m behind him and ended up 15m in front.

Hold up. Am I missing something here?
For starters Beale was not even close to being 10m behind Gagai.
Gagai was maybe a step infront of him.
You can see the 10m marking.

54bqu1.jpg

And how does Beale end up being 15m in front?

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Hold up. Am I missing something here?
For starters Beale was not even close to being 10m behind Gagai.
Gagai was maybe a step infront of him.
You can see the 10m marking.

54bqu1.jpg

And how does Beale end up being 15m in front?

In front of Burt. Pete reckoned that Burt would have caught Beale. Beale gave him windburn.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
You're not sourcing the article, that's against the rules.

You weren't proving me wrong either, just proving that you're a desperate gibberer who bases 100m sprints on 40m results.

LOL it's still more proof than you've got. Beale was jogging from the 40 onwards.

no_try

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/young-gun-gerard-beale-states-compelling-case-for-role-in-brisbane-broncos-backline/story-fn2mcuj6-1225974274326

Happy now? Gagai's not even in the top 3 over 40m .No way in the universe not even yours Big Pete Gagai can outrun Beale over 40 or 100.

These tests are done during the preseason.
Do you think many of the players are at their peak when the tests are done?
I am yet to see Beale show any of this lighting speed he is supposed to have.
Side note. Wendell Sailor holds the 40m record at the Broncos.

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: so much butt-hurt from the irrelevant Seagulls supporter.

First off, you're a dummy who couldn't follow a simple instruction.

Second off, that article is over 6 months old and is based purely on a 40m race. Who knows what condition both guys were in at the time?

Third, Gagai streaked away before Beale even gave up.

Lastly, if Beale can run faster than Gagai, great, I'd love to see him do it on the field. Because he sure didn't do it last night. You know who ran faster? The guy everybody is awarding a point to. It's a classic wingers try and when points were of the premium it was very important.

Last edited:

Seagullsrock

Juniors
These tests are done during the preseason.
Do you think many of the players are at their peak when the tests are done?
I am yet to see Beale show any of this lighting speed he is supposed to have.
Side note. Wendell Sailor holds the 40m record at the Broncos.

Hahahahaha and you think they are after 17 rounds of footy:lol::lol::lol::lol:Idiot

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Gagai made 5 tackle breaks. Not bad for a small winger! And yeah he is gonna get smashed around a bit, he's young and needs another pre-season. Anyway plenty of other NRL wingers get smashed taking kick returns.

I don't know how you can compare speeds like that, you are always a bit slower with ball in hand. And plus Gagai had gotten through a fair bit of work and made some good runs before the intercept, so he had a bit of juice taken out of him. To me it looked like Gagai maintained excellent speed over the entire distance.

Snappy

Coach
There's no need for seagullsrock to even comment in this forum, but he still does. Claims not not be interested in the NRL, and finds any excuse to badmouth it, and then is on here every week bagging out broncos players. why bother, If ya dont like it bugger off.

Dazzat

First Grade
Speed is a great asset in league but it's not everything. Examples? Leon Bott ... extremely fast and where is he now? Darren Clarke - Australian 400 metre champion and Olympian tried league but went no where. Lee Oudenryn ... fastest player in league in 1992 ... now most people wouldn't even know who he was.

No ... it's the subtle skills such as swerve, guile, step, evasiveness that make the difference in rugby league. Look at Justin Hodges ... not the fastest guy in the world, but one of the devastating centres to ever play the game.

Dane Gagai ... from what I've seen so far, not much to crow about, but I'm willing to give him another year. He gets pushed back in the tackle far too much, so obviously needs to learn to position his body at the point of impact.

I don't think he's a winger ... probably more suited to centre or event 5/8 as I know he has some ball skills. Time will tell.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I know Chris Walker is .........well, he's Chris Walker

But

Gagai did very well to out muscle him and bump him off to score his 1st try. Didn't have a lot of room to work in.

Chris Walker has muscled up a bit in his twilight years.

Gagai V Copely for me atm is a no brainer. Send Copely back to the QRL for a while with the rest of the guys who aren't quite up to NRL standard.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I know Chris Walker is .........well, he's Chris Walker

But

Gagai did very well to out muscle him and bump him off to score his 1st try. Didn't have a lot of room to work in.

Chris Walker has muscled up a bit in his twilight years.

Gagai V Copely for me atm is a no brainer. Send Copely back to the QRL for a while with the rest of the guys who aren't quite up to NRL standard.

Walker was offside and his momentum was going backwards. He's not NRL standard anyway.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Yeah as I said, Chris Walker IS Chris Walker. Not a noted defender even in his younger days

none the less

the kid scored twice

and he got a lot more involved than Copely did on Friday night.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Speed is a great asset in league but it's not everything. Examples? Leon Bott ... extremely fast and where is he now? Darren Clarke - Australian 400 metre champion and Olympian tried league but went no where. Lee Oudenryn ... fastest player in league in 1992 ... now most people wouldn't even know who he was.

No ... it's the subtle skills such as swerve, guile, step, evasiveness that make the difference in rugby league. Look at Justin Hodges ... not the fastest guy in the world, but one of the devastating centres to ever play the game.

Dane Gagai ... from what I've seen so far, not much to crow about, but I'm willing to give him another year. He gets pushed back in the tackle far too much, so obviously needs to learn to position his body at the point of impact.

I don't think he's a winger ... probably more suited to centre or event 5/8 as I know he has some ball skills. Time will tell.

Can I add Shane Whereat to your list of speed but its not everything.;-)

IBA

Juniors
I just watched the first half which I missed the other night.

I would be starting Gagai over Copley. I have a running history of being thoroughly underwhelmed by Copley... I actually think Beale had a very strong game. I'm assuming he is going to hold the wing spot when we return to a full strength (pending T'eo) team in a couple of weeks. Reed had one of those games everyone has. The one thing i will say, he still defended strong and he felt every mistake - he didn't drop his bundle and give up so I was very happy to see him handle it well.

This pressure from Baptiste for the number 9 has really seemed to make Mac step his game up. One of his best. Halves were definately a little flat. Pretty weak forward pack though so never really got on a roll there. I think Gus said it was like the warm up of a tennis match, just going through the motions back and forward. Neither team really had any spark...

Some nice pieces of goal line defense.

3. McCullough
2. Gillett
1. Beale (for being strong out of position, definately not a center but turned in a great game)

no_try

Juniors

We all know that you need more than just speed to make it.
You probably haven't seen enough of Gagai because he is exactly how you described Hodges - swerve, guile, step, evasiveness.

qld aussie

Juniors
1. Matt Gillett
2. Andrew Mccullough (best game so far this year)
3. Dane Gagai/Gerald Beale

Where to put all players next game?????????
1. Josh Hoffman
2. Jahral Yow Yeh
3. Gerald Beale
4. Justin Hodges
5. Dane Gagai
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew Mccullough
10. Corey Parker
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday