What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Melbourne

2010Dragons

Bench
Storm have the highest Handling errors ( 77) in the NRL stats. Our in your face fast defensive line speed will force the storm into plenty of errors.

Suliasi Vunivalu has second highest error count in the NRL. Send plenty of pressure kicks at him and run plenty of running plays at him then reap the rewards.

Dragons 12+

getsmarty

Immortal
lawrieb-180526-gp-05.jpg

DRAGONS

Bench spot up for grabs for rookie Dragons
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 4 Jul 2018, 07:15 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has placed the lure of a regular place on the competition leaders' interchange bench in front of his rookie forwards heading into Thursday night's clash with Melbourne at AAMI Park.

With Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims on State of Origin duty with NSW, McGregor has called on Jacob Host, Luciano Leilua, Blake Lawrie and Hame Sele for the Storm clash, a contest that could decide whether the Dragons remain top of the table.

A loss in Melbourne would see South Sydney join them on 26 points at the top of the Telstra Premiership ladder as the Rabbitohs have a bye. If St George Illawarra were beaten by more than 15 points they would drop to second on for-and-against.

McGregor has been planning for the absence of his Origin stars, including halfback Ben Hunt, since the start of the season. Host, Leilua, Lawrie and Sele have all been given a taste of NRL action to prepare them for Thursday night’s match.

McGregor disappointed for Hunt

Host, who started in place of Frizell in last Thursday night's 20-18 defeat of Parramatta, has played three NRL matches, while Leilua has come off the interchange on five occasions and Lawrie and Sele have featured twice each in the top grade.

If the Dragons remain at full strength, there is one position up for grabs alongside Jeremy Latimore, Leeson Ah Mau and Jason Nightingale on the interchange and the rookie quartet will have the opportunity to push their claims for that spot against the Storm.

"We haven't had many injuries this year and certainly the guys who are coming into the game tomorrow night have had a lot of education around their mental approach as well as their physical approach, and there is obviously the opportunity that they can force their way into a football team that is going well in first grade," McGregor said.

"There is a lot of excitement in the shed, with those guys who have been waiting for this opportunity, and they need to go out there and really give their all."

Host, Leilua and Lawrie will start in the back row, while Sele has been named on the bench, along with Latimore, Nightingale and rookie hooker Reece Robson, who has played one NRL match this season.

"We have had a big focus on being ready for the step up when we are needed, putting in the hard yards at training and doing the little things in reggies [Intrust Super Premiership]," Host said.

"I felt pretty comfortable taking Friz's spot and hopefully I can keep the consistency. I just had to mentally prepare myself for the starting role."

Leilua, who made an impact off the bench against the Eels and was only denied a try after video referee Ashley Klein ruled Jarryd Hayne had got a hand under the ball to prevent him grounding it, was told by McGregor to prepare for an 80-minute stint in place of Sims.

seleh-180325701.jpg

St George Illawarra forward Hame Sele. :copyright:NRL Photos
"I have just got to be mentally prepared and get my head around starting," Leilua. "I would love to get a starting spot but Mary is going to pick the best 17 each week and as long as I am in the 17 I am happy."

Halfback Darren Nicholls, 29, will make his NRL debut in place of Queensland's Ben Hunt, becoming the oldest player to do so without having played elsewhere at an elite level since Illawarra Steelers fullback Mark Taylor in 1994, according to League Information Services statistician David Middleton.

McGregor questioned the Maroons decision to demote Hunt from halfback to the interchange bench after losing the first two matches.

"I'm happy for NSW because I'm a New South Welshman, but I am certainly disappointed on an individual basis for Benny," McGregor said.

"However, he will do a very good job off the interchange. With Benny coming on in that dummy half, which one would think, he could cause some trouble late in the game.

"It gives Queensland a different dimension but I still feel that Benny didn't do enough wrong."

Asked whether the Maroons had abandoned their so-called "pick-and-stick" policy, McGregor said: "Looks like it, doesn't it. They haven't lost for a while so I think losing challenges them in all different areas.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/05/bench-spot-up-for-grabs-for-rookie-dragons/

Old Timer

Coach
Does anybody else think that it is strange that 3 players are named in the starting line up yet they can't force their way onto the bench let alone into the starting side yet tonight they will be required to play big minutes?
Their path has been blocked by a back that has been dropped and a 31 year old who has not been promoted to the starting line up despite multiple absences.
I know the sheer number of holes to fill has caused part of the issue but if it is good enough for them to start ahead of Lats & Nighty then why not good enough to force their way permanently into the 17?

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Does anybody else think that it is strange that 3 players are named in the starting line up yet they can't force their way onto the bench let alone into the starting side yet tonight they will be required to play big minutes?
Their path has been blocked by a back that has been dropped and a 31 year old who has not been promoted to the starting line up despite multiple absences.
I know the sheer number of holes to fill has caused part of the issue but if it is good enough for them to start ahead of Lats & Nighty then why not good enough to force their way permanently into the 17?
I agree, it says it all really. They simply have not been given enough of a chance. Nighty on the bench seems a waste but does give that injured back cover i suppose.

st penguin

Juniors

The only strange one was Lats.

1. Nicholls into starting lineup is obvious
2. Nighty is still providing backup for an unchanged backline

Should be interesting to see how some of these youngsters go.

hewi

Bench
The only strange one was Lats.

1. Nicholls into starting lineup is obvious
2. Nighty is still providing backup for an unchanged backline

Should be interesting to see how some of these youngsters go.

Hopefully as they have the opportunity to shine they will grab it , play out of their skins and blow the evil Stormsters way way away.

BennyV

Referee
Storm have the highest Handling errors ( 77) in the NRL stats. Our in your face fast defensive line speed will force the storm into plenty of errors.

Suliasi Vunivalu has second highest error count in the NRL. Send plenty of pressure kicks at him and run plenty of running plays at him then reap the rewards.

Dragons 12+
Our 'in your face fast defensive line speed' was lead heavily by JDB, Graham and Sims. 2 of these are out. I wouldnt count on us getting off the line for the full 80.

My big concern is actually our left edge more than our right. It has shown to be brittle at times in the last month and with Leilua expected to play big minutes, it could become very exposed.

MilanDragon

Juniors

I fully understand your point but it’s not necessarily strange when you look into it.

We lost 4 players from our forward pack, of which 3 are normally covered for on the bench (4th being a utility back playing minutes in the middle). So straight away one player was going to be selected that doesn’t necessarily play on the bench.

The big one is Lats, my thinking is that they want him to come off the bench to provide experience when one of Graham or LAM is off.

I would’ve even been tempted to start with Sele at 13, Lawrie at prop (or vice versus) and play LAM off the bench.. bring him on after 20 or so then play him rest of the match or until about 15 minutes to go.

OT the reality is we haven’t had injuries, so when were these players going to get more minutes? Latinore has more than done his job, LAM is easily a cut above.. that leaves two bench spots.. one was the coaches decision to have a utility on the bench.. leaving one spot for Lawrie/Host/Leilua/Sele. It’s better they’re getting 60+ minutes against men each week so their fitness isn’t too bad. Rather than spending 60 minutes on the bench for us each week

Gareth67

First Grade
I can only repeat what so many other members have said - may the ISP players all have a real dig in this match and play out of their skins . With a few hardheads such as Ah Mua and Graham leading the way we can be sure of a good showing against the Storm . The Dragons are capable of winning this match , but everything must fall into place for the team do so . dragons by 2 :innocent:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hey Frank,
I know it was probably just a typo but the game is on Thursday night. Would hate you or anyone to miss it. Should be vey interesting!
Thanks Drakon. No it wasn't a typo. I actually thought with only 4 games this weekend that the first game would be on Friday night. I actually probably would have missed it if it wasn't for your post.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I thought broncos in our season opener were favourites?
They opened favourites, but I think by kickoff we were into favourites. I think someone on this site said that was the case a while ago, when I said that the only game that we weren't favourites this year was against Brisbane.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Raining here in Melbourne this morning. Overcast day ahead with potential rain for tonight.

A dry track would suit us better as we have our backline in place.

They’re missing their backs, we’re missing our pack. Normally a pack wins out, hopefully we can be that exception!

For some reason I’m not too worried about the game tonight, I think if we go in with no pressure we may just get the result!
We are both missing 4 top line forwards each. They will be missing Jesse Bromwich, Kassiano, Finucane and Glasby.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I believe Melbourne deserve to be favourites, Origin is uncharted territory for our team and they have had years to refine their backup team.

That said, I would not be surprised at all with a Dragons victory. I think it's 60/40 in our favour. I will be very impressed with a win here, no matter how scrappy it might be.

Thier backs, no matter how promising Huhges, Blair, Scott and whoever the hell Olam is, they are no where near the finished first grade article.
On experience alone this should not even be close.

It will be, but it shouldn’t

On another note, Storm have 77 handling errors this year, most of any team.
Hopefully that will continue tonight.

Given all that, how the bookies have them at $1.54 and us at $2.50 is beyond me, but that’s what 14 losses in a row in Melbourne will do I suppose.

Latest posts